Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Free to play changes to VG.

nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
Greetings all!

I thought it was about time to update everyone on what's been happening on the development side of Vanguard®. As the team returned from the holidays, we started working on fixing more of the low hanging fruit. The fruit I refer to are the bug fixes that players have asked about that we can get out quickly as we work on larger tasks in the background. Some of these things include fixes for quests, spells and abilities, and epic weapons, as well as making it take less time to earn rewards from some of the major factions in the game. There has also been some work done on crafting and diplomacy that we aren't ready to release details on yet, but we will be telling you about them in the near future.

Speaking of larger tasks in the background, we have been working on something that has come up multiple times in threads on the forums. That is, how do we make it even easier for people to come back to Vanguard to see all the changes that we've been making? Well, after a lot of discussion and debate, we've decided to do something pretty awesome. We have decided to expand and improve on the free- to-play offering for Vanguard. That means everyone can play any race, any class, to any level for free. You can also own a house, create guilds, and do a bunch of other things. Why did we decide to do this? Because we all believe that once you start playing the game without restrictions, you'll want to keep playing and will find our Membership option to be an even greater value!

Why?

Because of the perks we are adding for your membership! Membership should be something you get on top of the game you are playing, not something you have to do to have fun. With that said, there will be increased XP and faction gains, discounts on broker fees, the ability to purchase additional housing plots, and other exciting benefits. You can see all the membership benefits here.

Talk to you all again soon and see you in-game!

Harvey "Rahtiz" Burgess
Producer

Link to new matrix and its live as of 1/17/2013

http://www.vanguardthegame.com/free.vm

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    the cliffnotes:
    everyone can play any race, any class, to any level for free. You can also own a house, create guilds, and do a bunch of other things.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    something is wrong w this sites editor - its not recognizing new lines
  • TorgirTorgir Member Posts: 27
    Looked great until I got to the part where I'm not allowed to use most higher than blue items as a free player. Ridiculous limitation and sadly in line with other SOE f2p titles. Now I understand that you have to make money from something but poor f2p model is a poor model. If you're planning on attractive membership benefits, please review the free player deal.
  • nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

Thats the link to the Free to play matrix Sorry but this site is not spacing things out at all.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Torgir

Looked great until I got to the part where I'm not allowed to use most higher than blue items as a free player. Ridiculous limitation and sadly in line with other SOE f2p titles. Now I understand that you have to make money from something but poor f2p model is a poor model. If you're planning on attractive membership benefits, please review the free player deal.

well here's the thing..they want you to spend a little money.also you can still get to max lvl with blues easy without spending a cent.then decide what you want to do..personally i think its a great idea
  • khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

IDK, the limitation isn't that bad now. Its a shame you can't use all gear, but I am pretty sure you can still enjoy the game now for free. How they had it before was horrible, I will try it out now.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by nolic1

Greetings all!

I thought it was about time to update everyone on what's been happening on the development side of Vanguard®. As the team returned from the holidays, we started working on fixing more of the low hanging fruit. The fruit I refer to are the bug fixes that players have asked about that we can get out quickly as we work on larger tasks in the background. Some of these things include fixes for quests, spells and abilities, and epic weapons, as well as making it take less time to earn rewards from some of the major factions in the game. There has also been some work done on crafting and diplomacy that we aren't ready to release details on yet, but we will be telling you about them in the near future.

Speaking of larger tasks in the background, we have been working on something that has come up multiple times in threads on the forums. That is, how do we make it even easier for people to come back to Vanguard to see all the changes that we've been making? Well, after a lot of discussion and debate, we've decided to do something pretty awesome. We have decided to expand and improve on the free- to-play offering for Vanguard. That means everyone can play any race, any class, to any level for free. You can also own a house, create guilds, and do a bunch of other things. Why did we decide to do this? Because we all believe that once you start playing the game without restrictions, you'll want to keep playing and will find our Membership option to be an even greater value!

Why?

Because of the perks we are adding for your membership! Membership should be something you get on top of the game you are playing, not something you have to do to have fun. With that said, there will be increased XP and faction gains, discounts on broker fees, the ability to purchase additional housing plots, and other exciting benefits. You can see all the membership benefits here.

Talk to you all again soon and see you in-game!

Harvey "Rahtiz" Burgess
    Producer

Link to new matrix and its live as of 1/17/2013

translation :" we improved it the freebies experience 3X but we also improved the subscriber experience 6X so the freebies will have the ilusion of "OMG!less restriction!" and them they will realize that the gap between him and the subscriber player is even greater, and guess what? NO ONE WANTS TO BE LEFT BEHIND!
    We also dumbed down the game further and even mention the EPIC FACTION WEAPONS are EASIER to get (OMG L33t lOOT!) so we can atract the lowest common denominator aka wowswtor player to play our game and hopéfully milk him. we also do not care if we alienate our fan base or flee from the original vision as they only hinder our holy profit. have a good day.
  • jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

I'm curious. Knowing that any enterprise must turn a profit to exist, what would you suggest they do as a F2P model? As you said, they have to make money, so I'm wondering where the value threshold is that would make you or any reasonable person say "Alright, that's something I'm willing to pay money for."

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

Originally posted by jonrd463

I'm curious. Knowing that any enterprise must turn a profit to exist, what would you suggest they do as a F2P model? As you said, they have to make money, so I'm wondering where the value threshold is that would make you or any reasonable person say "Alright, that's something I'm willing to pay money for."

There's good and bad f2p models in the current market. Personally I find the b2p model with a cosmetic CS most attractive, GW2, TSW and next month TERA. Turbine has also made a lucrative model by giving the option for cheap, customizable lifetime packages, so to say. So in my opinion a b2p Vanguard relaunch should've been at least on the table as a viable option. Again, this isn't the company line of doing things so it's probably out of the question.
  • NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133
    SoE and free cookies? Nope. And VG F2P terms now are actually better then SWTOR ones so guess i'll try it.
  • BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    torgir, tsabohavoc:
    *.... must .... keep .... it .... must .... not ....comment ....on their .... posts*
    sorry folks I am not able to keep away from commenting, so here it is: thank you that you dont like the f2p changes. i really dont want to meet people like you in the game.

you got almost everything possible for free and you are bitching that it is not enough? give me a break
  • ukkoylijumalukkoylijumal Member Posts: 8
    Well just look at DDO or lotro. Ability to unlock things permanently. Paying 5-10 bucks for content I know I can use free forever is not a bad thing. But paying everytime you find good item you want to use seems just greed to me. But that is just my opinion. I have spent more than I would have ever paid as a subscription in those games with that model.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I tryed this game recently and uninstalled about 2 hours after. The game is not my cup of tea for these reasons:

Terrible graphics,
    Clunky animations,
    slow combat,
    Terrible sound effects,
    and rubber banding.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by ukkoylijumal

Well just look at DDO or lotro. Ability to unlock things permanently. Paying 5-10 bucks for content I know I can use free forever is not a bad thing. But paying everytime you find good item you want to use seems just greed to me. But that is just my opinion. I have spent more than I would have ever paid as a subscription in those games with that model.

Oh boy, here come the DDO/Lotro people. Lotro pretty much requires you to pay once you are out of the starter area (no quests at all). In a quest hub game that's a big thing to not have.

In LOTRO I quit the moment I left the starter area when I realized that mob grinding was the only way to play for free.

These changes to VG are about as good as they can make it and still make some money.
    Originally posted by Benedikt

torgir, tsabohavoc:

*.... must .... keep .... it .... must .... not ....comment ....on their .... posts*

sorry folks I am not able to keep away from commenting, so here it is: thank you that you dont like the f2p changes. i really dont want to meat people like you in the game.

you got almost everything possible for free and you are bitching that it is not enough? give me a break

I'm discussing this f2p model in light of competition in the market which is what I consider proper for the topic. These things do tend to get pretty personal fast and no, I'm not.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    not wanting to insult people but anyone that uses the term ridiculous limitations,greed etc.should really look in the mirror..you want everything for nothing and then bitch and moan about how the game is.that is greed of the highest order.you people should not be allowed near games has you serve no purpose to the community or the game itself.it costs millions to make these games and your asked to part with a few bucks.have to this is what gaming has turned into these days..a bunch of freeloaders.
  • TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

torgir, tsabohavoc:

sorry folks I am not able to keep away from commenting, so here it is: thank you that you dont like the f2p changes. i really dont want to meat people like you in the game.

I'm discussing this f2p model in light of competition in the market which is what I consider proper for the topic. These things do tend to get pretty personal fast and no, I'm not.

im not complaining of f2p restrictions (also i dislike any like "f2P" model), what i dislike is hipocrisy and greed.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Sorry Vanguard, I had high hopes from the beginning, but years of neglect can't be made up for by a very badly done B2P model. When are you people gonna realize that no one can play the game with the stupid limitations you set? It's like how on EQ I tried the F2P version, you can't even get enough money to buy gear because of coin limitations.

Crap like that has no place if you want F2P to work.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by kevjards

not wanting to insult people but anyone that uses the term ridiculous limitations,greed etc.should really look in the mirror..you want everything for nothing and then bitch and moan about how the game is.that is greed of the highest order.you people should not be allowed near games has you serve no purpose to the community or the game itself.it costs millions to make these games and your asked to part with a few bucks.have to this is what gaming has turned into these days..a bunch of freeloaders.

Oh come on, now you're just trolling. This isn't the point - the point is that we're talking about a f2p model. There's two options to play: free or the traditional subscription. As there are currently some very viable f2p/b2p solutions, it's a valid argument to question the validity of such f2p model where the free component is lacking. It's not even lacking much: as per my first post, I'm speaking of one feature that strikes me as misplaced. There's hardly need to get your blood pressure into the danger zone for this.
  • ukkoylijumalukkoylijumal Member Posts: 8
    Really now SoE should be happy to get 5 bucks from me. Now they get nothing. Getting lots of people with just few bucks is what makes them money. I could spend 20 bucks to unlock those items restrictions permanently but its not an option last time I checked. Giving players different options to pay is what most players are looking for.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Sorry Vanguard, I had high hopes from the beginning, but years of neglect can't be made up for by a very badly done B2P model. When are you people gonna realize that no one can play the game with the stupid limitations you set? It's like how on EQ I tried the F2P version, you can't even get enough money to buy gear because of coin limitations.

You can level up (through countless amounts of content) which can take quite some time and not run into an item you need to unlock, in EQ. I really wonder about people and what they claim is unplayable...

So SOE lifts some restrictions and people act like they added more...lol.
  • GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by jonrd463

There's good and bad f2p models in the current market. Personally I find the b2p model with a cosmetic CS most attractive, GW2, TSW and next month TERA. Turbine has also made a lucrative model by giving the option for cheap, customizable lifetime packages, so to say. So in my opinion a b2p Vanguard relaunch should've been at least on the table as a viable option. Again, this isn't the company line of doing things so it's probably out of the question.

The problem with B2P and cosmetic CS options is that they really only work with games holding a large playerbase. Most players are NOT going to spend money on cosmetic crap. I won't, and none of my friends do. So those games rely on large playerbases to get enough of a sample group to GET those sales. When dealing with a smaller game needing to grow into a stage where real development is possible again, you need actual player support. Of all the games I've seen come from that background, this is the best model I've seen.

The GW 2 model works from launch, on a largely sought after title. It will not generate the revenue needed to work on a small game.

This is not guesswork either, its fairly obvious to anyone who understands the market at all. So I'd like you to approach this again, and tell me what OTHER model you think would be better than the one they are providing in THIS situation. A game with a small playerbase that is on the decline and needs a financial boost and consumer growth to remain sustainable.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Mardukk

You can level up (through countless amounts of content) which can take quite some time and not run into an item you need to unlock, in EQ. I really wonder about people and what they claim is unplayable...

You missed the point entirely. When I log onto Vanguard, which I paid full price for, and I can't play any of my old characters because of gear restrictions, who does that punish? The greedy turd or the loyal customer who bought it and played for almost a year. I gave them more money than they are going to make on 90% of these F2P players, so what is my incentive to play if I can't play my characters because they are all half naked? Gear restrictions are silly. Coin limitations are silly (in pretty much every SoE title) It's just bad business.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

torgir, tsabohavoc:

im not complaining of f2p restrictions (also i dislike any like "f2P" model), what i dislike is hipocrisy and greed.

i never understood this attitude:

how can someone ever bitch that "what he got FOR FREE" is not enough? are you living in some mysterious unknown haven where you are used to get everything for free? me, when i get something for free, i am grateful for that, not saying "i want more, this is not enough!". when i want to play a game, i understand that have to PAY for it, if i can play it (with limitations) without paying, its just a bonus.

sorry about the rant, but i am getting really sick of the ungrateful f2p players
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Originally posted by Mardukk

You missed the point entirely. When I log onto Vanguard, which I paid full price for, and I can't play any of my old characters because of gear restrictions, who does that punish? The greedy turd or the loyal customer who bought it and played for almost a year. I gave them more money than they are going to make on 90% of these F2P players, so what is my incentive to play if I can't play my characters because they are all half naked? Gear restrictions are silly. Coin limitations are silly (in pretty much every SoE title) It's just bad business.

This is pretty much my feeling as well. Why offer a F2P version of your game if you're going to force former players into a pay to win situation? It's the same reason I stop playing EQ2. If you're going to try to entice new players to join SOE Needs to take a page out of Lineage 2, Terra, Aion and TSW's book. Don't strip your game down to appeal to free players, build it up to appeal to paying ones.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."