Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I start this game?

BACONXBACONX Member UncommonPosts: 253

I'm bored and I want to play this game based on all the potential it used to have. I did vanguard at release and was unable to play it due to bugs/lag. But now, time has passed and I'm willing to give it a try. My only issue is- will there be enough players on Telon (Eastern time)to make it feel like an MMO. I guess I'm asking if it is a graveyard of a game, especially for new begginers? Thanks.

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    YES! Still the best PvE game on the market. 
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Hehe but then you also believe as you put it "Darkfalls success mirrors Eve's." (one has less then 5k subscribers and has to be remade, the other has over 100K and is constantly growing.)

To the Op instead of listening to people you don't know that may well give you bad advice try the game for yourself worst thing can happen is you waste the time to download it and try it.

• BACONXBACONX Member UncommonPosts: 253

Oh I know. Free games are real easy to jump into. I just like get an idea from people out there, not as a final answer but as another set of "opinionated" eyes. I just get hesitant to download older games. Not becasue I'm afraid I'll like it but because it will be missing what I feel is essential to good MMO play- enough people to interact with. Tough when you like a game but no one is playing it.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by winter

Hehe but then you also believe as you put it "Darkfalls success mirrors Eve's." (one has less then 5k subscribers and has to be remade, the other has over 100K and is constantly growing.)

To the Op instead of listening to people you don't know that may well give you bad advice try the game for yourself worst thing can happen is you waste the time to download it and try it.

Pure words of wisdom

• DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197
    If you can get by the horrid models and animation its actually a solid game.  Still the best game world out there imo.

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360
    I play on EST, well sometimes I"m on later than the average EST'er.  However, I've had pretty good luck in finding groups to do my quests.  I have about 4 or 5 characters I've rolled into the 20s in the past few weeks.  Some nights are better than others.  However, the population is much higher than why I tried it a couple years ago.  Back then I was the only person in the Qalia 10-20 zones.  I tried a couple nights of playing and never saw another soul running around.  That was before the server merges.  Now I'm constanting seeing people run around and ask for groups.  It's still a little low on the population, but it is better than it was before.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Eve was at that same point when it launched too. Eve started small and grew. Darkfall started small, and has been steadily growing. The fact that you don't believe it doesn't make it any less true.

• Kenshin_HimuraKenshin_Himura Member Posts: 75

I tried this game twice and uninstalled it after 10 minutes gameplay twice for the same reason which I had forget the 1st time which is combat.

The combat in this game is one of the worst I've seen in my 11 years of gaming online, it's laggy and feels like you're always hitting air or nothing at all.

If you dont mind combat then you'll have fun, personally I put a lot of impotance in combat.

• birkenbirken Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Kenshin_Himura

I tried this game twice and uninstalled it after 10 minutes gameplay twice for the same reason which I had forget the 1st time which is combat.

The combat in this game is one of the worst I've seen in my 11 years of gaming online, it's laggy and feels like you're always hitting air or nothing at all.

If you dont mind combat then you'll have fun, personally I put a lot of impotance in combat.

Your computer must suck. My game play is smooth. Only time it is alittle laggy is in big city with alot of people or zoneing which take 3 sec. It is a great game best mmorpg out there hand down. This game has made a huge come back. There are alot more playing play now then there have been in last couple years.  The graphics are great and content is huge. I enjoy this game every time i log on so come join us.

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814
    I have wondered about this game for a while. Was a bit put off by some continuing negativity. But I'm glad I took the plunge. Most underrated MMO I've played. I don't even think the graphics are that bad. I like the world very much. It feels real, unlike most MMOs and their linear, claustrophobic areas.
  • DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197
    Originally posted by birken
    Originally posted by Kenshin_Himura

Your computer must suck. My game play is smooth. Only time it is alittle laggy is in big city with alot of people or zoneing which take 3 sec. It is a great game best mmorpg out there hand down. This game has made a huge come back. There are alot more playing play now then there have been in last couple years.  The graphics are great and content is huge. I enjoy this game every time i log on so come join us.

Dont think he meant the lag or fps problems.  The combat itself is lackluster because of the terrible animations.  Alot of times things will die and still be standing as your dudes whiffs by with his weapon.  It seriously looks like your character has never used a sword before lol.  Theres no visceral oomph, just a wet noodle slap.  All in all I like the game, but those animations..bah.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

problem is, some people not only have to waste time downloading it, but they have to delete stuff that may have beem more valued than vanguard if it didnt turn out well.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

problem is, some people not only have to waste time downloading it, but they have to delete stuff that may have beem more valued than vanguard if it didnt turn out well.

Yeah , basically if you have a gaming pc with 1 gig memory you just should give up gaming altogher, seriously. It's 2013, if this were 2007 i could see that being a valid arguement.  It a game that requires time and patience, as well as being socialible. Sure you could probably solo most fo the stuff , but the real meat of the game is in group play. Getting to 55 isn't the end of the game , there's crafting and diplo card game , that's actually fun once you get the hang of it, it even gets mundane. Enjoy it if you try it. If you comp doesn't meet min spec , well stay away. 

• dave5698225dave5698225 Member Posts: 14

As a player of many different MMORPG's for years I would definitely recommend at least playing until level 20. Its not going to cost you anything but time and bandwidth and you wil be able to get your own opinion. I've been playing for a few days now via the updated F2P model and I must say I am starting to become engrossed in this game, much more so than my mid-level characters sitting idle in Guild Wars 2 at the moment.

However, even though I try to always put gameplay before graphics - this game looked very dated when I first installed it. For all new players, I highly suggest you visit http://www.vginterface.com/ and download a custom interface that will add much-needed polish to the UI. I installed Tbird Drox Compilation 2.9.3b (http://www.vginterface.com/downloads/info218-Tbird_Drox_Compilation.html) with the small Hot Bar fix (http://www.vginterface.com/downloads/info251-TbirdDroxUIHotBarFixv2.9.html). The UI now looks modern at a high resolution and the highly configurable screen elements options are amazing.

Then I installed a universal shaders tweaker called SweetFX (http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/sweetfx_shader_suite_download.html) that is compatible with most DX9, 10 and 11 games. It allows you to add post-processing effects such as AA, color saturation, vignette and other graphic tweaks. Its incredibly easy to install (just unzip into the same directory as the Vanguard executable file) and edit the graphic option settings in the supplied text file. The best thing is that you can alt-tab out of the game, change a graphic setting in the text file and then alt-tab back in to see your change immediately.

I set the options in the Vaguard video settings (turned off occulation as that made my nearby vegetation disappear, no bloom or HDR as I use SweetFX for that, textures on medium as I could see litle difference between medium and ultra, bumped down the fuzziness of objects in the distance to 60%, all other settings maxed) and then jumped into the SweetFX ini file and added AA, bumped up the saturation, added a vignette effect and played with some of the advanced contrast settings). This game now looks so much better now and I find myself engrossed in the gameplay insted of being distracted by the screen elements. One thing I could not change is the large text nameplates that floats over the NPCs and mobs so I just turned off the display of all names.

So please try the above and give Vanguard a go! I originally installed the game as I was looking for something with more in-depth crafting. But since playing I have been very happy with all other aspects of Vanguard. There seems to be an influx of new players - there were a handful running around with me at the starter town and the town chat was quite active as well. FYI - I'm running on a "mid-end" PC (quad core AMD 965, ATI 5770 1GB, 8 GB RAM, Win 7 x64) and this game runs buttery smooth with an averge FPS of 40.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Deddpool
    If you can get by the horrid models and animation its actually a solid game.  Still the best game world out there imo.

Yeah, that was my problem with the game too... swaying trees are neat, but ugly swaying trees are ugly.  There's a real inconsistancy between the quality of a lot of the terrain and static models with the animated models which are just sort of low-budget cartoony.

• picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256

Thanks for the links dave. SweetFX doesn't work for me (installed in the bin folder where I have my VGClient.exe). Whenever I uncomment *any* of the lines in SweetFX_settings.txt it falls back to launcher (on trying to start the game) or crash (if already running). No suspicious text in log.log file. This behavior is independent from my current nvidia settings. AA from nvidia alone works (don't like it though, renders text in the chat box blurry). Did I miss something? I'm running DX11 on Windows 7.

Edit: Now I got something in log.log:

full path: C:SpieleVanguardin
    redirecting CreateDevice
    initialising shader environment
    D3DXCreateEffectFromFile failed
    SweetFX_preset.txt(1,1): error X3000: unrecognized identifier 'include'

Any ideas?

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

I have recently returned after nearly a 2-year absence and I am really enjoying Vanguard again.  It took awhile to relearn my level 55 characters as this game is so much more deep and complex than anything else.  Heck, it even took me a good 10 minutes to figure out how to fish at the river behind my house.

I am also having a really good time leveling an alt.  To the question about population, the population is amazingly good.  I've been returning to a lot of the areas where I originally leveled my first character 5-6 years ago and have been blown away by the number of players in all these areas (Renton, Blighted Lands, Silverlake, etc.).  Region chat is a constant scroll of discussion, helpful tid-bits and cooperation).

So yes, now is a great time to jump into the game and see if it's for you.