Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] DK Online: Finding the Way to Dragon Knighthood

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

DK Online is centered around a heavily PvP centric world. We've been playing DK Online for the last little while and have some thoughts to share in preparation for our official review. Check it out before heading to the comments to tell us what you think.

DK Online (Dragon Knights) is the latest offering from free-to-play publishing giant Aeria Games, publishers of Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine and even Battlefield Heroes. Billing itself as a heavily PvP-oriented world, with large guild battles and castle sieges. It has intrigued me so far, but doesn’t seem to have any staying power.

Read more of George Dimmock's DK Online: Finding the Way to Dragon Knighthood .

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Stopped reading at "Gender locked"

Joined - July 2004

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    this game feels like a tab target version of Tera with much lower graphics, but it still looks good. Gender lock is a let down. Also, when you have a community that wants p2w you know theres something wrong. I hope AeriaGames dont listen to them, but it will be hard knowing they love it too.

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

Just wondering if this is being reviewed by someone who doesn't like PvP.  Most of the staff at MMORPG usually professes in their reviews that they don't like PvP, and then they go on to review the PvP aspect of the game which (no surprise) they didn't like.   If it's a PvP centric game, can we PLEASE have someone who likes to PvP actually review the game for a change?

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    I like the idea of some stuff, but gender locked and race locked classes? Really? this crap didn't fly back in the day why would it now?

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Thankfully this seems to be the tail end of the current gen of generic Korean imports. I played it for a bit and can't say a single thing struck me as remarkable or unique with this.

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

A f2p game focusing on PvP is going to be horribly ruined by the cash shop. Like every f2p port out there, we're going to see a slew of " enhancement gems" and "ultra upgrade hammers" that will be required to even begin to compete in PvP. It will take a strong will to keep the cash shop from going p2w. It does say they are responsible for Battlefield Heroes; I dabbled in the game a while back - the cash shop there does offer a slight advantage but nothing too outrageous...so they may pull it off, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Also, Bind*.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by remyburke

I almost did the same but looked up and watched a combat trailer. Between that and how choppy combat looked I wont look into this one. Gender lock really is a fail, as MMOers we would rather less class options over being forced to play a gender to play the class we want.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    this game feels like a tab target version of Tera with much lower graphics, but it still looks good. Gender lock is a let down. Also, when you have a community that wants p2w you know theres something wrong. I hope AeriaGames dont listen to them, but it will be hard knowing they love it too.

Tab targgeting combat with Tera style gfx.  Pass.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Basicly this.

WHY ON EARTH WHYYY are developers now going BACKWARDS in order to give players more freespace on how to uniquely create a character.

This is oh so laughable.

• darkangel1x2darkangel1x2 Member UncommonPosts: 8

dont waste ur time playing or even testing this, unfinished game, lots of bugs, faction vs faction so unbalanced since theres always the same wining side, if u tested tera the gfx are better than this one and consume less the Gfx card, cuz with dk online one full settings even the latest cards work at 99%, so badly optimized, server crash often, the xp gain with party is so low, make no sense.

its another rushed game, into the market trying to get money to continue dev it on the run given the players an unfinished game and much more problems.

basicly 2 clases, melee or mage, skills are bugged or unbalanced between clases, alot of gold spammers and botters, not a good game experience.

really aeriagames messed it hosting this fail game, its true that the bigger the company, the more greedy it become.

• mattic65mattic65 Member UncommonPosts: 191

I've played quite a bit of this game, and the only thing I can say about it on a positive note is that the presentation is good. But once you get into the gameplay you realize that it's more of the same. One of the things I paticularly dislike is the "skill tree".  There's only two of them, and there isn't much room for creativity or deviance. Also,  the point structure requires that you have to dump at least a point into a skill you don't want or use in order to progress down the tree.

• KuuhnKuuhn Member Posts: 41
    Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine is no longer published by Aeria and is back at its real home where it belongs with Atlus.
  • TheelyTheely Member UncommonPosts: 430

Ditto. Going backwards makes no sense!

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

Tried the beta and have to say it's yet another miss for Aeria. I have no idea who chooses the games for them to publish, but that person needs to be fired. There are a lot of decent second-rate MMOs, but lately Aeria keep choosing the bottom of a trash can. :(

Cheers.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Honestly I'm kind of having fun playing this. I can see why a lot of people hate on it, it is gender locked and generic, but it reminds me of Lineage 2, in almost every way. They have castle seiges, they have similar looking enemys, they have an enchant system that is similar, they even have soul shots in this game. I don't know for now I'm actually enjoying it.
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    This mini-review didn't really have anything to say about the pvp. Though it did say that castle seige mode had great potential to suck up your time. That's not pvp hate by a long shot.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• DrigusDrigus Member CommonPosts: 50
    Yep, this game is the end of the trash games in the f2p genre. Aeria needs to stop. 
  • loadbasicloadbasic Member UncommonPosts: 6

I don't mind the genderlock, but after trying out the closed beta (and a bit of the stress test) I'm not at all impressed.  It doesn't really offer anything new over other mmos, has some of the same glaring imbalances in PvP (that Aeria keeps on overshooting with their 'adjustments'), and absolutely clunky abilities everywhere else.  Oh yeah, pretty poor community as well, reminiscent of a ton of Aeria's games.

I won't call it a terrible MMO by any means, but it's really just mediocre.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Theely

Ditto. Going backwards makes no sense!

Same here.  Gender lock loses all my interest instantly.  

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    for asian grinder games that come out of that region as nothing but pure cash grabs this game is actually much different than most. It is very polished for fluid animations and graphics with decent gameplay for your standard tab targeting game. The concept has been used like a 1000 times though but its by far one of the better asian games to release lately as a free to play game. I know its completely quest driven to about level 30 then its pure out hell grind to cap. The pvp is a watered down version of warhammer online though , I cannot really comment further as I didnt get to pvp yet as I can only stomach so much of these old tab targeting games a day. I do plan to continue playing this game though to see how the pvp pans out. I know there was a free to play game awhile back called realms online that actually had decent pvp just like DAOC but it was just to empty to really be all that fun. So I will eventually see how this one turns out. Also if you manually turn on antistropic filtering in your graphics cards settings to 16x this game actually looks half decent , to bad sweetfx wont work with it.