Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 million copies sold since august general consensus so far

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I think if they did one thing, they found B2P is an effective cash cow in getting people to pay in bulk and then operate like a F2P game. Even if people aren't playing (which i'll bet a good majority of the sales aren't actively on the game or only play very rarely, maybe for events) they still made their money's worth and the cash shop works just like a standerd F2P cash shop though with a bit more potential to milk money with gems to money (Granted with nothing much to really 'work for' its probably not highly used at least, and the cosmetic section seems a bit unexplored to my surprise in trying to bring in more cash). Still hard to say as there are more games going F2P with really attractive models providing basically the same freedom without a box cost (granted many have restrictions on it nudging to pay, blame gold sellers otherwise I'm sure most of that wouldn't be in place).

As for me, I found it to be quite underwhelming, to the point its probably the worst AAA MMO title I've purchased (which btw does NOT mean its aweful or anything, just in the AAA market its on the negative end). The lack of real progression or character development topped with a combat system that feels a bit clunky and provides little to no challenge at all in play (don't try throwing in dodge, I'll point you to several dozen games that have a far better dodge system and I can even give you an MMo that handles combat better) it just doesn't have appeal.  Outside that it just didn't offer anything new, just repackaged in a slightly different way.

Again, not saying its a bad game, and hell if it was like the secret world in trying to do something different I'd probably think much more highly of the game despite it being to boring/not my style to play. The fact it is a fantasy just helps to dule out the appeal of this game for me completely.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by EnigmaticE

Are people really debating the depth of combat GW2 vs the competition?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=B_zMPcT2jgc#t=14s

Anyone care to retort against GW2's combat superiority now? 

Great video.

That+combos is a great combat mechanic in GW2.

Basically that video is comparing 

Vs 

http://www.carinsurancecomparison.com/Images/Ford-Mustang.jpg ((Sorry lack of a small picture)

Of course its going to appear a lot better. An older game will NOT compete for combat systems over a newer game. Heck, look at even games that continue that combat system like Rift or SWTOR. They have both found ways to make the system more advanced and changed up just how they function and with better graphics how things appear.

• nerbonnerbon Member Posts: 28
    bots in planetside 2 ?
    they farm what?
    but gw2 still has more bots then real players

anyway gw1 combat was the best with all those skills and second proff
    gw 2 combat is just boring 3 skills spam
  • Camaro68Camaro68 Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by xArsonistx

these are just copies sold which i can believe but i can tell you that there is no where near that about of people playing this game.  I played the game religeously since release I do believe at one point the game did have atleast 400k concurrent users thats about the only statement I heard to be true from them. At this point  I believe the game may only have at best 50k concurrent users. I actually believe it to be less 15-20k but im being nice.

All of the servers are more or less dead. Only 2 servers on NA an EU can barely fill WvW on a reset. all of the zones are empty with events that cant be completed when exploring you pretty much only see bots. Where are these people? they have a milllion people doing fractals? I don't think so. I would also point out that SPVP is a ghost town and might i remind you that spvp browser is your region so yup when you see only 200 people in the broswer thats it for all of north america which is pretty bad.  Sorry I am not seeing the numbers they are coming up with.

I think the game is in a lot of trouble.

Checked xfire's history and GW2's had an incredibly steep population decline:

On July 15th, 2012 SWTOR had 10015 hours played.

On January 17th, 2013 GW2 had 10987 hours played.

Here we've got a game with no sub fee losing players faster than a game with a sub fee.  The days of a quality developer slapping together a WoW clone and raking in the cash are long gone.  All GW2 has for revenue is box sales and a cash shop full of generic fantasy MMO gear.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Purutzil

As for me, I found it to be quite underwhelming, to the point its probably the worst AAA MMO title I've purchased (which btw does NOT mean its aweful or anything, just in the AAA market its on the negative end).

im not saying you are wrong - it is your opinion

but did you buy Anarchy Online, AOC, Warhammer when they released ?  worst is a stong word

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by Camaro68

these are just copies sold which i can believe but i can tell you that there is no where near that about of people playing this game.  I played the game religeously since release I do believe at one point the game did have atleast 400k concurrent users thats about the only statement I heard to be true from them. At this point  I believe the game may only have at best 50k concurrent users. I actually believe it to be less 15-20k but im being nice.

All of the servers are more or less dead. Only 2 servers on NA an EU can barely fill WvW on a reset. all of the zones are empty with events that cant be completed when exploring you pretty much only see bots. Where are these people? they have a milllion people doing fractals? I don't think so. I would also point out that SPVP is a ghost town and might i remind you that spvp browser is your region so yup when you see only 200 people in the broswer thats it for all of north america which is pretty bad.  Sorry I am not seeing the numbers they are coming up with.

Here we've got a game with no sub fee losing players faster than a game with a sub fee.  The days of a quality developer slapping together a WoW clone and raking in the cash are long gone.  All GW2 has for revenue is box sales and a cash shop full of generic fantasy MMO gear.

Xfire huh? So do you have the stats that show what percentage of the entire GW2 playerbase actually uses that? Personally I don't use it and I don't know anyone who does. Yet forum goers seem to hold it up like it's the holy grail of seeing how much people play MMO's.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by nerbon
    bots in planetside 2 ? they farm what? but gw2 still has more bots then real players anyway gw1 combat was the best with all those skills and second proff gw 2 combat is just boring 3 skills spam

I have not seen any bots in GW2 in a long while - playing the game or still hoping it is true.

The second profession in GW1 is was made it hard to balance the game, hence they did away with the 2ndary profession (A.Net  developer admitted that in an interview and that is why they went this way). There were so many useless skills in GW!, ever find a use for Malaise or Wither? There were so many skills in GW1 that never got used because they made no sense and were sospecific to one situation to make them useless.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by nukempro

Xfire huh? So do you have the stats that show what percentage of the entire GW2 playerbase actually uses that? Personally I don't use it and I don't know anyone who does. Yet forum goers seem to hold it up like it's the holy grail of seeing how much people play MMO's.

Xfire shows a decline / incline of a portion of the playerbase across games.

Statistically speaking, it is large / good enough to be a 'random sample'.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

you can see the statistic on xfire...
    or do you think only xfire players got bored smashing 3 buttons
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by jpnz

XFire can be many things.

One thing XFire isn't is a random sample.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

LOL another XFire wacko. Sorry - XFire is used for determining XFire players not the population in a game. That is any game - you must be desparate to prove yourself right if you trot XFire out.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

It's a random sample, a random sample of what x-fire users do.image

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

July.

What is July?

Oh wait, July is a summer month with no School.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    you can see the statistic on xfire... or do you think only xfire players got bored smashing 3 buttons

hmm

i think they grew bored because they were doing wrong.  I enjoy the combat, and use a wee bit more than 3 buttons image

Originally posted by botrytis

these are just copies sold which i can believe but i can tell you that there is no where near that about of people playing this game.  I played the game religeously since release I do believe at one point the game did have atleast 400k concurrent users thats about the only statement I heard to be true from them. At this point  I believe the game may only have at best 50k concurrent users. I actually believe it to be less 15-20k but im being nice.   All of the servers are more or less dead. Only 2 servers on NA an EU can barely fill WvW on a reset. all of the zones are empty with events that cant be completed when exploring you pretty much only see bots. Where are these people? they have a milllion people doing fractals? I don't think so. I would also point out that SPVP is a ghost town and might i remind you that spvp browser is your region so yup when you see only 200 people in the broswer thats it for all of north america which is pretty bad.  Sorry I am not seeing the numbers they are coming up with. I think the game is in a lot of trouble.  

LOL another XFire wacko. Sorry - XFire is used for determining XFire players not the population in a game. That is any game - you must be desparate to prove yourself right if you trot XFire out.

so enlighten me plz what xfire does?

XFire is not random. Random would mean just that - a random sample of people. That is what is done with specific polls, etc. You have to install XFire, so it is not random. Statistically speaking it is good for determining what XFire users do nothing else. If you say it is large enough, how many players of GW2 (make it in %) use XFire? If you don't know then the number means absolutely squat nothing when talking about the population of any game.

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76

Just to clarify, I am not saying you are wrong..I am just saying there is no evidence you are right either. I happen to take the xfire thing with a grain of salt. You of course are free to believe whatever you like! On a side note, I am dissapointed in GW2 and don't really play at all anymore. I am hoping an expansion entices me back. Also would like to point out that as GW2 doesn't have a sub...it can't actually "Lose" players in the same sense as a sub mmo.

And the facts backing that it isn't a random sample is...???

Last I checked, Xfire is fairly large across multiple games (esp GW2) to be considered a 'sample'.

It has no 'bias selection' for any one game (be it LoL or GW2 or D3 or WoW or w/e) which satisfies the 'an equal chance of being selected from the entire population'.

Whether the analysis done on the random sample is correct or not is another issue, from a pure stats point of view, it matches all the criteria of a 'random sample'.

'But you have to install it!' is a hilarious argument. By this logic, 'you have to answer the phone / fill out a paper / talk to someone' can be used against every survey done.

I mean c'mon.. this is Stat 101. -.-

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by Marcus-

you can see the statistic on xfire... or do you think only xfire players got bored smashing 3 buttons

hmm

i think they grew bored because they were doing wrong.  I enjoy the combat, and use a wee bit more than 3 buttons image

and push them
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

its software that a player can install on their PC -- it keeps track of their gametime, Raptr does the same thing

ongoing Xfire discussion

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/373008/XFire-As-MMO-population-estimation-tool.html

And the facts backing that it isn't a random sample is...???

Last I checked, Xfire is fairly large across multiple games (esp GW2) to be considered a 'sample'.

It has no 'bias selection' for any one game (be it LoL or GW2 or D3 or WoW or w/e) which satisfies the 'an equal chance of being selected from the entire population'.

Whether the analysis done on the random sample is correct or not is another issue, from a pure stats point of view, it matches all the criteria of a 'random sample'.

'But you have to install it!' is a hilarious argument. By this logic, 'you have to answer the phone / fill out a paper / talk to someone' can be used against every survey done.

I mean c'mon.. this is Stat 101. -.-

It is biased, if you have to install it - that is a bias. That is STATS 101 - really.

Originally posted by Nadia

its software that a player can install on their PC -- it keeps track of their gametime, Raptr does the same thing

ongoing Xfire discussion

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/373008/XFire-As-MMO-population-estimation-tool.html

well it sounds like xfire players are less lazy then overage

It is biased, if you have to install it - that is a bias. That is STATS 101 - really.

Cool story bro, if you want to deny every survey done ever, go right ahead.

ROFL!

Gdemami -

Originally posted by Marcus-

hmm

Or log into Rift or WoW - get confused with all the skill bars and what they do - try to macro things to make it to 10 buttons. OH WAIT GW2 already has only 10 - WOW so much easier to play.

Cool story bro, if you want to deny every survey done ever, go right ahead.

ROFL!

What survey has you install a program BEFORE you are counted?

"A statistic is biased if it is calculated in such a way that is systematically different from the population parameter of interest. The following lists some types of, or aspects of, bias which should not be considered mutually exclusive:

• Selection bias, where individuals or groups are more likely to take part in a research project than others, resulting in biased samples. This can also be termed Berksonian bias.[1]
    • The bias of an estimator is the difference between an estimator's expectations and the true value of the parameter being estimated.
      • Omitted-variable bias is the bias that appears in estimates of parameters in a regression analysis when the assumed specification is incorrect, in that it omits an independent variable that should be in the model.
    • In statistical hypothesis testing, a test is said to be unbiased when the probability of rejecting the null hypothesis is less than or equal to the significance level when the null hypothesis is true, and the probability of rejecting the null hypothesis is greater than or equal to the significance level when the alternative hypothesis is true,
    • Detection bias is where a phenomenon is more likely to be observed and/or reported for a particular set of study subjects. For instance, the syndemic involving obesity and diabetes may mean doctors are more likely to look for diabetes in obese patients than in less overweight patients, leading to an inflation in diabetes among obese patients because of skewed detection efforts.
    • Funding bias may lead to selection of outcomes, test samples, or test procedures that favor a study's financial sponsor.
    • Reporting bias involves a skew in the availability of data, such that observations of a certain kind may be more likely to be reported and consequently used in research.
    • Data-snooping bias comes from the misuse of data mining techniques.
    • Analytical bias arise due to the way that the results are evaluated.
    • Exclusion bias arise due to the systematic inclusion of certain individuals from the study."

Just an FYI from a basic stats explanation website. XFire could be considered a Berksonian bias.