Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Attempting to come back

AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

So I had a thought of trying the game out again. I brought the lifetime sub at release. Wanted to check the official forums out and see whats up. Logged in with my account that I created prior the Perfect World changes. Logged in ok but it forced me into making a perfect world account. Got that set up ok. Went to forums but wasn't allowed to make a thread.

Came back to site later and attempted to login again. Was told that there was something not right. I was sure of my new password and details, anyways, I reset the password and tried again. Nope... failure.

3  more times I tried this... frustrating experience. Filed a ticket for support and now just waiting. All that initial buzz fizzled out. Might as well use the lifetime sub for the Neverwinter beta.

I'm a CEM irl and this is just a really poor experience. The only positive was I had to re-download the game again and it only took 14 minutes. Sorry felt the need to vent.

Comments

• Mr_CyberpunkMr_Cyberpunk Member Posts: 71

yeah long time lifetimer here, I tried coming back recently too. When Cryptic got sold to PWE they migrated the accounts server, so as a result everyone who was on their old database now has to migrate it over to the new PWE system. It was a pain but it eventually resolved itself for me, I logged in to discover all my captains full of Dilithium and a shit load of ZEN in my account. Was really cool- bout time we lifers started getting something for our troubles (I like that the stuff Cryptic was previously charging for is now essentially free to lifers). I hope you have the same luck and surprise I had lol.

As to being disgusted. I'll agree, when this game came out it was a pile of shit.. but its gotten a LOT better, its at least passable as a game now which is great, its still got a long way to go but hey at least its somewhat enjoyable now and has a pretty strong player base. Most of the complaints I've read from long timers have been more about lockboxes (because they release new ships and put them in as "random chance" c-store items which is dodgy as shit) and the overall lack of end-game content... that and KDF has still some major issues that haven't been fixed since launch.

However they have done a lot of good things with the game too, the Doff system is gold I just kinda wish they'd expand on it a bit more but its easily become my favoruite part of the game and reduced the grind considerably making it more passive like EVE Online- except this system you actually have limited interaction and there's a chance you can epically fuck up. I like that you can fail missions now. However what they've done is pretty slack compared to some of the amazing stuff that came out of the foundry, they really put a lot of the Cryptic guys to shame at how well some of those missions are put together.

PvP still sucks IMO.

Tbh dispite all the crap we've been though, I really really really want this game to succeed. If they pull it off it could be an amazing MMO, it certainly has the potential to be, but after 3 years of waiting its still a matter of "Why the fuck isn't the game good yet you've had 3 years".. There certainly was some major management issues at Cryptic.. Bill Roper did not help one bit because the mans a fucking con artist so the game launched terribly. But the first 2 years was full of fighting with the team and just general shit attitudes towards the fans.. those attitudes have certainly improved but still have a long way to go. And I don't actually mind the c-store anymore given that you don't "Have" to pay for things, you can grind perfectly fine if you want to but its a long grind.

I definately don't regret coming back..

I'd love it if they'd fix the god damn first person camera though lol. Its a cool bug/feature and I'd argue a lot of people have wanted something like it.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I played this game for about 2 months, and had fun with it (before the bridge officer system). The only real problem I had with it is that you're basically forced to choose between space-based skills, or ground-based ones (each at the detriment of the other).

There needs to be seperate skill trees for ground combat and space combat. If they ever do that, I might consider going back to check it out.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Between STO and TSW, I hope players have learned to NEVER buy a lifetime sub. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• mrBurns210mrBurns210 Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by ktanner3

eh  I wish I bought a lifetime sub for STO back when it came out.  Hell even 2 years ago I would have ( I only discovered the game in 2011). I bought 1 year sub with tsw... I would have gladly gotten the lifetime for that game and I play it even less then STO.

Back to the op's topic:

STO surprised me out of all the MMO I have played since 2011 ( lefted wow for good after Cata released) it has the most overall hours played ( Steam ). I seem to play in waves with the game but it is a mmo that I have come to enjoy. Ground combat which I could not stand when I first played has become a part that I really like. PvP is nonexsistent but I read they are gonna try and revive it... but i never played STO for the pvp.

• Mr_CyberpunkMr_Cyberpunk Member Posts: 71

Switching to a twitch based ground combat model was the smartest thing they ever did IMO.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

I have a lifetime sub to both and have zero regrets. I'm more happy with my TSW GM sub because I think the perks for GMs are really good.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

Originally posted by Sevenwind

I have a lifetime sub to both and have zero regrets. I'm more happy with my TSW GM sub because I think the perks for GMs are really good.

Good for you. A for me, I'm glad that I didn't pay a lifetime sub for a game that I can now play for free. 

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Good for you. A for me, I'm glad that I didn't pay a lifetime sub for a game that I can now play for free. 

Guess it depends how you play and how long, both STO and TSW.  If you want to play Issue 6 content and onward you're going to have to pay. After the lifetime has paid for itself I'm not having to pay for anymore content.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

Guess it depends how you play and how long, both STO and TSW.  If you want to play Issue 6 content and onward you're going to have to pay. After the lifetime has paid for itself I'm not having to pay for anymore content.

I maxed out my character in STO withhout paying a single dime. I haven't played TSW since it went FTP, but I'm glad to know that I don't have to do pay anything until Issue 6. ;) 

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

I played this game for about 2 months, and had fun with it (before the bridge officer system). The only real problem I had with it is that you're basically forced to choose between space-based skills, or ground-based ones (each at the detriment of the other).

There needs to be seperate skill trees for ground combat and space combat. If they ever do that, I might consider going back to check it out.

Hell yes.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

My LTS paid for itself before the game went F2P. No regrets here.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Not sure which players you're speaking for here.

I've never bought a lifetime deal for any game, but those are two games I probably wish I had bought lifetimes for when they launched.

For whatever reason, of the themepark games out there, STO is the one I most regularly return to.  Been playing it off and on since launch, and my playtime has been increasing as time goes on.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Rohn

Not sure which players you're speaking for here.

I've never bought a lifetime deal for any game, but those are two games I probably wish I had bought lifetimes for when they launched.

For whatever reason, of the themepark games out there, STO is the one I most regularly return to.  Been playing it off and on since launch, and my playtime has been increasing as time goes on.

Hell if the STO lifetime goes on sale again I just might even buy it this time around. I could use a little more zen banking for all the PW games I play.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

Hell if the STO lifetime goes on sale again I just might even buy it this time around. I could use a little more zen banking for all the PW games I play.

That wouldn't be a great idea :) and I'm not talking about the value of lifetime STO, just the "more zen banking for all the PW games I play"  part. Monthly stipend is tied to your STO balance, you can't use those points in other PWE games.

Khm... just checked  http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/freetoplay/features-matrix and it says while you can't use it in every PWE games, you can use it in all Cryptic's games... It was new to me. And it's great! :) Neverwinter is on the way :) (the only problem is the note below, that 'subject to change' thingy)

Edit: nope, maybe just my bad english... you can't use STO points in CO.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

That wouldn't be a great idea :) and I'm not talking about the value of lifetime STO, just the "more zen banking for all the PW games I play"  part. Monthly stipend is tied to your STO balance, you can't use those points in other PWE games.

Khm... just checked  http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/freetoplay/features-matrix and it says while you can't use it in every PWE games, you can use it in all Cryptic's games... It was new to me. And it's great! :) Neverwinter is on the way :) (the only problem is the note below, that 'subject to change' thingy)

Edit: nope, maybe just my bad english... you can't use STO points in CO.

Oh damn...thanks for the link. I see that promo points differ from actual Zen currency used for all PW games. Still though. You do get grandfathered in for all the veteran rewards with a lifetime pack. That and you get darn near all account effecting bonuses unlocked.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

That's why I said I mean only the "zen for every game" part and not the lifetime value :) Actually it's a pretty decent offer if you want to have the member benefits. Not to mention the full veteran rewards (which caused some uproar, since the lifetime buyers got everything before those who are subscribers since the beginning...)

As a recent thread on the sto forum stated, subscription is pointless in STO, the two viable ways are f2p (with occasional zen purchase) and lifetime if you want to be gold. Especially with that $200 sale.