Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is PS2 pay-to-win?

BeardymanBeardyman Member Posts: 50

Not making any accusations here, but I noticed on the login that buying a $15 game card from Gamestop earns you an exclusive rifle... Is this rifle basically for the skin, or is it better than what can be purchased through gameplay?

edit: spelling errors

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Depends. I feel the aircraft aspect of the game is pay to win. A2A dominate dogfights between flares, and rocket pods can take care of anything on the ground. You can do alright with just the noseguns, but with either secondary rockets, you'll do much better.

Tank and infantry play is pretty balanced I think. Unlockable guns tend to be specialized into a certain role, though some are pretty popular for certain classes, the default ones are perfectly fine and work great as an all purpose gun. The only exception to this is the Lightning tanks default gun, which I think is absolute garbage. You can unlock a much better one with just 100 certs though, couple hours grind at most.

I don't know anything about the exclusive rifle unless it's the NS11, which is unlockable ingame and not that great from what i've heard.

edit: And just in case you weren't sure, you can unlock every single gun in the game through gameplay. Anything that isn't 100-250 certs though will take a good amount of grinding.

• PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Not really ... each class comes with default weapons. You can purchase additional weapons (better ones) from the cash shop but you can also purchase them with certification points (as you kill players, assist in battles and capture bases you get xp and cert points). So it's not really necessary to purchase weapons with cash.

But ... they are fairly expensive. Now I am a very casual player. I rarely play on weekdays and when I play on the weekends it's usually for only a few hours and I guess it takes about a week to get around 400 cert points. The good weapons cost 1000 cert points. I used the cash shop for mine since I already had station cash stored just from sub'ing to eq, eq2 and planetside 1 previously.

1000 certs isn't a bad price, but you will want to spend your cert points on other things also, like better armor, better scopes, larger ammo capacity etc. So it will just take a little longer to acquire the better items.

But the game is free to download and free to play, so it's worth trying out.
  • Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by Beardyman

Not making any accusations here, but I noticed on the login that buying a $15 game card from Gamestop earns you an exclusive rifle... Is this rifle basically for the skin, or is it better than what can be purchased through gameplay?

edit: spelling errors

The rifle isn't going to turn you into a super soldier, nor are any of the items in the cash shop. Besides it's possible to unlock them with certs through normal gameplay.

The rifle is pretty much a skin from what I've been told so unless you like the look don't bother.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179

Yes, if you're Vanu.

Just buy Giraffe Camo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2-uSO_CxMY

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's basicly pay to advance faster. Pretty much like gw2. Although gw2 also has pay to avoid grinding pve.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Threatlevel0

Yes, if you're Vanu.

Just buy Giraffe Camo.

LOL!  So true!   Be careful though wearing this camo, it has a draw back, your VS team mates often mistake you for NC.  

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Was gonna say, camo works both ways, you seem to get tked a lot wearing it.
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

Well for me "Pay to win" can only occur in pvp

IE if i buy an xp boost that just grants me the ability to grind higher/hard mobs faster in a completely pve game I don't see that as p2w as there is no competition.

However if i buy an xp potion that allows me to get stronger quicker in a pvp game I do consider that p2w because there is competition and money can skew the results.

But considering that, I think the term p2w is a bit contradicting since you can never truly "pay to win" you can only pay to have a higher chance of winning (or a lower chance of losing lol), does PS2 fit that? Yes.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by Threatlevel0

Yes, if you're Vanu.

Just buy Giraffe Camo.

LOL!  So true!   Be careful though wearing this camo, it has a draw back, your VS team mates often mistake you for NC.  

I'm NC myself, and I run around in all White camo, on every contenent and at night, as Light Assault and can get some of the same slow reactions.     Jetpacked into the middle of the zerg of Vanu on the Crossroads hill overlooking the Crown during the weekend many times, getting multiple knife and shotgun kills before dying or even being fired upon.   Many would just walk by me.  Sometimes I'll toss out a couple C4 and pop them in the middle of groups before even being spotted or shot at.

Also, I've used smoke and concussion grenades a few times now, but I've never, not once, been killed or hit by any kind of non-frag grenade....  I'm beggining to think I'm the only one on Soltech who uses other grenades...

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Look what I just found on PS2 official forums.  LOL!  Giraffe Camo Part Two.   LOL!

Funny Video  <<<  clicky

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by dlld

Well for me "Pay to win" can only occur in pvp

IE if i buy an xp boost that just grants me the ability to grind higher/hard mobs faster in a completely pve game I don't see that as p2w as there is no competition.

However if i buy an xp potion that allows me to get stronger quicker in a pvp game I do consider that p2w because there is competition and money can skew the results.

But considering that, I think the term p2w is a bit contradicting since you can never truly "pay to win" you can only pay to have a higher chance of winning (or a lower chance of losing lol), does PS2 fit that? Yes.

I have to disagree.  The only thing you can do with station cash is buy stuff like new weapons, and camo.  You can't actually buy any of the unlocks for the weapons which are what make them better.

So, its kind of quasi pay 2 win.  Only if you're not good with the stock weapon.  The new weapons just tend to specialize.  I.e. one weapon will be better for longer distance shooting, whereas you can buy a shotgun which doesnt excellent CQB damage, but is utterly useless outside of 50 yards.  Whereas buying a foregrip which reduces lateral spread, and a compensator which reduces vertical recoil makes the gun SUBSTANTIALLY more effective, and only can be bought via certs.

There are a couple exceptions like someone mentioned one of the tank stocks guns being totally useless, but those are few and far between.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

You can get some advantages by making some purchases.   But nothing in this game is so over the top to be considered pay to win.

The advantages of $$$$ in this game is so small 95% of the time I would have to say the answer is   NO !!!!!! it isnt.

some will still argue it is , but I feel that they say this just to whine or cause they lack skill, or they find 1 area of the game that someone paid for an andvantage and all of a sudden the whole cash shop is pay 2 win.

One guy said it best, its pay to save time really.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Really? This again?

Ok it's pay to win for those who don't have time to play, expect egalitarian populations, and for those who feel the devs are the 4th faction against which battle must be continually be joined.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

pay to win?

No.

if  a wallet-warrior comes into the game thinking all they gotta do and plop 10 bucks a week/month and expect the masses to fall over and die in their presence. either being in the air, in a vehicle or infantry, on a one on one situation or multiple, that wallet-warrior will be nothing more than a glorified sheeple waiting to be spawn camped, bombed, sniped, knifed, road killed, gal bombed, flash bombed, ESF bombed, claymored, grenaded, emped concussioned, shotguned, SMG'ed,LMG'ed - useless soul, with his or her only purple is to pad the enemies Kill ratio.

as for the exlucsive rifle  the NS-11  you can also get that ingame.  and even that wont save you except piss off your allies (if your vanu due to standard issued weaponry)

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360
    I don't know how it could be said it's P2W.  You can get any weapon you need with the right amount of certs and the stuff requiring cash is all cosmetic.  That said, I have found that, depending on the circumstance, I play as well with a default weapon as one I have gotten with certs.  Don't downplay the quality of the default weapons.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    In a way, but PS2 pretty much makes it quite obselete so quickly. Theres very little it really offers that can't be earned or 'substituted' in with a little bit of time played which, even if your paying as far as I know theres no way to actually buy like unlocks ON a weapon, just buy the weapon itself.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

SoE has a lot of practice at straddling the line between acceptable cash shop and p2w.  Theyve put their toe over the line before, but thats about as far as theyve gotten.  Sure, they could change and jump over the line, but I think thats highly unlikely.  

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495
    as everything gameplay relevant is accessible via ingame currency (ns-11 included) the answer is no, its not pay to win, not by a huge margin. compared to restrictions in other freemium games ps2 is extremely forgiving....