Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Duncan Jones Secured to Direct WoW Film

2»

Comments

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Wow could peak again , its not former players they target. I have played video games for years and before 2008 espn world of warcraft commercials I had never heard of it. I simply was not looking for it or anything like it, they went to espn broadcast to a new demographic and now here I am today on an mmorpg website. I still think there are untapped markets wow could grab and revive the player base. Probably won't be the mmo vets cup of tea but it will be someone's , they just need to go get them like they did me back in 2008.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

My Little Sparkle Pony - The Movie

Summer Holiday release, bring a new generation of under represented Pre-teen female gamers into WoW.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Hahaha I can't believe they are still talking about this. This is about 5 years too late guys.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by vorpal28
    Excellent director to choose, he also directed an amazing film called Moon, but what more would you expect for David Bowie's son!

Yeah, Moon is a great little movie. Good screenwriter on this as well (Blood Diamond)

We shall see.

Blood Diamond was amazing and Tales of the Past 3 was all gameplay footage and was a great WoW movie to me. So I can't wait to see what they have in store. I have been talking about a WoW movie since my vanilla days.

Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Hahaha I can't believe they are still talking about this. This is about 5 years too late guys.

A movie was talked about in the shadows for about 5 years but never came to light. Now that they are finally in motion for one i can't see why it would be too late to make a movie based on the best mmorpg of all time.

Originally posted by Shrilly

A movie was talked about in the shadows for about 5 years but never came to light. Now that they are finally in motion for one i can't see why it would be too late to make a movie based on the best mmorpg of all time.

I don't even know what to say to this. The idea of a warcraft movie has been around since before WoW even released, I just can't believe they waited this long and are now trying to do it. By the way most popular =/= best, just for future reference, played WoW for 4 years myself, but let's be honest here, it's not the best MMO I have played haha :D

I don't even know what to say to this. The idea of a warcraft movie has been around since before WoW even released, I just can't believe they waited this long and are now trying to do it. By the way most popular =/= best, just for future reference, played WoW for 4 years myself, but let's be honest here, it's not the best MMO I have played haha :D

I would disaggree. When i first saw WoW I was very happy to get it when I got it I was blown away the game was great up until cata to me thats when i stopped. GW2 failed to that end for me I didn't even reach a expansion and i don't play WoW anymore either. A poster on another forum says it best 

No, not really. Not when your IP had peaked  at 13 million active players with a subscription, in a fringe genre. Couldn't imagine a hollywood movie coming out based on any other MMO IP, other than star wars, lotro, and TES. < 2 of those came from movies/books before games, and Warcraft has managed to absolutely smash their face into the ground in the MMO market.

WoW animosity in the MMO community is pathetic. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Does this make tom chilton the Man Who Sold The World of warcraft ip?

I would disaggree. When i first saw WoW I was very happy to get it when I got it I was blown away the game was great up until cata to me thats when i stopped. GW2 failed to that end for me I didn't even reach a expansion and i don't play WoW anymore either. A poster on another forum says it best 

No, not really. Not when your IP had peaked  at 13 million active players with a subscription, in a fringe genre. Couldn't imagine a hollywood movie coming out based on any other MMO IP, other than star wars, lotro, and TES. < 2 of those came from movies/books before games, and Warcraft has managed to absolutely smash their face into the ground in the MMO market.

WoW animosity in the MMO community is pathetic. 

You didn't read my post clearly, I said I enjoyed WoW. It's not worth the post if you aren't even going to read it. In fact I'll just let this thread slide, I should of known rabid fanboyism would be inbound. Good luck to Blizzard, but I feel like they missed the boat on a good movie by a few years. Only time shall tell :D

• rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408

Blizz Developers: "We need more Pandas! We just released an expansion about them!"

Duncan Jones: "You're f***ing killing me here, guys." 

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

You can bet the farm, it will not have one characater from warcraft lore and will be like that movie dungeons and dragons with jeremy irons which you can see on this sites front page with MMOFTW video.

So many great lore characters to base the movie on and arthas story being most deep and lore rich, won't be in the film. maybe it mirrors darth vaders story to much. still more great lore they could use I get the sinking feeling it's going be something that not even in the lore and is very loosly based on some unknown characters adventures blah blah blah.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• ChuzpahChuzpah Member CommonPosts: 12
    Excellent choice of director, the Source Code movie was awesome
  • ctsturtsctsturts Member Posts: 3
    Imagine if they started from vanilla, they could easily make a movie every year for 5 years, just telling the lore of the game.  Hopefully they make it as fun to watch as LOTR. 
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Doubt it lotro movies are 2nd hard based directly on the books

Wow movie would be 4th hand, based on wow lore, which is watered down warhammer lore which is watered down elric / corum.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I'll watch it because WoW introduced me to MMORPGs.

I also want to encourage MMORPGs to become more main stream.

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

I think people are forgetting the target audience will be that of the target audience of WoW (assuming the movie is based on the WoW franchise...which is based on the Warcraft franchise).

In which case, you can expect probably a PG-13 with a lot of Tits and Ass, it will be the male version of a "chick flick".

Not to mention they'll use the 'new version' of Jaina, which is just horrible. Reminds me of those Beauty Pagents for little girls that frequently end up on the news because of how they dress the kids up.

--

Want a good movie? Blizzard take your books, the ones that read like "the blade glistened from the blood as he removed it from the guard's side". And use them as the Theme. If I wanted "Family Movies", I'd watch Disney.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478
    Will there be large yellow question marks on the ticket sellers, popcorn and coke distributors??

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

As far as a rabid movie audience, I think they should have pulled the trigger on this during the Burning Crusade/WotLK years. 

Maybe they are going to make the movie coincide with an expansion, so you continue where the movie left off.

• Jawbreaker23Jawbreaker23 Member UncommonPosts: 20

Don't confuse biggest with best. McDonalds is the worlds most popular restraunt, but it certainly doesn't make it 5 star worthy.
  • ZenoLocZenoLoc Member UncommonPosts: 71

Two words why I have no interest in this.  Wing Commander. 

Games seldom make decent movies and movies seldom make decent games.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Lets face it, it's going to be shit, just like every other game to film conversion, shameless money grab.
  • SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I really loved Moon.  It was one of the greatest surpises I've "encountered" in cinema in a while.  I'm not so sure how his talents will translate to a World of Warcraft movie, but I know that he has the imagination to make it unique at least.  If its going to be any good they'll have to leave him alone with the source material to make something of it.  There's no sense in having someone him make the movie if he's limited creatively.  With the great David Bowie and now his son you'd seem to think it runs in the family.  I hope they sneak a Dance Magic Dance kind of song in there :3.
  • FiveballFiveball Member Posts: 15
    Had they not botched the last 4 years of WoW gameplay id probably go see this.  4 yrs WoW anon member and loving life.
    Originally posted by BigCountry
    Will there be large yellow question marks on the ticket sellers, popcorn and coke distributors??

:o))

Originally posted by RefMinor
    Lets face it, it's going to be shit, just like every other game to film conversion, shameless money grab.

You're probably right, but I'm curious to see it anyway!