Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2 way I saw it

DireLionDireLion Member Posts: 9

Must say I was taken back. Since I play BF3 it was easy to get into and understand.  The vastness of how big the world was worth a wow or two and yes you could see the huge smile on my face.  One thing wasnt so great was my labtop graphics. Labtop is about a year old and I found Med at 1024x768 low shadows did the job. 

Game play was fun and I kept trying to get air like Tribes 2. I was sad I couldnt fly right away or drive the big Tanks ect... but it gives me something to look forward to. Great thing as a noob was being able to get into a gun ship or tank as a gunner, this made up for my need to fly right away and gave me patience. Still dont know why I picked the  Vanu Sovereignty, Im thinking RipperX helped on this.  Thank you and I'll see you in the game.    DireLion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aQgC11M_ug&feature=player_embedded

“Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve regardless of how many times you may have failed in the past or how lofty your aims and hopes may be.”
-Napoleon Hill-

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i enjoyed my time in PS2 with some friends. I havent played in a while but i i have fun whenever i log in. One thing is for certain. If it was Third Person Shooter i would still be playing constantly. I love Battlefield 3 but im not much of a fan of First Person perspective. I havent played BF3 either since around the time they released the premium service. The massive scale of PS2 should become standard in shooters IMO, but just because of the FPS view in PS2 i would personally stick to Firefall and Defiance.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

huh? why couldn't you fly or use a tank right away?

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• stygianapothstygianapoth Member UncommonPosts: 185
    garbage game, quit within the first week (coincidentally just like gw2). offers no incentive to play. just a big kill fest that amounts to nothing.
  • rygar218rygar218 Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Originally posted by stygianapoth
    garbage game, quit within the first week (coincidentally just like gw2). offers no incentive to play. just a big kill fest that amounts to nothing.

If you need an incentive to play then your playing games for a wrong reason man. You play for fun don't you? *Shrug* I dunno, I understand there are a lot of games that are out there that arent for certain types of players. But, saying you don't like a game cause of incentives... doesn't that make a game for fun a game for work instead? Anyway to each his own.

• birkenbirken Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by rygar218

If you need an incentive to play then your playing games for a wrong reason man. You play for fun don't you? *Shrug* I dunno, I understand there are a lot of games that are out there that arent for certain types of players. But, saying you don't like a game cause of incentives... doesn't that make a game for fun a game for work instead? Anyway to each his own.

I played this game for 20 mins and quit. Hacks and bugs plus just a cheap halo. I cant believe people even play it.  Well that is  me.

• rygar218rygar218 Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Originally posted by birken

I played this game for 20 mins and quit. Hacks and bugs plus just a cheap halo. I cant believe people even play it.  Well that is  me.

Well thats a different reason for not playing. I myself never played it

• DireLionDireLion Member Posts: 9
    Since I wrote the post  I figured out how to Fly and yes out of the gate ..Woot! ...Very coolimage

“Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve regardless of how many times you may have failed in the past or how lofty your aims and hopes may be.”
    -Napoleon Hill-

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

if Halo had the size and scale of PS2 i would play Halo instead since its a lot more polished, but  to me Halo its just a small team deathmatch game like counter strike with sci fi skin that also happens to be popular. Im spoiled with big maps so i stopped playing shooters with small maps after BF3 came out.

But like i said in an above post, i prefer Third person shooters over First person shooters.

But yeah, to each his own.

• DireLionDireLion Member Posts: 9
    Bf3 Armor Kill has has a few maps that are Crazy big.  I do see what your talking about  with the 3rd per . More options the game has the better.image  ( Just signed up for ESO Betaimage)

-Napoleon Hill-

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    i enjoyed my time in PS2 with some friends. I havent played in a while but i i have fun whenever i log in. One thing is for certain. If it was Third Person Shooter i would still be playing constantly. I love Battlefield 3 but im not much of a fan of First Person perspective. I havent played BF3 either since around the time they released the premium service. The massive scale of PS2 should become standard in shooters IMO, but just because of the FPS view in PS2 i would personally stick to Firefall and Defiance.

dont know much about defiance.  but firefall isnt massive scale, it has pvp minigames wow styleee.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

the wow conditioning is a terrible thing to try and break

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

That is exactly it, there is no fun anymore, its all about aquiring things, or its a "waste of time".

When there is a ton of stuff to aquire in PS2, but its so fun to play I hardly notice that I am "grinding'.

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Originally posted by Adalwulff
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

That is exactly it, there is no fun anymore, its all about aquiring things, or its a "waste of time".

When there is a ton of stuff to aquire in PS2, but its so fun to play I hardly notice that I am "grinding'.

Yeah and the great thing about Ps2 is you dont have to aquire something via the cash shop to effective, they give you decient guns to begin with, of course you may have a different play style to the weapons you start with but thats personal requirement. I dont even notice the cert gains im too busy (having fun) shooting people in the face, then 2 hrs and oh look i got certs to spend.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179

just a cheap halo. 

Thanks for the laugh.  

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122

Amen.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by ikarrian

Amen.

What were you guys hoping it would "amount" to?   What does killing all the NPC mobs or raid bosses in WoW or any other MMO amount to?    

I play with some friends, and it simply amounts to lots of fun for us.   We don't have to grind for levels or gear to play together, or fight the matchmaking system breaking up our party like on BF3, we simply login and send squad invites.   Then we go have fun.    

What exactly is everyone looking for MMO's to amount to their in lives that I'm missing?    

If Cowboys and Indians had a forum when I was a kid I guess everyone would be on there complaining there was no incentive to play and it didn't amount to anything.....   /shrug

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Just spent a couple days playing PS2. Now I know why I play Dust514. PS2 is horrible comparatively!
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482

Played for a month as payed member got fed up with the game being buggy and getting  choppy after a while.  No 64 bit client and still only directx 9. The cheating on the server I was on got worse and that was the people who made it obvious they where cheating let alone the sneaky ones.

Hopefully SOE are working on these issues and I will probrably go back when they sort this out, until then i'm keeping hold of my money and will use the FTP to pop in and see how this game is progressing.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

lol most of these alleged 'hacks' are lack of skill on the person that is crying about it.  There are very few hacks in PS2, they are there but nearly as bad as many other games I have seen.

The game is fun, and once you enderstand it, it get to be a great time.

Also, join an outfit this is not a solo game and you will usually end up not doing much without help.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by Threatlevel0
    Originally posted by ikarrian

Amen.

What were you guys hoping it would "amount" to?   What does killing all the NPC mobs or raid bosses in WoW or any other MMO amount to?    

I play with some friends, and it simply amounts to lots of fun for us.   We don't have to grind for levels or gear to play together, or fight the matchmaking system breaking up our party like on BF3, we simply login and send squad invites.   Then we go have fun.    

What exactly is everyone looking for MMO's to amount to their in lives that I'm missing?    

If Cowboys and Indians had a forum when I was a kid I guess everyone would be on there complaining there was no incentive to play and it didn't amount to anything.....   /shrug

Don't sweat it dude, most of the people crying tried it solo and realized right away they weren't any good, then /ragequit and came here to slam the game.  They don't get it and that is fine.  There are plenty of solo, no team work required, games out there for them.  PS is better off without these types of players.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by xpowderx
    Just spent a couple days playing PS2. Now I know why I plau Dust514. PS2 is horrible comparatively!

anyone who compares PS2 to Dust 514, its a tad strange, as Dust is a small map limited, as in extremely limited, numbers of players, with questionable gameplay options, versus a large map  and extremely large numbers of players, not to mention vehicle options, both ground and air, but i guess in Eve you can bomb Dust 514 from orbit.. which is probably about all its good for.. so good luck persuading anyone that Dust 514 is in any way or form superior to Planetside 2, even planetside 1 with its dated graphics is far and away a superior game.image

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I think the  mistake most people do is they see the word FPS and jump in thinking they can go rambo all the way.

PS2 is all about teamwork. Sure you can zerg your way to a decent life but it will not be fun. So if you are a lone wolf you will not like the game. You pretty much HAVE to get in with a crew or a unit and run with them. That is when the game get to be fun and when you get the most rewards form it.

Just like PS1... Funny how that work.

This is not a game for the people who like Halo/GoW/CoD/Unreal.

But since it is free to play i do not think it will go the way of PS1.

This have been a good conversation

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by tawess

I think the  mistake most people do is they see the word FPS and jump in thinking they can go rambo all the way.

PS2 is all about teamwork. Sure you can zerg your way to a decent life but it will not be fun. So if you are a lone wolf you will not like the game. You pretty much HAVE to get in with a crew or a unit and run with them. That is when the game get to be fun and when you get the most rewards form it.

Just like PS1... Funny how that work.

This is not a game for the people who like Halo/GoW/CoD/Unreal.

But since it is free to play i do not think it will go the way of PS1.

True enough, while i have my 'issues' with PS2, as a successor to PS1, its missing quite a few things that were in the first one for one thing, and the individual classes have far less functionality, the game is a hell of a lot more fun if you are in an active outfit, i dont know what the in game voice is like as the Outfit im in uses teamspeak, but its a game that thrives on teamwork, this is not a game for billy no mates. image

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by xpowderx
    Just spent a couple days playing PS2. Now I know why I plau Dust514. PS2 is horrible comparatively!

anyone who compares PS2 to Dust 514, its a tad strange, as Dust is a small map limited, as in extremely limited, numbers of players, with questionable gameplay options, versus a large map  and extremely large numbers of players, not to mention vehicle options, both ground and air, but i guess in Eve you can bomb Dust 514 from orbit.. which is probably about all its good for.. so good luck persuading anyone that Dust 514 is in any way or form superior to Planetside 2, even planetside 1 with its dated graphics is far and away a superior game.image

Dust has better training perks one. Dust is never empty two. Much more action! Besides Dust514 has very few bugs if any. It is also non hackable unlike most of the cheesy PC MMOFPS. In June EVE corps can hire out Dust corps to take over or manage particular planets. Also Dust players are connected to the EVE server so can talk to EVE corps directly. As well as bring plans into form. Unlike PS2!  Dust goes far and above PS2. Not even close.

Glad I have a station pass, can play EQII and Vanguard! PS2 is a waste of time :-D

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

My problem with PS2, as a two year PS1 vet, is that it doesn't even deserve to be named PS2.

Other than copying and pasting a few names from PS1 it's 100%, absolutely and completely a different game.