Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

simple fix to open up the lands of Tamriel to all players.

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    If you are using rvr you NEED faction lock otherwise it doesn't work.

Ps2 has hard faction locks and is balanced

Tsw and gw2 tried to do rvr on the cheap by giving everyone shared pve content. They are not balanced.

Fine open up the world on some servers, but make them full pvp or no pvp servers or both. The idea of team together in pve but then fight each other in cyrodil "for fun" will just break the factional pvp for those that like it with keep trading dickeads and what have you - again see the secret world.

There isn't one simple ruleset that will please everyone. Have normal servers, have more than one ruleset.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Lets wait and see how they implement it first. Besides, having unique areas promotes replayability between the different factions.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    If you are using rvr you NEED faction lock otherwise it doesn't work.

Ps2 has hard faction locks and is balanced

Tsw and gw2 tried to do rvr on the cheap by giving everyone shared pve content. They are not balanced.

Fine open up the world on some servers, but make them full pvp or no pvp servers or both. The idea of team together in pve but then fight each other in cyrodil "for fun" will just break the factional pvp for those that like it with keep trading dickeads and what have you - again see the secret world.

There isn't one simple ruleset that will please everyone. Have normal servers, have more than one ruleset.

What does PvE content have to do with PvP?

More important, why does PvP content have to dictate and change the PvE content to such a huge extent?

I can understand having restrictions on members of different factions grouping for PvE content but why can't friends who have not joined a faction group up?

Why does the PvP design have to affect guilds that want to be inclusive to all races rather then exclusive simply because the game doesn't allow it?

Why do PvE players and PvE guilds have to have these restrictions enforced on them when they may never engage in any PvP at all?

Why are faction locked races needed to make it work?

Why can you not allow any race to join any faction, allow it to be a choice and allow people that choose not to join not be affected?

If PvP is restricted to the central hub of Cryodil and the 3 factions do not allow fighting outside Cryodil (that is a great fudge on game design so as  not to have to deal with the issue) then what exactly is the problem of letting people move around the entire land mass?

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Oh, look! The PvE-only players want to play special snowflake again. Sweet.

Bad idea.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by FromHell

Bad idea.

I have a feeling plenty of the people against locking regions to specific factions are all for the PvP... they're just against pointless restrictions on content that will make the game seem pathetically small. You don't have to be PvE-only to dislike the idea.

Bad idea.

lol I am really interested in the logic leap you took from players wanting to have the map not be restricted to keep it more in the spirit of a TES game to PvE players wanting to play special snowflakes.

Please, open up your mind and explain just how that connection was made. Medical science could learn a lot...

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Easy to say for PvP'rs when important TES freedoms are scrapped in your honor.  The day will come when the silent majority will become vocal.
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

People are insane.

PVP happens in 1 AREA - Cyrodiil.... that is a good thing that means ALL PVP and ALL PVP'ers will be in Cyrodiil.... you should find PVP ALL THE TIME.

Opening the world up in ANY WAY... pulls people from Cyrodiil... less people PVP'ing.

For PVE'er....roll 3 characters. Most  PVE'ers are altaholics anyhow, so what is the big deal.

Originally posted by Alberel

Bad idea.

I have a feeling plenty of the people against locking regions to specific factions are all for the PvP... they're just against pointless restrictions on content that will make the game seem pathetically small. You don't have to be PvE-only to dislike the idea.

Pathetically SMALL?

Are you crazy?

Skyrim was huge... guess what Ebonheart also got Morrowind, Black Marshes and Cyrodiil to explore... that is 4 TES games worth of material.

All sides will have huge areas to play in...

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Bad idea.

Well, if they open up all maps for PvErs, they better open it up for people who enjoy fighting real players too, not just for the carebears who enjoy collecting rat tails in a different setting.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by fs23otm

For PVE'er....roll 3 characters. Most  PVE'ers are altaholics anyhow, so what is the big deal.

Pretty simple really.

I want to be able to walk my Breton character the the top of the Voice of the world in Skyrim, or to wander to the volcano in morrowind or enter the Black marshes. I don't want to have to create an alt to visit any of these sights I want to go there as my Breton.

As an altaholic the problem isn't that I can make alts to view the other area's of the game. It is that I am FORCED to make alts to see them.

And lastly, I really hate that I have absolutely no choice in joining a faction or not. It is bad enough that I cannot choose to stay out of the conflict but the worst thing is, each faction is race locked so if cannot create a Breton who fights for the AD or the EP. I will ALWAYS fight for the DC if I an a Breton and I have ZERO CHOICE in the matter.

Originally posted by Maelwydd

Pretty simple really.

I want to be able to walk my Breton character the the top of the Voice of the world in Skyrim, or to wander to the volcano in morrowind or enter the Black marshes. I don't want to have to create an alt to visit any of these sights I want to go there as my Breton.

As an altaholic the problem isn't that I can make alts to view the other area's of the game. It is that I am FORCED to make alts to see them.

And lastly, I really hate that I have absolutely no choice in joining a faction or not. It is bad enough that I cannot choose to stay out of the conflict but the worst thing is, each faction is race locked so if cannot create a Breton who fights for the AD or the EP. I will ALWAYS fight for the DC if I an a Breton and I have ZERO CHOICE in the matter.

Then don't play the game. You don't like the way they make the game don't play. It's not like my opinion or your opinions matter. I happen to agree with the Dev's choices and I like them. 

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

People are insane.

PVP happens in 1 AREA - Cyrodiil.... that is a good thing that means ALL PVP and ALL PVP'ers will be in Cyrodiil.... you should find PVP ALL THE TIME.

Opening the world up in ANY WAY... pulls people from Cyrodiil... less people PVP'ing.

As low as the population will probably be then I suspect you're right, they can't afford to have people anywhere else.

Mael
    I don't get your problem

You drop the mega server

You have rvr servers with the ruleset they currently have, only it will work better as people won't be able to switch campaigns or guest on a friends campaign. This server will work for people who like games like daoc and war. This server will also work for people that play games like wow, like both pve and pvp, but like to keep them separate.

You have servers that are open to going anywhere, you can make group with anyone and you can make guild with anyone, where pvp is flagged OFF everywhere (or perhaps only on in cyrodil, but just for fun with pvp rewards removed as cross realming will be rife) this server would suit EQ and swg fans. AND YOU

You gave a server where you can go everywhere and pvp is flagged on everywhere except cities. This server would suit ac darktide, daoc mordred & darkfall players.

More people are then happy.

What you seem hell bent on is making the mega server more wishy washy and pvp less important breaking the fun for everyone that isn't a heavy pveer.
  • dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    It's a bad idea. I remember I switched from albion to hibernia 2 years after I started daoc and it was like a whole new game. Then I played midgard some years later and it was like a new game again. On the other hand on wow/gw2 you have already seen everything in the first week. Also it helps to create rivalries and make the war feel important.
  • ClawzonClawzon Member UncommonPosts: 188

Bad idea.

Pathetically SMALL?

Are you crazy?

Skyrim was huge... guess what Ebonheart also got Morrowind, Black Marshes and Cyrodiil to explore... that is 4 TES games worth of material.

SWTOR did not only make Kotor 3 but also 4, 5, 6, 7,8.......... and ended up miserably because it was not a seamless game! People were locked out from eachother. You had to roll a Jedi to be able to explore the Tython planet even if you hated the Jedis since your main character and other alts were Siths!!

Someone mentioned pvp, pve and rp servers and I tend to agree!

There are thousends of game outthere to play, why do I play mmo's?? Because I want a virtual world to spend my freetime in once in a while.

:)

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Clawzon

Bad idea.

Pathetically SMALL?

Are you crazy?

SWTOR did not only make Kotor 3 but also 4, 5, 6, 7,8.......... and ended up miserably because it was not a seamless game! People were locked out from eachother. You had to roll a Jedi to be able to explore the Tython planet even if you hated the Jedis since your main character and other alts were Siths!!

There are thousends of game outthere to play, why do I play mmo's?? Because I want a virtual world to spend my freetime in once in a while.

Yet what was the biggest argument against leveling an alt in swtor? Thats right having to repeat content/going to the same planets/zones, teso is removing that complaint for at least 3 of your alts

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Mael
    I don't get your problem

You drop the mega server

You have rvr servers with the ruleset they currently have, only it will work better as people won't be able to switch campaigns or guest on a friends campaign. This server will work for people who like games like daoc and war. This server will also work for people that play games like wow, like both pve and pvp, but like to keep them separate.

You have servers that are open to going anywhere, you can make group with anyone and you can make guild with anyone, where pvp is flagged OFF everywhere (or perhaps only on in cyrodil, but just for fun with pvp rewards removed as cross realming will be rife) this server would suit EQ and swg fans. AND YOU

You gave a server where you can go everywhere and pvp is flagged on everywhere except cities. This server would suit ac darktide, daoc mordred & darkfall players.

More people are then happy.

What you seem hell bent on is making the mega server more wishy washy and pvp less important breaking the fun for everyone that isn't a heavy pveer.

I listed a lot of questions which you haven't really addressed. Those questions give very good indication of my 'problem' so if you can answer those questions specifically, even in a PM, perhaps you might understand the points I am trying to make better.

But if you say "I don't understand your problem" and then ignore the questions I ask to tell you what my problem is then the discussion is pointless.

And no, I have not even address any issues with the megaserver. I hold judgement on that as I think it could work but am not holding my breath. I can forsee a problem with the server linked to this race/faction locking in that people will still nto be able to play wih friends unless they are the same factions and that means guilds will have to have only 3 races of diversity and that I think will be a problem more then any technical problems.

And I am not trying to make the PvP wishy washy. I see absolutely no correlation between allowing people to Choose faction as opposed to it being race locked. Unless it is not a popular feature and then you have to ask, if it is an unpopular feature then then probably should not have designed the whole game around it. PvP happens in the PvP hub. What happens outside it has no effect on it. It makes no difference in I am an Orc, Elf or Breton, I fight for faction not race.

But please go back to my questions and supply some answers to the issues I raise.

Originally posted by deakon

Bad idea.

Pathetically SMALL?

Are you crazy?

Yet what was the biggest argument against leveling an alt in swtor? Thats right having to repeat content/going to the same planets/zones, teso is removing that complaint for at least 3 of your alts

My 2 favorite races are Breton and Orc. They are both the same faction. I will have to repeat all content on my 2nd character because I cannot go elsewhere to level up! If there are 150 quests and you only need 50 to level up then locking race/factions means you 100% have to repeat content if you create another character in the same faction. Unlocking race/faction means you could level up 3 characters of the same faction without ever repeating content.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Bad idea.

Pathetically SMALL?

Are you crazy?

SWTOR didn't fail because of seperation.

I wouldn't change what they have in TESO at the moment because we have no idea how important it could be. 

Bad idea.

Pathetically SMALL?

Are you crazy?

My 2 favorite races are Breton and Orc. They are both the same faction. I will have to repeat all content on my 2nd character because I cannot go elsewhere to level up! If there are 150 quests and you only need 50 to level up then locking race/factions means you 100% have to repeat content if you create another character in the same faction. Unlocking race/faction means you could level up 3 characters of the same faction without ever repeating content.

Yes and people would still complain that they are going through content they have already seen/explored, because most people consume content rather than save content, if you lock that content by faction when they roll the other faction thats one complaint they wont have

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Bad idea.

Pathetically SMALL?

Are you crazy?

Yes and people would still complain that they are going through content they have already seen/explored, because most people consume content rather than save content, if you lock that content by faction when they roll the other faction thats one complaint they wont have

So basically what you are saying is, don't get too attached to any particular character you make, because your going to have to abandon it pretty soon and make a new one, don't be too surprised if people don't appreciate being forced to keep moving from faction to faction, and if that in fact ends up more than doubling the complaints being made about the game. image

Mael

No under what I said, guilds would be limited to 3 races only on the rvr servers

On the pve coop and full pvp servers guilds could have people from all 9 races.

People who value freedom to see it all or group with other races over competative balanced rvr would pick one of the later 2 server types. People who prioritize wanting their rvr "clean" would pick the first type.

You play tsw, you know how ducked up that games pvp is because everyone is chums together in pve, pvp just ended up a keep trading circle for pveers trying to power obtain a starting dungeon set. It's one of the reasons I quit, getting created at by scumbags because I actually wanted to pvp in a pvp zone rather than stand aside and key people friends take it do we could take it back for maximum token farmage.

TESO will not hold pvpers for long if they adopted a simmilar ruleset to tsw.
    Originally posted by Phry

So basically what you are saying is, don't get too attached to any particular character you make, because your going to have to abandon it pretty soon and make a new one, don't be too surprised if people don't appreciate being forced to keep moving from faction to faction, and if that in fact ends up more than doubling the complaints being made about the game. image

Yes because rolling an alt means you abandon your main /end sarcasm

The whole idea of an alt is to be an alternate to your main not a replacement.

Having content that you cant see unless you playthrough the game again is better for replayability than having all ocntent available on one toon

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Up until now, I hadn't paid attention to this game at all, because I'm not really a TES fan, but the more this game sounds like DAoC, the more I am becoming interested in it, but I thought this was a class/level based game.  If there is only one PvP area (like DAoC before battlegrounds), how are noobs going to PvP without getting slaughtered?  Are they going to have level boosting like TOR's BGs?

As to the primary topic of this thread, I fully support keeping the realms faction locked.  I don't want to see elves and cat people roaming my realm.