Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG-Fan

mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

Pre-NGE and CU...

I dont know how it will be in Repopulation but please copy those things I found are one of the best features of the game.

1. crafting

2. ressource gathering (one of the best ever!)

3. armor system (no best armor for everything)

4. damage system (to red, green and blue) combined with the armor system

5. campsides

there are/were a lot of other cool things, but those were the best in my opinion, and I dont know why, ANY other game since then copied that.

why do you make the housing instanced? is it a technically thing? if so, i understand it, but much cooler would be, if everything is just open without any instances (you can lock your door of course and give keys to your buddies)

i know you cant change anything about the combat system, but would be cool if its something more dynamic, like TSW (where you can move always and dont have to stay still watching a cast bar) or other more dynamic systems.

make everything you wear to be visible on your character.

Comments

• KaylettaJadeKaylettaJade Member UncommonPosts: 144

Housing is not only instanced. We're planning to have instanced housing available for everyone, a limited amount of persistent world housing that is safe (non-destroyable), and you can even place houses in player cities (but those can be destroyed by a successful siege).

You don't have to stand still in combat, but I believe you take an accuracy penalty for moving around.

And as far as copying things from SWG - We aren't trying to be SWG2.0 and we aren't going to copy their mechanics. Crafting will be complex with trade skills dependant on each other. There is no best armor. And there is already the ability to set up small encampments in the wilderness. Resource gathering will not be the same as you don't need harvesters to get the required amount of materials.

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

its not swg what was great overall, but those things were great, IMO

different quality of ressources were giving different stats to the same item. but i guess you know SWG, arent you?

of course, a swg 2.0 (a finished and polished pre nge cu with updated graphics) would be great though :-)

take the best of the game and do the other things better.

the combat/damage system was quite good just because the different attack types to red green and blue and that you had to choose whether you want to be protected against everything just average or ...... that added a lot of tactical decisions you had to make before and while fighting.

Originally posted by mistmaker

different quality of ressources were giving different stats to the same item. but i guess you know SWG, arent you?

the combat/damage system was quite good just because the different attack types to red green and blue and that you had to choose whether you want to be protected against everything just average or ...... that added a lot of tactical decisions you had to make before and while fighting.

I never played SWG.

Resources will not be like that exactly. We'll have a feature on the resource attribute system soon.

Damage types, we do have several, and yes you will have to choose what you want to stack resistances against at the cost of other stats.

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Originally posted by KaylettaJade

Housing is not only instanced. We're planning to have instanced housing available for everyone, a limited amount of persistent world housing that is safe (non-destroyable), and you can even place houses in player cities (but those can be destroyed by a successful siege).

You don't have to stand still in combat, but I believe you take an accuracy penalty for moving around.

And as far as copying things from SWG - We aren't trying to be SWG2.0 and we aren't going to copy their mechanics. Crafting will be complex with trade skills dependant on each other. There is no best armor. And there is already the ability to set up small encampments in the wilderness. Resource gathering will not be the same as you don't need harvesters to get the required amount of materials.

We?? Are you  from TR team?

Originally posted by zomard100

We?? Are you  from TR team?

All of the information I'm relaying is available on the Repop boards, so it's really not important, but yes I'm part of the team.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

How is the combat side of the game progressing? Is there ever going to be an active coverage system such as objects in the game world your character can hunker down behind and shoot from gaining a defensive bonus, or can you crouch or lay prone for a similar effect?

EDIT: Nevermind, read the combat system page, looks very interesting I like what I see so far.

Originally posted by Darth-Batman
    How is the combat side of the game progressing? Is there ever going to be an active coverage system such as objects in the game world your character can hunker down behind and shoot from gaining a defensive bonus, or can you crouch or lay prone for a similar effect?

Cover is already in game and working. I doubled checked with a dev - crouch/prone gives a defensive bonus against ranged attacks and an accuracy bonus, but you also have a defensive penalty against melee if you're prone (that whole idea that if you're laying down, you can't really defend yourself against a sword in the back).

Originally posted by Darth-Batman

Cover is already in game and working. I doubled checked with a dev - crouch/prone gives a defensive bonus against ranged attacks and an accuracy bonus, but you also have a defensive penalty against melee if you're prone (that whole idea that if you're laying down, you can't really defend yourself against a sword in the back).

Thanks for the quick response, the melee VS prone/crouch penalty is a great idea too and makes a lot of sense.

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

Originally posted by mistmaker different quality of ressources were giving different stats to the same item. but i guess you know SWG, arent you? the combat/damage system was quite good just because the different attack types to red green and blue and that you had to choose whether you want to be protected against everything just average or ...... that added a lot of tactical decisions you had to make before and while fighting.
    I never played SWG.

Resources will not be like that exactly. We'll have a feature on the resource attribute system soon.

Damage types, we do have several, and yes you will have to choose what you want to stack resistances against at the cost of other stats.

but i guess you know how the system worked in swg?

if not: you had to run around the planets with a scanner and search for a good spot to harvest for example a metal. it made a difference in crafting outcome whether you harvested on a 91 percent or a 98 percent node. much better system than the silver, iron, gold, copper system

Originally posted by mistmaker different quality of ressources were giving different stats to the same item. but i guess you know SWG, arent you? the combat/damage system was quite good just because the different attack types to red green and blue and that you had to choose whether you want to be protected against everything just average or ...... that added a lot of tactical decisions you had to make before and while fighting.
    I never played SWG.

but i guess you know how the system worked in swg?

if not: you had to run around the planets with a scanner and search for a good spot to harvest for example a metal. it made a difference in crafting outcome whether you harvested on a 91 percent or a 98 percent node. much better system than the silver, iron, gold, copper system

I was curious about that too, heres the crafting and harvesting page on their site, It looks pretty good to me. http://www.therepopulation.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=232&Itemid=472

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I never played SWG.

In SWG the resources had random stats that could make the crafted item amazing. The lower grade resources were used to grind out the crafting profession. The resource stats are what made SWG crafting so unique.  I know you aren't trying to copy SWG, but this was a big deal for us crafters. I hope you consider using it. It made high end crafted items more desirable. And, it made for proud crafters that were well respected and sough after on the servers. In current MMO's, everyone makes the same stuff and it has no real meaning.

I saw this and would like to know what is meant by:

Materials gathered from manual harvesting also have a wide range of quality values based on random chance. Sometimes you might find some C grade results and other times you might get lucky and get A grade results that are going to be sought after by veteran crafters looking to make high quality products.

It reads like what I am talking about, but I would like more information The "yellow" section. Are there going to be random stats on "C" and "A"? Or, is "C" and "A" going to be the quality mentioned? If so, I don't see how it would be any different from current MMO's with rare resources.

Thank you very much for taking time to drop in here to answer our questions...it means a lot to us to see gaming staff that goes above and beyond to help.

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Materials gathered from manual harvesting also have a wide range of quality values based on random chance. Sometimes you might find some C grade results and other times you might get lucky and get A grade results that are going to be sought after by veteran crafters looking to make high quality products.

It reads like what I am talking about, but I would like more information The "yellow" section. Are there going to be random stats on "C" and "A"? Or, is "C" and "A" going to be the quality mentioned? If so, I don't see how it would be any different from current MMO's with rare resources.

Thank you very much for taking time to drop in here to answer our questions...it means a lot to us to see gaming staff that goes above and beyond to help.

First off, you're very welcome. The devs are very active on the repop boards and I do try to keep up with these forums as well (and although I won't release new info, I don't mind passing on what the devs have already said), so anytime you have questions ask :) We're a talkative bunch.

The portion in yellow: C and A refer to the quality of the materials. The quality of the base materials helps determine the quality of the final product. Specifically, if you have a C grade version of Item X and an A grade version of item X, the A grade version will be more powerful/higher quality. With fittings that would translate into higher stat output when you put it into your armor/weapons. With other things it sometimes translates into various products (in Chemistry, for example, crafting Fluorite could produce 1 of 3 variants depending on the final product's grade and each of the variants are used in different things).

I'm hesitant to say too much more on fittings in particular because we will have a feature on the resource attribute system (which ties directly into how you get stats onto fittings) before long, and it should help answer some of these questions that I haven't. It might even be coming out tomorrow. I'll hunt down one of the devs and find out :)

• CreepProphetCreepProphet Member Posts: 104

And answered, but the really the cool thing about The Repopulation is that it will reward folks who put effort into crafting. 

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I'm very much looking forward to it!  

I self identify as a monkey.

Originally posted by bigsmiff

First off, you're very welcome. The devs are very active on the repop boards and I do try to keep up with these forums as well (and although I won't release new info, I don't mind passing on what the devs have already said), so anytime you have questions ask :) We're a talkative bunch.

The portion in yellow: C and A refer to the quality of the materials. The quality of the base materials helps determine the quality of the final product. Specifically, if you have a C grade version of Item X and an A grade version of item X, the A grade version will be more powerful/higher quality. With fittings that would translate into higher stat output when you put it into your armor/weapons. With other things it sometimes translates into various products (in Chemistry, for example, crafting Fluorite could produce 1 of 3 variants depending on the final product's grade and each of the variants are used in different things).

I'm hesitant to say too much more on fittings in particular because we will have a feature on the resource attribute system (which ties directly into how you get stats onto fittings) before long, and it should help answer some of these questions that I haven't. It might even be coming out tomorrow. I'll hunt down one of the devs and find out :)

Thank you for the quick reply. I am looking forward to reading more. Crafting is the main reason I play MMO's, and that's why I haven't had much to play lately. I have several old SWG friends that are anxiously waiting for the crafting alone.

• CreepProphetCreepProphet Member Posts: 104
    That's awesome, a lot of people are looking forward to The Repop!
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

There was something I read about the resources cycling. Resorces having a quality and having that quality vary as well as cycle is one of the most important aspects. This not only makes rarity and scale more complex, it also makes the finding of a great cycle of resources something that is worth waiting for. If I know I can always get 99% ore and I'm a crafting guy, I may not play as long. If the devs were smart enough to play upon a non-scheduled intermittant reinforcer, I may feel that it's worth longevity of play. I might wait weeks or months to obtain better resources.

Crafting in most games:

Resource Quality = 0,1 (All nodes either regular grade resource or elite)

Time to gather = Go to mob field, mine node

Craft = Combine raw resources with sub-components that are quality neutral and/or bought from NPCs.

Variance = Random role for anywhere between 3-10% state difference

Output = Same quality/appearance

Market = Homogenous products with no rarity or significant variance in stats or appearance

= boring ---> fail

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Originally posted by ignore_me
    There was something I read about the resources cycling. Resorces having a quality and having that quality vary as well as cycle is one of the most important aspects. This not only makes rarity and scale more complex, it also makes the finding of a great cycle of resources something that is worth waiting for. If I know I can always get 99% ore and I'm a crafting guy, I may not play as long. If the devs were smart enough to play upon a non-scheduled intermittant reinforcer, I may feel that it's worth longevity of play. I might wait weeks or months to obtain better resources.

Resources do deplete if an area is over harvested and it takes time for the resources to return to that particular area. I believe it also works on a resource type system, so if you overharvest trees the metals are unaffected, and vice-versa. As for rarity random cycling, the rarity varies on a per harvest basis, with the node and your skill adding to the variable I believe, but afaik there is no backend mechanism to cycle crappy quality this week and awesome quality next week.

• Black-DogBlack-Dog Member Posts: 18

All ill say is, if you want a mmo with crafting to kick off big time over all the other shi*e about, make sure items you wear and items you use like weapons degrade over time and more so when killed or injured..

Think of neocron..... they really still are the only game devs that made crafting in that worth anything,.....

Crafted items would be random stats and better if your skills were better.. made for special items and people would seek out good crafters if online to get items made from them with item resources gathered by the one wanting the item built.

Do it!!!

Originally posted by Black-Dog

All ill say is, if you want a mmo with crafting to kick off big time over all the other shi*e about, make sure items you wear and items you use like weapons degrade over time and more so when killed or injured..

Think of neocron..... they really still are the only game devs that made crafting in that worth anything,.....

As of right now fittings take durability hits, and those decreases in durability translate into stat decreases, eventually making even the best fitting worthless. Shells (armor/weapons) do not have durability because they are cosmetic items and have no effect on the character beyond look.

Originally posted by Black-Dog

Crafted items would be random stats and better if your skills were better.. made for special items and people would seek out good crafters if online to get items made from them with item resources gathered by the one wanting the item built.

Do it!!!

I agree, decay is very important to crafters. I used to log in to SWG and have about a mail requests for new gear. It gives a crafter a reason to craft when he/she is truly needed after the initial gear rush at launch.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by CreepProphet
    That's awesome, a lot of people are looking forward to The Repop!

Im dying for The Repopulation.

There is just nothing out there, now or coming up, that even interests me in the slightest.

Cant wait for my Beta invite. I really want to help in making this game the best.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Resources do deplete if an area is over harvested and it takes time for the resources to return to that particular area. I believe it also works on a resource type system, so if you overharvest trees the metals are unaffected, and vice-versa. As for rarity random cycling, the rarity varies on a per harvest basis, with the node and your skill adding to the variable I believe, but afaik there is no backend mechanism to cycle crappy quality this week and awesome quality next week.

That sounds like a great system actually. I would hope that they look into the quality variability thing though. It's a milestone for a crafter to have a super batch of steel from months back when the market goes dry on high quality steel :) (or items made from high quality steel).

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

That sounds like a great system actually. I would hope that they look into the quality variability thing though. It's a milestone for a crafter to have a super batch of steel from months back when the market goes dry on high quality steel :) (or items made from high quality steel).

That leads to the hoarding of resources, rather than their use, and hoarding resources is something the devs have said they don't want to see happen in Repop. More than once I've seen people say "Oh I had a thousand amazing whatever resource still sitting in my bank when SWG shut down". Personally, I don't see how it would be an improvement to create a system that encourages people to do that.

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

That leads to the hoarding of resources, rather than their use, and hoarding resources is something the devs have said they don't want to see happen in Repop. More than once I've seen people say "Oh I had a thousand amazing whatever resource still sitting in my bank when SWG shut down". Personally, I don't see how it would be an improvement to create a system that encourages people to do that.

It creates a dynamic player economym where you have to be strategic and cunning in order to get rich :-)

Btw, instanced player housing, ive seen posts on that, what does it mean?