Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7870 how hot should it get?

AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

So I decided on the 7870 and love the card but it seems to get hot and the fans are loud.

If I run Sleeping Dogs through the benchmark on the highest setteings possible the card gets up to 90C with 87% fan speed.  According to XFX it should get up to around 86 max.  Is this a problem?  Should the fans be that loud at 87%.  I am comparing this to my old GTX 260 which I never heard.  This is the Double D with too fans that I have now.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Found this.  Possibly same card at 72 under load.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    What is the ambient temperature and do you get the same temps when your case is open and when its closed? 

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Found this.  Possibly same card at 72 under load.

That does suggest it is hot.

Originally posted by Castillle
    What is the ambient temperature and do you get the same temps when your case is open and when its closed? 

With the case open it gets to about 95C fans hitting 100%.  Ambient temp is around 71F or 21C  I should add I am running tow monitors I think that can add around 5C.  

Strange o.O It actually gets hotter with the case open? 

( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Strange o.O It actually gets hotter with the case open? 

Okay just ran again with case open (last time was a few days ago)  it was 90C. . so pretty much the same open or closed.

Oh, and 44C idle.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I have an Asus 7870. OC to 1150/1300 with a slight voltage bump.

Under full gaming load I am at 72c, even stress testing I hover around 75-77c . After hours of full on gaming in FC3 max settings I am at a steady 70-72c. And my fan speed is under 50% all the time, thats not user defined but stock fan settings.

So yeah its getting hot.

Originally posted by jdnewell

I have an Asus 7870. OC to 1150/1300 with a slight voltage bump.

Under full gaming load I am at 72c, even stress testing I hover around 75-77c . After hours of full on gaming in FC3 max settings I am at a steady 70-72c.

So yeah its getting hot.

That seems to b e consistant with the little I have been able to find.  Thanks!  I am hitting 72C playing LOTRO.

I suggest going to XFX because it might have an improper application of thermal paste o.o

( o.o)
    (")(")

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I suggest going to XFX because it might have an improper application of thermal paste o.o

I tend to agree.  Thermal grease is what I suspect first when CPUs do that.  Or dead fans, but that's not the case since yours is running.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by XAPGames

I tend to agree.  Thermal grease is what I suspect first when CPUs do that.  Or dead fans, but that's not the case since yours is running.

Thanks I will look into that.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    About 70
    Much hotter than that start worrying

Note: some older gpus ran at like 90, but newer cards wont / don't run as hot

Cpus should never get that hot, start worrying over 40 with a cpu.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Also, bit late now, but was probably worth that extra $10 for that sapphire / his / asus card.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Also, bit late now, but was probably worth that extra $10 for that sapphire / his / asus card.

Maybe.  I had not read anything bad about XFX I do like ASUS though.  I paid about $199 Canadian for the card though and it runs great.  Will likely stick with ASUS or something more familiar next time.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

For a recent desktop video card, anything under 70 C is not a problem at all, and anything under 80 C is okay so long as it's a very heavy load pushing it to that temperature and not 80 C under a moderate load that likely means much higher under a heavy load.

But 90 C is enough to be worth worrying about.  What case do you have, and what power supply?  The power supply isn't a likely culprit unless it's terrible, but a poorly-ventilated case could easily be the problem.

The Double D cards are XFX's relatively better cooler, so that really shouldn't be getting so hot.  XFX's cheap cards typically just put one fan on a somewhat adequate heatsink.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but

Your not overclocking, even in the slightest, are you?

As a side note - yes, fans are usually pretty loud at/near full speed. Most of the time, at stock clocks, the card may get hot (75-80C or so), but the fans shouldn't get anywhere near full speed. Usually, under load, you'll see a max temp of around 75, with fans around 60-70% - varying widely, of course, due to differences in installations / cases / ventilation / coolers / etc. But it's rare for a card to run at near max temp with near max fans, at least since the 480GTX debacle.

If your overclocking, though, all bets are off. If your not overclocking, at all, then something is off and you should probably see if it's still under warranty.

*edit* and as another aside, since I don't see this mentioned anywhere:

Your LOTRO temp sounds "normal". Does this only happen with Sleeping Dogs demo with every option cranked up, or do you see it with other software titles as well? You may have found an outlier case, like the old SC2 title screen, where some poorly optimized code absolutely dominates the card and sends it computing through the roof for no reason - under which case PowerTune is saving your card from a total meltdown, your video card is working fine, and you just found a crappily programmed benchmark.

This old joke applies ->
    Patient: Doc, my arm hurts when I turn it like this.
    Doc: Well, don't turn it like that.

Originally posted by Ridelynn

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but

Your not overclocking, even in the slightest, are you?

As a side note - yes, fans are usually pretty loud at/near full speed. Most of the time, at stock clocks, the card may get hot (75-80C or so), but the fans shouldn't get anywhere near full speed. Usually, under load, you'll see a max temp of around 75, with fans around 60-70% - varying widely, of course, due to differences in installations / cases / ventilation / coolers / etc. But it's rare for a card to run at near max temp with near max fans, at least since the 480GTX debacle.

If your overclocking, though, all bets are off. If your not overclocking, at all, then something is off and you should probably see if it's still under warranty.

*edit* and as another aside, since I don't see this mentioned anywhere:

Your LOTRO temp sounds "normal". Does this only happen with Sleeping Dogs demo with every option cranked up, or do you see it with other software titles as well? You may have found an outlier case, like the old SC2 title screen, where some poorly optimized code absolutely dominates the card and sends it computing through the roof for no reason - under which case PowerTune is saving your card from a total meltdown, your video card is working fine, and you just found a crappily programmed benchmark.

This old joke applies ->
    Patient: Doc, my arm hurts when I turn it like this.
    Doc: Well, don't turn it like that.

No not over clocking at all.

I contacted XFX and they said to return it.  I just got it so I contacted NCIX (where I bought it) and they are going to replace it.  Painless customer service from both.  At least I didn't toss my 260 so I can use it while the card is out.

Thanks for all the input!

Quizical:  I have a fairly generic case Lite is the brand I believe.  I got it with my Athlon X2 it is a bit old.  The power supply is newer a Fatl1ty (OCZ)  I had to upgrade it when I got my 260 which it haldled well.

Update:  I just got the new card.  ran the same tests and now I do not get over 78C. . where I was at 95 before and the fans are way quieter even ta the same %.  Great card I just got a crap one.

Thanks again for the help from everyone.