Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just for fun (Zombie Survival MMO)

This is just a curiosity thing based on a Post Apocalyptic Zombie Survival MMO I have had floating around for awhile. Just want to see what people think, and just for the fun of the discussion, add your own tweeks to improve upon it...or not. Not a developer...just for fun and a change of pace in discussion other than orc, goblins, elves, etc.

- Based in the U.S. and U.K.

- HUGE world.

- All buildings accessible. If you can see it, you can get there.

- Travel between the U.S. and U.K is possible, by ship or plane if you canfidn the fuel and fly it without dying (Which would be fairly quick..just a load screen...but by plane, once loaded to new location, you have to find a place and land it before fuel runs out)

- No levels. A player's advancement is based on survival time. The longer they survive, the more options that open for skill sets to learn as they find and use items within the world.

- Death. Upon death, a player has two options. Restart at a random location from 0...or play as a zombie (if only bitten and not completely maimed) and go after other players until taken out...then restart at zero at a random loaction.

- Crafting systems for making weapons out of stuff found lying around, armor to protect against zombie bites.

- Players can build fortifications, blockades, etc as a unit.

- 1st or 3rd person.

- There world would not be sparcely populated with zombies, but pretty thick and can roam anywhere. They can hear noise and see you. Also smell you if bleeding/injured. Not slow moving (in all cases).

Comments

• Lethal920Lethal920 Member Posts: 112

Would need a good death penalty.

Also would be cool if player made clans could be formed and fight amongst each other. (Thinking of The Walking Dead)

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by Lethal920
    Would need a good death penalty.

Well...I'd like perma-death so the player needs to start again (Hence restart at zero time surviving). But come up with something and add it here if you have an idea..

Originally posted by Lethal920

Also would be cool if player made clans could be formed and fight amongst each other. (Thinking of The Walking Dead)

Absolutely nothing stopping that from happening. Would be a sandbox after all. Would just be dangerous to do so...as not paying attention to your surroundings while focusing on other players could make you a meal. =)

Especially if guns are used and the zombie hordes heard it. Then your talking zombie buffet dependign on the number of players engaged in the fighting lol. May have to stop fighting one another to work together to survive the zombie onslaught.

Hmmm. Guess everyone rather argue than discuss this or ideas for it for fun.
  • spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Love the idea of players turning into Zombies on death. Doing the same thing in board game rule set I am writing at the moment.
    Originally posted by spookydom
    Love the idea of players turning into Zombies on death. Doing the same thing in board game rule set I am writing at the moment.

Would be good as well if the players name didn't show either except to the player if in 3rd person. This way those still trying to survive won't know if the zombies coming at them are NPC's or players..or maybe both. So More unpredictable ones are mixed in with the rift raft.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    I wouldn't even hesitate on a game like this. I especially like the idea of having the option upon death to either restart at zip, or become a zombie until someone puts me out of my misery. This would seriously help with longevity.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Cecropia
    I wouldn't even hesitate on a game like this. I especially like the idea of having the option upon death to either restart at zip, or become a zombie until someone puts me out of my misery. This would seriously help with longevity.

Think about how your trying to have the longest survival time (There could be a stat board), so it would make it actually kind of scary for you if you are being chased by a bunch of zombies trying to kill and/or eat you.

It would be like Resident Evil, but on a grander scale.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I'm not sold yet with that list.

But you are familiar with Jeff Strain's newest project?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Quirhid

Nope. What is it? Something similar?

And add or take away from the list. That's the point of the thread. =)

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

They're making a zombie-survival MMORPG for the (I imgaine) next generation consoles. It seems their game is called State of Decay (didn't notice that until recently). But they have essentially the same plan as 38 Studios had although unlike them, they have an industry veteran at the helm (Strain). Basically they're first making a survival action game and using that money to fund a MMORPG with the same theme.

I haven't been following it very closely, but I bet you can dig up something at http://undeadlabs.com/

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Personally i think it is all in the implemention. There can be a great feature list, but the game can still sux if the details are not done right.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

Less about the setup, more about the game mechanics and long term content please.

I do not care if it is a sci-fi, survival horror or fantasy. If it is the same old as in the recent years I will not play it.

My question is: What do you want to do differently in comparison to existing (failed) games?

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

They're making a zombie-survival MMORPG for the (I imgaine) next generation consoles. It seems their game is called State of Decay (didn't notice that until recently). But they have essentially the same plan as 38 Studios had although unlike them, they have an industry veteran at the helm (Strain). Basically they're first making a survival action game and using that money to fund a MMORPG with the same theme.

I haven't been following it very closely, but I bet you can dig up something at http://undeadlabs.com/

It's not going to have Multiplayer until Class 4 SoD comes out. But there was a post from Jeff that said there might be coop in this SoD Class 3 coming out but he is not to sure.

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

Originally posted by Inf666

Less about the setup, more about the game mechanics and long term content please.

I do not care if it is a sci-fi, survival horror or fantasy. If it is the same old as in the recent years I will not play it.

My question is: What do you want to do differently in comparison to existing (failed) games?

Well first I'm not really producing such a game. I REALLY wish I could, but no...I'm not. This is a just for fun thread to brainstorm such a game. If you have ideas..please by all means add them!