Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do YOU the PLAYERS want?

AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173
No Devs have ever thought to ask this question and actually consider following through with the answers...well at least the good ones. So i'm asking you, in a few short sentences desribe to me what YOU want when it comes to the genre of MMORPGs. 

Comments

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    /inbeforetrainwreak
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Originally posted by ArChWind
    /inbeforetrainwreak

trainwreck? im doing this to learn, not to cause a said "trainwreck". 

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Without a novel containing every one of my personal wishes for a game, I would have to say it would have to be an experience that felt like my first MMORPG.  I want to feel some magic in my games again.  I can tell when a publisher just wants my money as opposed to when they want me to share in their dream of a virtual world.  They can have both, but if one is missing I simply feel like I'm being duped by the experience.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Large overland world, entrances to a multitude of interesting things all over the world, things to do other than exploring / fighting, and a home where my character lives / works.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Very Constructive Answers so far guys! Keep it up!
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

plenty if not all devs ask actual players what they want when they make a game.. issue is almost no one wants the exact same thing.. me personally i love having a huge pool of skills which lets me essentially make my own class.. others may like the structure of set classes. I like little hand holding but minimal others like a lot others like none at all.. that's really the issue you have 100 people telling you they like 100 conflicting things what do you do?

I think one major issue many games have is they stray to far from what they want or thought up when creating a game and try to please everyone and you just cannot do that. But on the flip side if you don't listen at all you risk alienating all but hardcore followers.. so again what do you do?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Raithe-NorRaithe-Nor Member Posts: 315

Balanced gameplay.

Large, immersive world (this almost always happens by default).

But most importantly (you win MMO of the Year, automatically, if you succeed at this):

The incompatible playstyles to mine find a different game to camp/grind.

(Now you have a clue why this might be a trainwreck...)

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by AgentAnarkii
    Originally posted by ArChWind
    /inbeforetrainwreak

trainwreck? im doing this to learn, not to cause a said "trainwreck". 

if you get enough answers you will understand the train wreck theory here.

/passes popcorn

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
    Originally posted by Raithe-Nor

Balanced gameplay.

Large, immersive world (this almost always happens by default).

But most importantly (you win MMO of the Year, automatically, if you succeed at this):

The incompatible playstyles to mine find a different game to camp/grind.

(Now you have a clue why this might be a trainwreck...)

Only a trainwreck if the insults start flying from "carebears"(i dont call them that) and said "hardcore" players(which again i dont call them that, nothing about playing a game is "hardcore") 

• bryzbryz Member Posts: 5
    People want open world games like Ultima Online.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I want to play in a non-instanced world that truly changes and evolves but I could care less for all the other 'sandbox" trappings like an architectural and interior decoration simulator, or overly-complex crafting.

What I really hate is to see events recycle for the next customer. More thought and effort has to go into providing enough fun things to do, without using the event recycler. Orc threats that grow, evolve and migrate...offshore spawns and invasions...that sort of thing.

Class or skill based classless...I lean toward the classless but either can be fun. Graphics and sound have to be at least representative of 2013.

just a few thoughts...

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Thing is... there's no such thing as "what do the players want"... instead, there are millions of "what do I want"s... and actually I'd dare to say that it's most likely that more failures in game development have come from listening to players and trying to please everyone instead of following the original design.

Personally, if you were to ask me about my perfect MMO, it would probably be close to how GW2 is now, but with TSW style of dungeon boss design and maybe with a seamless world, but only as long as it could be done while keeping the level of detail the world has now. Some people might like it, but not be perfect for them, other people would be bored to tears with it, and so on.

Housing is something I don't care, for example, for other people is a mus have. Some people wouldn't consider playing a game with no open world PvP, others would add full loot to that requirement, while for me it just means a game I'd avoid like the plague, and so on.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    a Sandbox MMO without FFA PvP but Faction PvP like WoW, and has not player body looting.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

actully i disagree with you OP because there are a few games where the devs listen to the populace to much, and things dont pan out well. instead of the devs doing what they know need to be done to solve a problem they instead listen to the players who dont actully know the full story most of the time

i do agree that devs should take into consideration what players want but not to the point where they gtive in to all the whining, especilly with flavor of the month nerfs

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Swiftrevoir
    Without a novel containing every one of my personal wishes for a game, I would have to say it would have to be an experience that felt like my first MMORPG.  I want to feel some magic in my games again.  I can tell when a publisher just wants my money as opposed to when they want me to share in their dream of a virtual world.  They can have both, but if one is missing I simply feel like I'm being duped by the experience.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. Thats why I am still playing my first mmo.image

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

"No Devs have ever thought to ask this question and actually consider following through with the answers..."

"im doing this to learn"

Step One - abandon the bittervet talking points.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    I want a group focused pve game. Where every class has their role to play, heal/tank/dd/suport. Some instant fight's, that takes stratagy and 3-6 peaple to do. I want dev's to slow down the leveling curve, dont wanna be cap in a month no more... basically i wanna game that used to be like ffxi ^^.
  • PhoenixC13PhoenixC13 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Content and a challenge.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by AgentAnarkii
    No Devs have ever thought to ask this question and actually consider following through with the answers...well at least the good ones. So i'm asking you, in a few short sentences desribe to me what YOU want when it comes to the genre of MMORPGs. 

Well that is an easy question.

I want fun.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

1. Nice and dedicated community

2.  Deep and intresting lore

3. Huge World with little or no instances

4. Open World pvp with reputation system and/or jail (kill enough players and you can't enter town haha)

5. Sandbox -  There's enough quest driven MMOs

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624

-dmc /gow /darksiders/... combat controls

-dark souls death system

-monster system that has weakness to certain attack types /combos to stray from just running 08/15 rotations

-dungeons with puzzles like zelda spirit tracks just that instead of an npc you control its players who you cooperate with, puzzle level has to be higher level

-if possible special nda for dungeons past release to kill guides and keep the exiting feeling of unknown adventure and a challenge for the first months of their release

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    An unbuilt world .  One were the players build the cities, build the forges to craft the best weapons, build the bridges to reach new lands , ect...
  • Thunder073Thunder073 Member UncommonPosts: 108

I want grouping, where the community actually matters (think eq). People learn very quickly in a game that its not accepted to be a jackhole because they will find it mighty hard to get an invite to a group.

This is the number one reason why games with harder leveling curves and "forced grouping" (aka not a solo friendly game) have the best communities. People who are jerks don't get invited back and therefore dont get to exp or progress because they are jerks, plain and simple.

No one wants to solo in an MMO and no one wants to group in a game where you can solo everything...

Bring back harder leveling, less hand holding and omfg less quests overall. Why o why does everything have to be a quest. its asinine to have over 1000 quests in a game. Just make harder epic ones

Meaningful character advancement!! Doesnt have to be an endless "level cap" but when i hit max level i want to advance my character's stats/skills/passives/etc, not a gear grind! That gets boring.

Sadly i dont think i'll ever find a game like this again...

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

A game that is fun to me.

Most MMOs are giving me what I like though so I'm pretty contend with the current MMOs in the market.

If it has a good story element like SWTOR, all the better cause story is what I really want to have in my video game; MMO or not.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

I wanted to say a myraid of skill and class options that blended together like the FFX sphere grid.  But Path of Exile is doing that...and so much more.  Its actually a design doc that basically would make a workable wish list for me on all fronts, save a few.  Terrain control, deep social crafting, and the ability to create and run full fledged cities like SWG had would round it off.

But I'm not an all or nothing gamer.  I can take 2 apples where 4 were wanted.  I will eat them with a smile just the same.

In reflection, I think that I just described my perfect game as "Minecraft meets PoE:"