Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: How SWTOR Can Own 2013

1234568»

Comments

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I am NOT trying to be a jerk to any of the fans who play and enjoy the game, good on you... I'm just saying the title makes me think:

"How SWTOR can OWN ...5 years ago."

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Stars Wars wont be be owning anything. Ever. A lot better MMOs are coming out this year.
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by jbombard
    Their worst of both worlds model blows.  If they wanted a sub game they should have kept it a sub game.  Strong arming people into subbing by selling them action bars, the right to wear gear or get loot etc... is just stearing people away.  If they wanted a free to play game they should have done that.  It is sad for me on so many levels.  As a huge Star Wars fan, as a previous fan of Bioware(no longer now that all the talent has left)... it is truly sad to see how poorly they are handling this game.

You're either working from old news or just what people have posted about the game because you have obviously not played for a very long time. As a preferred player now you get 6 character slots and 4 action bars , all that you had to do was spend $4.99 at any point on their website for anything. Also all those 3 things you listed can be bought off the Galactic Trade Network for next to nothing , as an example I just bought 3 extra chracter slots for all the servers for 190 k each , cheap. Plus the game is moving along at a nice pace now , even if they kept some content back for a few months in the summer.

Try the game again ? Or stop the speilberg.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• fullyweightedfullyweighted Member Posts: 1

I'm lvl 50 Guardian, yeah I know useless for the most part!! Never any recognition in PvP!! Been around since alpha, took a break for almost a year after the server population issues that dissolved so many guilds! Now I'm back in , change of pace in gaming!

THE IMPS and some of the classes are way to powerful!!! I'm Fully auged lvl 50 and get raped in PvP. Damage 5k-7k in one hit, REALLY??? Thats BS they need to revamp skills and lvls. Elite war PvP gear in ranked only,  better matches, etc.......

AND YES OTHER THAN GANG RAPED groups !!THERE IS NO OPEN PvP zones?? That anyone goes to!! Should have xp/credits/valor for kills in open world along with leader board!!!

• desdecardodesdecardo Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    If every other MMO in the world closes? And even then I doubt it. TOR is a lost cause.

People say that.  Yet it has more paid subscribers than STO and Rift.  And its free to play (if you want to play that gimped).  

Its not a lost cause.  Just came out at the wrong time where there were so many MMOS out there that gave people instant gratification and focused on the lowest common denominator of gamers.  

Sure there are better games out there.  Most are not MMOS.  Its graphics are better than any other MMO I have played.  Which is also its downfal since the game is still buggy to this day.  Frame rates are ok if you know how to set the graphics settings.  The big problems is game crashes, server latency, and stupid bugs that are created with every patch which patched a handful of bugs.  It is getting really rediculous.  If they cant make this dang game stable, its not going to own this year.

If you want a game you can face roll through to max level and not have to buy anything and are stuck in a cookie cutter, then you shouldnt play this game.  

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

It's interesting. Just picked this one up again after about a year on the dot. It does feel like a much stronger game. Made it to level 11 on a Trooper. Love the story, gameplay feels much smoother than it did. The one downside, I am getting annoyed with all the reminders of how I'm not getting full EXP and every time I open pretty much any window, there's some silly restriction EA wants me to pay to get rid of.

Look... if it was worth $15 a month, I would pay it. It's not, yet.  So why on Gods green earth would you think it's worth $5 to me just to show my helmet and display a title? Seriously, reminding me constantly to pay is only going to break my immersion and keep me from ever getting to the point where I want to pay! 

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by umcorian

It's interesting. Just picked this one up again after about a year on the dot. It does feel like a much stronger game. Made it to level 11 on a Trooper. Love the story, gameplay feels much smoother than it did. The one downside, I am getting annoyed with all the reminders of how I'm not getting full EXP and every time I open pretty much any window, there's some silly restriction EA wants me to pay to get rid of.

Look... if it was worth $15 a month, I would pay it. It's not, yet.  So why on Gods green earth would you think it's worth $5 to me just to show my helmet and display a title? Seriously, reminding me constantly to pay is only going to break my immersion and keep me from ever getting to the point where I want to pay! 

The downside to these hybrid models is that they are designed to remind you that you are gimped as a froob and have to pay for x to have full benefit. I haven't played a single F2P hybrid that is not like that. I haven't played a single F2P hybrid that is not extremely annoying in some way that doesn't make me want to pay for something, anything, to get rid of the annoyance. They are supposed to be that way. People keep complaining, but that is how these game companies make their money.

This game is really not the worst offender for immersion breaking by the way. That to me were the two Turbine MMOGs that went to the hybrid model where quests you had to pay for appeared as large gold coins above the questgiver's head, or as large red buttons on my screen that were difficult not to look at.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• jonnyfragjonnyfrag Member Posts: 110
    The only hope for a good Star Wars MMO is that with the new movies coming out that someone (not Bioware again) will make the real SWMMO. Borrowing much from SWG and maybe some from SWTOR (the production values of the VO for example) and give us what us Star Wars fans have wanted...a quality game with the proper timeline for us fan boys to appreciate.

Played: Asheron's Call(still the best fantasy MMO!), EQ1, EQ2, Vanguard, DAoC, Horizons, City of Heroes/Villians, WoW (crap), LOTORO, D&D Online, Eve, Anarchy Online, and still playing SWG daily.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by MurlockDance
    Originally posted by umcorian

The downside to these hybrid models is that they are designed to remind you that you are gimped as a froob and have to pay for x to have full benefit. I haven't played a single F2P hybrid that is not like that. I haven't played a single F2P hybrid that is not extremely annoying in some way that doesn't make me want to pay for something, anything, to get rid of the annoyance. They are supposed to be that way. People keep complaining, but that is how these game companies make their money.

This game is really not the worst offender for immersion breaking by the way. That to me were the two Turbine MMOGs that went to the hybrid model where quests you had to pay for appeared as large gold coins above the questgiver's head, or as large red buttons on my screen that were difficult not to look at.

I respect that, and awknoledge maybe it's just that this model is impalitable to me and I'm never going to pay such a model off. 

See, when I hit 11 on my Trooper, and 10 on a Sith Inquisitor, and get the reduced EXP indicators every single time I finish a quest... I get annoyed. But the worst was being shown a quest reward that I  would get if only i wasn't a crummy freeloader. I think that's sinks below gym membership salesman and settled next to street peddler. "Oh, here's a nice stash of credits for comp... oooh, I see you're not a subscriber, huh? Yeah, we're going to go ahead and keep this. But good job on the quest! *thumbs up* BTW: If you want this item, go here and pay money."

Second time that happened, I kinda took it as EA's personal message: "Invest in this game by level 10  or get out." And who am I to disrespect a man in their own house? See ya. 

• koolknebelkoolknebel Member Posts: 1
    BE SMART AND REDUCE FREE TO PLAY GAME DEDUCTIONS! SERISOULY! I was just playing in my ship and I realised that it wouldn't let me do a space battle for THE WHOLE WEEK! Then I also realised that you have to spend cartel coins (real money) TO BE ABLE TO SPRINT! It's just sad how greedy BioWare is getting! I think they should make free to play players (i'e players who don't subscribe (i'e paying monthly for in-game benefits)! AND DON'T FORGET! IF YOUR A SUBSCRIBER YOU WON'T GET REDUCED XP FOR YOUR MISSIONS!
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by koolknebel
    BE SMART AND REDUCE FREE TO PLAY GAME DEDUCTIONS! SERISOULY! I was just playing in my ship and I realised that it wouldn't let me do a space battle for THE WHOLE WEEK! Then I also realised that you have to spend cartel coins (real money) TO BE ABLE TO SPRINT! It's just sad how greedy BioWare is getting! I think they should make free to play players (i'e players who don't subscribe (i'e paying monthly for in-game benefits)! AND DON'T FORGET! IF YOUR A SUBSCRIBER YOU WON'T GET REDUCED XP FOR YOUR MISSIONS!

You get to play the entire game, from 1-50, for free.  You don't have to spend cartel coins to get sprint.  You just get it at level 1 rather than level 10 (or is it 15?).  Theres a few stupid things in the cash shop, like the extra hot bars and hiding your head gear, but the rest isn't too bad considering, again, you get almost the entire game for free.  Some people still think f2p should mean they get everything a subscriber gets without paying a cent.  I've always thought these people are the same ones that have been pirating games, movies and music for years and have gotten a sense of entitlement to get what they want for free.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Ginaz

You get to play the entire game, from 1-50, for free.  You don't have to spend cartel coins to get sprint.  You just get it at level 1 rather than level 10 (or is it 15?).  Theres a few stupid things in the cash shop, like the extra hot bars and hiding your head gear, but the rest isn't too bad considering, again, you get almost the entire game for free.  Some people still think f2p should mean they get everything a subscriber gets without paying a cent.  I've always thought these people are the same ones that have been pirating games, movies and music for years and have gotten a sense of entitlement to get what they want for free.

You are missing the context.

Subscription game released --> Game is terrible --> Mass exodus except for very casual players who also happen to love star wars and are generally undiscerning --> Game goes free to play with restrictive model --> players come back re-evaluate as terrible (2nd round of frustration) = players feel entitled to a good game and are frustrated by the incongruity of what this game should have been versus what it is.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• HreimrHreimr Member Posts: 3

This game really shines when grouping up with a good buddy while levelling up.

I've tried it with a good friend of mine, and the experience is waaaay better than just soloing it.

We even tried grouping up in WoW the same way (keeping a connection to a mumble server while playing), and even though you are on the same quests, the action sequences are hidden from the other player (he can only see the NPC's chatter) when there are speak-breaks.

My friend and I both think that Bioware has something that can really take off - but that depends heavily on them not letting the game fall.

Originally posted by Hreimr

This game really shines when grouping up with a good buddy while levelling up.

I've tried it with a good friend of mine, and the experience is waaaay better than just soloing it.

We even tried grouping up in WoW the same way (keeping a connection to a mumble server while playing), and even though you are on the same quests, the action sequences are hidden from the other player (he can only see the NPC's chatter) when there are speak-breaks.

My friend and I both think that Bioware has something that can really take off - but that depends heavily on them not letting the game fall.

NOt to be a bummer, but your post could have been dated from January of last year. A vast majority of players experiened this game in a positive light while leveling for the first time, but SWTOR has a satisfaction curve that ends abruptly.

The game is essentially the facade of an MMORPG that is designed to hold up until the later mid-levels when you are used to the game enough to look behind the curtain. 

They then have this wonderful mechanism that acts to stave off objective assessment - Hope for Big things and great changes.

They have an inept team working over there, it's not going to change much.  

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by ignore_me

Subscription game released --> Game is terrible --> Mass exodus except for very casual players who also happen to love star wars and are generally undiscerning --> Game goes free to play with restrictive model --> players come back re-evaluate as terrible (2nd round of frustration) = players feel entitled to a good game and are frustrated by the incongruity of what this game should have been versus what it is.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.  It is what it is, and its not terrible.  Most people hyped themselves up (with a lot of help from EA/Bioware) and expected it to be electric sex.  Just because it didn't meet the hype, doesn't mean its a terrible game.  They made many mistakes but the game remains fun for a lot of people.  The f2p model is probably something they should have gone with from the beginning.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Originally posted by ignore_me

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.  It is what it is, and its not terrible.  Most people hyped themselves up (with a lot of help from EA/Bioware) and expected it to be electric sex.  Just because it didn't meet the hype, doesn't mean its a terrible game.  They made many mistakes but the game remains fun for a lot of people.  The f2p model is probably something they should have gone with from the beginning.

Well by this standard there is no such thing as a terrible game: it's just not the game for 1.5 million+ unsubs. Stalin was ok except for the the things that he did. Additionally, there is no reason not to expect a high budget game with a huge IP to have been enginerred to competent levels. When you compound this by repeatedly fucking up at every turn, it's inexcusable.                                                             

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    It simply cannot, all hype has passed.  The game cannot improve on current figures.  Game over (and imo deservedly so)- it was not an mmo).  
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'd be happier if they'd hire a coder who can optimize the renderer, or at least give us settings that bring up the frame rate.

Overall, it needs to run better.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • AKA_Bigg_MojoAKA_Bigg_Mojo Member Posts: 1
    I was very much excited for this game coming out as seeing how much I loved KOTOR. It was amazing for the first few months but it go old, I was tired of having to follow a story line the whole time. I feel like if this game wanted to improve, they would have to put a lot of work into the space system, mainly open space where you can roam around (and gank people) freely. I could see that leading to massive battles in space like seen in the movies.
  • RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    b2p enough said