Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games worth returning to?

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

In a market where most everyone has played everything there is to play, and the only option is to return to games you've already experienced in some way. What games are still worth their sub fee these days, and if they have gone FTP which ones still compete with P2P games in terms of value.

In other words, if you play say the new VG f2p model how much more money are you going to be spending than what it would have cost to just maintain a sub?

Here's a list.. I'd like to get some feedback on which ones are actually worth a 2nd look, and which ones should be left to rot.

1. World of Warcraft (I'm playing this right now, and this will be my 10 or 11th time returning.. so I think this one speaks for itself.. I know most people hate it though.)

2. Everquest

3. Everquest 2

4. Age of Conan

5. Vanguard

6. Warhammer Online

7. Aion

8. FFXI

9. FFXIV

10. LOTRO

11. Dungeons and  Dragons Online

12. Darkfall

13. Mortal Online

14. The Secret World

15. Fallen Earth

16. City of Heroes/Villains

17. DC universe Online

18. SWTOR

19. TERA

20. GW

21. GW2

22. EVE online

23. Runes of Magic

If I left any out, please add them. I didn't list any FTP games that aren't AAA titles

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Out of that list I'd go with WoW, EQ, EQ2, or Fallen Earth.
  • LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

FFXI, already doing it, and loving it again.

WOW same as above.

DAOC, it s just that good IMO.

EQ2 awesome quests, story and game overall.

• birkenbirken Member Posts: 122
    Vanguard is the only one that i would on that list.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

city of heroes is gone

I returned to tera and have been loving it. It just went free to play and is totally worth the nothing you have to spend. ( it's a real free to play game ) I'm paying the sub because it has things I want right now but if I ever want to go back to casual once or twice a week playing it's nice to have that option.

I think any game you've really liked in the past is worth returning to if it's had new content or big changes. STO was pretty weak when it first launched but I've been told it's a really fun game now.

It's always just peoples opinions anyway. You never really know if it was worth it, till you try it with an open mind.

• DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197
    I'm actually enjoying Aion again

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Currently playing Aion as well

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

you see, everyone tell you something ells. Your thread is pointless. Play what you want-dont ask others.

I could say no game is worth returning to- would you listen to me? no. So play what you want.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I have a huge investment in WoW but it doesn't grab me anymore. So out of your list, I'd say LOTRO and TSW have replayability in terms of how the game's story is set up to progress.

I do find it interesting that for me, anyway, it's how the story moves forward that grabs me over time rather than the time and money I've already put into a game.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Of your list, games I think are still of value:

4. Age of Conan (pretty much only for Tortage)

5. Vanguard

7. Aion

10. LOTRO

14. The Secret World

15. Fallen Earth

19. TERA

20. GW

21. GW2

One I think that deserves to be on your list is Star Trek Online.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MachinationMachination Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Jaedor

I have a huge investment in WoW but it doesn't grab me anymore. So out of your list, I'd say LOTRO and TSW have replayability in terms of how the game's story is set up to progress.

I do find it interesting that for me, anyway, it's how the story moves forward that grabs me over time rather than the time and money I've already put into a game.

I've recently returned to LOTRO and found to my delight that Bree had a major improvement. Streets feel crowded as guards patrol around (with torches at night), npc's waiting in line selling/buying goods, buildings are closer making the whole area tighter,a Forge-master and Relic-master, etc. It's one of those rare games that when you start messing about in it, you can truly lose yourself. 

• LedoxLedox Member Posts: 5
    World of Warcraft like a Curse

Old School RPG Player

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Age of Conan, EvE -> playing both again

Don´t need to return to Secret World because it´s still new and I´ll be playing it until the lights go off

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Why not try Tera seen as it went F2P and has new servers. 

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by raystantz

In a market where most everyone has played everything there is to play, and the only option is to return to games you've already experienced in some way. What games are still worth their sub fee these days, and if they have gone FTP which ones still compete with P2P games in terms of value.

In other words, if you play say the new VG f2p model how much more money are you going to be spending than what it would have cost to just maintain a sub?

Here's a list.. I'd like to get some feedback on which ones are actually worth a 2nd look, and which ones should be left to rot.

1. World of Warcraft (I'm playing this right now, and this will be my 10 or 11th time returning.. so I think this one speaks for itself.. I know most people hate it though.)

2. Everquest

3. Everquest 2

4. Age of Conan

5. Vanguard

6. Warhammer Online

7. Aion

8. FFXI

9. FFXIV

10. LOTRO

12. Darkfall

13. Mortal Online

14. The Secret World

15. Fallen Earth

16. City of Heroes/Villains

17. DC universe Online

18. SWTOR

19. TERA

20. GW

21. GW2

22. EVE online

23. Runes of Magic

If I left any out, please add them. I didn't list any FTP games that aren't AAA titles

Dark Age of Camelot, Ultima Online, Asheron's Call 1

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

its completely up to each players personal taste, but for me those games are Vanguard and Asheron Call 2.