Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$1000 Computer Taking 12+ hours to render a 6 minute video?

EvilMixEvilMix Member Posts: 251
Hey guys, so I make Youtube videos, and I just built a new computer mainly for that, just 2 or so weeks ago, but now that I've set everything up, Sony Vegas, ect. When I finish editing everything, and hit render, the Approximate time left keeps going up and up and up, and it was almost at 13 hours at one point, then when I cancelled it, it only rendered 1 second of the video. What's going on? Oh, and the percent bar just stays at 0%. Any help?

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Assuming the fans in your computer aren't going crazy, nothing is crashing, and it plays games just fine.... then I would think you either need to try different rendering software, or contact Sony for support with Vegas.

• EvilMixEvilMix Member Posts: 251
    Fans aren't being loud, CPU usage is at about 25% and physical memory is at about 11%. 
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Sounds like quality setting on effects or maybe compression are set extremely high.  Either could jack up rendering times.

Also, the app, effects or compression might be single threaded which would explain the 25% CPU.  One core maxed, the others idling.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Thanks for your suggestion, I'm using the exact same settings as my PC built in 2006, and it would atleast move to 1% on the progress, it looks like other people have this problem too, but there's no real fix that has helped me yet.

I've tried reinstalling, updating, downloading new versions, trying to render in different files, trying to render just the raw video file with no edits, color correction, commentary, ect.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Knowing more about your specs might be helpful here...

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

I made a video showing you my problem. 
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Some things to help troubleshooting:

Computer specs, CPU, RAM, HD (space and speed) and so on.

Where are you shooting the video (miniDV, DSLR camera, webcam...), what format is the input video and what format are you outputting it to.

Also, are you using any special effects?... specially at the beggining?

I'm not familiar with Sony Vegas, but I use premiere CS6 and Final Cut Pro at work, and one thing I tell you, 13 hours (or more) isn't unheard of for a 6 minutes video depending on which effects you are using. Another thing to take into account, in all the NLE software I've used the remaining time for renders is calculated based on the frames you're currently rendering, that means that if you have some very heavy effects for the first few seconds it'll assume that however long those frames take, the rest of the video will be the same, so the remaining time reflects that. Just as it went up, it might go down later.

My sugestion, see if it'll really take 13 hours, hit render and go to sleep, and check if it's done in the morning.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Hi, I know most of my PC specs, I have a SSD 220gb, i5 3570k processor, 16 gigs of ram, gtx 560 video card and a 1tb harddrive. Not exactly sure of the motherboard.

P.S. I don't do any special editing, I've tried adding my commentary, and some color correction, didn't work, I've tried not editing anything at all, and trying rendering in different formats, didn't work. I'm using an HDPVR, and it's recording in a file type called M2TS I believe.

I know some videos can take a long time to render, but I've rendered 70 videos on a PC built in 2006, I can pretty much tell how long a video should take me, and before the old one started to die, it would take 2-3 hours max.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Vegas 11 and 12 have GPU acceleration, which should help. Maybe something with that is getting hung up.

I'm pretty sure this is a software issue though, and your computer is working fine.

I've seen some posts around the internet suggesting to turn on CPU processing only from Sony Vegas 11, that didn't help either, and Sony Vegas 9 doesn't have an option for that, but it's not working either.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by EvilMix

P.S. I don't do any special editing, I've tried adding my commentary, and some color correction, didn't work, I've tried not editing anything at all, and trying rendering in different formats, didn't work. I'm using an HDPVR, and it's recording in a file type called M2TS I believe.

Does it happen only on this one video or all the videos you edit?

Are you capturing with the TME software that came with the HDPVR? If so, try switching from M2TS to MP4 and see if it converts it faster. Also, try changing the codec you are saving it to. It could be something as simply as the formats not playing nice together.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

The program I use came with the HDPVR, it's called ArcSoft Showbiz.

I tried loading another file in a different recorded format, and it prompted me to download QuickTime. Maybe this was it all along?

Well it rendered the new file, not sure what happened.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by EvilMix
    I tried loading another file in a different recorded format, and it prompted me to download QuickTime. Maybe this was it all along?

Sounds like it was a corrupt or missing codec.

If so, this link might help you out there:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Codecs-frequently-asked-questions

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

So.. I found the problem. When I record with ArcSoft in the Playstation mode, it crashes my Sony Vegas and won't show in the preview screen and won't render. Once I record in the Xbox 360 mode it renders, shows in the preview mode and doesn't crash.

At least I can render now, but everybody says the Playstation mode has better quality, I'm not sure what to do as to how to fix this.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Let it run over a night or a workday. See if it actually takes that long.

It sounds like a software issue regardless.