Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] General: Razer Edge - A Chunky Little Beast

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During the recent Consumer Electronics Show, we had the opportunity to check out the Razer Edge, the latest cutting edge tablet set to hit the market. Find out what we thought of the Razer Edge and then join the conversation in the comments.

Razer announced its entry into tablet land with Project Fiona at CES 2012. With CES 2013, their project “Fiona” has launched as the Razer Edge Pro, available in the 1st quarter, 2013. The Edge Pro weighs in at 2 lbs and is almost an inch thick. It’s a chunky little beast with an Intel i7 core processor, 10.1” (1366x768) HD display, Nvidia GT 640M LE 2GB graphics, 8G DDR3 RAM and choice of 128 or 256 SSD storage.

Read more Carolyn Koh's Razer Edge - A Chunky Little Beast.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

me getting.

along side my alienware11, i own the razer and love it.

• KamielRKamielR Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I just wish the CPU was at least a 660 and not the 640.
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    This is the first machine, I'm excited for 2-3 years down the road when I retire my current setup. This is still pretty cool though right now.
  • Crusix221Crusix221 Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Any idea on the release date yet? I know its Q1 but......
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I know I don't need this... but gods if I don't want it.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114

Anyone shelling 1K for this should have their brains checked.

No really ...

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Personally I find this a bit useless but thats just me considering theres not really many 'games' that would need such a 'beast' of a touch screen 'computer' (tablet absically) to run due to how other tablets are in comparison right now. Still its nice I suppose with games that it would work for or for mobile uses maybe docking and using a keyboard with it.

• health001health001 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Originally posted by Tenkousei

No really ...

i dont have the money,but i want it...So i guess ill go get my brain checked ty :)

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Having owned 2 tablets before...I just don't get em. It's like a gimped computer or a really fat phone that can't make phone calls. What's the point? If I wanna play games I use a laptop or a real PC, for music I have MP3 players or my android. What exactly does a tablet bring to the table other than a dent in your pocket? Because after using several I have yet to see why anyone would need it for anything other than certain jobsites.

Why shell out 1k for this tiny thing when you can build a computer with twice the specs for the same money?

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Kenshin_HimuraKenshin_Himura Member Posts: 75
    Mmorpg with touch screen would be tough people so used to mouse/keyboard and no point on installing mouse/keyboard on that might as well buy a desktop if you do :P

Because its portable, it takes up less space, no wires, ....... There are more reasons and chances are the tablet you used was not designed for gaming. This has a ways to go but at least the ice has been broken. I used to think tablets were silly too, and really compare this to an asus g series laptop and yes the laptop will blow it out of the water, and the laptop is cheaper, but the tablet it still smaller and easier to store, more convienient to get out and put away, or just take with you.
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    Because its portable, it takes up less space, no wires, ....... There are more reasons and chances are the tablet you used was not designed for gaming. This has a ways to go but at least the ice has been broken. I used to think tablets were silly too, and really compare this to an asus g series laptop and yes the laptop will blow it out of the water, and the laptop is cheaper, but the tablet it still smaller and easier to store, more convienient to get out and put away, or just take with you.

I understand what you are saying here, but I just don't see it. A laptop is more than enough portability and doesn't have any wires unless your battery is dead. I can buy a laptop with the same portability an 18 inch screen and get more for my money. If tablets like this costed the same as a laptop or less, then it may be worth the money.

I have not tested one out, but my experience with laptops is that running it from the battery only did not provide the user with smooth flawless gameplay. I wonder how tablets will be. I have used laptops as my main setup before, and if it wasn't for the steep price on laptops I would still have one over a desktop.
    I have not tested one out, but my experience with laptops is that running it from the battery only did not provide the user with smooth flawless gameplay. I wonder how tablets will be. I have used laptops as my main setup before, and if it wasn't for the steep price on laptops I would still have one over a desktop.

You have a very good point here, most of the games I play are older so it makes sense they don't hitch or anything on just the battery. But I could see a newer game making it chug without plugging the laptop in. I see the uses for something like this, but unless it costs the same or less than a laptop, why bother? You pay more and get less... I hope tablets eventually evolve into something for gaming but for right now I think they belong firmly in the realm of day to day tasks and internet browsing.

However If I had one of these I'd probably see what it can handle :)

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

I understand what you are saying here, but I just don't see it. A laptop is more than enough portability and doesn't have any wires unless your battery is dead. I can buy a laptop with the same portability an 18 inch screen and get more for my money. If tablets like this costed the same as a laptop or less, then it may be worth the money.

The problem here is there is a bit of a misconception. A laptop is NOT as portable. Walking and using the laptop is not easy, depending on where and how you are sitting a laptop again is not as easy to use. You need a place to set the laptop down and if you want to game you need a place to put your mouse unless you are comfortable gaming with that track pad they come with. 

A tablet trumps laptops in portability as much as laptops trump desktops in portability. Then there is the added functionallity. The acceleromators and the touch screen add more capabillities than the laptop can offer. A Tablet with a camera on the back offers augmented reality capabilities that a laptop can't give. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2uH-jrsSxs <--- this vid will give you an idea of what I mean by augmented reality. 

If you want power get a desktop

If you want portability get a tablet 

If you want something that fits awkwardly in between, get a laptop. Though with the rise of streaming computing and gaming power/performance isn't as much of an issue as of late. Hell, I've been playing GW2 as well as TSW on my Acer Iconia A200 with various apps. 

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

No really ...

When are people going to realize not all of us are Ramen noodle eating college students or trying to feed a family of 7 on a Walmart greeters wage.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Probably the same time you realize your in the minority . 1k yes is steep for something that is going to under perform. Even a rich dude has to see that. There is balance to be made when considering performace and cost, in this case I'm afraid the performance loss just isn't worth the portability gain, that's just me. I know when I compare an mx 17 to a g 75 I will take the g 75 all day, the perfromance gain for the extra $1000 for the mx 17 isn't worth it imo. That's just me.
  • berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345

if it had wings and could fly around it should be awesome.

Next Project:

A watch with 2´inch screen , i7, 16gb, gtx690M or 7990 and you can plug that anywhere for only 10k

MAC, Alienware or Razer are on the run.

Beta tester maniac

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

The problem here is there is a bit of a misconception. A laptop is NOT as portable. Walking and using the laptop is not easy, depending on where and how you are sitting a laptop again is not as easy to use. You need a place to set the laptop down and if you want to game you need a place to put your mouse unless you are comfortable gaming with that track pad they come with. 

A tablet trumps laptops in portability as much as laptops trump desktops in portability. Then there is the added functionallity. The acceleromators and the touch screen add more capabillities than the laptop can offer. A Tablet with a camera on the back offers augmented reality capabilities that a laptop can't give. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2uH-jrsSxs <--- this vid will give you an idea of what I mean by augmented reality. 

If you want power get a desktop

If you want portability get a tablet 

If you want something that fits awkwardly in between, get a laptop. Though with the rise of streaming computing and gaming power/performance isn't as much of an issue as of late. Hell, I've been playing GW2 as well as TSW on my Acer Iconia A200 with various apps. 

In about 10 years I can see this being true. Tablets are a cool idea, but until this technology surpasses what laptops are capable of for the same price, it will stay a split market. This thing comes so close to being able to be used for gaming, but I'm seeing the same thing happening that happened to desktops. When laptops came out, for a long time desktops were still king. Actually in terms of performance they are still king. There were a lot of people claiming it would be the death of desktops back in the 90s, but here we are, plenty of people using desktops and plenty of people using laptops as well.

I can definitely see why someone would get this, I just don't have any use for it personally as I have other electronics that costed less and perform better.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by orbitxo

me getting.

along side my alienware11, i own the razer and love it.

me, along side my custom build i7 rig (that I didn't even spend close to 1000 on), will destroy every game on max... while you fart around looking at screenshots (low frames).

• TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by Wighty

No really ...

When are people going to realize not all of us are Ramen noodle eating college students or trying to feed a family of 7 on a Walmart greeters wage.

Woah, talk about a personal attack there. For a 40 year old, you're quite prejudiced to say the least. Besides there's nothing wrong with college (which i finished long ago) or ramen which i do enjoy when it's not the instant rubbish you find in supermarkets. I didn't know that having some affection for Japanese culture could get you shot around these parts. Anyway ...

It is quite heave and having to buy an extra controller dock just to play games makes it even worse. It has everything a gaming laptop has, with the exception of the out-of-the-box convenience that a laptop has. Your putting down your 1K and you're down to playing standard touchscreen stuff, lest you spend another 250 for the controller dock. And that same controller dock will make the whole thing even heavier and as such, even less mobile.

From what i read in reviews, the battery life is piss poor as well. 2 Hours when you're gaming, 5 to 6 hours for standard tablet tasks.

The base version doesn't sport an I7 either, but an i5. (Why you'd need an I7 for gaming is beyond me though, as most games don't support more than 4 threads anyway), the i7 version is more expensive.

That thing reminds me of Sega's GameGear from the early '90s. It was big, more powerful than the competion, but also more expensive and less popular than the GameBoy. This product will remain a niche product..

You're free to spend your money on whatever you feel like, but it wouldn't even cross my mind to spend 1250 Euro for a thing like that. For the same price, i'd have a proper laptop.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Off-topic forum?

/boggle never mind then, properly stashed after all, I guess.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Shows as 1300 on the Razer site. + $350 for the extras and who wouldn't go with an extended warranty on what is essentially newer technology (at $199).

A little steep for me.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

What is portability for you?

For me portability is being able to run about 2 kilometers each day with a computer on my backpack. For that a gaming laptop is way too heavy and large.

Originally posted by Vrika

What is portability for you?

For me portability is being able to run about 2 kilometers each day with a computer on my backpack. For that a gaming laptop is way too heavy and large - I could as well carry a brick with me while running.

I kind of feel sorry for you if you cant run 2km carrying a brick...those weigh next to nothing. It's hard to remember a lot of people don't do physical labor anymore haha. Everyone has a different definition of portable. Sure this is more "portable" than a gaming laptop, but you can't play games on it. Moot point really.