Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help!!! Would Really Like to Start Streaming

cartermaticcartermatic Member Posts: 53

Hello community, my name is Andrew (posting on my friends account) and I am an avid gamer. I'll just cut to the chase. I'd really like to start streaming but theres a few problems. Pretty much, when ever I run Xsplit and try to stream League of Legends, my fps drops reaalllllyyyy low. 

I'd like to know what computer specs I need to be able to stream at 60 fps while playing League of legends.  Whenever I start streaming, I see a huge drop in my Fps. I'm not looking to do a completely huge upgrade. Maybe just a few upgrades and like $100-300 total spending if possible. I'd just like to be able to stream efficiently. 

Anyways, here's my current specs. If you can, let me know what I need to upgrade to be able to stream and play my game at 60 fps. Thanks!

Processor: AMD A6-3600 APU Quad Core with Radeon HD Graphics , 2.1 Ghz

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6530D

RAM: 6GB

Internet Speed: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2450580017.png   It's Verizon Fios. Never lags. My internet has never given me problems. If there's anything else you guys need to know before helping, just let me know! Thanks so much for your time.

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

You dont have a " graphics card" , your using integrated graphics off the cpu ( APU ).

Is this a laptop or a desktop? If its a laptop then your stuck. With the 6gb RAM it looks like a misconfigured laptop.

If its a desktop you may can add a dedicated graphics card, will depend on the other components in your system tho, they may or may not be able to handle a dedicated GPU.

To get a real answer your gonna need to post whats in the system specifically.

Power Supply 600w wont do it. Need the brands such as  Seasonic G 550w  for example.

Whats the montherboard?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Originally posted by jdnewell

You dont have a " graphics card" , your using integrated graphics off the cpu ( APU ).

Is this a laptop or a desktop? If its a laptop then your stuck. With the 6gb RAM it looks like a misconfigured laptop.

If its a desktop you may can add a dedicated graphics card, will depend on the other components in your system tho, they may or may not be able to handle a dedicated GPU.

Power Supply 600w wont do it. Need the brands such as  Seasonic G 550w  for example.

Whats the montherboard?

6530D is a desktop.  Basically, D = desktop.

But that's an awfully slow processor, as you got a low clocked alternate version of an already slow processor.  I don't know if streaming a game depends mostly on the CPU or GPU.

• cartermaticcartermatic Member Posts: 53

Alright, here is a more detailed description of what I got. By the way, I only have a 300W Power Supply and it says.......Bestec for the brand. I bought this Pc at BestBuy so I didn't expect much of it.  Anyway, here it is.

Processor: http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8292/screenie270.png

Motherboard: http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/8458/screenie271.png

Memory: http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9343/screenie272.png

Currently with that setup, I can actually play League of Legends at 60+ Fps and it will never drop at close to max settings as well. My goal is to be able to do that same gameplay and also stream. I don't want to go over the top with my upgrade, I just want to know what I would absolutely need to be able to stream and hold 60 Fps. I don't need 5 i7's with a quad monitor setup or anything like that haha. Just a budget upgrade, or if anything, a budget gaming computer cost if my current setup just can't run it.

P.s. Yes, this is a desktop.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Whats the montherboard?

6530D is a desktop.  Basically, D = desktop.

But that's an awfully slow processor, as you got a low clocked alternate version of an already slow processor.  I don't know if streaming a game depends mostly on the CPU or GPU.

Alright, here is a more detailed description of what I got. By the way, I only have a 300W Power Supply and it says.......Bestec for the brand. I bought this Pc at BestBuy so I didn't expect much of it.  Anyway, here it is.

Currently with that setup, I can actually play League of Legends at 60+ Fps and it will never drop at close to max settings as well. My goal is to be able to do that same gameplay and also stream. I don't want to go over the top with my upgrade, I just want to know what I would absolutely need to be able to stream and hold 60 Fps. I don't need 5 i7's with a quad monitor setup or anything like that haha. Just a budget upgrade, or if anything, a budget gaming computer cost if my current setup just can't run it.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

This is a little old post, and about SC2, but perhaps you should read it: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=220584

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

First tip, do not use a CPU that doubles as the GPU. Integrated graphics always suck. Second tip, do not use Xsplit since it is a terrible piece of software and a system hog. Specially on weaker systems. Instead, use Open Broadcaster Software or OBS. It's free, open source, and very lightweight. It runs very fast compared to Xsplit.

http://obsproject.com/

Originally posted by AvsRock21

First tip, do not use a CPU that doubles as the GPU. Integrated graphics always suck. Second tip, do not use Xsplit since it is a terrible piece of software and a system hog. Specially on weaker systems. Instead, use Open Broadcaster Software or OBS. It's free, open source, and very lightweight. It runs very fast compared to Xsplit.

http://obsproject.com/

So pretty much It's not even worth upgrading my computer? Am I just better off going for a budget gaming cpu instead?

Originally posted by cartermatic

If you want a faster processor, you'd have to replace the processor.  But Socket FM1 can't take any fast processors, so you'd also be looking at a new motherboard.  A new motherboard means a new OS license.

Meanwhile, a faster video card would definitely require a new power supply and likely a new case.  If you just want faster integrated graphics, you also need higher clocked memory.  For a discrete video card, you'd likely be able to keep one of the memory modules that came with your computer, but would need to replace the other to properly match them.

The hard drive would be fine for bulk storage, but if it's a 5400 RPM drive, you don't want to run real programs off of that, so you'd want a new drive anyway.  It might be 5400 RPM or it might be 7200 RPM; even a cheap junk desktop could be either.

The only component from the original computer that you'd almost certainly be able to reuse is the optical drive.  But at most, that's a $20 part.

Never buy a cheap junk computer and try to upgrade it.  If you wanted to "upgrade" your system to a respectable $600 budget gaming computer, you'd likely be looking at around $500 in upgrades.  If you can pick out one or two parts that will give you what you want if you upgrade them and nothing else and the upgrades are cheap, then maybe you go for it.  But otherwise, if you want more performance, you should be looking at replacing your system, not upgrading it.

Originally posted by Quizzical

If you want a faster processor, you'd have to replace the processor.  But Socket FM1 can't take any fast processors, so you'd also be looking at a new motherboard.  A new motherboard means a new OS license.

Meanwhile, a faster video card would definitely require a new power supply and likely a new case.  If you just want faster integrated graphics, you also need higher clocked memory.  For a discrete video card, you'd likely be able to keep one of the memory modules that came with your computer, but would need to replace the other to properly match them.

The hard drive would be fine for bulk storage, but if it's a 5400 RPM drive, you don't want to run real programs off of that, so you'd want a new drive anyway.  It might be 5400 RPM or it might be 7200 RPM; even a cheap junk desktop could be either.

The only component from the original computer that you'd almost certainly be able to reuse is the optical drive.  But at most, that's a $20 part.

Never buy a cheap junk computer and try to upgrade it.  If you wanted to "upgrade" your system to a respectable $600 budget gaming computer, you'd likely be looking at around $500 in upgrades.  If you can pick out one or two parts that will give you what you want if you upgrade them and nothing else and the upgrades are cheap, then maybe you go for it.  But otherwise, if you want more performance, you should be looking at replacing your system, not upgrading it.

Alright, thanks for the honesty. So, this sounds fun, building my own computer. Thats a project in itself for me, AND I would be getting everything I want. So If i wanted to build a budget gaming computer, do you think you can walk me through? I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to the nitty gritty of computers and whats good and whats bad. In reality, how much would a bugdet gaming computer for my needs cost? I really do NOT  need to go over the top and spend 1,500 on a new computer. As stated before, I'd like to run League of legends at 60fps and still be able to stream. That's my goal and I'd like to build a computer around that idea if possible. I've heard you know your stuff about computers and budget cpu setups. So how can I get started? What should I be looking for if I'm on a budget?

What is your total budget in $ amount?

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

Hello community, my name is Andrew (posting on my friends account) and I am an avid gamer. I'll just cut to the chase. I'd really like to start streaming but theres a few problems. Pretty much, when ever I run Xsplit and try to stream League of Legends, my fps drops reaalllllyyyy low. 

I'd like to know what computer specs I need to be able to stream at 60 fps while playing League of legends.  Whenever I start streaming, I see a huge drop in my Fps. I'm not looking to do a completely huge upgrade. Maybe just a few upgrades and like $100-300 total spending if possible. I'd just like to be able to stream efficiently. 

Anyways, here's my current specs. If you can, let me know what I need to upgrade to be able to stream at 60 fps. Thanks!

Internet Speed: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2448972789.png   It's Verizon Fios. Never lags. It may not seem like much, but honestly my internet has never given me problems. 

If there's anything else you guys need to know before helping, just let me know! Thanks so much for your time.

forget it dude with 3mb.. it can be done tho.. but @ shitty quality.. none will watch it..

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    You might want do more research into what your upload speed needs to be for a decent quality strem before you run off and buy a new computer. I don't know exactly know how fast it needs to be but I do know that the quality of your stream highly depends on your upload speed. If you find that your upload speed is inadequate then you should see what other packages internet service providers in your area offer.  

I'd say my total budget is $600. If I NEED to pay an extra $100-200, I will. But I am aiming for $600.

Originally posted by fayknaym
    You might want do more research into what your upload speed needs to be for a decent quality strem before you run off and buy a new computer. I don't know exactly know how fast it needs to be but I do know that the quality of your stream highly depends on your upload speed. If you find that your upload speed is inadequate then you should see what other packages internet service providers in your area offer.  

I feel like my internet is no factor, that speed test I have on the first page is with 6 other computers on my internet, all playing League of Legends / Pandora. Idk, Verizon Fios has been good to me. Here's a speedtest from just a few minutes ago: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2450580017.png

Originally posted by Snoepie

Anyways, here's my current specs. If you can, let me know what I need to upgrade to be able to stream at 60 fps. Thanks!

Internet Speed: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2448972789.png   It's Verizon Fios. Never lags. It may not seem like much, but honestly my internet has never given me problems. 

If there's anything else you guys need to know before helping, just let me know! Thanks so much for your time.

forget it dude with 3mb.. it can be done tho.. but @ shitty quality.. none will watch it..

I feel like my internet is no factor, that speed test I have on the first page is with 6 other computers on my internet, all playing League of Legends / Pandora. Idk, Verizon Fios has been good to me.

Here is a speed test just now with just me and my friend on the internet. As you can see, it is higher. Use this as a more accurate test.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2450580017.png

• pl3dgepl3dge Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Why stream at 60fps? there is no need. Drop it down to 25-30 and you should be fine.

Originally posted by pl3dge
    Why stream at 60fps? there is no need. Drop it down to 25-30 and you should be fine.

Sorry if I was unclear. What I mean by 60fps is, I want my game to run at 60fps or better. Not the stream. That's my goal.

• pl3dgepl3dge Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Originally posted by pl3dge

Sorry if I was unclear. What I mean by 60fps is, I want my game to run at 60fps or better. Not the stream. That's my goal.

Fair enough, It will be a CPU issue then, streaming is very CPU demanding

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

from the few times i streamed my games (JC2 and minecraft type games) its very dependent on cpu and gpu. you will need a really strong system to run at high end graphics too if the game it self is on/near max settings for newer games. as the streaming software typically will drain more overall resources then just the game would.

so ya upgrade your CPU and get a decent gpu with enough ram to support both might help you with your fps dropage. might also want to tweak your streaming setup. if its running HD 1080p you might have to downgrade that to hd 720p or lower or drop hd and hope for the best if the system cant handle the drain.

Originally posted by Ichmen

from the few times i streamed my games (JC2 and minecraft type games) its very dependent on cpu and gpu. you will need a really strong system to run at high end graphics too if the game it self is on/near max settings for newer games. as the streaming software typically will drain more overall resources then just the game would.

so ya upgrade your CPU and get a decent gpu with enough ram to support both might help you with your fps dropage. might also want to tweak your streaming setup. if its running HD 1080p you might have to downgrade that to hd 720p or lower or drop hd and hope for the best if the system cant handle the drain.

I wouldn't mind streaming at 720 or even 480p if needed.

I'd say my total budget is $600. If I NEED to pay an extra $100-200, I will. But I am aiming for $600.

Can you or are you planning to use parts of the other computer? on a $600 budget  pretty much every dollar counts. Do you have an OS you can use?

Can you or are you planning to use parts of the other computer? on a $600 budget  pretty much every dollar counts. Do you have an OS you can use?

I'm pretty much getting a new rig if I went through with this. The Os can come later in talk of price, I would like to spend $600 on the computer itself. I just don't know where to start or who to talk to. Been researching all day, but I just don't know enough about this topic and how to do it myself.

Here is a $600 build. Uses stock cpu cooler, you can add an optional one for around $25

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151256 dvd drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129186 case. Comes out at $25 with the promo code offered today. No case fans tho, If you have any 120mm or 80mm can add em, or buy two for $3-4 each and add em.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767 HDD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130630 mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161402 GPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028 Psu . $39 after mail in rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220738 RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103996 CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103996 OS

$605.91 before shipping.

Plus a $15 off promo code with case, $30 in mail in rebates.

After rebates that should be really really close to $600. Best I could do with that budget. It beats the hell out of what you have now.

These prices are good as of this posting. Likely will change soon. Thats the price of the hardware, you will still need to put it together or arrange for it to be built.

What hardware does streaming a game push, anyway?  I'd think it ought to be the hardware usage from playing a game, then add to that copying frames from the video card into system memory, video encoding on the CPU, and Internet upload bandwidth to send it away.

For streaming games, the big thing is the upload speed, not the download speed.  Most residential Internet connections offer vastly more download speed than upload, so you should make sure that your connection is set on upload speed.

Copying frames from the video card into system memory would put some load on the PCI Express bus and system memory, but neither of those should be enough to be a problem.  Even 60 frames per second at 1080p is only about 6% of the bandwidth of a PCI Express 2.0 x16 connection.  You might take a bit of a hit to your frame rates from that, but it shouldn't be anything too major.

The real question is the video encoding, as a video stream will need to be greatly compressed.  Intel's QuickSync is fixed function hardware for video encoding.  AMD Radeon HD 7000 series discrete cards also have fixed function hardware for it, but I don't know if there is any software that can use it yet.  If you can do the video compression by using fixed function hardware like that, then that should greatly reduce the load on your other hardware.  But I don't know if that's possible, and even if it is, I don't know if the software is ready for it yet.

Failing that, the video encoding would likely have to be done on the CPU.  It strikes me as the sort of thing that is likely to trivially scale to arbitrarily many CPU cores.  Then again, it's pretty easy to scale games to many CPU cores, but a lot of games don't.  Regardless, the video encoding will surely be in separate threads from those running the game, which would mean you should be able to make use of a lot of CPU cores.

If that's so, then an AMD FX-6300 with six real cores might be ideal for you.  It also offers FMA support, which Intel CPUs don't yet (Intel will catch up here with Haswell), though I don't know if streaming software is written to exploit that just yet.  I don't know if FMA is useful in video compression, but it strikes me as plausible, considering that it's tremendously useful in graphics computations.  Video cards don't support nearly as many instructions as x86 CPUs, but they've supported FMA for a long time, simply because they'd perform terribly if they didn't.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I don't know what is required, but this guy's streams are pretty good, and here is the vid he did of his setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ0pdUg25Rw&list=UUeBMccz-PDZf6OB4aV6a3eA&index=44