Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A new sandbox SimCity game that has my attention.

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

For all you gamers that cry foul when it comes to sandbox games. Rejoyce for a New SimCity mutiplayer game that will come out in March will give us gamers a true sandbox experience. SimCity will even have a global market.

I for one am looking forward to this game. It should replace my MMO gaming habit for a bit anyways. lol

Anyone else looking forward to SimCity?

Comments

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Isturi

For all you gamers that cry foul when it comes to sandbox games. Rejoyce for a New SimCity mutiplayer game that will come out in March will give us gamers a true sandbox experience. SimCity will even have a global market.

I for one am looking forward to this game. It should replace my MMO gaming habit for a bit anyways. lol

Anyone else looking forward to SimCity?

I haven't played simcity since I was about 13 years old image brings back good memories. Those damn natural disaters... My full mass transit cities too lo.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Originally posted by Castillle

Puppier on why he/she wont be getting Sim City

Edit : Reddit thread

EA doing what they do best.

Origins, online requirement, and usual EA shennanigans i'm afraid just ain't gonna work for me.

Supposedly the game/beta is quite a bit dumbed down compared to previous simcities, but I don't know personally.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I was going to preorder until I read about all the restrictions.

What I am most upset about is the inability to save your game, as it auto saves for you.  This takes much of the sand-box out of the game for me, and just makes it a "you're screwed if you mess up or what to have fun" simulation.  By that, I mean that I will be unable to just start random disasters for the fun of it on my perfect city (part of the "end game" for me) without completely destroying it for reals and having to start a new one.  Also, if I make one mistake I will be unable to go back to better times.

This is all based on some old information, so they may have removed these features entirely.  If that's the truth, then I might think about picking it up again.  Still don't like the always online DRM though.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Simcity is awesome! Always on DRM for a simcity game is going to cost them sales. It's sad when the only way to play a game offline singleplayer is to pirate it. Way to go EA. Now all it needs is a real money auction house.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    man, I wish MMOs could be played singleplayer. Always have to play online! that will definitely lose MMOs a lot of sales.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by TheScavenger
    man, I wish MMOs could be played singleplayer. Always have to play online! that will definitely lose MMOs a lot of sales.

You do realise Simcity is not an MMO right?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

DRM always on, no internet / no servers = no game.  Even in single player mode.

The game looks good, but I'm not very excited about it all the same.  All EA wants to do is disguise copyright protection by requiring a constant internet connection so they can throw their cashshop and DLC at their customers, constantly.  And the new Sim City is going to be heavy on cashshops, rest assured.

When the game eventually shuts down all you'll have is the original disks and your memories.  Single player game modes should always be playable as standalone games.  There should be no reason to log on unless you want to meet up with friends for multiplayer CO-OP.

EA is also known for their use of spyware via Origin, so what better way to keep tabs on people than to require them to leave their back door open.

If a patch comes out to disable the internet connection requirement, then I'll consider it.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by nilden

so its double standards?

What is different between having to play online 100% of the time in an MMO, and having to in singleplayer games? Just because its singleplayer? If someone plays MMOs, why would they care about having to be online? Unless they don't play MMOs, then this site isn't really for them. Simcity isn't really even 100% singleplayer, a lot of online interaction.

That argument only works if someone doesn't like MMOs, barely plays them (or just casually) or just never plays them. Then yeah, I would see why they would be annoyed by having to be online all the time.

Steam you have to be online all the time too, btw. There is an offline feature, but it only works if you are online to turn it on and it doesn't even work that great...and the next gen PS4 will be online forced, as well. Due to massive piracy issues with PS2 and PS3 (massive problem with it over in the asian region, not sure what state it is in NA piracy wise). And I've heard rumors that the next Xbox will be online only, since PS3 is doing it and also to prevent piracy of their console. But that is only a rumor on a leak site I go to, someone only heard what a "dev" said, so take it as a grain of salt.

Everything is going online, except the nintendo franchise. And maybe the next xbox will be the same, nothing has really been revealed about it.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    We can play at our own speed while the other cities go at their own speed while being online and connected to other peoples cities via road / rail or w/e. That's a good idea. You could also play MP by yourself too if you haven't got any friends.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• KilmaulKilmaul Member UncommonPosts: 121

If someone plays MMOs, why would they care about having to be online? Unless they don't play MMO
    Gameday bucket go boom...
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

so its double standards?

What is different between having to play online 100% of the time in an MMO, and having to in singleplayer games? Just because its singleplayer? If someone plays MMOs, why would they care about having to be online? Unless they don't play MMOs, then this site isn't really for them. Simcity isn't really even 100% singleplayer, a lot of online interaction.

That argument only works if someone doesn't like MMOs, barely plays them (or just casually) or just never plays them. Then yeah, I would see why they would be annoyed by having to be online all the time.

Steam you have to be online all the time too, btw. There is an offline feature, but it only works if you are online to turn it on and it doesn't even work that great...and the next gen PS4 will be online forced, as well. Due to massive piracy issues with PS2 and PS3 (massive problem with it over in the asian region, not sure what state it is in NA piracy wise). And I've heard rumors that the next Xbox will be online only, since PS3 is doing it and also to prevent piracy of their console. But that is only a rumor on a leak site I go to, someone only heard what a "dev" said, so take it as a grain of salt.

Everything is going online, except the nintendo franchise. And maybe the next xbox will be the same, nothing has really been revealed about it.

Pretty much this. If you're online complaining about it, then you most likely aren't going to be without internet unless there is something major going on. Can't say I am a huge fan of always on DRM, but I can also understand why so many gaming companies are moving to it.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Meh... love Simcity but cba with the tiny towns that this iteration allows from what I have seen. I do not want to share my space with others if it means I have to deal with such a tiny play area.... that's a rubbish trade off IMO.

I am sure we will see bigger maps for sale in the cash shop after launch though so I will wait for the future inevitable GOTY edition that includes all the DLC etc.

*edit* Just saw below that you can play all 4 regions on your own? That's a step in the right direction. The size will still be lacking for what I would want tho.

Originally posted by emperorwings
    We can play at our own speed while the other cities go at their own speed while being online and connected to other peoples cities via road / rail or w/e. That's a good idea. You could also play MP by yourself too if you haven't got any friends.

This is the feature that I am most excited about. I can take over an entire region myself and play with....myself (ahem). However, if down the road I want to open up my region to friends or family, I can do so. If I want to play with strangers in the region, I can also do that, but their bad decisions can affect me, which can make gameplay unpredictable and interesting.

If someone has a crime problem in their city, it can affect mine, but I can then beef up my police force and they will even help neighboring cities if they have the forces. It seems you could almost literally make a police city and help resolve crime throughout the region.

Additionally, even though the city absolute sizes are pretty small, it forces you to make decisions, which again can lead to unpredictable gaming.

The game has potential, hopefully it will deliver.

Originally posted by Vesavius

Meh... love Simcity but cba with the tiny towns that this iteration allows from what I have seen. I do not want to share my space with others if it means I have to deal with such a tiny play area.... that's a rubbish trade off IMO.

I am sure we will see bigger maps for sale in the cash shop after launch though so I will wait for the future inevitable GOTY edition that includes all the DLC etc.

You don't have to share a region with anyone if you don't want to, and you can choose to share your region with specific others as well.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Kaneth

You don't have to share a region with anyone if you don't want to, and you can choose to share your region with specific others as well.

Once fully developed space wise do the regions edges more or less meet?

Well, I can't comment on the small area. And DRM aside, because personally don't care...I play MMOs mostly, and I'm always have to play online with them.

But if they nickel and dime everyone, for big maps and stuff...I'll be kinda ticked to be honest. I hate it when MMOs do that, even more so with singleplayer games. And it very well better not have day 1 DLC...

Other than possible bad business practices (that we'll have to wait and see)...the game itself looks/sounds good. And I personally have been really wanting an online city builder of sorts, even if it isn't like an MMO...having online interaction seems like a big improvement to me, in a city builder. Its different, and guess I'll have to see how it actually works out. 

Anno 2070 actually has some online interaction, but not nearly what SimCity is going to do. But for years I've been wanting a proper city builder that has interaction with others of some kind. So that is a huge plus, at least for me.

(edit)

That is good you don't have to share your region, if you don't want to. That is a good bonus, not being forced to do that. Most of my cities would probably be bad anyway :P

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298
    EA/Origin = No thanks.  I decided long ago to never give EA money because of the damage it is causing the gaming industry.
    Originally posted by Kaneth

Once fully developed space wise do the regions edges more or less meet?

That I am not sure of. I believe that regions exist on their own, and I haven't seen what the size of the regions are. However, I do know that regardless of how you play, because it's always online, the global "market" will always affect your city/region. Additionally, even playing solo you can see how you rank around the world, etc.

Good question actually, gives me something to look up and read about while sitting at work tonight :)