Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In GW2 skill matters: 4 men defeated the zerg in WvW (video)

Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-919RMwyfnk

I just saw this, and I had to share it with you guys.

Things to learn from this video:

- cooperation is the key

- profession combos can keep your team alive

- tactical retreat > greed

- Asians

Comments

• Justin83xJustin83x Member Posts: 406

I gota admit thats freaking epic!

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

Awesome video, thx for posting

"- Asians"   LOL!

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

"GW2 where 30 people are a zerg and the only thing matters is culling".

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

The zerg was not really interested in killing those 4. The 4 just retreated and more and more zerglings lost interest and returned to camp.

Gratz on attacking a zerg with 4 man and survive. But that is more or less all they acheived. They didn't beat the zerg and they didn't retake the resource camp. At least it is not shown in vid.

So, zerglings got what they wanted and ignored more or less the intervening group becasue the group retreated and zerg was on the move again.

Take same zerg and 4 man group and let them fight for the camp. Zerg wins.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

AOE'ing the crap out of a blob too stupid to move and unable to even bum rush correctly. Well when there is a disparity of skill levels between competeing sides in that order of magnitude, you will get the same result in pretty much any other game out there to be brutally honest.

Always cool to see a small group wipe out a larger one, but the fact that the zerg was so shite (even by zerg standards) stood out more for me than four people aoe'ing a choke point and dropping combos which seems pretty entry level stuff (for open pvp at least). That said, take nothing away from the group, well played to them.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    GW2 should be called AOE wars. All is see is 4 guys, running away and spaming AOEs, 4 guys in vent vs 30 random.  
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I am not a PvPer, but this video was really entertaining. Thanks for posting, OP.
  • XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

Pretty sure you are all making the point for the OP, Quality > Quanity. Also AOEs are going to be seeing some tuning soon, but I think it will just make for better strategy all around. I really like this video.

I find that I really get into battles at times, and even though I hate that I have the same 1 - 5 abilities depending on weapons, I really get into the fights and start chaining them in awesome ways to avoid damage and maximize damage output :)

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Hmm, yea this was fairly impressive. However, the group they were fighting was rather careless. Approaching them from a choke point and not making any attempt to flank them. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    They didn't really accomplish anything or displaying any outstanding maneuvers. These are things you can expect to see from Tier 6. Personally as an Ele, I would've taken Frost Bow over Arcane Blast, or at least Glyph of Storms since he is traited for Quick Glyphs.
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by doragon86
    Hmm, yea this was fairly impressive. However, the group they were fighting was rather careless. Approaching them from a choke point and not making any attempt to flank them. 

Yea, and that's why tactics and skill owned 30 people that thought man power > anything.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    to be honest it's not really a display of skill as much as coordination and then offcause AoE.

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97
    In conclusion, some people played a computer game better than some other people. Well done them.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Awesome! Good players AND good communication will always win, even if outnumbered in a balanced game like gw2.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    also •Incoming AoE ability balancing (nerf) - they are too effective right now. (from livestream yeasterday)
    wich i think this video shows well enough
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

Yea, and that's why tactics and skill owned 30 people that thought man power > anything.

If you have a group of nuggets standing there whilst you rain down aoes on them as a BW in WAR they are going to die. Would that indicate WAR is a heavily skill intensive game as opposed to a zerg train, gear game?

Pretty much every single multiplayer game out there that has included larger scale pvp of some form or not has always allowed for more skilled groups to beat less capable, larger groups from time to time. Especially if said larger group is utterly inept.

So it's cool that the group did that, it's always great to see a team trying to do that and it's cool that GW2 allows for this to be done. But not sure it really demonstrates that GW2 is highly skill centric in comparision to other typical themepark mmos. It may well be, but this doesn't really point to that as it isn't really out of the ordinary.

Maybe people buy into the whole "hurr large scale pvp is non skilled, zerging". When the fact is that pretty much every single large scale pvp game whilst zerg centric on a macro level, allows for better players to shine on an individual micro battle basis.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

If you have a group of nuggets standing there whilst you rain down aoes on them as a BW in WAR they are going to die. Would that indicate WAR is a heavily skill intensive game as opposed to a zerg train, gear game?

Pretty much every single multiplayer game out there that has included larger scale pvp of some form or not has always allowed for more skilled groups to beat less capable, larger groups from time to time. Especially if said larger group is utterly inept.

So it's cool that the group did that, it's always great to see a team trying to do that and it's cool that GW2 allows for this to be done. But not sure it really demonstrates that GW2 is highly skill centric in comparision to other typical themepark mmos. It may well be, but this doesn't really point to that as it isn't really out of the ordinary.

Maybe people buy into the whole "hurr large scale pvp is non skilled, zerging". When the fact is that pretty much every single large scale pvp game whilst zerg centric on a macro level, allows for better players to shine on an individual micro battle basis.

Sure. I didn't say GW2 is the most "skillful" game there is, I just said that skill matters in GW2, I wasn't implying that in other mmos it doesnt. That team of 4, managed to get around 10 kills while being attacked by 30 people, not many people can do it, so I thought it could be entertaining to watch so I shared it.
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    I would probably 2 hit the main ele

Just saying

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Sure. I didn't say GW2 is the most "skillful" game there is, I just said that skill matters in GW2, I wasn't implying that in other mmos it doesnt. That team of 4, managed to get around 10 kills while being attacked by 30 people, not many people can do it, so I thought it could be entertaining to watch so I shared it.

Yeah fair enough. The team did well and it was a nice video to watch so thanks for sharing.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Those guys were pretty good.  That zerg should probably never log on to an MMO again.  What's worse is that a number of the zerg members were from the same guild. 

This is also pretty strong evidence of the value staff ele's bring to the table.  IMO, they are underplayed because of the lack of "fun" factor.

If you all liked these vids, you should check out the Lords of Death or Strike Force guild videos.  Especially the hammer train vids.  Incredibly impressive display of skill, you can smell the fear on the enemy.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Pretty cool, almost half as impressive as 8 mans killing 70+ people in DAoC back in the day. Well not really, but still a really good video, thanks for the share!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    This can't be true the haters says there is only Zergs and It's impossible to run around in small groups.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's a good job they made a video, otherwise no one would no who they are just "you got killed by Mr nobody from that server your paired with today"
  • MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    This can't be true the haters says there is only Zergs and It's impossible to run around in small groups.

LOL....I was going to bring this up, but (for some reason) decided against it.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Fighting a small group is clearly not impossible, but just useless from what I gather. Yes they can fight a zerg at a choke point and come out the winner, but the question is what did they gain from it? (beside a good time offcourse :P). So from what I notice is that being in a small team can be a hell of a fun and you could do some small things on the world PvP map, but you hardly make a dent to the world PvP compared to the zerg(s).

Mah I dont know stopped playing GW2 a while ago. Might check it out soon again.