Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I decided to try out LOTRO the other day but why must I download 16.9GB of data when the game is hig

13»

Comments

• bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by DancingQueen
    Originally posted by versulas

More like OP came, we were all rude to OP and then OP were rude back (what a surprise) and I can't find any 600MB client so Turbine must have hidden it well but I don't care about this game anymore, I will play TERA and have fun tonight.

=/

Tera's system req. page says you need 25GB free for the download (not counting the unpacking/install)... Probably more now. As you've likely learned already (unless you're trolling ofc), games pack a bit more oomph these days. Hell, back in 2008, I remember downloading 30+GB for AoC w/o any patches/expansions, so the LOTRO package is actually a pretty good deal.

Some comparisons (though, admittedly, it could change depending on method of download/compression): The Secret World: 33GB client, SWTOR: 27GB client, GW2: ~25GB client.

As worlds get bigger, graphics get better, and expectations rise, your ISP cap will become more and more unreasonable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

I do see where the OP is coming from.

I recently returned to LOTRO and the download was annoying.  16gigs is alot.  I am also on a data cap, though far more lenient at 125 gigs a month.  Of course I had characters in Moria so needed all the data.  But someone trying for the first time can be put off with a 16gig download just to try the game out.

Most other decent MMO's are going to a lighter client.  WoW started it, and Rift does it as well.  Rift allows you to play up to level 20 free.  To download the game, you just do a pre-download of like 1 or 2 gigs, which is starting content, and the rest downloads as you play.  But you get a pretty good idea of the game in the early levels and decide if you want to keep playing, before the game fully downloads.

Hell even Pirates online, a sub-AAA game downloads content as you need it.

LOTRO has gone to a new distrubution method, which does the preload of a gig or so and then lets you play.  However, you can't log into the game if your not actively downloading in the background, and the service fucking blows and half the time wont even connect.  So you are forced to download via steam or the original pando media booster download.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    i also returned playing lotro eventho years back i bought all the boxes and after codemaster sold the whole **** to turbine and i was playing some other games and didnt make required account transfers my old account with original box and 2 expansions were wiped out and i needed to buy them again. so now i returned once again and only to notice and huge dissapointment that they have nerfed the graphics really badly eventho with ultra high settings on everyhting it looks bad. and i actually saw one website some guy was writing with this issue back in 2011 and i see the same issues still around so turbne have no intrests repairing engine or making any changes. guess lower overall graphics " forced " is to gather more low spec comp owners to try and play a game and even spend money to buy one cape from cash shop.. as a huge fan of middle earth the only thing keeping me occupied for awhile again with this game is story invented by mr tolkien ruined by mr turbine. ( sad face )
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    You can enter every area in game. Even those expansions you dont own

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

my problem wasnt entering the area , i need to activate the quests with turbine points and my main problem was overall graphic nerf. 

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by m0lly

my problem wasnt entering the area , i need to activate the quests with turbine points and my main problem was overall graphic nerf. 

Sounds like you installed the low-res version of the game. You don't need to pay or have a subscription to download and install the high-res version.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by AvsRock21

Sounds like you installed the low-res version of the game. You don't need to pay or have a subscription to download and install the high-res version.

Yeah sounds like Low Res installation.

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104

I have a wireless internet connection with a monthly limit of 20GB though I can buy extra in 1GB and 10GB increments but why am I forced to download all of the content when I don't have access to it?

Not a smart move by Turbine and needless to say I quickly cancelled my download of the game.

I hope that Turbine wise up in the near future and only prompts to download the content that the free player has access to and not all the friggin 16.9GB.

The free content is probably 16.9 gig by now. It's a massive game even for f2p.

This is just not true i'm afraid. Graphics, textures etc.... are better than at launch and new npc and mob models have improved especially since Rohan. The only thing that hasn't change a whole lot (unfortunately) is the PC models.

I was in Bree earlier, the influx if refugees from Rohan looks amazing and the models for the Rohirrim are excellent. Colours have improved as well. In fact for a 5 year old game this looks as good as anything out there, and a thousand times better than SWtoR.

Originally posted by AvsRock21

This.

• CillasiCillasi Member UncommonPosts: 335

Look for the Mines of Moria (complete edition).  You can probably pick it up in a bargain bin at your local software store for between $10-$20.  You'll get a month of free play and when the month is up, you'll revert to a PREMIUM player, instead of a free player.  Because you had MoM, you'll retain access to the special MoM classes, have 5 character slots (instead of 2), 5 gold cap (instead of 2) and 5 Auction House slots (some things are from MoM and others from Premium status). 

Otherwise, don't worry about the rest of the expansions for now.  LOTRO expansions are very linear.  The base game takes you up to Level 50.  MoM is for Levels 50-60, but the perks from it are worth the investment.  I don't think you need worry about the rest of them until you reach level 50 at least. 

• CillasiCillasi Member UncommonPosts: 335
    i also returned playing lotro eventho years back i bought all the boxes and after codemaster sold the whole **** to turbine and i was playing some other games and didnt make required account transfers my old account with original box and 2 expansions were wiped out and i needed to buy them again. so now i returned once again and only to notice and huge dissapointment that they have nerfed the graphics really badly eventho with ultra high settings on everyhting it looks bad. and i actually saw one website some guy was writing with this issue back in 2011 and i see the same issues still around so turbne have no intrests repairing engine or making any changes. guess lower overall graphics " forced " is to gather more low spec comp owners to try and play a game and even spend money to buy one cape from cash shop.. as a huge fan of middle earth the only thing keeping me occupied for awhile again with this game is story invented by mr tolkien ruined by mr turbine. ( sad face )

I haven't played LOTRO for a while, but I just reinstalled my MoM disks and logged on with my old account information.  Truthfully, I don't remember who had it (Turbine or Codemasters) when I last played.  Have you contacted anyone about it?

• Darkarai79Darkarai79 Member Posts: 39
    or you can pay the 199$ lifetime membership and have access for as long as the game is stil up. buying all the xpacs and any content u want would eventually add up to that anyways. the game is worth paying for. Ive been playing it since launch and havnt gotten bored yet. But that is my opinion. The free play is also not boring, my cousin played with me on a free account and he wasnt really locked to much, he oinly got mad when we ran into some quests he couldn't do but they are nothign of great importance. He kept up with me in the lvls and gear just fine as a free player.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Darkarai79
    or you can pay the 199$ lifetime membership and have access for as long as the game is stil up. buying all the xpacs and any content u want would eventually add up to that anyways. the game is worth paying for. Ive been playing it since launch and havnt gotten bored yet. But that is my opinion. The free play is also not boring, my cousin played with me on a free account and he wasnt really locked to much, he oinly got mad when we ran into some quests he couldn't do but they are nothign of great importance. He kept up with me in the lvls and gear just fine as a free player.

Keep an eye out for the Steam 3 pack also.  It goes on sale every once in awhile for $19.99.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/213178/