Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you aware of Wildman? (to the ARPGers out there)

NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Though it seems like a day doesn't go without me hearing about yet another Kickstarter project, I wasn't aware of this one. Which is odd, because it's by one of the well-known developers:

Wildman by Gas Powered Games.

Here's the Kickstar page:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gaspoweredgames/wildman-an-evolutionary-action-rpg

The game itself seems to be an Action RPG with some RTS elements. It's not doing well at the moment, but again, the fact that I hadn't heard of it at all probably shows it's not done that good a job of getting the word out there. So ARPG fans who might be interested and hasn't heard of it, I'm posting this to let you know. :)

As to how I finally heard about it, it's sort of funny. I'm subscribed to Matt Chatt on Youtube (he does a show on old school games, with some really interesting interviews with well-known developers of the classics).

Last week he did an interview with Gas Powered Games' CEO Chris Taylor, which ended up a surprisingly long, candid and emotional one. It also has some interesting stuff about game development and working with publishers, so here, I'll link the interview as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zJdMRKBbLE

I honestly hope they make it. Myself I'm not that much into ARPGs, I'm afraid, but some of the stuff Chris Taylor and co. made was good (I enjoyed Total Annihilation and Dungeon Siege), and adding some RTS elements sounds interesting, so I'm sort of on the fence right now... maybe leaning towards a small bit of support.

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's not a arpg, its more like a warcraft 3 or dow2 style game.
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It's not a arpg, its more like a warcraft 3 or dow2 style game.

Really? Oh, he kept talking about it as an "ARPG" in the interview, that's where I got it...

So if it's not an ARPG, sorry for that folks, my mistake  - and his, I guess! :)

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

So now 11 year old companies go to kickstarter to save there company. This is getting a bit ridiculous in my opinion. If after 11 years and about 10 games or so you still can not found you own games and need 1.1 million for your next game from the community you are doing it wrong. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I'm just going of an interview they did with RPS, where they talked about it being a rts/rpg hybrid, which made me think of warcraft 3 and Dow 2. It might be the other way around rpg with rts elements although I'm not sure how that would work, where as an rts where you level your hero we know quite well
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    I'm just going of an interview they did with RPS, where they talked about it being a rts/rpg hybrid, which made me think of warcraft 3 and Dow 2. It might be the other way around rpg with rts elements although I'm not sure how that would work, where as an rts where you level your hero we know quite well

Spellforce is actually an RPG with RTS element. I believe it was spellforce.

• madnagashmadnagash Member Posts: 33
    I'm all for kickstarter campaigns for promising projects BUT we are talking here about a guy who created Supreme Commander and then made a sequel called Supreme Commander 2. This sequel was so bad, that I cannot comprehend how on earth can anyone spoil a great game in such a cruel manner. After this episode I will not give his company any more money (SC1 was one of my favourite RTS games).
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Coman

So now 11 year old companies go to kickstarter to save there company. This is getting a bit ridiculous in my opinion. If after 11 years and about 10 games or so you still can not found you own games and need 1.1 million for your next game from the community you are doing it wrong. 

Heh, the funny thing is he actually does say he was doing it wrong in that interview. He seems to have developed a keen interest in "the Jobs story" and he said (and I'm sort of paraphrasing) that "You need to be able to break your foot on people's a**es", which is what he gathered Jobs had no problem doing whatsoever... Taylor seemed to me like a man conflicted between being a business man and a people-pleaser, which I'll admit I sort of symphatized. :)

The thing that took me by surprise in that interview is learning how little developers make from their games (as opposed to publishers). If how he breaks it down is true, stuff like Kickstarter may be more than a "lifesaver" for developers in the future.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558
    Originally posted by Coman

Spellforce is actually an RPG with RTS element. I believe it was spellforce.

Yes, that was definitely Spellforce.

From the description on kickstarter, it seems that it's a bit of both; with an aRPG hack and slashing for loots (with just your avatar) between matches, and the actual matches sound like they'll play out a bit more like Warcraft 3-lite (the kickstarter page doesn't describe building the army or base, just supporting your army and building defenses).