Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Dragon Age: Origins Worth The Buy

13»

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

DA:O is wel lworth picknig up...

Keep well clear DA:O 2 tho it was a massive let down..

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Yes. easy as that.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by often

I'll put in my 2 cents.  

I think DA:O was a good game.  It wasn't much different than standard Bioware fare, though what they do, they tend to do pretty well.  The combat system was pretty interesting, though I felt the story was kind of lame.  It's a typical "evil thing is coming, beat it" sort of fantasy story that has been done before.  Doesn't mean they did a poor job with it though.  It's told in an engaging way, and many of the characters will grab you (as far as Story goes, I preferred the Witcher, though I prefered combat in DA:O).

As far as DA2 goes, I really liked it.  I know many really didn't, and I'm cool with that.  I'd say give it a chance.  I enjoyed what the story was trying to do, and what they were trying to do with conventions in the genre.  Instead of going on a journey to a ton of locations, your Hero stays in one city for most of his life and builds a reputation there.  I know many didn't like the reuse of locations (which is an understandable criticism), and disliked the seeming lack of choice in the game (though I feel this is a halmark of many RPGs, very few actually give choice), but it might be worth a shot.  I think there's still a demo out there.

I agree, I liked Dragon Age 2 though I hated its combat.

The thing with DA2 is that, in addition to what you said, your character isn't a standard hero but a reluctant hero. It also brings into account that no matter what you do, you can't save everyone and that your decisions might endanger others.

In some ways it was the grittier ofthe two games. though it suffered from repeated locations and assets.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    I throughly enjoyed Jade Empire which was made by Bioware too and am wondering if Dragon Age: Origins is worth the buy. Pros and cons of the game would be appreciated.

Mostly I can only put the cons as I couldn't stand it, worst pc game I've ever played.  I tried it every which way I could and could only find 2 things I liked,  the character customisation(you can tweak the look a lot) and the finishing off animations, unfortunately these al;so showed how little effort went into the rest of the look.  Giant sword taller than your character,  armour that doesn't fit properly, the standard waving your weapon near the enemy to fit them and so on.

First, be warned that x  hours gamplay turned out to be 75%(easy) cutscenes skip through these and you'll be done quite quickly.  Mostly what passed as gameplay was there to string the poorly written cutscenes together.  As others have said it's not exactly original,  it's basically a cliched, generic fantasy story  just with a poor script, acting was decent though(guessing this is where most of the money went).  It does have the 'consequences' choices to the story, but as you've played bioware before you'll be aware that they are done in such a way as to make no difference, you can lick the kings backside or tell him where to shove it ad you'll still get the same end to the cutscene.  You can also lose and gain loyalty points from your group and in theory if this drops far enough they'll leave, but again not really going to happen.

The tactics advertised on the box turned out to be a pointless micromanagement of when the AI sets off it's powers, potions etc.  however the AI wasn't very good so all i ended up doing was swapping the old skills for new ones when the time came and switching characters to heal etc. myself.  There didn't seem to be any real tactics I could use in combat(apparently you get a bonus with rear attacks but didn't notice anything)  mostly during the very few fights that were tough it came down to whose specials failed and whose didn't.

Combat, very simple.  Spacebar to pause the game, r click on emeny then unpause.  Pretty much covers that.

Magic, which I feel should be the big showpiece of this type of game, lacklustre.  Animations i think were copied from an old 16bit game and while the combinations things sounded quite good all it really does is limit your choices.

Could have been good but felt very unfinished(possibly because the ea buyout was not long after its release).

If you're looking for a very easy console rpg I'd say the kotor games do a better job than this(both), better story and gamp;ay but nowhere near as many cut scenes.  If you're looking for a good rpg from bioware the baldurs gate rebboot cam out end of last year.  DAO is about the cutscenes.

If you do buy it i'd suggest getting the ultimate edition as it has the dlc added.  I'd also suggest waiting until you find a copy on sale(got mine with an ebay voucher), the download sites seem to do this on a regular basis.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by BrooksTech
    Great game.  AndI should note, that I loved 2 as well, but I like games.

You LIKE games? what are you doing here? /boggle mind...

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    I liked Dragon Age Origins quite a bit. The game is more about planning than clicking. I played through twice. My first playthrough was as an arrogant mage, while my second was as a noble night. There were a lot of different scenes and choices.
  • rpg_gunnerrpg_gunner Member Posts: 80
    So have you finally bought the game?