Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do quest givers talk in Metaphor's and Riddles?

MarcelinoMarcelino Member UncommonPosts: 124
Seriously, ive completely lost track as to what is going on. Call me stupid if you like, my use of the English language is probally ok, I got a D in English language at GCSE level so I'm no brainbox, but is it me or are the quests and lore extreemly complex to understand and follow? I was doing Dawning of an Endless night tier 17-18 tonight and I really didnt have a clue what was going on! I understand that Beaumont has a sword, but I found the story too complex to follow and lost track, and I ended up in this zone with this god talking to me. Sorry if im giving out spoliers but I had to pause the game and do back ground research to find out what was actually happening. I think I lost track at about tier 5 lol Anyone else having this problem or is it just me?

Comments

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    It definitely has it's own style. Sometimes even I feel like "WTF did that guy just say?" I often wonderd how non native English speakers cope with it. It's like every npc in TSW has got a diploma from creepy metaphor univeristy. :)
  • MarcelinoMarcelino Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Originally posted by spookydom
    It's like every npc in TSW has got a diploma from creepy metaphor univeristy. :)

Haha i agree. I am not trying to say that its a bad thing, i just wish I could follow what is going on lol. Maybe I'm the one that needs to go to university lol

My fav scene in the whole quest line is Joe Slater, when he is in the sewer and explaining what happened to him. I loved the creepy setting and that he had obviously had problems with the fog but I had to rewatch it on youtube about 5 times to understand what he was actually talking about :P

Mind you, I did come from SWTOR, where the quest giver just said "I need you to go kill 10 of them leetchers please, I will mark it on your map, over and out" LOL

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Because that's the Secret World.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Wait until you meet Nassir in Egypt -- he's defnitely a break from all the scholarly types!  :)  Yeah, I think it's because you're meeting all these bookish people who have spent much time in their various mysteries.  Have you mean the couple Orochi agents out on the bridge in Kingsmouth?
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

We deal with Illuminati and Templars... of course everybody will talk riddles :)... I actually admire people who figured out this stuff as first /grin

EQ2 used to have quests like that... maybe not in a creepy way but... sort of similar... until they dumb it down... hah... every quest in EQ2 had a walkthrough.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    Wait until you meet Nassir in Egypt -- he's defnitely a break from all the scholarly types!  :)  Yeah, I think it's because you're meeting all these bookish people who have spent much time in their various mysteries.  Have you mean the couple Orochi agents out on the bridge in Kingsmouth?

It's almost like listening to Spock and the Doc arguing in Star Trek.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Grunty
    Originally posted by Ortwig

It's almost like listening to Spock and the Doc arguing in Star Trek.

Heh.

In that instance, probably a deliberate shout-out. Read up on who voiced Blake (the senior agent).

"We're just the science detail. [...] Leave that  to the redshirts."

"Did you just drop a Star Trek reference, sir?"

"Whatever gave you that idea?"

Also, check out the mission cutscenes from Red in Savage Coast -- one of the other NPCs in those complains about him talking in metaphors (not to mention, gratuitously mixing them).

EDIT: corrected quote

• SwobyJSwobyJ Member Posts: 80

OP, remember that they're technically not GIVING you quests.

They're commenting on their situation, and sometimes implying that (Especially if they know you're a Bee) you could help out. Sometimes they need help, but all you do is exploit their situaiton and send intel to your faction :P

But I can understand the overacting and riddles allegation. Yeah.