Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frame rates?

Dark_HUmarDark_HUmar Member UncommonPosts: 200
I have a GTX 680 and i7 Qcore and 8GB ram but some how a lot of games I play  that have a lot of people in the same area I get a fps of 30-40. I don't know mutch about frames and stuff but how mutch fps do you need to play a game without your eyes geting anoyed by a low fps? I play a lot of shooters at this moment like Planetside 2 and some how the moment the frames drop below 40 I start to notice? Maybe because I focus to mutch on it? So how many frames are needed? I can always put the grafix lower but I hate doing that!

Comments

• It depends. If I don't have a relatively stable framerate of about 60 FPS I get annoyed. But you can get accustomed to having lower framerates. I used to play Magic Carpet back in the day at maybe 15 frames per second and got used to it after a while.

But if your framerate is going from 40-60 I don't think there's an easy solution for it. I think you want a stable framerate at some level. If you can get the framerate to stay at 40 and play the game for a long time, without playing higher FPS games at the same time, I think you can get used to the 40 FPS.

Back before 3d accelerated graphics card it was pretty standard for FPS to have 25-30 frames and that seemed really smooth back then. But after playing Quake at 60 frames per second not so much.

• Ezraiel92Ezraiel92 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    You shouldn't be dropping to 40 frames with those specs.. Something isn't right with your software or hardware.
  • WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

I have same specs almost and getting 80+ FPS something is not right.

I am talking in PS2 all maxed and recording video 1080p res. 80 is my low point.

• Dark_HUmarDark_HUmar Member UncommonPosts: 200
    My screens are 5-6 years old, could it be those? (I am sorry I don't know mutch about hardware)
  • kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Othing I have never figured out is the human eye has a frame rate of 24. 

So why does everyone stress over not having 60 fps ?? 

• AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274
    word 
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    Originally posted by kb4blu

I can say with a straight face that even though my eyes don't process more than that, I can feel it in camera movement, or just movement in general.

I want 60 FPS so I have ZERO input to output lag. I'm sure I don't need 60 but may as well hit the max my monitor can reach if I'm able, and it's always been a safe number to never feel visual lag in.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

60FPS is stressed because it matches the refresh rate of most monitors.

If your monitor is refreshing at 60Hz, and your computer is putting out 60 frames per second, that's one frame for each refresh cycle of the monitor - which is ideal. It's also why people say more than 60FPS is a waste, because your monitor can (typically) only show one image every 1/60'th of a second, so if your computer is cranking away faster than that, those extra images just get dumped.

The eye can't really tell much difference between a 60 and a 30 Hz signal, but it can detect when a signal jumps from one to the other. The change is what gets most people, and what most people notice, not the actual framerate in the first place.

Odds are, you have every single options cranked up to max, and you don't mention what resolution your running at, but you said "monitors" so it makes me wonder.

Your only choice really is to cut down on some graphics options. This can be done intelligently, as many graphics options actually make the image look worse (Depth of Field, motion blur, etc) and are counterproductive for game play, particularly in a shooter (but they look damn sexy in a screenshot). GO through the graphics options and tinker with it for a bit. Many options, like FSAA or Texture Filtering, can be turned down from max with almost no visual difference, but can make a huge impact on game performance.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Your eyes do not snyc with the games FPS.

Its like having 2 blinkers going off they will not go off in sync so you loose frames ;)

That is why 60 is noticable to 24 and I am pretty sure it was a little higher than 24 anyhow.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Woopin

Your eyes do not snyc with the games FPS.

Its like having 2 blinkers going off they will not go off in sync so you loose frames ;)

That is why 60 is noticable to 24 and I am pretty sure it was a little higher than 24 anyhow.

Actually the human eye processes about 12-15 fps. 

However, remember that the information is processed continually so it is not processed "a frame at a time" That is why you can percieve changes that are of about 15 milli seconds duration. So having a framerate of 60fps is a good thing, it lessens the perception of flicker etc. Your perceptions probably cap out at around 120 fps.