Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vanguard is alive and thriving

13»

Comments

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by birken
    Originally posted by Scummyman
    I tried it out this week and already uninstalled it. I'm glad that I did try it out as it made me appreciate what i'm playing now much more ;)

Yea alot of people go back to mindless easy to play game. It just show  that alot of people stop using there heads for games after click to win game came in.

Sorry to disillusion you sunshine but as gamer that has played video games since they were on cassettes, I am used to depth but Vanguard wasn't just enough to convince me to play past the tedium.

Nevermind, better luck next time when you try and make a post that doesn't reflect your niavety. Maybe in a few years you'll get it.

• mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48
    It is so hard to explain to people that just want to troll. There are no items in this game that you cant use with f2p  Non  just go to your local auction house and buy item unlock. I am tired of reading stupid peoples post that have no idea what they are talking about. 

OK, tell me more. Having to unlock things item by item has kept me away from Vanguard, which I loved. Are unlocks available for gold? How are the unlocks obtained by the people who put them up for auction? Do they drop in game?

I tried it out this week and already uninstalled it. I'm glad that I did try it out as it made me appreciate what i'm playing now much more ;)

Yea alot of people go back to mindless easy to play game. It just show  that alot of people stop using there heads for games after click to win game came in.

Sorry to disillusion you sunshine but as gamer that has played video games since they were on cassettes, I am used to depth but Vanguard wasn't just enough to convince me to play past the tedium.

Nevermind, better luck next time when you try and make a post that doesn't reflect your niavety. Maybe in a few years you'll get it.

I guess it's all opinion. I would say that you might want to re-consider, though. I loved Vanguard, and I've been playing since cassette days, too. :P

It's a pretty deep and sweet game. I'm not sure I like their f2p model, but I am hoping I can be convinced.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Dirkin

Well there's no reason to not be civil in this thread.

If you have tried Vanguard and did not like it, that's fine. Not all people will like the game, or even the genre. If you much prefer the themepark approach, then you will probably much prefer GW2 or a similar game over Vanguard, though as a VG fan I'd still want everyone to try it regardless at least once. But if you don't like it, that's your opinion and your pereference, and nobody should argue it.

That said, I can't help but disagree with folks who say that Vanguard's f2p limitation are super restrictive. The single restriction of consequence is the restriction on rare or above items. Other than that, the gold member bonus provides only conveniences, not actual advantages. Even with the item restriction in place, you will never hit a wall where you can no longer play the game as a f2p player like some people are suggesting. You can level up to max and be a valuable member of the community in all blue gear. The item unlockers are cheap off the cash shop, and can also be bought off the ing-ame auction house for in-game currency. So technically, you don't have to pay real money at all if you buy your item unlocks with gold.

Obviously, I'd like folks to sub to the game. I like it. But unless you want to see all the game's raid content at max level, there's really no need to. If you like the old school style of MMO and aren't too put off by 6 year old models and animations, then give it a try. The game is healthy and doing well.

How many of these come back to vangaurd it's improved threads do we have to put up with? Sounds like an unlimited number?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by mbolme
    It is so hard to explain to people that just want to troll. There are no items in this game that you cant use with f2p  Non  just go to your local auction house and buy item unlock. I am tired of reading stupid peoples post that have no idea what they are talking about. 

OK, tell me more. Having to unlock things item by item has kept me away from Vanguard, which I loved. Are unlocks available for gold? How are the unlocks obtained by the people who put them up for auction? Do they drop in game?

From my understanding there are no restrictions for gold so no item would be locked.

Originally posted by William12

From my understanding there are no restrictions for gold so no item would be locked.

From their site: "Items that aren't equippable by Free players are labeled in game as "Gold membership required." These items can be individually unlocked for Free players by purchasing an Unlock Item potion from our in-game Marketplace."

My question is: do you HAVE to pay money to unlock the items, or can you unlock them in-game, somehow? If so, how?

• DirkinDirkin Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by waynejr2

How many of these come back to vangaurd it's improved threads do we have to put up with? Sounds like an unlimited number?

I didn't create the thread, I only posted in it...

Also, as I mentioned above, item unlocks are bought from the station cash shop. However, they are tradeable and you will find lots of them on the in-game auction house, which allows you to spend in-game currency for them. There is no currency cap imposed on f2p players, so you can just buy your item unlocks with gold instead of cash.

Also, as I mentioned above, item unlocks are bought from the station cash shop. However, they are tradeable and you will find lots of them on the in-game auction house, which allows you to spend in-game currency for them. There is no currency cap imposed on f2p players, so you can just buy your item unlocks with gold instead of cash.

That's good to know. How much are they in the cash shop, and (roughlly) how hard is accumulating the gold?

You have me interested enough to be downloading the game.

• DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197

Games got everything i want in an mmo besides ffa pvp.  i simply can't get past the hideously ugly characters and animations..its like they tried to make it look like bad.  The staff attack animation..dear god. 

Seriously good game, with 1 fatal flaw for me, though I hope all who play aren't as nitpicky as me and enjoy it.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553
    Originally posted by Deddpool

Games got everything i want in an mmo besides ffa pvp.  i simply can't get past the hideously ugly characters and animations..its like they tried to make it look like bad.  The staff attack animation..dear god. 

Seriously good game, with 1 fatal flaw for me, though I hope all who play aren't as nitpicky as me and enjoy it.

I played VG when it was launched and cranked settings up to 2560x1600 with all video options maxed.  At that time, the game was gorgeous compared to anything else available at the time.  After playing so long, I'm now accustom to the graphics and still prefer them over the likes of GW2or SWTOR.

I guess now, the graphics are a bit out-dated, but on the other hand, they can be an acquired taste.  To this day, there still seems to be more realism to VG graphics than anything else I've seen. 

Make sure you've got all the video options maxed out and let em grow on ya some.....  :)

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

I don't know about thriving. More like hob-logging while dragging one leg. SoE will keep the doors open on almost any piece of garbage, doesn't make it a good game.

More specifically:

-the servers are probably the most consistently laggy MMO servers I've ever played on, which have actually gotten worse over the years instead of better.

-the best thing about the game is grouping but theres not nearly enough incentive to do so, which caused the players to turn it into a mostly solo crapshoot.

-orginally designed as a sandbox but got wowified instead, we've all seen this before and it never turns out well. FFIV reborn is wowifications next victim.

-despite the F2P boon and new lead dev VG will never be significantly expanded upon. You may get a patch here and there but expect no expansions ever and never

-if EQ Next is even average this game will go under so fast, if EQ Next flops VG will still stay stagnate forever(more likely given SoE's inability to make a decent game these days).

-even Brad McQuaid recognizes VG is beyond saving, they brought him back to work on VG and in less then a month moved him to EQ Next instead. Pretty much tells you everything you need to know.

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

I don't know about thriving. More like hob-logging while dragging one leg. SoE will keep the doors open on almost any piece of garbage, doesn't make it a good game.

More specifically:

-the servers are probably the most consistently laggy MMO servers I've ever played on, which have actually gotten worse over the years instead of better.

*boggle* - the only reason lag has increased is the population has increased big time since F2p. They are working on this.

-the best thing about the game is grouping but theres not nearly enough incentive to do so, which caused the players to turn it into a mostly solo crapshoot.

All of the best rewards in the game are from grp/raids... Everyone groups, all the time... I guess you have not been playing.

-orginally designed as a sandbox but got wowified instead, we've all seen this before and it never turns out well. FFIV reborn is wowifications next victim.

VG has not changed since beta with regard to its themepark and sandbox elements. There is more multiplayer non combat activities in vanguard than most MMOs today including some amazing crafting.  Also, the world is a sandbox... multiple paths and dungeons are not linear at all like 99% of the MMO market

-despite the F2P boon and new lead dev VG will never be significantly expanded upon. You may get a patch here and there but expect no expansions ever and never

VG like 95% of all MMOs will not have an expansion... so what, there is more content 1-40 than your typical MMO of today x10

-if EQ Next is even average this game will go under so fast, if EQ Next flops VG will still stay stagnate forever(more likely given SoE's inability to make a decent game these days).

EQNext ? When is this coming out ?

-even Brad McQuaid recognizes VG is beyond saving, they brought him back to work on VG and in less then a month moved him to EQ Next instead. Pretty much tells you everything you need to know.

Yet another post with inaccurate information... 

Just a note about the expansions comment:

Vanguard will never get an expansion because they made the choice in the beginning to release all new content for free as game updates. You will never have to pay anything for new content, and there is new content coming. It's not like the game hasn't had new stuff added since 2007.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by atticusbc
    i don't suppose they took away the gear restrictions that made it almost pointless to play?

I don't suppose you thought about actually paying for a Gold membership so you can use said gear?

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by neobahamut20

1) Its Sony. Still not as bad as EA though.

2) Paying members have advantages over free players. This is pay to win, not free to play.

3) Traitors to humanity; Sony, like many other corps, thinks that what you buy from them still belongs to them. Until they allow people to tinker with the products they purchase, they are not worthy of my wallet.

This is probably the most moronic post I've ever read. Unless you plan on buying the IP you DON'T own ANYTHING. The current generation thinks that everything is owed to them and should be free....profit is EVIL. Somewday...IF you grow up you might understand how the real world works but until then - just be quiet...you're letting all the stupid out.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• DizzlerDizzler Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by echolynfan
    Originally posted by atticusbc
    i don't suppose they took away the gear restrictions that made it almost pointless to play?

I don't suppose you thought about actually paying for a Gold membership so you can use said gear?

The cost of "unlocking" gear is actually Trivial. you do not need a gold membership to do so, it equals about .50 cents per item or something. still cheaper than your basic 15$ a month membership.  not to mention you have no need to do this until you are capped and raiding.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Very nice.  Congrats.  Anything happening in game that would be driving the playerbase up?

They removed a lot of stupid F2P restrictions.

• DizzlerDizzler Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

More specifically:

Have you even played this game?...   i have been playing for right around a month now and i have not experienced ANY lag what so ever.   Wowified?... what. what i see here is opinions being stated as fact. this game is NOTHING like wow what so ever.

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

Vanguard will never get an expansion because they made the choice in the beginning to release all new content for free as game updates. You will never have to pay anything for new content, and there is new content coming. It's not like the game hasn't had new stuff added since 2007.

I guess the update with a new dungeon doesn't count. What a load of horse shit. Why would you comment on something you clearly don't know anything about ?

Originally posted by Everket

I guess the update with a new dungeon doesn't count. What a load of horse shit. Why would you comment on something you clearly don't know anything about ?

Uh, I think you may need to read my post again, you read it as the opposite of what my message was. Sorry if I was not being clear. I said that all new content updates are free, they have indeed added new content many times, and will continue to do so. The new content just will never be in an 'expansion' that you have to pay for like a lot of other games do it.

A lot of people have said that the game never getting any expansions is a sign of no new content, I said that they have and will continue to release content, they just do it for free.