Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 million copies sold since august general consensus so far

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by jpnz

There is no 'bias' when installing Xfire amongst gamers cause any gamer can install the program.

it is biased

games runs promotions to encourage players to install Xfire for their game

http://www.xfire.com/cms/xf_conan_rules/

LOL is recognized as the #1 game on Xfire -- and LOL had xfire promtions in the past

i dont think Xfire is worthless but i dont think its any better than Vgchartz as an informational tool

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

I would expect the difference in hours played to be clearly reflected within the game. As in people would indeed notice the difference in activity. If I were Blizzard I would also be alarmed about the reduced interest, since once people stop playing actively, they are one step closer to abandoning the game altogether. 

That Xfire user base is shrinking is indeed a factor that is relevant to analyze given that a whole year passed by. I would be though surprised if it explains the whole decrease in activity.

why shoud blizzard care?

Blizzard announced they had 10.2m subs a year ago Q1 2012

it dropped by 1 million in the summer but was back to 10 million 2 months ago - Nov 2012

Blizzard will announce their Q4 2012 financials in a few weeks

Because any information indicating that the future may not be bright, is to varying degree of concern for the affected company. Heck, if I were them, I would start a propaganda campaign as well and refuting the results of XFire would be one of them: as in showing that the activity decrease does not even remotely match the decrease among all players (which is data they should have). Any measurement that goes against the game is bad, so if one has the information to refute them, why not? Takes 30 minutes of their time, max.

Originally posted by ScaryMonk
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    It amazes me how little about statistics the GW2 fans in this thread know.

Unless my Stat 101 book is suddenly out of date, XFire meets the criteria of a 'random sample' for decline / incline of games.

No selection bias and a sufficient sample size.

Whether the ANALYSIS of the sample is statistically sound or not is another issue.

No, I think the question is whether it provides a statistiacally biased sample.  

Last I checked, Xfire doesn't report one game more favorably over the other.

There is no 'bias' when installing Xfire amongst gamers cause any gamer can install the program.

Unless we go down the 'But you have to DO STUFF' argument again (thus voiding every survey / poll done ever), it is statisitically a sound sample.

The problem with all survey's is that they ignore the apathetic masses.  The installation of XFire connotes an above average interest imo.  

It is not a problem when the non-apathetic part of the population think more or less the same as the apathetic part of the population, which has been shown to be true at least in case of political voting polls.

I would expect the difference in hours played to be clearly reflected within the game. As in people would indeed notice the difference in activity. If I were Blizzard I would also be alarmed about the reduced interest, since once people stop playing actively, they are one step closer to abandoning the game altogether. 

That Xfire user base is shrinking is indeed a factor that is relevant to analyze given that a whole year passed by. I would be though surprised if it explains the whole decrease in activity.

why shoud blizzard care?

it dropped by 1 million in the summer but was back to 10 million 2 months ago - Nov 2012

Because any information indicating that the future may not be bright, is to varying degree of concern for the affected company. Heck, if I were them, I would start a propaganda campaign as well and refuting the results of XFire would be one of them: as in showing that the activity decrease does not even remotely match the decrease among all players (which is data they should have). Any measurement that goes against the game is bad, so if one has the information to refute them, why not? Takes 30 minutes of their time, max.

if Blizzard reacts to Xfire - Blizzard also validates Xfire

why should Blizzard give Xfire any press?

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97

Unless my Stat 101 book is suddenly out of date, XFire meets the criteria of a 'random sample' for decline / incline of games.

Whether the ANALYSIS of the sample is statistically sound or not is another issue.

Unless we go down the 'But you have to DO STUFF' argument again (thus voiding every survey / poll done ever), it is statisitically a sound sample.

The problem with all survey's is that they ignore the apathetic masses.  The installation of XFire connotes an above average interest imo.  

It is not a problem when the non-apathetic part of the population think more or less the same as the apathetic part of the population, which has been shown to be true at least in case of political voting polls.

citation please? 

why shoud blizzard care?

i Blizzard reacts to Xfire - Blizzard also validates Xfire

So you are saying that proving someone wrong, validates the results of what was proven wrong?

citation please? 

Do you have an example of any major polling institute that was extremely wrong when it came to the Obama re-election voting percentages?

citation please? 

Do you have an example of any major polling institute that was extremely wrong when it came to the Obama re-election voting percentages?

I live in the UK, and I have seen parties come into power against polls due to voter apathy, repeatedly.  

citation please? 

I live in the UK, and I have seen parties come into power against polls due to voter apathy, repeatedly.  

I see. To what extent were the polls wrong? Did they get  over twice as many votes as the polls had indicated?

citation please? 

I see. To what extent were the polls wrong? Did they get  over twice as many votes as the polls had indicated?

Splitting hairs now. The point stands.  

So you are saying that proving someone wrong, validates the results of what was proven wrong?

when i say validate

i mean it shows that Blizzard cares about Xfire and takes it seriously (which they dont)

when DFC claimed LOL was the #1 online PC game in the world

http://www.prweb.com/releases/dfc/xfire/prweb9684487.htm

i dont recall Blizzard reacting at all - they ignored it

Blizzard has never discussed Xfire to the public, why should they start now?

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

I left after only a month.  Game was way to easy and way to casual to hold my interest.  Getting rid of the trinity is fine, but what they put in its place with the down state was horrible.  The culling in wvwvw is what took the last bit of fun I was having out of it.

Finished with a lvl 80 guardian in full exotics which I was able to get in about 2 days from the stupid easy dungeons.  It could have been my build was broken as hell, but i could grab a pug and take them through most dungeons with no deaths on their first run.  - stupid easy

• ThububThubub Member UncommonPosts: 62

Do we really need a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square?

As to the topic, played for two months then quit because it is very boring and repetative.   WoW kept me paying a subscription on and off for years.  I don't pay anything monthly for this and uninstalled it after only a couple months.  Very shallow game.

citation please? 

I do not know how the UK election works. If for example, a system requires 5% of the votes for a party to enter the government, then a poll showing that a party has 4.5% of the votes would not be inaccurate if the party gained 5.1% of the votes in the real election. If, however, that party gained 9% of the votes despite polls showing 4.5%, then I would consider that to be an inaccurate poll. 

when i say validate

i mean it shows that Blizzard cares about Xfire and takes it seriously (which they dont)

Were DFC wrong though? I wouldn't see the point in reacting to the statement unless they could prove them wrong. Given the upswing of social media and community, I wouldn't see it as a wrong path for them to have a form of PR staff to get engaged in such situations. Even if it is to just simply congratulate the competitors. 

when i say validate

Were DFC wrong though? I wouldn't see the point in reacting to the statement unless they could prove them wrong. Given the upswing of social media and community, I wouldn't see it as a wrong path for them to have a form of PR staff to get engaged in such situations. Even if it is to just simply congratuate the competitors. 

WOW used to the #1 game on Xfire until  LOL overtook it

from your reasoning, Blizzard should have cared when that happened - and downplay why it happened

personally, I saw the whole DFC / Xfire announcment as nothing more than self promotion for both their services

when i say validate

Were DFC wrong though? I wouldn't see the point in reacting to the statement unless they could prove them wrong. Given the upswing of social media and community, I wouldn't see it as a wrong path for them to have a form of PR staff to get engaged in such situations. Even if it is to just simply congratuate the competitors. 

WOW used to the #1 game on Xfire until  LOL overtook it

from your reasoning, Blizzard should have cared when that happened - and downplay why it happened

personally, I saw the whole DFC / Xfire announcment as nothing more than self promotion for both their services

If LoL's actual activity is indeed lower than Blizzards activity, then yeah Blizzard could have stepped in and shown them to be wrong. Given that it takes max 30 minutes for a PR person to do a such statement: why not? However, if LoL has indeed higher activity, then Blizzard has no good reason to downplay it. 

from that report link:

The new report is part of an ongoing initiative between DFC Intelligence and Xfire to better understand the products that core PC gamers interact with.

sorry everyone about going way offtopic but thats how all Xfire discussions go  ;)

from that report link:

The new report is part of an ongoing initiative between DFC Intelligence and Xfire to better understand the products that core PC gamers interact with.

sorry everyone about going way offtopic but thats how all Xfire discussions go  ;)

It is very much on topic since the opening topic post stated following: "So now that the game has sold 3 million, what are peoples opinions on it's relative success or dissapointments in comparison to recent themepark mmo's and people, still playing there views on the state of the game."

The relative success of GW2 is dependant on WOW's success. WOW's success, is in my opinion to an extent dependant on how its PR staff works. So yeah, it is on topic.

threads in the past were often closed when Xfire was brought up

theres a current sticked thread in the pub for discussion of Xfire

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/373008/XFire-As-MMO-population-estimation-tool.html

I think Gaihunters post is good example of the flaws of Xfire

WOW Jan 2013 showing a huge drop since Jan 2012

- yet Blizzard has approx the same amount subs around 10m  (as seen from Nov 2012)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120552-World-of-Warcraft-Subscriptions-Rise-to-10-Million

I reposted this discrepancy to the Xfire discussion link

citation please? 

I do not know how the UK election works. If for example, a system requires 5% of the votes for a party to enter the government, then a poll showing that a party has 4.5% of the votes would not be inaccurate if the party gained 5.1% of the votes in the real election. If, however, that party gained 9% of the votes despite polls showing 4.5%, then I would consider that to be an inaccurate poll. 

It is first past the post.  Like the US there are swing states (counties).  The conservatives generally appeal to the more affluent regular voters (although they have a smaller share of the overall vote) and Labour appeal to the less affluent more apathetic majority.   Gross generalisation but true.  Similar to Republicans and Democrats.  

But I see your point.  

• CatibrieCatibrie Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Servers are still heavy or full. No low population on any server. I am still loving the game and dont see me leaving any time soon. Lots to do end game and by far one of the best MMOs ever to come out. Its in my top 4, EQ1, WoW, DAoC and GW2. 
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I remember posting in a thread about how many accounts we estimated that GW2 would have after a few months. Did that thread ever get dug up and the results compared?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    I remember posting in a thread about how many accounts we estimated that GW2 would have after a few months. Did that thread ever get dug up and the results compared?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4634697#4634697

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by eyelolled

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4634697#4634697

Good joke, Loktofeit! :)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.