Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fires and Pack Mules and Supplies.... Oh My!!

So one thing i have always hated with a passion in RvR games (where we have tower/castle sieges) was the fact that supplying said siege with a Catapult or a Ram was never a proper part to the game. I do not recall ever reading about how the great castle sieges had a guy run up to a giant gate and pop out a huge ram from his backpack.

Ok so sure it makes things easier, who wants to have to lug around a gigantic piece of siege equipment with them, but thats the point, it was part of the warfare, you had to build this on site or bring it with you. You had to protect supply lines. You had to attack supply lines. This is a major aspect to siege warfare, i feel it is integral to a serious RvR experience.

Even if the siege was built on location, you need to bring the materials to make it, protect the builders while its being built, and then move it into position. This also gives options to the defenders.... bolster the defense, take the fight to the foe while they are building/defending the siege, drop hummingbird poop on them. Having a massive siege weapon should be a daunting task, it should strike fear into the enemy, enough for them to want to really do something about it.

Fires, should be dangerous, consuming, and extinguished. Fires should spread and threaten the defenders, fires should require water or smothering to be extinguished. Maybe have wood as a part of an upgrade process for castles and towers, so at lower building levels they are made from wood more and are then more suseptible to a firey assault.

I don't want ultra realism, but i think there needs to be more tactical/strategic choices in an RvR game, not having supply lines, pack mules, or requiring sieges to be built with said supplies makes RvR seem cheap and easy.

So, i am curious what you all think, is this just adding tedium to a game, or does it make the game take on a whole new aspect centered around more than just zerging ?

Lolipops !

Comments

• rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151
    sounds like a form of pve....
  • VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by rogue187

Hmm can you elaborate on that a bit more?

Other than maybe the pack mules, i am not sure what i described as PvE anything.

Did you even read the post or just the title ?

Lolipops !

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314

PvE because part of your suggestion involves fighting the fires aka enviroment. Now granted the initial fire would be caused by the players but the subsequent fires to me seem like an OP'd ability. Especially considering that the people attacking the castle wouldn't have to worry about it as much.

Also the attackers already will have an advantage with siege. In DaoC Siege was able to hit inisde the lords room, constantly interupting everyone inside. 

As to your main suggestion I like the part about building stuff, but I don't like the idea of driving siege weopons all over the map. In DaoC I drove some siege weopons around and there were a lot of problems. First the rams moved wayyy to slowly so you would get ganked so fast. Also since siege weopons can't jump it would be annoying trying to navigate around every bush, tree-stub or boulder that the terrain threw at you.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Voiidiin
    Originally posted by rogue187

Hmm can you elaborate on that a bit more?

Other than maybe the pack mules, i am not sure what i described as PvE anything.

Did you even read the post or just the title ?

It depends how literally you take the phrase "pve".

PvE means Player vs Environiment....players fighting fires instead of other players could technically be considered pve.

Pack Mules, supplies .... these are GW2 features and it doesn't work too well in that game. It worked in Planetside with the NTU and ANTS but that was years ago when gamers were a different breed. Also, again, it's technically pve.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• CluckingChickenCluckingChicken Member Posts: 54
    I see PvE as quests and bosses. Personally I think without at least a few NPCs, the world will feel a little lifeless. Its one thing that bugged me when I tried Planetside 2. All these fancy buildings and there's no one around to use, maintain them... I think guards and supply mules would make for a good thing. Maybe have guards as a sort of high tier keep upgrade, but don't male them too powerful/annoying/numerous.
  • Storm_FirebladeStorm_Fireblade Member Posts: 156

I absolutely agree with the initial post asking for a more realistic representation of warfare in a RvR-focused MMO. I can still remember how I finished several marathons (at least it felt that way) gathering wood, brining it to our keep and upgrading the doors etc. Still, preparing siege-weapons etc was way to "easy".

I wouldn´t go so far to implement evolving fires and stuff, but I am more than willing to support any form for realistic warfare regarding siege-weapons etc. Personally I would render them almost useless, when build way before you reach the keep, simply because of the minimal movement-speed. Ressources to build those siege-weapons should be heavy enough to force several people to gather them and then you need to build those near the attacked keep, where you might be delayed or even forced to abandon the constructure.

So much realism should a RvR-game offer, at least in my opinion. We already have similar patterns in DAoC, a game developed more than a decade ago, so it shouldn´t be too much to ask for, getting this gameaspect taken to the next level.

Camelot Unchained Fanpage
    https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Yea I have felt for sometime now that supply is a pretty vital part of enhancing the metagame, im not sure i like GW2's yaks though, id much rather see players supplying keeps, though that task could possibly be abit mundane.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.