Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA demonstrates yet again why they were voted the worst company in America

2»

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Myria
    How is this discussion even still going on when a link was posted over an hour ago showing the whole thing to be a misunderstanding  and that EA was updating their documents to clarify?

Forum PvP has no time limit or rounds :)

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    How is this discussion even still going on when a link was posted over an hour ago showing the whole thing to be a misunderstanding  and that EA was updating their documents to clarify?

You don't see a difference between a company that will try shady tactics and only back off if there's a big enough public outcry, and one that won't try those shady tactics in the first place?

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Quizzical

You don't see a difference between a company that will try shady tactics and only back off if there's a big enough public outcry, and one that won't try those shady tactics in the first place?

I can't think of any video company that fits into the latter category.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/SimCity-Closed-Beta-EULA-EA,20596.html

From the EULA in the Sim City beta:

“It is understood and agreed that, as part of your participation in the Beta Program, it is your responsibility to report all known bugs, abuse of ‘bugs’, ‘undocumented features’ or other defects and problems related to the Game and Beta Software to EA as soon as they are found (“Bugs”). If you know about a Bug or have heard about a Bug and fail to report the Bug to EA, we reserve the right to treat you no differently from someone who abuses the Bug. You acknowledge that EA reserve the right to lock anyone caught abusing a Bug out of all EA products.”

In other words, if you notice some graphical artifacts in the Sim City beta but don't report them, they could perma-ban you from SWTOR.  I realize that terms of service agreements typically have catch-alls that basically say "we can ban you for any reason we like or no reason at all".  But this is ridiculous.  Apparently EA now agrees and says that they're going to back off from that stance somewhat.

So tell me this.. How would they be able to prove that you knew about a bug? The only way I can figure is that you either saw someone abusing a bug and did nothing.. or you yourself were abusing the bug. Either way, you should be kicked out. I don't really see a problem with any of this. Of course, that my be because I'm not playing any EA stuff right now lol.

It seems like they are bascially saying that if you are a shithead who just gets into the beta to play for free and doesn't want to help, then out you go. They appear to be using the ban from all products as a deterent to keep out shitheads.. as they should. It's not really a problem for me as I report any bugs I come accross in any beta. 

EDIT: Oh, I see this was a mistake and they are correcting the wording. All is right with the world. 

• PhlaccPhlacc Member UncommonPosts: 45

I think the OP is trying way too hard to get us all to hate this policy. I read the policy and it doesn't bother me because I really doubt that if you are playing Sim City and didn't report a bug that they would ban you in other games.

You're reaching OP, you just thought you would be another leader in the EA bashing game.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

“It is understood and agreed that, as part of your participation in the Beta Program, it is your responsibility to report all known bugs, abuse of ‘bugs’, ‘undocumented features’ or other defects and problems related to the Game and Beta Software to EA as soon as they are found (“Bugs”). If you know about a Bug or have heard about a Bug and fail to report the Bug to EA, we reserve the right to treat you no differently from someone who abuses the Bug. You acknowledge that EA reserve the right to lock anyone caught abusing a Bug out of all EA products.”

In other words, if you notice some graphical artifacts in the Sim City beta but don't report them, they could perma-ban you from SWTOR.  I realize that terms of service agreements typically have catch-alls that basically say "we can ban you for any reason we like or no reason at all".  But this is ridiculous.  Apparently EA now agrees and says that they're going to back off from that stance somewhat.

Regardless of the argument whether it's right for EA to ban people in this situation, it's an inarguable fact that EA is still a bunch of tools.  Only Activision has strived to and actually be better in being a bigger bunch of tools in the last several years.

Also, I'm not fond of EA / DICE turn in the "Main Battlefield" franchise (not Bad Company) design.  I'm also very surprised by both parties turning Battlefield 3 into a Dairy Farm.

Goodbye Battlefield.  I still have fond memories of BF2 and 2142.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I really don't like EA, and I agree they're the worse out there, but I don't see the problem here. It's their games and if you're using exploits and not bringing the bugs to their attention I think they have every right to ban people like that from playing their games.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

EA demonstrates yet again why they were voted the worst company in America

Actually your statement is entirely false.

EA is only a bad company in terms of customer service.

In terms of employee environment and benefits it is actually one of the best company to work for, right up there with Google.

There is a reason why people who work at EA don't go against the bosses and wants to stay at EA, you know :P

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Beta TEST... If you are there TESTING then what is the problem?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by botrytis

“It is understood and agreed that, as part of your participation in the Beta Program, it is your responsibility to report all known bugs, abuse of ‘bugs’, ‘undocumented features’ or other defects and problems related to the Game and Beta Software to EA as soon as they are found (“Bugs”). If you know about a Bug or have heard about a Bug and fail to report the Bug to EA, we reserve the right to treat you no differently from someone who abuses the Bug. You acknowledge that EA reserve the right to lock anyone caught abusing a Bug out of all EA products.

And your problem with that is? It is a BETA test - that is what they are used for bug detection.

Get over it - this is making a mountain out of an anthill.

I made the part people missed bigger

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    This just in, EA will be charging you 49 cents per bullet in the next FPS, Battlefield: Cash Grab!

Adds immersion. good move EA!

on a serous note, banning players abusing bugs in beta is a good idea. During the TSW CB people were abusing the *hit of stuff. The abuse destroyed any chance of testing PVP balance. I think some of the problems TSW pvp ran into could have been avoided if those exploiters were banned.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    BC dont they already do that in Battlefield Heroes? o.O

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by botrytis

And your problem with that is? It is a BETA test - that is what they are used for bug detection.

Get over it - this is making a mountain out of an anthill.

Agreed. People seem to forget betas aren't just 'free game.'

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre