Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Terrific game! Insanely good PVE

2»

Comments

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by immodium
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Originally posted by mymmo
    Deosn't feel like lotr. A good company should make a new mmorpg called Middle Earth

Haha. You are funny. What is the lotr feeling? 

- Persistant and dynamic open world with beautiful and overwhelming artstyle.

- Heavy graphical effects.

- Few quests. Questchains that goes on for many hours, that tell stories of events in middle earth.

- Better character models and character animations.

- Random scripted NPCs.

- Hidden/Random/Zone/World events.

- Better crafting, different styles for each race and more realistic.

- Action oriented and fluid combat.

and more.

How does that make it feel more like LotR?

At the end of the day the books are linear, so are the films.

I don't understand how adding/changing gameplay mechanics make it feel more like LotR's.

The questchains are supposed to be the content that leads you accros middle earth, to mount doom.

It's still an mmorpg, we're still in Middle Earth and it's not a linear world, it's dynamic, persistant and random. Things happening in Middle Earth shouldn't be predictable.

Try read Silmarillion.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

I personally think that LOTRO is a great game. Problem is, lots of people (me included), have tried it some years ago, generally liked the game/setting but disliked something else, that was fixed a year or two later on, and didn't give it another try lately. There are lots and lots of new features (even graphical) that have been lately added to the game, very few players know of. For instance, there is automatic loot (like in FFXI) and open for tagging monsters in the world (like in gw2).

The combat is also MUCH better than it was some years ago. So is the graphical engine and overall visuals of the game and its world. The game is really just a whole lot better than all of us (who used to play it once) think it is (was, actually).

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• YouNubeYouNube Member Posts: 25
    The only issue i had with LOTRO, was the character animations. They were pretty damn ugly, i just couldnt stand the look of my toon, let alone to develop it. So if they fixed this even a little bit, i would definetely give this game another try. But otherwise, its a no go.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Kill 10 boars=nuff said  LOL just kidding, it is actually a good not great game, with a good story line that does suffer from to many bad quests
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

I played this at launch too and I thought it was worse than dried up dog shit on the bottom of my shoe.  Hah, that made a quick turn..I tried it again just before christmas and I've been playing it quite a bit.  It's a great game for role playing and pve, it honestly feels like a massive NWN server to me, and the crowd is mature and the majority of everyone stays in character unless they are noting ooc.

Good game, especially for free.  You can even earn turbine points in game, takes a while but it is doable.  If you are looking for a good pve/rp game though this is defintely one to try if you haven't, or tried it back in the day and haven't since then.  It's aged pretty well.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184

Always keep coming back in LOTRO and DDO.

Great PVE, the models are not next-gen, but definitely not that bad as many people claims. Yes, the combat is little slow-paced, but overall it's great game!

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Deosn't feel like lotr. A good company should make a new mmorpg called Middle Earth

- Few quests. Questchains that goes on for many hours, that tell stories of events in middle earth.

- Random scripted NPCs.

and more.

I don't understand how adding/changing gameplay mechanics make it feel more like LotR's.

The questchains are supposed to be the content that leads you accros middle earth, to mount doom.

It's still an mmorpg, we're still in Middle Earth and it's not a linear world, it's dynamic, persistant and random. Things happening in Middle Earth shouldn't be predictable.

Try read Silmarillion.

What do you mean? The 3rd age is set in stone by Tolkien. How can it not be predictible?

- Random scripted NPCs.

and more.

Try read Silmarillion.

What do you mean? The 3rd age is set in stone by Tolkien. How can it not be predictible?

Are you blind? i wrote Questchains should be about the lord of the rings, the jouney with the fellowship of the ring.

It still happen other things in middle earth except the fellowship's journey. Read some of Tolkiens books, lord of the rings was just a tiny bit of the events in middle earth. 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    Kill 10 boars=nuff said  LOL just kidding, it is actually a good not great game, with a good story line that does suffer from to many bad quests

They know that I think, because they tried to spice up those boarkillings a little, for example in Evendim you only have to kill 1 boar (good luck with that) :)  not to mention you get the Pork chopper title if you kill boars in every corner of Middle-earth.

I guess it's the result of that age, when LotRO launched (wow, it's almost 6 years now...), those quests were the standard 'thanks' to wow, and LotRO was a wow-clone.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I agree with you the OP. Lotro is the only game that I will not delete from my hard drive. Yes, the combat is clunky, but other aspects of the game are worth the sacrifice. Even though the crafting is similar to other MMO's, you have a few tweaks during the crafting process that makes it a little better than others. And, I am on the Landroval server and the community there is really good. You rarely have the childish chat that you see in all other mmo's.

Glad you like it OP

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

-snip-

Sounds like you want more of a sandbox game and IMO would feel a lot less like LotR's than the game we have now.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    If i want to purchase all the expansions and VIP for one month, seems it would cost me 40$ for the first 3 expansions, 40$ for the last expansion and 15$ for the "sub", leading to a total of 95$ for the full game for a month. Am I missing something here? I'm really interested to get back to it (it was a pile of junk at launch, but many things seem fixed now), but if my math is right and i'm not missing anything, things look far from "free".... Anyone able to confirm / infirm this?

-snip-

Sounds like you want more of a sandbox game and IMO would feel a lot less like LotR's than the game we have now.

A sandbox with a storyline would feel alot more like Middle Earth.

• MerolleMerolle Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by Gorwe

I'll preface this by saying I played this last time somewhere around last April.

I loved the interpretation of LoTR and the classes and the world graphics and the RP and the crafting. However, there are things I disliked:

-character models and animations: they all look samey, lack of Armour customisation, and stiff as hell animations. I don't remember ever seeing so stiff animations both before and since playing LoTRO.

I disagree in many parts but the one is worst. I Play lotro in last 2 years, with some pause, but you not only dye your armor, you change apperance of many things as you wish, no fee, or pay and get much more forms change the aestetics char.

You change:
    Armor color
    clothing color (many sets available free)
    Make use the appearance of pieces of armor w/o use in the char.

ABOUT COMBAT

Yes is slow paced, but not frozen in on place, you move if you wish and it make some diference in fight. The animation is very better now.

Low population in the low lvl areas is comom thing in old MMOs, some news mmos still try make the start places more useful in high lvls with no much success.

I recommend LOTRO for a long time. I tested much of new MMOs and ever back to Middle Earth.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

- Random scripted NPCs.

and more.

So the game doesnt feel like middle earth because it was made in 2007 and doesnt have "dynamic events", which have yet to make a game world feel more realistic.  It could happen some day, and i do like the mechanic, but they havent been done in a realistic way yet and probably never would be.

And action combat?  Tolkien's world appeals to an older set of gamers.  Action oriented combat would be a horrible idea.

You want an over the top game (overwhelming art style with graphical flourishes in a game world meant to look not that different than Earth?) within a setting that screams subdued.   

I do agree with the racial crafting though.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Unless they fixed what stopped me from playing this last time, let me clue you in.

As a new character, the game sucks.  There are hardly any players in the lower and mid-levels, and even when servers like Brandywine had higher populations, it was hard to get groups for long chain quests in certain areas, and people are often in difference places in the long chains making it worse.  You end up having to skip over a lot of content and miss rewards.  What really made me quit was the class quest though.  You need a group for these at certain points as well, and getting one together was tough if not impossible. I spent two weeks popping into the game trying to get help with my first big class quest, and no one would even respond.  I logged off, cancelled and uninstalled.

If you are lucky you will find a friendly guild that will take the time to walk you through this stuff, but that's kinda lame too, since they will be OP for the content.  In my opinion Turbine needs to make some adjustments to their group chain quests for new players.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Unless they fixed what stopped me from playing this last time, let me clue you in.

As a new character, the game sucks.  There are hardly any players in the lower and mid-levels, and even when servers like Brandywine had higher populations, it was hard to get groups for long chain quests in certain areas, and people are often in difference places in the long chains making it worse.  You end up having to skip over a lot of content and miss rewards.  What really made me quit was the class quest though.  You need a group for these at certain points as well, and getting one together was tough if not impossible. I spent two weeks popping into the game trying to get help with my first big class quest, and no one would even respond.  I logged off, cancelled and uninstalled.

If you are lucky you will find a friendly guild that will take the time to walk you through this stuff, but that's kinda lame too, since they will be OP for the content.  In my opinion Turbine needs to make some adjustments to their group chain quests for new players.

They made the epic quests soloable, and 85% of the quest content is already soloable, no reason to change the other 15%.

Also, Brandywine is rather easy to get groups for midlevel content.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    How about... NO.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Having played a Captain along side a Warden, throwing out shouts and watching the Warden literally do everything. . . well whatever that was it definitely wasn't fun.
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

I spent two weeks popping into the game trying to get help with my first big class quest, and no one would even respond.  I logged off, cancelled and uninstalled.

They made the epic quests soloable, and 85% of the quest content is already soloable, no reason to change the other 15%.

I think he ment CD / Uru at the lvl50 class quest, and that's a valid point, not many people does that nowadays and you can't solo it either (to be honest I didn't tried it now with the cap of lvl85, but I think it still needs at least a duo). Too bad, because those 2 are pretty decent instas.

And it's not a new problem, it was there even before Isengard, you barely could find a group for it, that's why Turbine put the items in the skirmish system too (which is a bad response to the issue, but sure it's easier to them than find a way to redirect players into CD / Uru :) "here, you can grind for it if nobody wants to group up for a run").

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

I spent two weeks popping into the game trying to get help with my first big class quest, and no one would even respond.  I logged off, cancelled and uninstalled.

I think he ment CD / Uru at the lvl50 class quest, and that's a valid point, not many people does that nowadays and you can't solo it either (to be honest I didn't tried it now with the cap of lvl85, but I think it still needs at least a duo). Too bad, because those 2 are pretty decent instas.

And it's not a new problem, it was there even before Isengard, you barely could find a group for it, that's why Turbine put the items in the skirmish system too (which is a bad response to the issue, but sure it's easier to them than find a way to redirect players into CD / Uru :) "here, you can grind for it if nobody wants to group up for a run").

You can buy the level 45 class quest items, which you are referring to, in the skirmish camp for skirmish tokens instead. And skirmishes are soloable. 

REALITY CHECK

Originally posted by Thillian
    Originally posted by Po_gg

You can buy the level 45 class quest items, which you are referring to, in the skirmish camp for skirmish tokens instead. And skirmishes are soloable. 

Reality check (as your sig says :) ), well, I think I wrote the same...

"that's why Turbine put the items in the skirmish system too (which is a bad response to the issue, but sure it's easier to them than find a way to redirect players into CD / Uru :)"

Yep, the same.