Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any of you older gamers have reflex issues?

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I am going to be 40 next month. My reflexes are slower I am sure, but my attention span for games is no longer there. Which is I think is a bigger issue.

I can game on the PC a few hours a day 3-5 days a week now, where I used to spend much much more time in front of a monitor gaming. I have more time I could be gaming, but am finding other things that interest me more.

I love PC gaming, but the days of playing EQ or DAoC 60 + hours a week are long gone for me lol =) Now I am lucky to hit 15 hours on a good week.

MMOs are all about the time you put in ( most of them ). I just dont put in the time any more, therefore I am no longer a major player in PvE or PvP.

• SafoSafo Member UncommonPosts: 48

I have to agree with Sovrath, I'm 41 and haven't slowed down at all.

I do play alot of FPS games, so my twitch stays frosty.  I don't use any fancey mouse or Keyboard, just standard fare.. a regular ole 101 KB and 5 button mouse.  I have no problems being at the top of the heap in BF3 , Chivalry, etc. 

GW2 and Tera are just more icing on the cake.  Games like this keep my reflexs sharp.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Safo

I do play alot of FPS games, so my twitch stays frosty.  I don't use any fancey mouse or Keyboard, just standard fare.. a regular ole 101 KB and 5 button mouse.  I have no problems being at the top of the heap in BF3 , Chivalry, etc. 

GW2 and Tera are just more icing on the cake.  Games like this keep my reflexs sharp.

haha, would those around you say you haven't slowed down?  I am guessing 'your' answer will be 'no' so don't worry.  

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Nope, still playing the games I've always played. Always loved fps, and with the introduction of action (twitch) combat mmos I enjoy them so much more now.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

The only time it bothered me was when I was playing my engineer grenade specced in GW2. Instead of making grenades like every other game has since the dawn fo time to make it more comfortable for their players or like every other AOE ranged weapon every other class enjoys easily in game, they decided to make them a non-autocast #1 on the grenade kit not only be a ground targeted effect but also make them not explode on impact. 

It's like you have to be double jointed to make those things work or you have to make your left hand move the mouse while the right hand is playing the keys on the keyboard like a piano (if you're right handed that is) so you're tied in a pretzel when you are trying to dodge move and throw all at the same time.

What's sad about this is every other ranged class doesn't have that trouble, all of their ranged weapons have that do AOE's can just tab target and be done with it. The other thing that bothers me is there is this gang of engineers who think engineers should only be played by the leetists and think it's impossible for Anet to make a tab target explosive attack that explodes on impact and still remain balanced. I had to remind them of the Saboteur in Rift, never had that issue. That game rocked. I had plenty of AOE's to take out whole groups before they reached me on that game.

Originally posted by MightyChasm

haha, would those around you say you haven't slowed down?  I am guessing 'your' answer will be 'no' so don't worry.  

lol well sure there is that... the devil is in the details and all that.  Sometimes you feel like you lose a step but, thank god I'm not playing COD or anything in console land to make myself feel ancient as I get facerolled by some 10yr olds screaming the latest fould langauge they learned at school. :)

lol well sure there is that... the devil is in the details and all that.  Sometimes you feel like you lose a step but, thank god I'm not playing COD or anything in console land to make myself feel ancient as I get facerolled by some 10yr olds screaming the latest fould langauge they learned at school. :)

Mate, you want to see my latest effort to keep fit, pulled so many muscles it hurts to sit here responding to you.  

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I can tell my reflexes aren't what they were, and my wrists and back and ass start to hurt after playing for a couple of hours now, but I don't think that's the root of my problem. I like reflexive based games a lot better - maybe not as intensive as Street Fighter, but along the lines of GW2 - I find them to be a lot more fun than the old tab targeting models.

Mostly, I just don't want to devote the kind of time to games that I did in the past. It takes a lot of practice to get good and stay good at a game. I don't have that kind of time that I'm willing to commit any more. I used to play pretty seriously, and in some higher-tiered guilds in various games. No longer; I haven't been on a serious raid in ... years now.

I miss the intensity sometimes, but then I check up on message boards of guilds I used to play in, and see the drama and work that ~still~ goes on, and I think - "yeah, not worth it right now".

So I don't think it's so much that games have shifted to become more reflexive or that I've gotten slower and more crotchety, I think it's just that I don't want to devote the time to them.

Mate, you want to see my latest effort to keep fit, pulled so many muscles it hurts to sit here responding to you.  

That just shows how dedicated you are to these forums.  As a gamer you can't be bothered by little things like pulled muscles, a sore back, arthritis, carapule tunnel, young kids bouncing on your junk.  You grit your teeth, you suck down a bottle of asprin, slap on some Heatpads and fire up that PC and bring the pain!

• KualaBDKualaBD Member UncommonPosts: 131

I'd have to agree with Kara on Atlantica Online.  If you don't mind Asian-styled f2p mmo's give it a shot.  It's also not overly cartoony.  I haven't made it to high levels yet so I don't know if it ends up being "must-pay" but the lower levels have not been dependant on cash so it's definitely worth a try.

There is also Jagged Alliance Online if you don't mind playing in a browser.  Quality-wise it's not as good as the actual Jagged Alliance games but it's decent at least for the lower levels I tried.

You can also check the Free-to-play section of Steam as they have a few turn-based ones in there too like the Pox Nora Kara mentioned.

That just shows how dedicated you are to these forums.  As a gamer you can't be bothered by little things like pulled muscles, a sore back, arthritis, carapule tunnel, young kids bouncing on your junk.  You grit your teeth, you suck down a bottle of asprin, slap on some Heatpads and fire up that PC and bring the pain!

Well was using beer as a painkiller, what is latin for that?

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    I'm not sure if my reflex have slowed down though I'm sure they have some. I will say that my taste has changed a lot and I prefer slower moving games. I also prefer less abilities on my bars these days over lets say wow and its 30 plus abilities with a big percent of them is very situational. 
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I'm in my 30s, I suppose in the gaming world that is old. To answer the question, no I don't think I'm suffering but I grew up on a lot of twitch games and I think that is the bigger factor. If you learned video games through slower or turn based I think you'd have trouble as you switch over.

Now as to another thing. I never knew those different keyboard setups existed and they look great for gaming. Mind = blown. Now I'm just sad I have a laptop for gaming these days and don't feel like using another keyboard plugged into a laptop.

Carpe Zytha...  Seize the Beers!  :D

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Try being in your 40's AND having australian latency (avg 300 ping).

Thats why I like my Lotro.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• DarthIxidorDarthIxidor Member Posts: 16
    I know I'm only 30, but I use a Naga and Nostromo from Razer and I can easily compete with almost anyone.

Be honest... did you use the google translator?

Nope didn't.  Tho I did use google to look up the latin for beer. :D   I actually did take a semester of latin in Uni. :)

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I'm 25 now and i've definitely noticed my hand eye coordination and response time getting slower.  I was at my peak when I was 16-17.  I could join a match in Counterstrike and just demolish the room, constantly getting headshots.  Same with Unreal Tournament 2k4 - I could join rooms and just demolish whole guilds.  I sometimes played with the bigboys who were in leagues and tournaments and I was never as good as they were, but I definitely could dominate in public rooms. 

I stopped gaming when I was a freshman in college.  I started gaining a little more weight, stopped playing sports, and basically when I went back to gaming, I just wasn't as dominate as I was - mmorpgs pvp included.

It sounds silly to say, but i'm a wiser gamer now; i'll take the time to learn the mechanics and then play rather then just dive in and grasp everything at a frantic pace - but my overall skill has definitely dropped.  I think being physically fit along with playing competitive sports again might improve things.

/shrug

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    I'm 41. Played competitive PvE and PvP in WoW for 7 years and later in TOR with no problems, doing quite well. Then i started LoL and boy i was in for a nasty surprise. This game is all about fast thinking and fast action / reaction and although i try real hard i just can't keep up with some of the 20 or 25 year old lads i play with or against. Even when choosing a champion with no skill-shot abilities my performance is just mediocre and sometimes my teammates yell at me because i do costly mistakes. It seems that i can't put my mind and reactions in overdrive any more like some years back. However i am quite stubborn and i keep on pushing and trying. image

Nope didn't.  Tho I did use google to look up the latin for beer. :D   I actually did take a semester of latin in Uni. :)

Sorry, just read this and fell in love with you a little

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

I can't say its all that I have slowed down or gotten old, I know for a fact a large portion of it is that I just don't care enough to try to keep up.

I used to get mad when I died in DAoC and was actually trying to kill folks, now I find more often than not I go into a BG, give it the ol' college effort to survive, take a guy out, die, shrug, watch TV for a couple minutes, then remember I'm still in PvP and go out again.

I like PvP and I like learning my classes, I just don't have enough competitive spirit left to stay on top of all effort people put into their games anymore.  Give me a template and I'll learn to use it without asking why it works.

With games like GW2 I gave effort in WvW but in PvE I barely could be bothered to dodge, let alone dance around like a fool for every kill.

I do like GW2's limited keybinds though, I also can't seem to be bothered to spider-finger around 40 hotkeys either lol.

Maybe I am just a slow lazy old fart.

Sorry, just read this and fell in love with you a little

is this a first date?

• SkrankenSkranken Member UncommonPosts: 100

32 years old here, feeling at the top of my game ;)

Only thing is I cant stay awake gaming until 7 in the morning like i could do 10 years ago.. Im usually in bed long before 3 now.   As long as my eyes work ill still gonna be able to enjoy my gaming, and when im 80 my grandchildren will control my characters for me on my command :D

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

In my teens and early twenties I was quite fast, but I had lousy, lousy accuracy. To make up for it, I learned to play the tactical or long game (especially with FPS deathmatches later on). I learned to dominate the map, work up some good sense of sound, develop useful deathmatch ESP and practically bore my opponents into defeat! :) I used to win hour-long deathmatches with scores like 1-0 or something, haha.

I still try to do the same in any game, which means in MMOs I try to make up for the lack of twitch & accuracy skills with knowledge of mechanics and use of terrain. But the truth is, when you face another player that does the same and has top-notch twitch to boost, you're pretty much toast. :) Because even for control play you still need good shooting and dodging (or movement or positioning) skills, or a good player will take you down with even a disadvantage.

Oh, well. I was never exactly champion-level in this stuff anyway, there's always someone better out there. You don't always win, and you don't always lose; just knowing I've played smartly, brought something to the team and maybe pulled off some nice moves is good enough for me. :)