Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ANet misses the scheduled WvW update for Feb

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by jacklo

Not my words, but they bear the same sentiment.

A post I came across on the official forums:

Esoteric.5490:

So we get promised, yes, PROMISED huge updates for WvW in February, then they decide that the patch “needs more testing”, but, in all of this, those, blessed PvE updates are still going through. Honestly, ANet, you have got to be kittening kidding me. I played Guild Wars 1 for 4 years after it launched. If it wasn’t for players like me, this game WOULD NOT EXIST. And how do you repay my customer loyalty? You spit on me by making me play a game for 6 months because of the promise of this unknown carrot on a stick, praying every day that you wouldn’t screw us over with badges not being able to buy ascended gear and that when you created these “titles” all of the game time I put in playing WvW wouldn’t be left for naught. Little known fact, most of us that play WvW DO NOT PLAY OTHER PORTIONS OF THE GAME. We got to level 80 and geared our characters and then we never left, but you decide that the only aspect of this game that we want to play is somehow less important than some carebear PvE player’s content because they totally haven’t gotten multiple holiday events, an event with an absurd drop rate of precursors, and a PERMANENT dungeon. Oh, I forgot, we got jack-o-lantern flame rams and Trebs that launched snowballs, A+ development work on WvW right there, champs.

If you think for a second that you have not made WvW second fiddle to PvE content, you are dead wrong and no politically correct statements you make about your “progress” is going to show otherwise.The rest of this game has gotten thousands of hours and repeated patches of work put into it, but WvW has only had you REMOVE entire objectives like orbs from our maps and now you have pushed the WvW updates back, EXCLUSIVELY. Also, it is astonishing that you just now decided to hire more “staff” to your WvW team. Did it take you 6 months post release to figure out that you have yet to release one solid, meaningful addition to WvW and to realize that you need more bodies working on what is supposed to be your ENDGAME? And to think that WvW had 3 whole developers compared to the dozens, no doubt, that you had working on all of that great PvE content. Explain to me, what is the point of even playing in a Borderland? What dynamic PvP happens there when you have no objective to fight for on 3 carbon copy maps?

If you detect a hint of rage or anger in my post then you are kitten right. I play GW2 for the WvW and the WvW alone. I, nor 90% of WvW players give a flying kitten about what PvE content you are adding because our favorite game type, that we love despite your dysfunction, is barely playable.

I pray that you are reading this and take my words to heart, because if you erase the 4.5k badges I’ve made by trumping them with a new WvW currency, decide that my achievements and the 20k kills I’ve gotten in WvW don’t count towards these new titles retroactively, or make it apparent that you are not even going to put in 25% of the effort into WvW that you put into PvE, then you will see players leave this cesspool in literal DROVES.

As I said, PvP changes affect PvE and PvE usually does not affect PvP. Why is this? Due to the fact you can thin mobs, redo the API on them, change many things on this end and it WILL NOT affect PvP. But, if you change how interactions among players in PvP, IT WILL AFFECT PvE. Hence the nature of the beast is one should be more judicious with PvP changes.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570
    Originally posted by Marcus-

Could you (or him) provide a link where it was a PROMISED for Feb?

I'm not saying they didn't use the word PROMISE, but i find it pretty hard to believe. Not to mention, i honestly seem to remember them saying Feb or March, and thinking to myself at the time it would be March.

I don't ever remember a development team PROMISING an update for a certain time, but that may be just me.

That's a bit pedantic.

I hardly care whether it was 'promised' or not.

I don't even care much that it has been pushed back.

The thing that concerns me is that the "Major update", is anything but.

To quote loosely from another post on the official forums...

"Why is WvW treated as the 'red haired step-child' of GW2" ?

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

The FEB patch is still huge for PVP... just not WvW. 

A new PVP map... new Arena 2v2...

PVE is only getting 'Choose your own dailes' which effect pvp too.... and guild mission...

People crying about the WvW changes being pushed back a month are insane.... it needed more testing, because it was a total rework of the code. Better then releasing it and having you cry then.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I'm not saying they didn't use the word PROMISE, but i find it pretty hard to believe. Not to mention, i honestly seem to remember them saying Feb or March, and thinking to myself at the time it would be March.

I don't ever remember a development team PROMISING an update for a certain time, but that may be just me.

That's a bit pedantic.

Talk about pendantic....

So its not a major update in your eyes. Did you honestly expect an entire rework of the system?

The red headed step-child?  As opposed to what?

PvE got an update a few months ago. A dungeon that scales up, i dont believe it blew the doors off the entire MMO industry as far as PvE goes. Hardly a "major update'.  sPvP has gotten what since release? No update? How about that update to crafting?

Its been 5 months..

Everyones the red-headed stepchild it seems.

That's a bit pedantic.

Talk about pendantic....

So its not a major update in your eyes. Did you honestly expect an entire rework of the system?

PvE got an update a few months ago. A dungeon that scales up, i dont believe it blew the doors off the entire MMO industry as far as PvE goes. Hardly a "major update'.  sPvP has gotten what since release? No update? How about that update to crafting?

Its been 5 months..

If that's the case (which it isn't), what the hell have Anet been doing for the last 5 months?

Anyway, I've made my point. There is a forum full of similar views on the official site if you're interested in how other people see the situation. Perhaps not.

Enough said from me :)

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

In the end, who cares, really?

These are ongoing projects that sometimes require more time than others.  No one can be 100% on all their target dates if they indeed give a target date.

If you hold one company to this standard then you need to hold them all....and what company has never missed a deadline or asked for an extension?  That's simply absurd.

That's a bit pedantic.

Talk about pendantic....

Its been 5 months..

If that's the case (which it isn't), what the hell have Anet been doing for the last 5 months?

Anyway, I've made my point. There is a forum full of similar views on the official site if you're interested in how other people see the situation. Perhaps not.

I'm really curious to know where folks get these ideas that entire MMO (aspects) change in 5 months time. Though, I suppose we could look into the NGE  :P

To think once a month (or even 5 ) these games turn on its ear with these huge content patches is proposterous. Which MMOs did that, especially 5 months from release? Hell, most have probably just come out of making their servers stable at  that pont.

I've seen their forum, its the same ridiculous expectations. Someone complains, and then people tend to pile on. Next thing you know the update was 'promised', it was an entire rework of the system, and their major apparently isn't major enough, Anet hates my particular playstyle...  pfft

/shrug

edit: honestly, what were you expecting?

That's a bit pedantic.

Talk about pendantic....

Its been 5 months..

I'm really curious to know where folks these ideas that entire MMOs change in 5 months time. I suppose we could look into the NGE  :P

To think once a month (or even 5 ) these games turn on its ear with these huge content patches is proposterous. Which MMOs did that, especially 5 months from release? Hell, most have probably just come out of making their servers stable at  that pont.

I've seen their forum, its the same ridiculous expectaions. Someone complains, and then people tend to pile on. Next thing you know the update was 'promised', it was an entire rework of the system, and their major apparently isn't major enough, Anet hates my particular playstyle...  pfft

/shrug

So first you argue that Anet didn't use the word 'Promise', for which I said you were a bit pedantic.

You then accuse me of being "pendantic" myself, but obviously don't know the meaning of the word (or how to spell it) - now that is me being pedantic :)

Next up, you argue that PvE has only really had one relatively small update since release, "a dungeon that scales up" in your words. I'm sorry but that's so far from the truth.

Finally you've taken the course of extremism and twisting of words, in an effort to ridicule my own posts.

Nowhere did anyone even remotely suggest, or expect an "entire rework of the system".

As it stands, the 'patch' doesn't appear to address any of the long standing issues that have affected the WvW player base since launch.

For those issues, you will have to browse the official forums, I really don't think they need repeating again here.

"honestly, what were you expecting?"

As above... if you care to look you might find it's not as much as you try to make it sound.

Originally posted by grimal

In the end, who cares, really?

These are ongoing projects that sometimes require more time than others.  No one can be 100% on all their target dates if they indeed give a target date.

If you hold one company to this standard then you need to hold them all....and what company has never missed a deadline or asked for an extension?  That's simply absurd.

*CLAP CLAP CLAP* Applause for this response* Right on!!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I would rather see them take the time needed to fix the problem as good as possible, than to rush out a half baked patch that causes even more problems.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by eyelolled
    I would rather see them take the time needed to fix the problem as good as possible, than to rush out a half baked patch that causes even more problems.

But why is it half-baked? Not enough resources put into it perhaps?

That's the whole argument, especially since the PvE updates are still on-track. No doubt there'll be a suprise Valentines event as well.

I'd love to have that attitude still, but I got older and wiser, and perhaps more cynical you might say.

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264
    AS SO IT BEGINS....

That's a bit pedantic.

Talk about pendantic....

Its been 5 months..

I'm really curious to know where folks these ideas that entire MMOs change in 5 months time. I suppose we could look into the NGE  :P

I've seen their forum, its the same ridiculous expectaions. Someone complains, and then people tend to pile on. Next thing you know the update was 'promised', it was an entire rework of the system, and their major apparently isn't major enough, Anet hates my particular playstyle...  pfft

/shrug

So first you argue that Anet didn't use the word 'Promise', for which I said you were a bit pedantic.

You then accuse me of being "pendantic" myself, but obviously don't know the meaning of the word (or how to spell it) - now that is me being pedantic :)

Next up, you argue that PvE has only really had one relatively small update since release, "a dungeon that scales up" in your words. I'm sorry but that's so far from the truth.

Finally you've taken the course of extremism and twisting of words, in an effort to ridicule my own posts.

Nowhere did anyone even remotely suggest, or expect an "entire rework of the system".

As it stands, the 'patch' doesn't appear to address any of the long standing issues that have affected the WvW player base since launch.

For those issues, you will have to browse the official forums, I really don't think they need repeating again here.

"honestly, what were you expecting?"

As above... if you care to look you might find it's not as much as you try to make it sound.

I am well aware of the word.

You said their 'major' update was anything but.  I'm uncertain where that bar is set. I'm not saying its overly enormous by any stretch, it just seems to many have extreme expectations when they hear that.

I never said it was a relatively small (pve) update, those are your words, not mine. I was trying to figure out your "red-headed stepchild" analogy. As opposed to all other aspects of the game.

I never said YOU want a reworking of the system, it was rhetorical. Thats why i asked what YOU were expecting.

Everyones long standing issues vary, greatly. Theres no way they call all be addressed in one patch. WvW is far from perfect, and its an ongoing "fix". Though (in my opinion) its not unplayable by any stretch, and apparently to a good many playing now. With that said, I'm sure all aspects of the game are going to get love, as they all need it...  over time.

edit: regardless, i think peoples expectations have gone way over the top. Should fixxes be expected? of course. But these circles that keep coming is is just ridiculous..

Release patch..  patch has bugs .. wtf.. should have delayed.

Delay patch.. wtf.. you said now...

Major patch coming... wtf.. didnt fix what i want...

Patch coming..  wtf .. what about MY playstyle...

I'm generalizing of course.

anywho, i'm done here.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by eyelolled

But why is it half-baked? Not enough resources put into it perhaps?

That's the whole argument, especially since the PvE updates are still on-track. No doubt there'll be a suprise Valentines event as well.

I'd love to have that attitude still, but I got older and wiser, and perhaps more cynical you might say.

Well despite what some people may think here, I don't work for Anet, so I really don't know what problems might arise from releasing their patch early.  What I do know, is that I don't feel it's a valuable use of energies, to worry and gripe about something that  hasn't happened yet, and I can't possibly change.  

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

People feel they are "ENTITLED' and this is a recent phenomenon. You are not 'ENTITLES' to the patch but A.Net said they are working on it - fine. I want it working not half-baked.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by botrytis
    People feel they are "ENTITLED' and this is a recent phenomenon. You are not 'ENTITLES' to the patch but A.Net said they are working on it - fine. I want it working not half-baked.

You are correct. I am not entitled to a content patch. I do however feel entitled to a working, bug-free system that was one of the major features advertised.

BUT then I think to myself.. I suppose technically I am not even entitled to that much since there is nothing on the box that promises "things will actually work". They didn't promise me fully functional bug-free WvW, they promised me WvW that exists and runs. And it does run, just not as well as I would expect.

So technically, they can do nothing if they want. I wouldn't recommend they do nothing. But they can.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    You people complaining are the reason why companies rarely release timelines for their plans. They just say "when it's ready". ArenaNet said Feb or March, and also first half of 2013 for many updates. Whenever a company releases an approximate deadline, add 3 months to it. 
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

There's nothing that remotely suggests Arenanet  has the slightest clue how poorly designed WvW is.To believe that a patch is some how going to miracously  fix such a deeply flawed game...I think is unrealistic.

I honestly think Arenanet thinks theres nothing but technical software design issues(lag and invisible opponents) rather than the reality that the game has deeply flawed WvW game play issues.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Dramatic but inaccurate, they are looking at a lot of things in wvw at mo, with technical issues taking precedence based on complaints, I believe rewards/new events and aoe issues are on the menu.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Dramatic but inaccurate, they are looking at a lot of things in wvw at mo, with technical issues taking precedence based on complaints, I believe rewards/new events and aoe issues are on the menu.

Its devoid of drama, therefore its "deeply flawed" lol

It does great for what it designed to do, it doesnt do things some people want it to do.

Fix glaring things (culling) add some more fluff, add decent rewards (its miiiiiiiiiles behind PvE, its not even funny) nad thats it.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

As much as I feel GW2 is heavily over-rated and isn't that great of a game...

...Wow this hurts... but...

...Really, they shouldn't be bashed for not delivering on time. Sometimes things attempting to be fixed might not be ready for deadline and as such its often times better to hold of launching rather then delivering immediately. That being said,  if it is repeatedly pushed back and delayed, I can good reason to complain about it. 

Just know that games are a very complex thing to create and theres a lot beind it. Delays are to be expected when it comes to content, particularly parts that a large part of the game that are important to a game, WvW being one of GW2s primary features so it is to be expected when it is handled that they will want it to be done correctly in order to avoid exploits and other serious conditions that might occur which could harm the game.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

There's nothing that remotely suggests Arenanet  has the slightest clue how poorly designed WvW is.To believe that a patch is some how going to miracously  fix such a deeply flawed game...I think is unrealistic.

I honestly think Arenanet thinks theres nothing but technical software design issues(lag and invisible opponents) rather than the reality that the game has deeply flawed WvW game play issues.

Honestly, I just don't see a much better design for WvW in a theme park game ...from Daoc to GW2 there hasn't been a single game I played that could even get the 3 sided combat right .I don't see any deeply flawed issues now that server transfers have a cost ...and the "kool kids" aren't jumping from winning server to winning server, but perhaps you could enlighten us on these flaws and give an example of better WvW combat.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by IPolygon
    So many months (since release) without a single content update for WvW and now we see an indefinate push back (again). It's pretty obvious ANet doesn't care for WvW in the least. There is nothing but promises and excuses to keep you entertained until TESO comes out. Hopefully other devs know how to support an RvRvR format

I guess in your rush to spew more anti-GW2 venom you failed to actually read the post above by Colin which tells a completely different tale.

Well, he does have a point. It's all been words and promises so far, no real changes has happened to WvW. 

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

Honestly, I just don't see a much better design for WvW in a theme park game ...from Daoc to GW2 there hasn't been a single game I played that could even get the 3 sided combat right .I don't see any deeply flawed issues now that server transfers have a cost ...and the "kool kids" aren't jumping from winning server to winning server, but perhaps you could enlighten us on these flaws and give an example of better WvW combat.

Its not what he wants it to be therefore its "deeply flawed". Nevermind crapton of people enjoy it how it is.

If you want something slower paced where everything takes forever and strong territorial control/drama theres always EvE, its another great game.

Originally posted by andre369

Well, he does have a point. It's all been words and promises so far, no real changes has happened to WvW. 

There have been changes to culling and thats most important issue at hand. All other "issues" are pretty minor.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

I really don't understand why people have to be negative upon everything and that's not matter if it's GW2 or anything else really.

The devs promised a february update and we are getting one at the 26th.

They prevent us from having a buggy WvsWvsW by pushing back the WvsWvsW extra content so we can enjoy it without problems till they give us additional stuff and improvements a month later (maybe its even one week only instead of a month) and we still complain?

Would it be better to get bugs and unpolished extras added that would even break what we have so far, making WvsWvsW eventually totally broken?

Also find it funny that people that "quit playing for weeks/months" or whenever, feel the need to come back here and start bashing the game whenever possible.

Don't you people have anything else to do or any other game to go play instead?

I'm really wondering....