Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Action MMORPG's

BennuBennu Member UncommonPosts: 46
I love GW2's action combat. It's hard for me to play another game that doesn't have action combat. I tried TERA but I didn't play it very long. Are there other mmo's out there  that have action combat? I would like to research them.

Comments

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Depends on what you consider a MMO.  If you are looking for something with heavy emphasis on open world and not pure instancing (in which case there is a gamut of games for example C9, Vindictus, Dragon's Nest) like Tera/GW2 then there isn't a whole lot.  There are a few sandbox games like Darkfall Unholy Wars and Mortal Online though I wouldn't really recommend them unless you are into those sorts of games.  Planetside 2 has RPG elements, but for the most part is a FPS shooter so that's out of the equation probably. 

Don't fret though, this year and next you can expect to see a great deal of action MMORPGs.  To name a few:  Black Desert, Blade & Soul (though to a smaller extent), Cabal 2, Dragon's Prophet, Elder Scrolls Online, Epicus Incognitus, Game of Thrones, and Neverwinter.  There are more than those I listed too and a good amount of MMOFPS/TPS and even some unique ones like a MMORTS (End of Nations).

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

DDO and AOC are two that I'd consider on the edge of action combat.

There's also DC Universe Online, but it's not one I've played.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by XAPGames

DDO and AOC are two that I'd consider on the edge of action combat.

AoC? Nah. I wouldn't consider that action combat. IIRC there was no time sensitive abilities at all in that game. No active blocking or anything of the sort.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Or you can just play an online action RPG like D3 or TL2.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Give TERA another try now that it goes F2P.

If you get to 22 the game gets a lot better, giving up before that you are not seeing anything.

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

If you get to 22 the game gets a lot better, giving up before that you are not seeing anything.

If it takes until level 22 for the game to actually open up and become "a lot better" then thats kind of a major problem don't you think? I haven't played TERA but a friend of mine beta tested it and said "Great game in terms of revolutionary combat seen in an MMO, but the rest is too much like WoW and it's a been-there-done-that experience". Alas, to each his own.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Spiral Knights is very much action combat, though one could argue that it's not really an MMORPG.  Champions Online is kind of borderline as to whether it has action combat; at the very least, it has much faster paced combat than most MMORPGs.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Rukushin
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

If it takes until level 22 for the game to actually open up and become "a lot better" then thats kind of a major problem don't you think? I haven't played TERA but a friend of mine beta tested it and said "Great game in terms of revolutionary combat seen in an MMO, but the rest is too much like WoW and it's a been-there-done-that experience". Alas, to each his own.

It's because unlike GW2 there's actual class progression, by like level 10 in GW2 I had seen just about all their was to see of my class sadly.

Level 1 slayer, Level 30 slayer and level 60 slayer all feel like totally different classes.

The level 1 slayer feels clunky and slow, the level 30 slayers feels somewhat fast and moderately fluid the level 60 slayer feels extremely fast and very fluid.

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185

http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/Baraka-Lancer-vs-Elin-Lancer-Videos-inside?page=1

an issue all the way since beta, and you lot want to give tera another chance on f2p? wow

and its not just one class in there its many classes discussed

hallo ~_~

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

It's like Pivolite said.

Tera is an actual old-school MMORPG in a sense that you start out with few attacks, once you learn them and get further in the game you learn more attacks. And once the attacks start to pile up, the game requires the player to do more and more.

That's where the difficulty and speed scales up.

Granted it's an issue for Western gamers, who are spoiled by the lack of depth and progression from GW2.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Or he could play hockey, compete in MMA, or even fly an airplane. But....the OP was specifically asking about action MMORPGs. Try and stay on topic, please.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• BennuBennu Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Ty everyone for you input. I will re-download TERA and try it a little longer to see if it sparks my interest. I couldn't see much action in the videos I've seen for Neverwinter or TESO. I could be wrong because I only saw a few videos. I saw the trailer for Black Desert. Now that was the kind of action combat I like. The only challenge is I couldn't any release date for NA.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Or he could play hockey, compete in MMA, or even fly an airplane. But....the OP was specifically asking about action MMORPGs. Try and stay on topic, please.

online action RPG is close enough in playstyle to action MMOs. In fact, many are listed here with their own forums. The same cannot be said about hockey, or flying planes.