Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice to those bored of GW2, try TERA!!!

Comments

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Agreed, TERA is extremelly intense, therefor fun.

Sure, there are a lot of "Go to X, kill X monsters" quests. But when combat alone is so fun, time flies by without even noticing because you're enjoying it.

And then come the Dungeons and Big Ass Monsters. Most fun group combat experiences since WoW vanilla raiding (similar feeling of breakthrough and new world of experiences for their time).

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

I would try Tera but according to the company people from Asia, Africa and middle eastern regions are all hackers and gold sellers. So they won't let me play since i  am stationed in Morocco for next one year.

I can play every single MMO in market without any problems except for Tera...the special snow flake and target of all gold sellers around the world.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by DamonVile
    I don't get why a heart on a map is innovative and a ! over someones head is boring and old school. Or the fact that the actual number you need to kill is hiden from you and replaced with a heart that fills up.....Is that really all it took to impress some of you people ?

I completed every single heart quest on my main. Then after doing that I usually clear the starting zone on my alts before not touching a single heart quest after it. Dynamic quests, dungeons and WvW has been enough to reach 80 on 3 other characters of mine now.

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by kabitoshin
    I tried Tera up to 33, and just couldn't play anymore cause of the boring quest system. The combat was nothing I haven't already played on a console, and was only fun on slayer for a bit to me. I still enjoy GW2 but it's not my main MMO, I like to go to it when these new events start up. Tera does have beautiful asthetics and runs well cause Unreal 3 is a very smooth engine.

Heh. You did better than me, i managed to get to level 16 before i gave up. Even the combat couldn't keep me interested in the game any longer.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

TERA is indeed a good option if u are bored playing anygame...not just GW2....

It just went FTP,so not much to loose anyway.,.

As a PTP Game TERA failed hard in homeland Korea & even in West...where it went FTPsimply because of lack óf subscribers  in less than a year.

GW2 is in my opinion a lot more refined & fun to play BY FAR than Tera,but that´s just my opinion.

I played Tera when it first came out in Europe & i trully love it´s graphics...but that´s about it... Quest system (PvE) is horrid...and the game is too limited / on rails...not much space for improvisation...

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

Since you are comparing both games....

I prefer Guild Wars 2 by far.

TERA grew BORING on me too fast...

I´ve been playing GW2 since Beta (That´s more +5 months) and i´m still amazed by its quality.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Tera is boring as hell. Its not a coincidence it had to go F2P, and not just in the West.

It was such a dissapointment from someone who played L2 a lot and still wait for (spiritual) successor worthy of that title. Both Aion and Tera are crap.

OTOH GW2 is ten times the fun.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by khameleon

I stopped playing GW2 after halloween event, the game gets boring once the "new game feel" wears off. It was not what i thought it would be at all. 

I started up TERA which is 100% free this week and everything about it feels better than my 1st week in GW2. Graphics are much, much better, the best Ive seen overall in any MMO.

The combat is pure action combat, no tab, aim everything, time dodges, blocks and really is very fun.

The world is alive so many people joined up, erach map is full of players on every server in the huge, beautiful open world.

No point to go on and on, just thought you all shoudl know its worth trying and is a better game than GW2.

Not much a fan of either game, graphicly GW2 is better but both are different styles, down to individual taste.

Tera combat I did enjoy more over GW2.  GW2 I felt I was just cycling the same skills over and over.

GW2 population has stabalized somewhat, where Tera has recently gone f2p has caused a surge in new and returning players, so yes it will feel more alive due to the influx of players.

Both games have good and bad points as with any game, if Tera is so great why did it not attract enough subscribers in the first place to stop it going f2p? and would those who are so fond of GW2 pay a sub? I doubt it.

I like Satsumas which fruit do you like?

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188

The worst combat system ever made :). I just can't get over non-target WITH ANIMATION LOCK, who invented that to add animation lock to non-target...i have only one word for that person, You can guess it. I played till lvl 25, i just couldn't go further this combat system was just annoying me.

Also i'm not the masochist, and i won't torture myself with generic quest and boring gameplay till so called end-game. Yes GW2 screwed me, cuz i just can't play generic, quest based MMOs anymore and i'm sad about that, because a lot of games has only good end-game and i can't reach it, cuz of its shitty lvling gameplay ;(.

Guild Wars 2 is not a perfect games, it has many flaws, but it's still enjoyable. I didn't want this post to look like "I HATE TERA", i'm just pointing that its combat system is not very dynamic and active, animation lock destroys it, it's slower. I just can't stand to wait 5 seconds till my character finish the animation of one spell, i'm not that patient :).

My philosophy is straight, If game doesn't hook me up from lvl 1, i don't play it. I will never torture myself to reach max lvl if the lvling gameplay is boring, it's the part of the game, so why most developers ignore it?

On the side note, i'm waiting for a truly action, faste paced combat in MMO. Non-target, without animation lock, so i can attack while moving, dodging, jumping and running, where ppl who think fast and have big intuition (intution comes with experience, the more fight u do, the better intuition u have) will win.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

A thread bigging up TERA in the GW2 forum... hrm, yeah... this was always gonna go down well.. ;)

Personally? Played both (GW2 to max lvl and TERA right now) and although I personally enjoyed GW2 as a single player RPG for a month and love it visually, I am finding TERA just more fun. GW2's questing turned out to be too zergy for me in the end.

It's just a personal taste thing though so, yeah, whatever.

But you know what? At least people *talk* in TERA and already on my box fresh server I can see a community forming. In GW2 the *crickets* in chat were depressing. I dob't now if that's the case now, I would hope that it isn't. GW2 felt so sterile.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

Played for a bit last year when it first came out.

It's fun for a bit, looks shiny and has an interesting combat system.

If you're bored for something to do, no harm in downloading it and giving it a try. Just don't expect much staying power - I personally lasted just over 100 hours, some only last 3.

• Nicco77Nicco77 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    TERA and TSW teleports you way back in the prehistoric routines of the WOW years.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Just another static, dead, eventless world from what I hear. Don't they still use those archaic npc types with the quest bang over their heads? So twenty years ago.

Yeah those heart npcs in GW2 with the heart quest marker above there heads are so twenty years ago.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I don't get why a heart on a map is innovative and a ! over someones head is boring and old school. Or the fact that the actual number you need to kill is hiden from you and replaced with a heart that fills up.....

Is that really all it took to impress some of you people ?

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

I tried Tera recently I logged in yesterday, and to be honest I dont like TERA here is why.

1. UI Text is way too small I know it can be adjusted but there is no reason I should have to waste time adjusting a whole UI on my pc because the Devs couldnt fix the text big enough on my resolution 1280 x1024 monitors.

2. The Cash Shop, The  main reason I refuse to play is because of this I would happily play if they would give me unlimited customization for $14.99 a month so I am not stuck with a single characters looks instead they offer for a subscription too little, and I refuse to play the game because of this. If they offered me more as a subscriber I would have been playing TERA, and would be using their cash shop as well, but since they get too greedy I say no Thanks even if it is free I will leave with nothing because its not worth a dime in its current state.

3. I will just wait for defiance to come out I bet it will be a lot better than TERA, and obviously other MMO's released after TERA will be more polished anyways TERA advertised as True Action Combat, doesn't fit it, Vindictus, and C9 Feel more like True Action combat compared to TERA.

I paid $400 for a graphics card what is the point if I cant freely enjoy a high graphic customizations in a  game instead I think I will buy me Aliens Colonial Marines off Steam for $50 or save for a nice collectors edition of Defiance.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    There's a very good reason why most people canceled their subs and stopped playing after a few months, the end game is very lacking and the quest grind too boring to make rolling new ALTs much of an option. Fun at first, sure, but in 2-3 months most folks will have moved on.

Edit: Was talking about TERA, but then I realized the same holds true for pretty much all MMOS these days. So what the heck, play on.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I have played both games extensively and I will give you my 2 cents worth on each:

To me...Tera's combat is overhyped, the quests are boring, and I am not a fan of the Asian art. I was excited to try it again as a F2P title, but soon remembered why I quit. Everyone brags on the "action combat", but if making your index finger go numb due to spamming the mouse button is "action", I guess that's cool for some. I'll keep it on my hard drive this time, but I can never see me playing it regularly.

It took me a long time to warm up to GW2 because of the heart quest grind and the fact that all of the classes felt the same to me. But, I started liking the necro class after trying them all. I can't put my finger on it,  but there is still something about the game that cannot draw me in to make me love it. I will definitely be playing it on and off for a long time to come, but I can't see it ever being my main mmo.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    There's a very good reason why most people canceled their subs and stopped playing after a few months, the end game is very lacking and the quest grind too boring to make rolling new ALTs much of an option. Fun at first, sure, but in 2-3 months most folks will have moved on.

The reason is the game isn't worth a sub - it just didn't deliver that much content to merit the $15, which if i'm not mistaken was one of the most expensive subs in the industry (excluding Warhammer)

Generally you're right though - 3 months and you'll have run the content out already, which is a shame because it's a game that has been out for multiple years now (Asia).

In any event, a few hundred hours of fun and 3 months of time is more than most games will give you these days.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    There's a very good reason why most people canceled their subs and stopped playing after a few months, the end game is very lacking and the quest grind too boring to make rolling new ALTs much of an option. Fun at first, sure, but in 2-3 months most folks will have moved on. Edit: Was talking about TERA, but then I realized the same holds true for pretty much all MMOS these days. So what the heck, play on.

Sounds alot like GW2.

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    You Guys have to admit, while waiting for a game to update, we have so many more now we can play whilst we wait. it's game heaven these last few years. i'm excited for so many new ones coming. even though my jaded opinion tells me to NOT play some of them, I know i'm lying :)

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

It´s an asian grinder with good graphics but atrocious story and repetitive questing. Definitely similiar to GW2, but with better combat so those two games are certainly comparable, also both rated T for Teen.

Downloaded the F2P version but it didn´t hook me longer than an hour unfortunately, too much cartoony stuff going on there, just not my type of MMO as I prefer more mature themed games like TSW, AoC and EvE

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Thanks OP for starting the thread.I don't think Tera is for me but am interested in seeing if there is ANY mmo out there that offers world class conflict.I bought GW2 because I thought the WvW would be the next step after DAOC. UGGH was I disappointed. GW2 WvW is more like a 2 week 24/7 basketball game.Repetative...meaningless activity....massive zergs.....Ques of players waiting to even play(GW2 devs solved that problem though.They simply did nothing to improve the game play and the number of people who wanted to WvW had dropped like a rock ! Problem solved).

I looked at Planteside 2 while it was in beta and shortly after and found it unfinished in basic game play.I hope OP doesn't mind broadening the discussion to other alternatives to GW2...or we can start a new thread if you prefer.

As for me...atm I'm not playing any mmog.

• AlakorAlakor Member UncommonPosts: 46
    TERA is prolly the shittiest, half polished, no content, quest crappy grind game ever created, its AION 2.0 but even worse =/ dead game.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    OP: Sounds like you have the 'new game syndrome' yet again. Yet you will soon learn that TERA gets boring faster than any other MMO.
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

Thanks OP for starting the thread.I don't think Tera is for me but am interested in seeing if there is ANY mmo out there that offers world class conflict.I bought GW2 because I thought the WvW would be the next step after DAOC. UGGH was I disappointed. GW2 WvW is more like a 2 week 24/7 basketball game.Repetative...meaningless activity....massive zergs.....Ques of players waiting to even play(GW2 devs solved that problem though.They simply did nothing to improve the game play and the number of people who wanted to WvW had dropped like a rock ! Problem solved).

I looked at Planteside 2 while it was in beta and shortly after and found it unfinished in basic game play.I hope OP doesn't mind broadening the discussion to other alternatives to GW2...or we can start a new thread if you prefer.

As for me...atm I'm not playing any mmog.

Playing MMO is repetitive menaingless activity, so yah, theres no MMO out there for you and never will be.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by kabitoshin
    I tried Tera up to 33, and just couldn't play anymore cause of the boring quest system. The combat was nothing I haven't already played on a console, and was only fun on slayer for a bit to me. I still enjoy GW2 but it's not my main MMO, I like to go to it when these new events start up. Tera does have beautiful asthetics and runs well cause Unreal 3 is a very smooth engine.

^-- THIS

Combat is half of the mechanic for me.  Story is the other.  I need a good reason to cause all of this genocide and I like to be entertained.  TERA's story feels generic and tacked on.   Also hard for me to get over doing the SAME starter island over and over again.  Who does 1 starter area in 2012???

Perhaps if I could get past that there is something I may enjoy but I may never find out :-S

This discussion has been closed.