Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW survivor after 3 wks in GW2

Comments

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Kamandi777

Goofy, meaningless, no goals, no friends, no fun.  

Now, that is finally a review I can agree with.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by itgrowls

People might be ripping him a new one on here for making broad general statements about most of the gameplay however there's one thing that no one can honestly claim is wrong. And that's the sorry excuse for rewards system this game gives you now.

It's so bad that completing maps doesn't even give you good gear. So basically there's no reason to do anything on the game, 0 rewards = 0 rewards.

Do pvp 0 rewards, do wvw 0 rewards, do dragon events 0 rewards, do dungeons tokens for looks, do open world events 0 rewards, do map completion 0 rewards, discover hidden chests 0 rewards.

They need to fire the economy guy and that woman from Nexon and then maybe they'll have a stable economy in this game. $50 to gear your first 80 in exotics is not a good investment sorry.

While I agree with you somewhat on the point of map completion for the lower levels (although you do get crafting mats and keys for chests which are nice), the higher level maps give you rares and exotics when completed, you can sell them for a nice price on the Auction House.

If you do daily achievement every day while leveling up your character you have enough karma from jugs and events to buy a full exotic karma set when you're level 80. Or you could do some dungeons and you will have exotic set in a week. Or farm a couple of days in orr and you have enough gold to buy an exotic set off the Auction House. So it's not that difficult to get an exotic armor set (which is barely better than rare armor sets, stat wise).

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Jerkbag

Not the games fault you have no friends 

most rewards were very dumb i agree

where i think it failed was absolutely no end game unless you try for those legendary weapons but seriously the time that you would spend on gathering all the required materials is stupid

100% of th people i joined with quit 3 weeks after hittin max level

was a fun game though just got hell boring

It couldnt fail at end game because they stated there was none.  What you did at start is what you would do at max level.  So you failed for not understanding that.

Second they also said there would be no progression and that has been the main sticking point for those who dislike GW2.  It doesn't make the game an "epic fail"  (you kids kill me with that), just a game that doesnt cater to your tastes.

I love progression and grind, as thats how RPGs started.  But that doesnt prevent me from logging in to GW2 every now and then to whack some things and see more of the quality world.

You dont have to love GW2 (or any game for that matter), but stop with the calling the game a failure and just say you dont like it (for one reason or another).  We (most) are smart enough to determine if a game is fail or not for themselves.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by itgrowls

They need to fire the economy guy and that woman from Nexon and then maybe they'll have a stable economy in this game. $50 to gear your first 80 in exotics is not a good investment sorry.

I see you found a new misinforming leit motiv, but anyone actually playing the game knows you don't need any kind of "real" money to get a character fully geared in exotics.

Im sorry... I love your avatar! :-)   Totally fits the thread.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

where i think it failed was absolutely no end game unless you try for those legendary weapons but seriously the time that you would spend on gathering all the required materials is stupid

It couldnt fail at end game because they stated there was none.  What you did at start is what you would do at max level.  So you failed for not understanding that.

Second they also said there would be no progression and that has been the main sticking point for those who dislike GW2.  It doesn't make the game an "epic fail"  (you kids kill me with that), just a game that doesnt cater to your tastes.

I love progression and grind, as thats how RPGs started.  But that doesnt prevent me from logging in to GW2 every now and then to whack some things and see more of the quality world.

You dont have to love GW2 (or any game for that matter), but stop with the calling the game a failure and just say you dont like it (for one reason or another).  We (most) are smart enough to determine if a game is fail or not for themselves.

There is no end game in MMO's - jeez. That is the point. They are continuing stories. If you want end game play, Skyrim. Even Rift, has no end game. This is due to the fact that you have to grind gear so you can compete in the newer expansion areas.

GW2 has progression - just not gear progression.

People complaining about GW2 is non-social. As I said earlier, FORCED GROUPING IS NOT SOCIAL - if anything it is anti-social. Been in gear grind games and left because it was a work obligation not fun. I find it a very social game - meybe because I am a social person.

If you are NOT having fun - don't play - it is simple. You are not paying a sub, so just leave. No one is asking you to play. GW2, as released had more content then WoW when it was first released and that is what you have to compare it to, not what WoW is now. Same with Rift and all the others.

Originally posted by botrytis

There is no end game in MMO's - jeez. That is the point. They are continuing stories. If you want end game play, Skyrim. Even Rift, has no end game. This is due to the fact that you have to grind gear so you can compete in the newer expansion areas.

People complaining about GW2 is non-social. As I said earlier, FORCED GROUPING IS NOT SOCIAL - if anything it is anti-social. Been in gear grind games and left because it was a work obligation not fun. I find it a very social game - meybe because I am a social person.

If you are NOT having fun - don't play - it is simple. You are not paying a sub, so just leave. No one is asking you to play. GW2, as released had more content then WoW when it was first released and that is what you have to compare it to, not what WoW is now. Same with Rift and all the others.

Well I define 'end game' as standard activities that conducted at max level.  Raiding. Dailies. etc.   I call it that because you cant raid until you are max level so its content gated for the 'end' -- but I understand and pretty much agree with your point.  MMORPGs are 'endless' regardless of the content involved.

GW2 may have progression ... but it doesn't do a good job of *showing me* progression.  My opinion of course.  I dont feel stronger at level 21 than I did at 10.  And we could chalk that up to my 'old school' mindset but it is an aspect that I enjoy.  But again, the lack of what I look for in terms of progression isn't enough for me to completely stop playing... it just holds me back from fully investing as I do in other MMORPGs I play.

100% agree with forced grouping.  Cant stand it.  Antiquated model that has to go away.  It should always be optional.

I socialize in all MMOs I play so I dont relate to the non-social argument. 

And thats the best part.  There is no sub. So I have no issue logging in once a month and having fun.  Guarenteed if this was a sub game it would have been un-installed months ago.

I think GW2 has promise and curious what it will look like in a year or so as they build up momentum.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Well I define 'end game' as standard activities that conducted at max level.  Raiding. Dailies. etc.   I call it that because you cant raid until you are max level so its content gated for the 'end' -- but I understand and pretty much agree with your point.  MMORPGs are 'endless' regardless of the content involved.

GW2 may have progression ... but it doesn't do a good job of *showing me* progression.  My opinion of course.  I dont feel stronger at level 21 than I did at 10.  And we could chalk that up to my 'old school' mindset but it is an aspect that I enjoy.  But again, the lack of what I look for in terms of progression isn't enough for me to completely stop playing... it just holds me back from fully investing as I do in other MMORPGs I play.

100% agree with forced grouping.  Cant stand it.  Antiquated model that has to go away.  It should always be optional.

And thats the best part.  There is no sub. So I have no issue logging in once a month and having fun.  Guarenteed if this was a sub game it would have been un-installed months ago.

I think GW2 has promise and curious what it will look like in a year or so as they build up momentum.

Well, people can take RAIDING and stuff it where the sun never shines. It is non-sensical and totally non-social.   You are a dinosaur my friend. I found Rift's end game raids to be stupid and nonsensical - no socialization just be there it is a job or you are fired. Sorry, one job (I get paid for it!) is enough for me.

WOW - you get the idea about GW2 - you don't feel stronger, you can't one shot lowbie mobs. That is the point, you are a normal person that is called on to an extraordinary thing. It is one thing, as in Rift or TSW, to be calles special, hero, etc. and another to rise above the common to do an uncommon thing.

Well, people can take RAIDING and stuff it where the sun never shines. It is non-sensical and totally non-social.   You are a dinosaur my friend. I found Rift's end game raids to be stupid and nonsensical - no socialization just be there it is a job or you are fired. Sorry, one job (I get paid for it!) is enough for me.

WOW - you get the idea about GW2 - you don't feel stronger, you can't one shot lowbie mobs. That is the point, you are a normal person that is called on to an extraordinary thing. It is one thing, as in Rift or TSW, to be calles special, hero, etc. and another to rise above the common to do an uncommon thing.

I may be.. but it doesnt invalidate what I value as fun.   Their presentation of 'extraordinary' comes off as shallow to me.  I don't feel extraordinary.  EQ2 as an example does a better job of having a common (class) do both common and uncommon things.

Again, at the end of the day it comes down to playing what holds your interest for whatever reason.  I am glad for all of those fully enjoying GW2 now and in the future.  But I'm also glad I have other options to maintain mine.

Diversity is the key.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Just want to comment on that "it takes 50$ to gear up" nonsense.

Once you hit 80 you can go farm Karkas with others (there are always people around doing that) - 30 minutes with mf gear gets you 1 - 2.5 gold. One piece of exotic equipment costs 3 - 5 gold.

Few hours of farming and you have the best gear availabe, with the stats you want for your char.

Not knowing about Karkas and Orr farming just means you should ask people ingame of how to make money, rather than grabbing your CC.

Harbinger of Fools
  • AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Kamandi777
    PVE? Have no idea after 3 weeks how to get into a dungeon...seriously.  Guildies seem to be doing them but when I asked about joining...nothing.Oh and I dare you to roll a Thief and do the "My Story" chapter "Down the Hatch"--mindlessly absurd.  Beyond description how bad it was.  I thought it was bugged but no--it was designed to take like 3 hours.  Rewards? Some xps, a few coins and gear--once again--I didn't need. #EPICFAIL

I'm not one to advocate Guild Wars 2. But my first character was a thief. I've done that mission on it as well as two more times on alts. It took 20 minutes at the most.

Dungeons are easy to get into if you know how to ask or use the lfg website.

This isn't a problem with the game. I think this a problem with the player.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Just want to comment on that "it takes 50$ to gear up" nonsense.

Once you hit 80 you can go farm Karkas with others (there are always people around doing that) - 30 minutes with mf gear gets you 1 - 2.5 gold. One piece of exotic equipment costs 3 - 5 gold.

Few hours of farming and you have the best gear availabe, with the stats you want for your char.

Not knowing about Karkas and Orr farming just means you should ask people ingame of how to make money, rather than grabbing your CC.

Money is incredibly difficult to farm in this game.  You were extremely fortunate getting that many powerful bloods in that time period.  ANet has put the clamps down on money making in this game for obvious gem related reasons.  I farmed karma for my exotics and that took weeks and weeks of heavy playing, which is fine but not simple.

The only thing I agree with OP on is that the map completion rewards should not be random.  I rarely got something I could actually use.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

GW2 is the only recent MMORPG that I know of that actually FORCES you to GROUP with people around you: it happens automatically, you have no choice other than to move to another place or ask the persons to move somewhere else.

Other games make grouping far more efficient than soloing and that's what people called "forced grouping", because even though they have the choice to solo, they feel forced to group to progress efficientely. However, I repeat: GW2 actually forces you to group. Then again fanatics may argue that the auto-grouping is not "real" grouping, but let's see first if any fanatic will attempt to do that argument :D.

As for a game being social as in "encouraging people to be social": I believe that to achieve it you both need to provide what I would call  interdependency and the tools to be social. GW2 provides many tools for people to socialize, but lack in the other area. 

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

GW2 is the only recent MMORPG that I know of that actually FORCES you to GROUP with people around you: it happens automatically, you have no choice other than to move to another place or ask the persons to move somewhere else.

Other games make grouping far more efficient than soloing and that's what people called "forced grouping", because even though they have the choice to solo, they feel forced to group to progress efficientely. However, I repeat: GW2 actually forces you to group. Then again fanatics may argue that the auto-grouping is not "real" grouping, but let's see first if any fanatic will attempt to do that argument :D.

As for a game being social as in "encouraging people to be social": I believe that to achieve it you both need to provide what I would call  interdependency and the tools to be social. GW2 provides many tools for people to socialize, but lack in the other area. 

Yeah, people keep grouping to do quests and level in other MMORPGs. Right.

GW2 grouping is just free people playing, with no mandatory bonds, with no power over one another.

Generally my group of friends include people I don't work with or I need for any survival reason.

And because I need the baker to get bread it doesn't make him my friend.

It is telling that people have to compare GW2 persistant world experience to other games instances (you have to be talking about instances because questing with other people in games like WoW is actually less efficient since you compete for mobs and their drops to complete the quests).

Playing an event, a game together, is social by definition.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Yeah, people keep grouping to do quests and level in other MMORPGs. Right.

GW2 grouping is just free people playing, with no mandatory bonds, with no power over one another.

Generally my group of friends include people I don't work with or I need for any survival reason.

And because I need the baker to get bread it doesn't make him my friend.

It is telling that people have to compare GW2 persistant world experience to other games instances (you have to be talking about instances because questing with other people in games like WoW is actually less efficient since you compete for mobs and their drops to complete the quests).

Final Fantasy XI. grinding in group is far more efficient than grinding solo; people call this "forced grouping". 

RF Online and Lineage2: similar story.

GW2's forced grouping is the solution they had to avoid the "KSing and griefing" that can happen in other games. I can at no point say "I dont want my effort to benefit that other person that has been attacking the monster" like you can in other games, you are forced to be in a group through auto-grouping. GW2 has actually removed the freedom to say "no, I do not wish to cooperate with you" that would be a choice in other MMORPGs in such situations, and you seem to applaud it. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Final Fantasy XI. grinding in group is far more efficient than grinding solo; people call this "forced grouping". 

GW2's forced grouping is the solution they had to avoid the "KSing and griefing" that can happen in other games. I can at no point say "I dont want my effort to benefit that other person that has been attacking the monster" like you can in other games, you are forced to be in a group through auto-grouping. GW2 has actually removed the freedom to say "no, I do not wish to cooperate with you" that would be a choice in other MMORPGs in such situations, and you seem to applaud it. 

this is one of my favorite aspects of the game.. the whole game was made centered around coorperation.. everything is designed for you to want others around you. I prefer this over the other way anyday. When i first played Rift i thought the soft grouping feature was great and this takes that concept even further and I love it. If it was a open world PVP type game this would not work but obviously this game was designed for this system and I applaud them for doing something differn't and it works(for me)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

this is one of my favorite aspects of the game.. the whole game was made centered around coorperation.. everything is designed for you to want others around you. I prefer this over the other way anyday. When i first played Rift i thought the soft grouping feature was great and this takes that concept even further and I love it. If it was a open world PVP type game this would not work but obviously this game was designed for this system and I applaud them for doing something differn't and it works(for me)

What coorperation?  In GW2 you do things by yourself with others around you.  You rarely do things with other players.

Originally posted by SoMuchMass

What coorperation?  In GW2 you do things by yourself with others around you.  You rarely do things with other players.

I always play with others.. if you actually learn the combat system and not blindly run around rolling face on the keyboard there is ton of strategy and group play in the combat system.. why is it a good group can clear any dungeon in the game without a wipe while PUG players trip all over themselves and rage quit?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421

You sir are a genius been telling people that for months

Originally posted by Shrilly

what is end-game?

Originally posted by SoMuchMass

I always play with others.. if you actually learn the combat system and not blindly run around rolling face on the keyboard there is ton of strategy and group play in the combat system.. why is it a good group can clear any dungeon in the game without a wipe while PUG players trip all over themselves and rage quit?

You also have some intellegence this has to be one of the better threads for sure

what is end-game?

When you continue with the story its done you go around collecting astheticas getting the legendaries...which is just insane I always thought that maybe having a guild house to display accomplishments was always a good addition no one ever runs with that idea a place for your guild to hang out bring a new initiate to show off your skills (bosse's heads on the wall etc. it would only take up a little bit more on the servers for that but then again im rambling on about an idea haha your guild only gives you a sense of end game to me its being bonded then having the best that way i mean this is guild wars I think it would be cool with shadow behemuts head and in this way add a raid system with higher difficulty and it would increase game population i am telling you the reward is a exotic head of his it would be hard to get it would boost the economy because on the tp the only thing is cheap items and then the legendary higher higher insane items the heads would be middle ground something i always found lacking and thats an economy problem

what is end-game?

When you continue with the story its done you go around collecting astheticas getting the legendaries...which is just insane I always thought that maybe having a guild house to display accomplishments was always a good addition no one ever runs with that idea a place for your guild to hang out bring a new initiate to show off your skills (bosse's heads on the wall etc. it would only take up a little bit more on the servers for that but then again im rambling on about an idea haha your guild only gives you a sense of end game to me its being bonded then having the best that way i mean this is guild wars I think it would be cool with shadow behemuts head and in this way add a raid system with higher difficulty and it would increase game population i am telling you

endgame for me is PVP which is dynamic and never exactly the same as it is the nature of PVP.. what is engame for you in a themepark game? running raids over and over?

what is end-game?

When you continue with the story its done you go around collecting astheticas getting the legendaries...which is just insane I always thought that maybe having a guild house to display accomplishments was always a good addition no one ever runs with that idea a place for your guild to hang out bring a new initiate to show off your skills (bosse's heads on the wall etc. it would only take up a little bit more on the servers for that but then again im rambling on about an idea haha your guild only gives you a sense of end game to me its being bonded then having the best that way i mean this is guild wars I think it would be cool with shadow behemuts head and in this way add a raid system with higher difficulty and it would increase game population i am telling you

endgame for me is PVP which is dynamic and never exactly the same as it is the nature of PVP.. what is engame for you in a themepark game? running raids over and over?

1 raid factals is over and over im talkign i higher level diffulcty of behemut hes a single boss int he marshes an event for the guild instanced like story mode to distinguish the guilds ITS GUILD WARS they had the right idea for the story of the guild wars they should cash in on that idea they are sitting on thats great community and thats alwas something i wanted you could even display swords from defeated humanoid bosses...YOU COULD PVP AND GET TAPESTRYS OF THE GUILD IN A WAY TO HANG ON THE WALL IF YOUR GUILD WAS AWESOME IN PVP and sense its skill based push it to the next level they have a good system so it isnt like your doing it over and over your telling your team well if you do it like this this time and learn to put this there and explain strategy (wqhcih this game already talked about) and distinguish the good players through the guild I mean the guild wars was 3 wars with guilds controlling for power whoever did the best for humanity and that is what i am aiming for have a side that wants it for that reason or that and the ones that want the power battle in pvp over it and display it in the guild house you could make like a castle look inside white walls gold because you are the ones sitting in power you killed a lot of the other guilds in pvp so you get that look the others get similar looking i mean you can customize it (if you earn it the right look you want) ((omg they had that idea too asthetics you dont even need to change their viepoint here they are already using the system in place))(((and the ones that to pve can customize it the way they wwant 1s for power(PvP) ones for glory(PvE))))

what is end-game?

1 raid factals is over and over im talkign i higher level diffulcty of behemut hes a single boss int he marshes an event for the guild instanced like story mode to distinguish the guilds ITS GUILD WARS they had the right idea for the story of the guild wars they should cash in on that idea they are sitting on thats great community and thats alwas something i wanted you could even display swords from defeated humanoid bosses...

well guild quests are coming at the end of the month so thats a start for you.. game is new and offers more content imho than most themepark games do at launch and even a year from launch.. but it all depends what you like.. for me im'  an altaholic and how the questing and XP systems work its really an altaholics dream.. oh also guild halls are coming

what is end-game?

1 raid factals is over and over im talkign i higher level diffulcty of behemut hes a single boss int he marshes an event for the guild instanced like story mode to distinguish the guilds ITS GUILD WARS they had the right idea for the story of the guild wars they should cash in on that idea they are sitting on thats great community and thats alwas something i wanted you could even display swords from defeated humanoid bosses...

well guild quests are coming at the end of the month so thats a start for you.. game is new and offers more content imho than most themepark games do at launch and even a year from launch.. but it all depends what you like.. for me im'  an altaholic and how the questing and XP systems work its really an altaholics dream.. oh also guild halls are coming

So they got my idea before i could post it..dang (your saying guild wars 2 is adding the content i just described? then they boosted their economy and just added end game while also building community they just solved the MMO problem