Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

gw sucks?

13»

Comments

• QuebecQuebec Member Posts: 42

The whole point of GW is 8v8 organised PvP and it does an amazing job at that. It is NOT an MMORPG like everyone is so used to these days. It has some pve to it, but rly nothin a MMORPG fan will be impressed with. Again, the whole point of this game is pvp.

The class/skills system is the most balanced EVER and there is an infinite number of strategies you can do. Being successful in GW require skill and a lot of team coordination, its pretty much like no other games in the market today.

Every spell has its use but they are all different. (execpt a few totaly useless ones) The fact you can only bring 8 skills at a time force you to really think about your skills/strategy/role in the group etc... It gets even more interesting when you start designing 8ppl team builds, you will need to make choice on wheter u bring this or that to balance every aspects of your build... It is challenging ( Talking about competitive pvp here... pve in GW is a joke)

Also, compared to most MMO, GW is pretty "twitch skills" based. You will need to make quick decisions in real time.

For example, you may be playing an interupt mesmer: you will need to be very aware of what ennemy casters are doing and have quick reflex casting your interupts. You need to communicate with your team well and be coordinated with them, watch for/kite ennemy damage dealers, watch your statue bar for Hexs on you, be careful with your energy managment etc... And all that at the same time.

This is just one example... but it may give you an idea of how much guildwars is skilled based compared to most MMO on the market.

If you were expecting a more "conventional" MMO where u slowly lvl up to lvl 60, get uber items and spells of ever increasing power, I can understand you were really disapointed with GW. On the other end, if you take the time to get into a good guild and start doing some serious pvp im pretty sure you will find some fun to it.

• CaptainRPGCaptainRPG Member Posts: 794

Originally posted by Quebec

Ehe class/skills system is the most balanced EVER and there is an infinite number of strategies you can do. Being successful in GW require skill and a lot of team coordination, its pretty much like no other games in the market today.
    Every spell has its use but they are all different. (execpt a few totaly useless ones) The fact you can only bring 8 skills at a time force you to really think about your skills/strategy/role in the group etc... It gets even more interesting when you start designing 8ppl team builds, you will need to make choice on wheter u bring this or that to balance every aspects of your build... It is challenging ( Talking about competitive pvp here... pve in GW is a joke)
    Also, compared to most MMO, GW is pretty "twitch skills" based. You will need to make quick decisions in real time.
    For example, you may be playing an interupt mesmer: you will need to be very aware of what ennemy casters are doing and have quick reflex casting your interupts. You need to communicate with your team well and be coordinated with them, watch for/kite ennemy damage dealers, watch your statue bar for Hexs on you, be careful with your energy managment etc... And all that at the same time.
    This is just one example... but it may give you an idea of how much guildwars is skilled based compared to most MMO on the market.

If you were expecting a more "conventional" MMO where u slowly lvl up to lvl 60, get uber items and spells of ever increasing power, I can understand you were really disapointed with GW. On the other end, if you take the time to get into a good guild and start doing some serious pvp im pretty sure you will find some fun to it.

This is not a example of skill or balance. Game-wise skill is your ability apply your experience and knowledge to a situation, PERIOD! You cannot redefine skill or tell other people that skill is in each game. Skill never change no matter if you are playing RTS, platform-game or RPG. Guild Wars is based on strategy, teamwork and dumb luck. Teamwork takes no effort since we are all HELP EACH OTHER get to our one goal. Anybody can beat everybody if they are using a certain class or team build with the right special moves or spells. You go into EVERY FIGHT BLIND and your fights are picked at RANDOM. You cannot switch your skills during battle and you cannot pick the areas or opponents you fight so your only way to adapt to a new situation is to plan a DEFAULT STRATEGY that'll work in all enivornments. (Thus, robotic strategy ensures.) Plus, the majority of the people you run into, even at the top ranks, haven't really played against good players.

None of the classes are balance to fight each other. A warrior can be beaten by the majority of classes in the game, including a monk. In order for a class to have a chance, they have to cross class with a better class to exploit their abilities. It's the same damn logic that is used in DnD games when you cross-class a cleric with a paladin to exploit the Divine Aura ability (Which is CHA-based attribute, which both class use) so you can have higher save points against traps and spells. People says it's a totally new concept, but it only shows how ignorant they are to the history of RPGs and MMORPGs in general. If you combine Magic: The Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons and you make PvP the main point of the game instead of PvE (Or a campaign session in pencil & paper DnD), you'll get Guild Wars.

Guild Wars did nothing new and they threw the same old shit from other games and add two new concepts: global PvP competitivism and causal-gaming enivornments. That's it, they didn't add anything new, but that's up to you, if you want to gobble up every bit of overhype you get from the other fanboys on these boards. You're agree anyway if you have if you already have your mind set on guild wars or if you are like minded so there sense of arguing it. It's not like the nay-sayers can persuade you to not play the game.

You can disagree all you like, make fun of me or ignore me, but the older generations like myself know better to give into bogus hype. I'm not denying Guild Wars is a good game. It's a decent game, but I wish all the fanboys of this board and others would just admit that Guild Wars is not an original concept and it didn't really change the MMORPG genre since NONE of the other upcoming MMORPGs are using any of GW's concepts, but then that would be like asking the Christians to admit that New Bible is still the Old Bible with a updates.

That's my two cents.

• QuebecQuebec Member Posts: 42

Im in no way saying GW is revolutionary or anything... Im not trying to convince ppl either. All I am saying is that it take a different approch. Nothing is "really" new in GW but what is done, is done very well imho. The balance is VERY good, its not about 1v1 neither is it about 4v4 (even though there is a 4v4 arena) its about 8v8. Imho GW is one of the most balanced pvp game out there.

Now, its in no way the best game out there either, it lack in many aspects and it gets old pretty quick unless you get a good pvp guild. The PvE is lacking A LOT. All I was saying is you cant look at guild wars expecting to see the same features as a MMORPG... its not. But that doesnt mean "It sucks"

• CaptainRPGCaptainRPG Member Posts: 794

Originally posted by Quebec

Im in no way saying GW is revolutionary or anything... Im not trying to convince ppl either. All I am saying is that it take a different approch. Nothing is "really" new in GW but what is done, is done very well imho. The balance is VERY good, its not about 1v1 neither is it about 4v4 (even though there is a 4v4 arena) its about 8v8. Imho GW is one of the most balanced pvp game out there.
    Now, its in no way the best game out there either, it lack in many aspects and it gets old pretty quick unless you get a good pvp guild. The PvE is lacking A LOT. All I was saying is you cant look at guild wars expecting to see the same features as a MMORPG... its not. But that doesnt mean "It sucks"

Sorry about the outburst, but I had rough day with my college American Government class pointing fingers at the government with no specifics to back up their accusations.