Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting to get worried

tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

I was REALLY excited when I first heard about Wildstar (WS) and even more so after I saw the 20 minute long play video. However, I am now starting to get worried.

In last week's video they showed combat targeting. I am now concerned that they are going to go the "action combat" route that so many of the newest mmo's are doing. I don't like that type of combat. If I wanted to play an action oriented game I would play a console game or Diablo 3. I want to play an mmo rpg not an mmo fps.

In this week's news they mention the conflict between the Exiles and the Dominion. Two factions. OMG. I thought that game companies had begun to realize that it is three factions that mmo players are looking forward to. I know that I am. I am so tired of the dark versus light, alliance versus horde, red versus blue, et al. I notice that Rift has gone to three faction and Guild Wars 2 is looking very good.

I am still very excited about Wildstar. I love the graphics, I love the different paths, and I love the Sarge. I also like the amount of attention that the devs pay to their public. Still, for me at least, the warning signs are flickering.

Comments

• CRB_AtreidCRB_Atreid Member Posts: 3

Hello Tordurbar,

I saw your post and thought i would answer your worry regarding the combat aspect of WildStar. While we announced that we had a Free Form Targeting system, you also have the choice to play your MMO in a more traditional way. Right from the start, we wanted people to play the way they wanted and that's why we came up with the two schools. For people who like a more action playstyle, they have FFT; those who prefer a more classic experience, they can still play the TAB way.

Keep in mind as well, that we will have a fully moddeable UI which will allow you to customize your play style even more.

Despite us not being a three factions setting, I hope you will keep your eyes on WildStar because we have a lot more stuff to announce, feature wise.

Best!

CRB_Atreid

European Community Team Lead

Follow me on Twitter @CRB_Atreid

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

Thanks for the reply! I feel a little better about the combat now.

The two-faction environment is still an issue. After playing dozens of mmos over the years I have a personal opinion that game factions are created mainly for pvp. Although I do pvp on occasion (only in group instances, I am a noob one-on-one) pve is where I spend my time and have my fun. I know that an mmo must have pvp to survive but the two-faction environment almost always becomes unbalanced.  Un-balancing quickly generates a "this game sucks" response.

I feel that this happens because there is always an "evil" faction (Horde, Sith, Defiant, etc.) and a "good" faction (Alliance, Republic, Guardians, etc.).  The better pvp players gravitate toward the "evil" faction and immbalance occurs. I have never played a game where numbers DOES NOT matter.

I am hoping that Wildstar will not make an "evil" and "good" faction. Surely there must be some way to make both factions "cool" enough for the pvp player. If WS is able to do this then my concern for the two-faction environment would disappear. I also think it would make WS more popular. It certainly would make it almost unique!

Once again I want to say that I am REALLY looking forward to this game. Thanks!

• ElphyiElphyi Member Posts: 14

so you can play it l"Action Combat wise?"  I the whole "Press f1 press f2 press f3" aand redo is soo boring..... and easy.  like no offense not tryin to sound like a troll or a rude ass.  but the whole traditional way is wayy to easy and has no challenge.  everyone can press the f keys.  action combat means you actually have to pick your spots and keep payin attention to your fight at all times.   (and to the ones that says " Go play d3 or console games then) how bout i want to play a good mmorpg?  not a single player.   but thats my whole thought on it.   if your sayin you can chose between the both tho that sounds really cool.   sounds like ima have to play 3 mmorpgs now when this comes out. 

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I for one like action combat more but it is cool to make it accessable to different play styles. Kudos....

• twinkleboytwinkleboy Member Posts: 1

Awesome work in giving players the freedom to choose how they play, this is exactly what we want to see from game developers.

I will admit that TERA has spoiled me and I can never go back to Tab targetting again, so I will definately be using freeform target mode for WildStar!

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

I would like action combat but can't physically aim accurately all attacks, I'm glad to hear there's this option, trying tera was just painful.

2 factions though...ugh

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I am not worried CRB_Atreid image....Beta key please image

I do however understand OP's concerns, but I also feel that due to everything we know till now that Wildstar is going to be very feature rich with plenty to do.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

ya people like you are  the reason gaming hasnt realy evolved in 20 years  

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

my only two concerns with Wildstars are the model they will choose (if they choose subscription i hope its optional). The second concern is about the trinity. If theres any holy trinity i hope the roles are flexible and every class can build any role.

Two faction conflict is not as good as three but i can live with two since all i care about is PvE.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

From everything I've seen, it sounds like there is one player faction The Exiles. The Dominion are world conquerors (NPCs), and then there is the planet itself Nexus. The Exiles and the Dominion would both be fighting over the planet, and who knows what is all on that planet to fight back :)

Edit: After reading a bit more, I guess the Dominion may be other players, but so little information is out atm. Would these be all different races then, since the Exiles are from planets taken over/destroyed by the Dominion? Hmm...

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by CRB_Atreid

Hello Tordurbar,

I saw your post and thought i would answer your worry regarding the combat aspect of WildStar. While we announced that we had a Free Form Targeting system, you also have the choice to play your MMO in a more traditional way. Right from the start, we wanted people to play the way they wanted and that's why we came up with the two schools. For people who like a more action playstyle, they have FFT; those who prefer a more classic experience, they can still play the TAB way.

Keep in mind as well, that we will have a fully moddeable UI which will allow you to customize your play style even more.

Despite us not being a three factions setting, I hope you will keep your eyes on WildStar because we have a lot more stuff to announce, feature wise.

Best!

CRB_Atreid

Wild Star was a steady blip on my radar, but i have kind of ignored it since realizing it will yet again be another 2 faction game. I won't go back to this archaic idea again, in fact i don't even bother with MMO's now that are only 2 faction. 

Sure it limits my pool of available games i can play, but if an MMO is going to have serious PvP as part of the gameplay, then for my money i have to insist on 3 factions. 

Maybe its unreasonable ? I dunno, but it invites factional imbalances per server with no real way to organically fix those issues.

I wish the Dev. team of WildStar the best of luck with there game, but until they fix this major issue, i won't be tempted to even try the game.

Lolipops !

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by Voiidiin

Wild Star was a steady blip on my radar, but i have kind of ignored it since realizing it will yet again be another 2 faction game. I won't go back to this archaic idea again, in fact i don't even bother with MMO's now that are only 2 faction. 

Sure it limits my pool of available games i can play, but if an MMO is going to have serious PvP as part of the gameplay, then for my money i have to insist on 3 factions.

Maybe its unreasonable ? I dunno, but it invites factional imbalances per server with no real way to organically fix those issues.

I wish the Dev. team of WildStar the best of luck with there game, but until they fix this major issue, i won't be tempted to even try the game.

I honostly like to know why it is that important to have 3 factions or else decide not to play?

Don't get me wrong I like 3 or even more faction in my MMORPG, but I wouldn't go as far to state to not play a MMORPG that seems different then the norm due to it's feature's and feature use because it only has 2 factions.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by tordurbar

Thanks for the reply! I feel a little better about the combat now.

The two-faction environment is still an issue. After playing dozens of mmos over the years I have a personal opinion that game factions are created mainly for pvp. Although I do pvp on occasion (only in group instances, I am a noob one-on-one) pve is where I spend my time and have my fun. I know that an mmo must have pvp to survive but the two-faction environment almost always becomes unbalanced.  Un-balancing quickly generates a "this game sucks" response.

I feel that this happens because there is always an "evil" faction (Horde, Sith, Defiant, etc.) and a "good" faction (Alliance, Republic, Guardians, etc.).  The better pvp players gravitate toward the "evil" faction and immbalance occurs. I have never played a game where numbers DOES NOT matter.

I am hoping that Wildstar will not make an "evil" and "good" faction. Surely there must be some way to make both factions "cool" enough for the pvp player. If WS is able to do this then my concern for the two-faction environment would disappear. I also think it would make WS more popular. It certainly would make it almost unique!

Once again I want to say that I am REALLY looking forward to this game. Thanks!

I wouldnt neccisarily say 2 factions are created just for pvp, they can also be used to tell a story or to show a world from 2 different perspectives, obviously you can have more factions for more perspectives.  I would also challenge that the games you listed have good and evil factions, Horde and Alliance, and even moreso Defiant and Guardian are more or less equal in terms of being "good" or "evil", Republic and Sith are a bit more tricky, because, well, Sith, but the republic still has plenty of evil in it. 

PvP, I would agree, needs to have 3 factions in order to help foster more equal populations, but that doesnt always work, and it really depends on the type of pvp, if its more battleground based, as long as you can have people from the same side fight each other, in order to reduce queues, it can work.  For open world type pvp, it would definately help things.

Then again, I dont play MMOs for pvp most of the time, I'm mainly a pver.  I would rather play a shooter for pvp.