Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WAC Alpha 1 Thread 2013-01-20

KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Realm Lords II - Wizards and Champions

A L P H A   1   T H R E A D

FAIR WARNING:  micro-budget Indie with old school artwork and very few modern features.

Who:  XAP Games (a micro-budget Indie), and community volunteers to help test.

What:  WAC Alpha 1 - A quick test run of a live server with 1 overland region, 1 town, and a couple dungeons.

When:  Only a couple days out.  Servers will be live for several days.

Where:  Using the WAC forum here on MMORPG.com for communications since the WAC web site isn't setup yet.

Why:  Basic systems test.  The base framework and mechanics are in place.  Hoping for feedback on UI, combat mechanics, client performance, and general concept presentation.

Sign-up procedure:  Drop a note in this thread so I have a clue on how many have interest.

Testing process:

1. When client is available and servers live, a client link will be posted.

2. Account creation is done via the client.

3. A guide for client operation will be posted on the WAC web site and linked from this thread.

4. Feedback can be left in this thread or PM'd if the tester feels it appropriate to not post publicly.

5. No NDA.  There will be account and character wipe on completion.

Things that are in the game and working at least partially:  Vendors, trainers, trash mobs, mail, auction house, and combat.

Things NOT in game yet:  Lore, crafting, mining, skinning, harvesting, tutorial, maps, online help, and game content (it's just a framework at this point).

Any questions or comments, feel free to reply.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Comments

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I'm always good for feedback :) Count me in
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Afterlife
    I'm always good for feedback :) Count me in

Excellent.  Greatly appreciated.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Cierdwyn2Cierdwyn2 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I'd like to help out as much as I can. If you need a tester, let me know when and where.:)

We are the people our paretns warned us about.

Originally posted by Cierdwyn2
    I'd like to help out as much as I can. If you need a tester, let me know when and where.:)

That'd be great.  At the moment in code-hell trying to fix a lighting issue with the engine.  Unless I have a crisis, which I don't expect, I plan to have servers up by end of the week.

• LifttedLiftted Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I would be willing to give this a test. I have done some other alpha and a lot of beta testing.
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Sure, if you need more people to test, count me in.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459
    I would be willing to give some feedback also as I have nothing else going at the moment.

First peek at unnamed town in starter zone.

• momodigmomodig Member UncommonPosts: 555
    Really enjoy this guys games; but he conitnually makes a new game like it's going out of style... Just please stick with one projected... is very discouraging when I enjoy the game you  make, and you ditch for something else :) hope this one is the one :)

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     I would love jump in and help you test your game , i am a UO vet of 13 years , and have done alot of testing in my day s..
    Originally posted by momodig
    Really enjoy this guys games; but he conitnually makes a new game like it's going out of style... Just please stick with one projected... is very discouraging when I enjoy the game you  make, and you ditch for something else :) hope this one is the one :)

Yeah, uhm... well I kind of have emotional stability issues because of the meds I take.  I get messed up and make bad decisions.  Feeling pretty good lately though.  After alpha starts I have to take some time off and rest.  Stress makes things worse.

Originally posted by Scorchien
     I would love jump in and help you test your game , i am a UO vet of 13 years , and have done alot of testing in my day s..

Works for me.  Glad to have you along.

We'll have to talk about Trammel some time.  I never played UO.  Would like insider perspective on overland PVP.

• AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173
    I love the chance to help out! Count me in mate! Look forward to trying/testing the game for ya!
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    hey bud, I was in on your test team a couple yrs back I think when you first started W&C.  If you need some more testers, I have a couple free days this weekend, if Im not grinding POE
  • DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197
    I'd love to give some feedback if you'd like.  Tested pretty much everything lol.

• Kenshin_HimuraKenshin_Himura Member Posts: 75
    Looks interesting and would also like to test.

• reginleafreginleaf Member Posts: 1

Unfortunately I don't have 13 years of experience working on MMOs, however I've recently grown tired of the one I was playing (being DDO) and would love to assist in the development of a new MMO. I'm also quite curious in how MMOs tend to develop, so getting some experience in alpha and following through would be an excitment to me. 

If you're willing to have me aboard I'd be happy to test the game.

Originally posted by reginleaf

... and would love to assist in the development of a new MMO. I'm also quite curious in how MMOs tend to develop, so getting some experience in alpha and following through would be an excitment to me. 

Sounds good to me.  I'd be glad to show you around the development process.  Alpha is a great place to start because there's so much missing it's quite a contrast to a finished game.  It's easy to see what polish is when it isn't there.

I'll have a client ready in a day or so.  At the moment, I'm installing dungeon entrances and tidying up a bit.

• AlpiusAlpius Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Hey, long time no see. I was a tester way back when with one or two of your earlier projects. Would love to help you out as much as I can again.
    Originally posted by Gisrie
    Hey, long time no see. I was a tester way back when with one or two of your earlier projects. Would love to help you out as much as I can again.

Gisrie, good to see you.

I'm sort of nervous.  This will be the first live test of the new combat system.  If it works, I think this could be pretty cool.  The mechanics are sort of like Mortal Online crossed with Morrowind / Oblivion.

Client FPS isn't as good as I'd like it to be.  It might be all the debugging crap slowing it down.  From my tests it's CPU bound so optimizations should help once I get the bottlnecks figured out.

Client in a day or so.  At the moment I'm installing dungeons on the first zone...  Argh!  Not that I'm stressed or anything.  hehe.

• AlpiusAlpius Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Gisrie, good to see you.

I'm sort of nervous.  This will be the first live test of the new combat system.  If it works, I think this could be pretty cool.  The mechanics are sort of like Mortal Online crossed with Morrowind / Oblivion.

Client FPS isn't as good as I'd like it to be.  It might be all the debugging crap slowing it down.  From my tests it's CPU bound so optimizations should help once I get the bottlnecks figured out.

Client in a day or so.  At the moment I'm installing dungeons on the first zone...  Argh!  Not that I'm stressed or anything.  hehe.

Looking forward to it! Just take your time, there are still a lot of people looking for a nice non-mando pvp/freeroam mmo to call home.

Just please don't add pandas to it! Well, that is unless we get to kill them in large quantities :)

Just please don't add pandas to it! Well, that is unless we get to kill them in large quantities :)

No worry on the Pandas.  *grin*   I am looking into getting a feline playable race eventually.  I like the way TES has the Khajit (spelling?) as a fast moving high agility race ideal for rogues and scouts.  But that's a long ways off.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I'll gladly try out the alpha and provide feedback. Count me in.

Cave dungeon came out sort of unusual with the new lighting.

I know the dungeon needs to be big because it's public, but this thing is damn huge. :-)

If you'd like to see it:  YouTube Video (4 mins)

Originally posted by Panther2103
    I'll gladly try out the alpha and provide feedback. Count me in.

Exellent, thank-you.

I think I have everything in that's needed.  Too late to publish it now, I have to crash for a while.  Final tweaks tomorrow morning and if nothing's broken the servers go live.