Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have 7 characters, is that right?

WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

Hi. I have just recently started playing LotRO again last week after a long time away from the game. The last time I played was before the game became F2P but I did log in when Turbine closed the Codemasters side of things and done the server transfers so that is all OK.

My query is after reading a lot about the F2P guides about the Premium Account entitlements was that it said you get 3 character slots and an extra 2 slots if you bought Mines of Moria expansion, which I did therefore my total should be 5, but I have access to all 7 of my characters.

Is this right or an oversight by Turbine?

If so, if I subscribe for a few months then revert back to F2P, will I still have access to all 7 characters?

Any advice will be appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542

2 cents from f2p.

As f2p you are entitled to 2 characters per server. Buying Mines of Moria entitles you to +2 characters per server: total 4 characters.

If you pay for a game, you cannot revert to f2p: spending real cash will make you Premium.

If you had 7 characters as vip (5 per server + 2 for Mines of Moria) and become Premium - you theoretically should be entitled for 3 per server + 2 for Mines of Moria characters. In theory, 2 of your toons should become inaccesable, unless you subscribe,

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I also have 7 but if I try and play as an unsubbed premium, only 5 can be active. They will force you to select the 5 you want.

Similar, if you have a standard freemium account, you make 3 characters but if you upgrade to premium it opens 2 new slots. Again, if you let your account slip back to unsubscribed premium, you have 2 gray out.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

Thanks for the replies guys. I am still stumped as I am playing as Premium (when the servers are up) but can access all 7 characters. I even deleted my bank alt and made a new character which was OK and even had 5 bags to start with instead of the supposed 3.

I'm thinking there must be a glitch with my account (which I am not complaining about) as I have searched the LotRO forums for answers and the internet in general and I cannot find any other similar scenario to this.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

It is indeed strange, and if you haven't purchased character slots before (of which you would remember for sure :) ) it is most likely a bug / glitch.

From my experience (also former Codies player with Moria, after the server move under Turbine I cancelled the sub and switched back to Premium) you (normally) should have only  5 slots: 3 from premium and +2 from Moria. Just as free2play posted, after I cancelled I too had to choose 5 from my 7 alts to set active, and then had to buy 2 more character slots from the Store.

"If so, if I subscribe for a few months then revert back to F2P, will I still have access to all 7 characters?" That's a very good question :) and since it's a new issue (premium with 7 slots), I think nobody can give a 100% answer for it.

It all depends how much do you need those VIP months. If I were in your shoes, I think I wouldn't risk the two free slots :) (although it's not that expensive purchase if in a worst case scenario they'd revoke them after your vip expires.)

I agree, thanks Po_gg. I'll just carry on as normal for the time being and be thankfull for what I have and level my alts, earn TP's for the RoI and RoR expacs.
    Originally posted by Scummyman
    I agree, thanks Po_gg. I'll just carry on as normal for the time being and be thankfull for what I have and level my alts, earn TP's for the RoI and RoR expacs.

On a second thought... sorry, but to be honest nowadays everybody seems to forget this option, and I personally didn't had it as well, that's why I haven't thought of it at the previous post:

back at the Mirkwood days, have you preordered Mirkwood? It was called Adventurer's Pack, and It also had +2 character slots, so if you bought that too, then there's no glitch, you have 3+2+2=7 slots rightfully. (and with vip you'll have 9)

There isn't much info on it on faq's and forum, it was a pretty rare thing, I personally don't know anybody who bought that - and I know a lot of LotRO players... :) Just somehow it came to my mind that before f2p some people had 9 characters, not only 7 and they were worried what will happen with the change.

I never pre ordered SoM and I don't recall buying the Adventurers Pack. I did think I may have done as I have the 7 chars and I also have 20 shared storage which were part of that pack but I don't have the Goat mount that came with it so I couldn't have bought it, I think.

Getting older sure has pointed out the fact my memory isn't what it used to be.

Good ol'buddy with googgles ( 8) ) found this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/lotro-mirkwood-priced-for-europe

It states that here in Eu there was a standalone cheap version ("Finally, you can pick up the Adventurer's Pack on its own for £4.99 / €6.99") and the previous paragraphs indicate that cloak and mount was separate - though free. It has a chance that the 5pound/7Euro version only contained the character slots and the shared storage.

I mean, before f2p there wasn't any other way to get it, I for example didn't had shared storage until I bought it from the ingame Store. So if you sure you didn't buy it from the Store after f2p, there's a very high chance you bought Adventurer's Pack in the past :)

That is what I must have done. That is great news and thank you very much for taking the time to find that out, very much appreciated. My memory is worse than I thought (I have started to write everything down, it's that bad) but I can now sub for a few months without worrying about losing my characters. That is a lot of my mind, thanks again :D

No problem, glad I could help :)

When you sub, you'll see right away whether you have Adventurer's pack or not, because you should see 9 character slots. And if you still see only 7... well, probably before subscribe make a screenshot of your login screen (Premium, 7/7 slot) and based on that you can start bugging the Customer Service that you didn't get your +2 slots with the subscription :)

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Po_gg is right, only way to turn up at 7 char slots on a premium account is the adventurers pack. The deal btw was that if you buy the adventurers pack(which was announced the same time as the mirkwood expansion) you get the expansion for free once it releases. Considering they both cost about the same quite alot of people took that offer, but it might very well have turned into "preordered mirkwood expansion" further down the memory lane as that was the primary motivation behind taking the offer.

The goat and cloak have to be claimed per character btw, they don't apply automatically.

Also you can never be at 4 chars(unless you you buy 2 charslots as a F2P or 1 as a Premium).

2 for F2P

+1 Premium

+2 MoM

+2 Adventurers pack

+2 ViP

All +2 options automatically infer the premium +1. So you can be:

2 chars F2P

3, 5 or 7 chars Premium

5, 7 or 9 chars ViP

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by Scummyman

Thanks for the replies guys. I am still stumped as I am playing as Premium (when the servers are up) but can access all 7 characters. I even deleted my bank alt and made a new character which was OK and even had 5 bags to start with instead of the supposed 3.

I'm thinking there must be a glitch with my account (which I am not complaining about) as I have searched the LotRO forums for answers and the internet in general and I cannot find any other similar scenario to this.

It's the same for me and it has always been this way. I assumed this was how it was for everyone.

They have Free, Prem, Inactive VIP and VIP. I've always been VIP or inactive VIP and with the Moria expack I had 5 slots inactive, 7 Active. Much the same with Gold locks. Different people say they have different Gold locks. I never have gold locks, never had gold sent to escrow. It might be something with accounts that were activated with a store bought code as opposed to accounts just invented with an email.