Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"IF" you could...

AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173

completely and utterly erase all your knowledge, memories, experiences, and views on all the MMO's in the world to make it to where you are a complete mmo "virgin". Would you do it? 

For me, it's an easy yes. I've been playing MMO's for 6 or so years now and quite frankly i cant seem to stick to one game for longer than a trial nowadays. I feel like i've seen it all, played it all, and experienced it all. When i first started playing them they were so amazing and new to me, now they are all just the same to me. So if you could completely forget MMO's ever existed, would you? Something to think about for you all. 

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Hell no. I am glad I got to enjoy a couple of great games before the age of end game and cookie cutter games started. After playing those games I don't think its a bad thing that I demand more. It's like asking me if I want to forget owning and driving that nice lambo just because I drive a g6 now. You probably don't understand and feel that you have played and experienced it all, but you haven't. The last 6 years haven't been to innovative.
  • AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173
    I think you misunderstood my point good sir, the point of forgetting would be to enjoy it all once more. Maybe some done find that to be a rather pleasuring idea, but to me, it is. 

The problem is, the ones I enjoyed have either changed for been long gone for some time. So again, for me, no! Cause I can't replay them :(

If I could still play them... then still no because I'd probably still be enjoying them anyways hahah, yes I am stubborn. I am sure others will share your perspective though.

No, not stubborn, the purpose of this wasnt to force my opinion on others but to learn the opinion of others, as i being the age i am, was too young when the real legends was out to play them(EQ1, DAoC, UO, etc etc) so my experiences are far different. 
  • A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

I'm thinking they should try changing the new games. Not just make the same wheel again, again and again. But now that everything feels like 90% same as the next mmorpg, the games tend to blend into a mass and no game hits like a sledge anymore. 

We gamers value the memories from our gaming days, would be silly to throw them away just because the gaming industry is slacking. Besides, with few years of gaming experience one can easily avoid the bad apples and try focusing on the rare gems.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

If you feel like you've done it all, then the solution is to go way off the beaten path and play a weird game that really isn't much like anything else on the market.  For example, A Tale in the Desert or Uncharted Waters Online.

Just don't give up when you're still confused after the first five minutes.  Or five hours.  Or days.  If you're unwilling to take the time to learn something new, then you deserve to be consigned to play clones forever.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by AgentAnarkii
    No, not stubborn, the purpose of this wasnt to force my opinion on others but to learn the opinion of others, as i being the age i am, was too young when the real legends was out to play them(EQ1, DAoC, UO, etc etc) so my experiences are far different. 

I highly recommend forcing your opinion/will on others. Let your anger fuel your strength and join us on the dark side.

I still hold alot of the same perspectives as when I first started playing mmo's, but that's just because I like to discover. I don't bother rushing or trying to be the best. I just try to enjoy each moment within whatever game I'm playing.  Some moments are easier to take than others.  I don't think I'd want to start over.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by Quizzical

If you feel like you've done it all, then the solution is to go way off the beaten path and play a weird game that really isn't much like anything else on the market.  For example, A Tale in the Desert or Uncharted Waters Online.

Just don't give up when you're still confused after the first five minutes.  Or five hours.  Or days.  If you're unwilling to take the time to learn something new, then you deserve to be consigned to play clones forever.

I feel as if this is some sort of insult... hmm...

I second this. Also try Dofus or Wakfu.

I feel as if this is some sort of insult... hmm...

Not an insult. Those games are different!

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I've had too much fun and met way too many people to forget.  I've enjoyed my ~22 years in MMOs :)
    Different, and while i've done my fair share of googling/researching of both, doesnt seem to have many player...whats the point of a Massivlely "Multi"player game, when there are no players my friend?
  • Baramos79Baramos79 Member Posts: 73
    For me it is an easy NO.  I would never in a million years trade my ultima online mmo cherry popping experience to be a "mmo virgin" again with all of the mediocre games out there today.  I am completely jaded beyond belief now and would love to be a noob like I once was, but I could never bring myself to do it even if it was actually possible.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I would have to say no. If I did, I might think today's MMOs were good. I would think that shallow games were all that and more. I would not have had the experience of playing a truly deep MMORPG in a fully fleshed out world where I was free to explore to my hearts content, making my mistakes along the way and learning from said mistakes.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Different, and while i've done my fair share of googling/researching of both, doesnt seem to have many player...whats the point of a Massivlely "Multi"player game, when there are no players my friend?

I didn't say popular! hahah, personally I don't care for ATITD at all. But that game and others do play differently. Even if some elements appear the same, the core is different.

The core is different? I feel that only applies to games such as ATITD, and the like. 
  • FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80

completely and utterly erase all your knowledge, memories, experiences, and views on all the MMO's in the world to make it to where you are a complete mmo "virgin". Would you do it? 

For me, it's an easy yes. I've been playing MMO's for 6 or so years now and quite frankly i cant seem to stick to one game for longer than a trial nowadays. I feel like i've seen it all, played it all, and experienced it all. When i first started playing them they were so amazing and new to me, now they are all just the same to me. So if you could completely forget MMO's ever existed, would you? Something to think about for you all. 

I would have to say no. The problem is not us, it's the developers/publishers. They seemed to have forgotten what makes games fun and why they're in the gaming industry in the first place. Now, they treat games as purely business so it's all about "getting that piece of the pie". There's just a major lack of creativity nowadays, and poor implementations of business models. I don't necessarily want to "go back", I want things to "move forward".

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Hell no, i would never be able to recover any memories or great times in today's mmorpg's. Just as not much fun as older games. I care less about eye candy and story, i want a real mmorpg, not a dog leash. So many issues with the new age mmorpg's its not even funny.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    I think you misunderstood my point good sir, the point of forgetting would be to enjoy it all once more. Maybe some done find that to be a rather pleasuring idea, but to me, it is. 

Ok but that is a gamble. On one hand you have good memories of fun times. The fact is the MMO genre has changed a lot over the years and there s no guarantee that approaching genre as a virgin would create new equally good memories or good times.  I find today's mmo's lacking in promoting engaging community. For me that is key. Without that I doubt I would find the genre as exciting as it used to be for me.

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97
    I would play vanilla wow again but then quit the genre.  
  • IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Not a chance.  I met quite a few people in the bygone age of MMOs that I still keep in touch with.  Today's players are not interested in this kind of interaction.  It's one of the reasons why I don't really play mmos anymore.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-