Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoE revamp F2P again

2»

Comments

• dazzydazzy Member UncommonPosts: 16

Rare and higher items will have limited availability for Free members.

If thats the case I won't be playing.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    People say  " I will support a game if it is good ". So by the level you have to pay to unlock it ,is it not yet clear to you whether the game is good and deserves your support.  So what is the problem in spending some money by then ? Or is that just an excuse to not pay at all irregardless of the whether the game is good or not you just want everything for free.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by dazzy

Rare and higher items will have limited availability for Free members.

If thats the case I won't be playing.

The sooner they get this message, the better off SoE will be. I have RL and online friends that have not come back for F2P over gear restrictions.

F2P only works as Fluff and vanity, fluff and vanity. Say it with me, Fluff and vanity. Otherwise it becomes a P2W game I.E. Gear locking.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• BeardymanBeardyman Member Posts: 50

I may actually give this game a shot now. What exactly does "Item Restriction" entail?

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Originally posted by Aviggin
    They need to get rid of the gear restrictions. I don't want to pay into a game because I have to, I want to pay into a game because I want to.

Or, "I don't want to pay at all 'cause I'm cheap."

Yet I have spent more money in Guild Wars 2 than I ever would have if it had a monthly fee. I would have spent even more if there were more things in their cash shop that I wanted to buy. I like supporting games I enjoy playing. When they force me to spend money to experience their complete game, I simply avoid the game and they don't get my money.

I thought you had to pay $60 to play gw2? Im pretty sure you don't have to pay $60 to see most of the vg content.

You have to pay a monthly fee to access the higher end gear. I refuse to be forced to pay a monthly fee to play the full game.

complelely False .. for a couple dollars youg x5 gear unlocks..

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    They need to get rid of the gear restrictions. I don't want to pay into a game because I have to, I want to pay into a game because I want to.

Sounds like the case to me :P if you like a game support it don't expect everything to be unrestricted cause people are tightwads....

Originally posted by xalis
    Not to bad but since i bounce between EQ, EQ2, PS2 and VGSOH i just went with the all access pass for the year.

Pretty much the way to go with their games, I do the all access plan as well and I find it to be a great value for my money each year for 6 MMOs full sub status :D

Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by kevjards

p.s. anyone who thinks this is a bad model is a total cheapskate.

This is 2013... being a cheapskate, having others carry you, and contributing nothing to your chosen hobby is 'cool'.

Seems to be the thing in real life as well, people carrying you , getting handouts and the such. While a group of people pay for your freebies... :P

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Anthur
    Originally posted by Mardukk

Yet I have spent more money in Guild Wars 2 than I ever would have if it had a monthly fee. I would have spent even more if there were more things in their cash shop that I wanted to buy. I like supporting games I enjoy playing. When they force me to spend money to experience their complete game, I simply avoid the game and they don't get my money.

I thought you had to pay $60 to play gw2? Im pretty sure you don't have to pay $60 to see most of the vg content.

You have to pay a monthly fee to access the higher end gear. I refuse to be forced to pay a monthly fee to play the full game.

According to their FAQ you can unlock the high end gear with "Unlock Item" potions from their marketplace. So I can't see a need to pay a monthly fee if you don't want to. Maybe I miss something....

http://www.vanguardthegame.com/faq.vm

Yep you can. People like Ice-Vortex obviously had no intentions to spend any money at all on the game. If SoE switched to a model without the unlocks, they would lose a lot of subscribers and income, which they desperately need to polish this game. To be honest the unlocks are fairly cheap, like 5 items for 3 dollars. Its unlikely you would need more than 15 unlocks in a month, and that would drop a lot once you have reached higher levels of progression.

Personally I think it is enough that they unlock all classes and races, and give you access to the general leveling gear (you wont be getting anything above blue until you hit 50+).

Locking races and classes in Vanguard and EQ2 was the dumbest thing that SoE could have done when first launching F2P. The entire attraction of these games is the diversity, which was being gated off from the start behind a pay barrier. You now get to experience the full game, and if you think its worth sticking around for end game raiding and dungeons then you can start investing in the game that you enjoy.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Beardyman

I may actually give this game a shot now. What exactly does "Item Restriction" entail?

Items above blue quality (rare) are restricted (it used to be above green, which was simply uncommon).

This means you have access to 99% of quest rewards and drops while leveling up to 55.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Beardyman

Items above blue quality (rare) are restricted (it used to be above green, which was simply uncommon).

This means you have access to 99% of quest rewards and drops while leveling up to 55.

The way I read the f2p restrictions just now is that it is not above rair items being restricted, but rare and above items being restricted.  So to me this means that rare quality items are restricted as well.  Maybe they have said something different on the forums and this is old, I don't know.  The direct quote from the fine print subnote 2 is: "Rare and higher items will have limited availability for Free members."

Edit:  And I am glad this has changed because previously there were many green items that I got from quests that I couldn't equip.  That was one of the main reasons I quit playing.  I was annoyed with completing a low level quest and not being able to equip the item because I needed an unlock.  Now I get they need to make money, but I did have a problem with not being able to equip quest items.  I read later that they were fixing that aspect, but by then I had gotten engrossed in other games.