Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So all the hype over sexism in gaming, what about racism?

HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

I am an African American gamer and male, and while I support the move for more gender equality in online gaming.   The problem isnt just sexism, or harrassing comments made by deprived morons, its gamers hiding behind the false mask of security the internet grants these people.    

You can look up hundreds of videos of raging men, boys, and kids, who the first thing they scream at the top of their lungs that who ever is a n****r, or some other racial slur.    And it isnt just blacks, its asians, hispanics, or anyone who isnt "white".    Its almost like the internet is becoming a haven for the hate groups that couldnt find a leg to stand on in the real world.     I have heard less racial slurs while talking with pro KKK activist.

This is another issue that is sitting in the background that needs to stop.  

So much crap, so little quality.

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah you should see what its like as black English player on eu servers with some of the grief you get from eastern European types (and some westerners too)

I had a black character in wow, the greif I got. Just gave up in the end and played a orc instead.

Then theres a whole issue of somewhat questionable ideas within games themselves such as the "noble savage" shtick of farcry 3.

Finally why does fantasy = everyone is white. It's a fantasy world, hell people could be blue skinned, nether mind black. There's the odd exception in books like ursula le guin, Michael moorcock and Neil gaiman that use black characters. But the only fantasy games I can think of with a real black race are the elder scrolls series.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Hodo

Completely agree. So many horrible, hateful people out there.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Unless somebody plans on censoring the internet, it's not going to stop.

I know it's terrible but that's the price we pay for freedom.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by dave6660

Unless somebody plans on censoring the internet, it's not going to stop.

I know it's terrible but that's the price we pay for freedom.

I agree.

I know it sad to say but online pedophillia is more of a worry and you will never see the end of that. What chance has racism or sexism got?

Like mentioned previously, Just ignore it.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    I'm more concerned about loot ninjas than the words people use in a chat window. It effects my game experience more.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    All you can do is reoort them in game. You can't censor the internet without infringing on the freedom of speech. I report these morons all the time. Some games act quick to. In SWTOR I have seen them drop from general chat within minutes.
  • QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Without trying to sound like a douche.  I think you should be glad it is not a lot worse.  This is the internet after all.  There are no rules; I'm pleasantly suprised it isnt as wide spread as what you would think it would be. Whenever I here the "N" word used, it generally isn't in the context directed as an insult to a race of people, but more of just a swear word.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by dumpcat
    All you can do is reoort them in game. You can't censor the internet without infringing on the freedom of speech. I report these morons all the time. Some games act quick to. In SWTOR I have seen them drop from general chat within minutes.

I doubt it. Most likely they have moved on to another zone. EA are not in a position to ban people that are still playing that game. But, keep up the good fight!

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I am an African American gamer and male, and while I support the move for more gender equality in online gaming.   The problem isnt just sexism, or harrassing comments made by deprived morons, its gamers hiding behind the false mask of security the internet grants these people.    

You can look up hundreds of videos of raging men, boys, and kids, who the first thing they scream at the top of their lungs that who ever is a n****r, or some other racial slur.    And it isnt just blacks, its asians, hispanics, or anyone who isnt "white".    Its almost like the internet is becoming a haven for the hate groups that couldnt find a leg to stand on in the real world.     I have heard less racial slurs while talking with pro KKK activist.

Damn whities.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Race card being used in mmorpgs now?...... been called a honky a few times in games. So its not a white only thing as OP said!!!! That alone is a racist remark.

Do the mature thing......

!) Ignore them

2) Turn your chat filter back ON

3) Dont apy attention to global chat, mostly asshats there anyways

4) be respectful even if others are not, its the right thing to do.

5) take a time out and go to another game or real life event

6) teach someone the truth instead of getting mad about it

Personaly i hate racists and sexist in real life, but in game i care less. We play mmorpgs to get away from real life garbage and be free and let it all out.

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223

I agree that racism is rampant, but I think sexism is far more seen and heard in the gaming community. I mean for awhile we were pretty much not accepted and were thought of as myths and legends. I do have to say though, I do not get offended by sexism. I hope that one day the gaming community will clean up, but without some kind of freedom breaching act (like taking away the right to be anonymous on the internet) I do not see it happening. 

Now if racism is what you seek to fix in gaming I would suggest making some kind of a community around it. Girl gamers have several communities that are exclusive to woman so that we can be strong in a group and know we have people in the same situation as us. I am not sure if there is an african/african-american gaming group out there, so this may be an oppurtunity for growth. The best way to fix a problem is to show people that there is a problem.

I just hope one day I can get on a game and have someone know I am a girl and not respond by either degrading/attacking me because of my gender, shunning me out of fear, or offering me free stuff to get something. God forbid the asking for nude/boob pic comments I get on a daily basis. Some people can just be jerks, so always have your guard up and never bring yourself down to their level. I wish you luck if you are persuing improving the racism epidemic image

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Just embrace it brother. I let there hateful remarks fuel me and then I destroy them at there own game. Not much they can say after that. If they continue either way I know I am better then they are as a person and as a gamer. If we let stupid remarks put us down we wouldn't be where we are right now as a racial group. 

The same thing could be said for woman and any other racial group. Beat them at there own game. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah but its not quite the same thing, at least half my friends are white, I wouldn't want to belong to some black only guild.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Onomas

Personaly i hate racists and sexist in real life, but in game i care less. We play mmorpgs to get away from real life garbage and be free and let it all out.

The racism bothers me a lot, primarily because it's simply uncalled for. It is almost always someone trying to rile up someone else and there's no need for that at all. There are plenty of far more creative and far less insensitive ways to cause trouble than shouting racial slurs.

There's also the other side of the coin as well, which is the prolific use of the N word by black players combined with the double standard of who is allowed to use it. Now, to put this in context, I'm talking about games with voice chat and the use of it as a neutral term.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Yeah you should see what its like as black English player on eu servers with some of the grief you get from eastern European types (and some westerners too)

I had a black character in wow, the greif I got. Just gave up in the end and played a orc instead.

Then theres a whole issue of somewhat questionable ideas within games themselves such as the "noble savage" shtick of farcry 3.

Finally why does fantasy = everyone is white. It's a fantasy world, hell people could be blue skinned, nether mind black. There's the odd exception in books like ursula le guin, Michael moorcock and Neil gaiman that use black characters. But the only fantasy games I can think of with a real black race are the elder scrolls series.

As an off topic, in Guild Wars there are three campaigns you can buy and play separatedly (each can be considered an independent game). Prophecies is set in Kryta (where GW2 is set as well) and has the regular semi-medieval european setting most fantasy is based on, Factions is set in Cantha, that has an oriental theme to it, and Nightfall, set in Elona, based mostly in Africa. When you create a character you first select on which campaign you'll start, and the character creation options change depending on it, so you can mostly create white characters (of course, you can give them darker skin, but the face factions remain caucasian) when playing prophecies, asian looking ones in Factions, and mostly black characters in Nightfall, as are most (human) characters you encounter there.

That's really the only fantasy MMO I can think of right now that diferentiates between character races like that.

There's also TSW, where (at least at release) your skin color options change depending on the face you pick for your character.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Yeah but its not quite the same thing, at least half my friends are white, I wouldn't want to belong to some black only guild.

I am not talking about a "black" only guild, more of a community. I guess I did not fully explain, but guys can be in the "girl" community too. So, it is not a them vs. us thing it is just a collection of like minded people that focus on a particular subject. I mean isnt a community supposed to bond because they have similar views. One such community is PMS, you have probably seen these people around everywhere. There is also a guy branch that support the same views as PMS. It is not a exclusive club, I apologize for making it sound that way. Just a community focused and fixing a particular issue in the gaming community. 

Originally posted by LadyEuphei

I agree that racism is rampant, but I think sexism is far more seen and heard in the gaming community. I mean for awhile we were pretty much not accepted and were thought of as myths and legends. I do have to say though, I do not get offended by sexism. I hope that one day the gaming community will clean up, but without some kind of freedom breaching act (like taking away the right to be anonymous on the internet) I do not see it happening. 

Now if racism is what you seek to fix in gaming I would suggest making some kind of a community around it. Girl gamers have several communities that are exclusive to woman so that we can be strong in a group and know we have people in the same situation as us. I am not sure if there is an african/african-american gaming group out there, so this may be an oppurtunity for growth. The best way to fix a problem is to show people that there is a problem.

I just hope one day I can get on a game and have someone know I am a girl and not respond by either degrading/attacking me because of my gender, shunning me out of fear, or offering me free stuff to get something. God forbid the asking for nude/boob pic comments I get on a daily basis. Some people can just be jerks, so always have your guard up and never bring yourself down to their level. I wish you luck if you are persuing improving the racism epidemic image

You know in real life you see this a lot, women being treated as property and spoken down to, taken advantage of, and mistreated. Its sad. As a man raised properly by my parents i still open doors for women, call them ma'am, miss, misses, and try hard not to curse around them. But that is what i was raised like. Even today i have been with my wife for 5 years so far, and still open the door for her, carry her stuff, and we ahvent been in a single fight "yet". Not all men are bad, and some women are bad as well. I wonder if it is how we raise our children or just stuff we pick up along the way.

Racism and sexism are horrible in rap music (no racism here, white rap too ;) ), most women get called tricks, sluts, ho's, and b***es. I wonder why? If your race calls each other the N word and you hear it all the time, how is someone of a different race considered a racist if you call yourselves the same words? Double standard? Perhaps if people treated each other with more respect in and out of their own culture and didnt get off on the violence, hate, humor, and just wickedness in general perhaps things would be better.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

while it appalls me that there is racism in games or racism anywhere you have to understand that the majority of people who do this do it deliberately..to get a reaction.

my wife was called a paedophile while playing warcraft over ventrilo..the outcry from the guild was immense..this guy got kicked from the guild.then had his name broadcast over chat for what he said..my wife reported him.he got banned for life.has you can imagine my wife waas extremely upset.she left the game after that until i had a chat with her .

to put it bluntly there are a lot of seriously sad individuals who take absolute pleasure in making other peoples lives a misery.mainly because they think the world revolves around them.my advice..just laugh at them,that angers them more and just keep laughing..in the end they go away.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    I want more darker skin tones in MMO character creation. look at Archeage. limited skin tone for humans. same with Warhammer Online.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Well I'm not saying that and we weren't alone in our struggles either we have always had support. Hell Im the only african in my guild but I know they have my back if someone started throwing remarks my way. Probably to the point where they would be defending me more then I would be defending myself. 

Finding good people is always a great thing. But when you come across opposition or hate don't let it change what you do or get you down, if you do they win. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• xSyngexxSyngex Member Posts: 44

OMG in am black.. peeps better respect dat'

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Let´s blame South Park

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Onomas

The racism bothers me a lot, primarily because it's simply uncalled for. It is almost always someone trying to rile up someone else and there's no need for that at all. There are plenty of far more creative and far less insensitive ways to cause trouble than shouting racial slurs.

There's also the other side of the coin as well, which is the prolific use of the N word by black players combined with the double standard of who is allowed to use it. Now, to put this in context, I'm talking about games with voice chat and the use of it as a neutral term.

I just posted something about that a few seconds after you did lol. I too hate racism and sexism, in 2013 we shouldnt tolerate or have this, i agree. Our children is what we shoud worry about and not teach them our hates and fears. Or things will never get better.

Its sad you can not treat a women with respect.......... that could be your mother or sister being treated like that. I wouldnt stand for it. Now having a new child (daughter) jesus i think i am more protective now than ever, just knowing what kind of people are out there :( it sadens me.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

I am a white Canadian male and have continously been called a cracker over the years.  I have never ownd a slave and condone it. 

I am tired of it.

This discussion has been closed.