Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any of you older gamers have reflex issues?

kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

Hey Folks;

I have been wondering if it's just me or if any of you other older gamers have any issues at all with the fast paced, relfex-centric MMO's that are available in today's market.

I am finding more and more as time goes on, that I really don't play well when it comes to the twitch gaming, button smashing games, which i used to thrive at.

Kinda made me wish longingly, for a newer more up to date Turn based combat MMO, something to give the older folks, like myself a few seconds to make that tactical decision, was watching/helping my granddaughter play a 101 game ( arrrr )  and was thinking man this is kinda nice, time to think about what you are doing, and still some MMO fun.

I wouldn't mind something like that f a little more adult oriented, for myself  and perhaps others in the reflex challenged generation.

Gaming online since  BBS's

Oh anyone who knows of a turn based combat MMO, toss it a mention :)

Edit: i am enjoying p101 myself now

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

Comments

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by kirak2009

Hey Folks;

I have been wondering if it's just me or if any of you other older gamers have any issues at all with the fast paced, relfex-centric MMO's that are available in today's market.

I am finding more and more as time goes on, that I really don't play well when it comes to the twitch gaming, button smashing games, which i used to thrive at.

Kinda made me wish longingly, for a newer more up to date Turn based combat MMO, something to give the older folks, like myself a few seconds to make that tactical decision, was watching/helping my granddaughter play a 101 game ( arrrr )  and was thinking man this is kinda nice, time to think about what you are doing, and still some MMO fun.

I wouldn't mind something like that f a little more adult oriented, for myself  and perhaps others in the reflex challenged generation.

I have a limited attention span problem.  I cannot be bothered to sit and concentrate relentlessly on a twitch mmo for hours. I have the TV on, or I am doing other things, and I do not want my entire evening to be spent solely starring at my monitor.  So yes, I also miss the more relaxed playstyles.  

Edit: I also enjoy P101 for the same reasons.  

• rnor6084rnor6084 Member UncommonPosts: 111

Same here.

Far as consoles go the more buttons on a controller the more confused i get. :)

My kids laugh at me. I think it is funny too ha! 

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

60 year old geezer here. I was afraid that GW2 would be unplayable but I managed to get skillful enough that it somewhat compensates for my poor reflexes. However, pvp and dungeons are out of the question - I would get kicked real fast.  

I had more trouble with Tera. I literally cannot play the game for more than 10 minutes (and have since given up) because it gives me motion sickness.  

I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that Wildstar, which I am REALLY looking forward to, won't give me the same issues as Tera. 

• rnor6084rnor6084 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by MightyChasm

Hey Folks;

I have a limited attention span problem.  I cannot be bothered to sit and concentrate relentlessly on a twitch mmo for hours. I have the TV on, or I am doing other things, and I do not want my entire evening to be spent solely starring at my monitor.  So yes, I also miss the more relaxed playstyles.  

Edit: I also enjoy P101 for the same reasons.  

Have to agree with this also. 

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Hey Folks;

I guess I've slowed down a bit but I've adapted pretty well. I probably can't jump around the keyboard like I use to but I changed my setup to fix that. 

Between the keyboard and mouse I don't have to be anywhere near as fast as I use to be. Everythings a great deal closer so while my APM should have decreased it's actually increased. Beyond my hands slowing down I can't say much else is an issue or bothers me. 

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    pirates 101 is turn based combat.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I like twich based games better now than when I was a kid but I'm also a lot more active now then when I was younger. the last thing I want to do is turn into a fat slob as I get older but I don't want to give up sitting on my ass playing games for large chunks of the day so... my work outs are more focused and more intense.
  • kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Hey Folks;

I guess I've slowed down a bit but I've adapted pretty well. I probably can't jump around the keyboard like I use to but I changed my setup to fix that. 

Between the keyboard and mouse I don't have to be anywhere near as fast as I use to be. Everythings a great deal closer so while my APM should have decreased it's actually increased. Beyond my hands slowing down I can't say much else is an issue or bothers me. 

LOL< i bought one of those mice? mouse, I bought a mouse likt that.... was always pushing the wrong buttons at the wrong time ,  nice setup though

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Hey Folks;

LOL< i bought one of those mice? mouse, I bought a mouse likt that.... was always pushing the wrong buttons at the wrong time ,  nice setup though

You could always grab a Razer Hex instead

Fewer buttons and spaced a bit differently. I found the center peg a good guide when getting ready to press a button. It would have to be paired with a regular keyboard though because the timberwolf lacks a number pad completely and I rely on my naga for that. 

Instead if you can find one you could do the Hex and a Wolfkinf Warrior or something similar. 

Wolfking Warrior

Cybersniper

• StormakovStormakov Member UncommonPosts: 200

I am only 26 years old but the truth is I am, if only a little, starting to notice I'm not as competent a gamer as I used to be during my late teens. This could be for a variety of reasons (more stress/responsibility, less time to dedicate to developing skill, yata yata yata) but it's still an annoyance for a person who used to always be a "top tier" player. I still thoroughly enjoy fast paced games such as TERA and Dota2/LoL, but as sad as it sounds I can start to feel the creep of age sneakily catching up with me.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Stormakov

I am only 26 years old but the truth is I am, if only a little, starting to notice I'm not as competent a gamer as I used to be during my late teens. This could be for a variety of reasons (more stress/responsibility, less time to dedicate to developing skill, yata yata yata) but it's still an annoyance for a person who used to always be a "top tier" player. I still thoroughly enjoy fast paced games such as TERA and Dota2/LoL, but as sad as it sounds I can start to feel the creep of age sneakily catching up with me.

lol that is likely due to less practice and nothing to do with aging (unless you are a fat slob and let yourself go). 26 years old isn't even the fully matured age for a male. Most pro athletes do not reach their peek until their very late 20's or early 30's. The ONLY thing stopping more athletes from performing at their best into their 40's is the tendency of injuries piling up that cannot be over come at that point. In actual fact, low impact endurance sports are typicaly dominated by people over 35.

The reason why peolpe keep their sharp skills is because they never stopped with fundamental training no matter what their skill is. Hand eye coordination required that you constantly keep practicing. Many teens are much more active than when after that person leaves school and enters the work force. You stop playing outside, you stop playing the sports you played and you stop organized practices for whatever you may be doing. Unless you keep it up along side real work or real school (ie. university/college) you start losing your edge. It has very little to do with age until likely 50+ when real health age related issues might just happen to begin for the average healthly person.

One other thing about laziness after entering the work force is that, depending on the type of work, many stop the learning process. They do not take more courses or bother to learn more things through traditional study and application. Your brain also requires constant training to keep problem solving and reaction time sharp.

The biggest reason why older players have issues with twitch style play is not the aging process (although this varies wildly amongst people and may be the prime reason for some) but that they never grew up in the computer age. Everyone up to about the age 45 right now could have grown up in the computer era and the age of video arcades. Obviously those numbers drop off the older one becomes due to out society's saturation with computer devices and access to the internet. I am 41 and have played video games since the 70's. I am in IT and feel every bit apart of the computer age. Others my age can't use a pc to save their life.

I'd contribute my gaming skills more to my life in competitive sports and natueral athleticism but certainly having plenty of practice in video games certainly helps. Aslo people who are older losing interesting in sitting at a pc for a long time isn't from lack of attention. They just bored ... as I do. I have other interests along side playing an mmo. In fact it is the younger generation who suffer from lack of attention. It is an epidemic actually. Due to smart devices dominating youth communication very serious studies are being made showing youth now is lacking the ability to focus on one thing only. Studies have shown that this "multi-tasking" practice is physically changing their how their brain is wired ... and not for the good. Human brains cannot multi-task ... period. It only starts to shift awareness over many things. Studies have shown this to be as bad or worse than driving impared. Even with any distractions (no phone, no passenger, etc) many youth showed their eyes wandered and their attention went to other things every few seconds when tested on single task practices. Once overwhelmed with tasks they quickly get swamped far more than older people not into the multi-tasking lifestyle.

You cannot change how we evolved over a million or move years. Your brains work a certain way and we are messing up our society massively with so many rapid changes. My tip is the zen the fuck out and keep your live simple and your basic skills sharp.

You stay sassy!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I never was very good, and I certainly don't have a lot of time to practice, so more action oriented combat style games dont' suit me.  I never learned to use a game controller, and have no real interest in doing so.

My reflexes are a bit slower as well, and my attention span of course suffers some, and I do enjoy a more casual game play style, it's how I was raised I guess.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Old fart, slow reflexes... Yes, I know the feeling.

Fighting mobs I have no problem because their evasion is limited.  PVP is out of the question for me even on tab targeted systems.  Just too slow and shaky.  Even 10 years back I was no good, but I still blame it on being older. *grin*

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    My PvP game has progessively gotten worse.  Even in TERA or GW2, the PvE game seems to be ok.  My all 3 of my kids destroy me in Temple Run though!  I'll be 39 this year so we'll see how the future holds for actiony MMO's for me.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    I don't have much problems...then again I'm never going to be at the top of the leaderboards. Well...except on a few occasions.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

As others have said, I prefer more relaxed gameplay, to a degree, since I generally do multiple things at once, like watch tv, drink, smoke, and play with myself while gaming. ;)

• AzaqinAzaqin Member UncommonPosts: 67

Yeah, I'm in my 40s and suffering from arthritis, so the twitch games really aren't a good option for me. I get by now using a combo of Logitech stuff. A G13 left hand pad, a Logitech MMO mouse, and a G110 keyboard. I prefer the Logitech over the Razer (which I also have) because the buttons are canted in a pattern and they are easier for me to locate. 

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Yes, I am not as quick in reflexes as I used to me, though I never was so quick as others. But I need a bit more handholding and comfort these days. It's partially more that things annoy me now, which I could handle or was willing to handle. Like I demand auto-turning these days. I just turn slower than I used to, and it wears me down, tires me much more quickly these days, when I have to focus so much a longer period of time.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Well the game I feel the most pain of getting older in has gotta be counter strike, damn those 10 years old kids screaming at me calling me a noob and I try to tell them that I played the counter strike beta 1.0 then they just laugh at me :)
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Azaqin

Yeah, I'm in my 40s and suffering from arthritis, so the twitch games really aren't a good option for me. I get by now using a combo of Logitech stuff. A G13 left hand pad, a Logitech MMO mouse, and a G110 keyboard. I prefer the Logitech over the Razer (which I also have) because the buttons are canted in a pattern and they are easier for me to locate. 

I like that logitech mouse there.  I have never seen it before but I bought a razor naga about 6 mounths ago and I couldn't quite adapt to it due to the button layout, but that logitech looks like ti will do the trick nicely. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

It is more the relentless staying in max-mode I find problematic now. 10 mins where I have to be 100% alert and fast is ok, but I need my downtimes where my head can catch up. I relax by gaming, so if a game stresses me by constantly requiring my complete focus, I don't get what I want from gaming.

Not only the faster pace plays a role to this, but also the increasing use of lighshow from every skill everyone use adds to the stress factor - Picking my nose doesnt have to show a woooush effect of blue light if you ask me :). I always appreciated the tactical aspects of fighting in mmorpgs, and if that is hidden too much behind reflex oriented combat, I loose interest faster than I used to I guess.

one-two what to do

three-four plan some more

five-six do my tricks

one-two what to do

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Have you tried atlantica or poxnora for turn based mmo's?

Also there's uncharted waters for a more grown up p101 style game.

Or the tactical nature of eve online?

• CheboyganCheboygan Member UncommonPosts: 36

definitely a problem even though i have never enjoyed PVP

my first dungeon (and my last) in GW2 i got kicked - by the people i invited in no less - and got called a leech to boot

strangely i'm quite enjoying "firefall" - although my hands tend to hurt after i'm done for the night i don't notice while playing - particulary my right hand - i'm left handed so i use the arrow keys for movement and to use the jumpjets (alot) you have to hit the space bar with the thumb - darn wireless keyboard has a very short space bar so it is a nice stretch for a thumb with arthritis in the joint at the palm

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

If you like turn based games you might want to check out XCOM and Jagged Alliance franchise too.

The older games are purely turn based, new ones can be paused with spacebar for tactical planning / or they enter in turn based gameplay once the combat starts.

Also, running with Merc Stealth keyboard and Razer Naga mouse here. It's the ultimate set for a guy like me who has stiff 9 fingers. They keyboard layout is very nice and you can't really tell you are missing one index finger. :)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I'll have to say no.

At least not yet.

I'm 46 and I find that games like Tera have been a blessing as I am a lot better at them than the older tab targeting games.

I have't discovered any reflex issues.

Of course, maybe you mean an even older age? If so then I'll have to get back to you. image

Also, I use a Razer Naga mouse and that has been a godsend.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo