Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Give BioWare a Break

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by BadOrb

Try the game yourself if you haven't make up your own mind about it and don't act like sheep for gods sake. It's $4.99 for 4 action bars , 6 character slots and you can play the whole game all the way through , that's a bargain.

End of long post.

Cheers,

BadOrb. 

I would say that STO is better value than SWTOR as F2P games, and even paying $15 across multiple accounts in SWG with its insane boatload of fetaures is better value than SWTOR as F2P.

STO is more free than SWTOR, and gives you plenty of non-restricted access to the game without paying a penny, that sucks you deeper into the game, that when you get so far you feel that spending money is more worth it.

Makeb has been banging about since June 2012, and SGR since Sep 2011. Since about June 2012, STO had Season 6 put in, then Season 7 announced and is now in. This month they have announced Season 8 coming soon, probably in by the time Makeb is, and Season 9 also coming later in the year, yet SWTOR is still going on about content done and announced between Sep 2011 and June 2012.

SWG had its faults, but they kept constant updates coming, and you knew more was to come, and it had 3 full blown expansions, not a mini expansion. LA only gave up on SWG in 2006, over 2 years after launch, EA/BW have given up on SWTOR already. SOE still did plenty for SWG after 2005 too.

Also with EA saying they need $7.5 million per month (500K subs) to break even it seems they are only adding in content already written, and with F2P it is not generating enough income for them to break even, and looks like it may shut down by the end of the year. It may not shut down and live for years, but that is not the impression they are giving, and they say they "intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future" and not "will pursue more SGR options in the future" making it sound they know that it may probably not happen. I assume it all depends on the success of the game and if it grows, but if it is not going good, then there is a strong chance they will either not have enough money from subs and F2P to make it happen, or the game may get shut down, plus there is the licence which makes things more rocky.

The game is still good to play, and even if it only lasts the rest of this year, that is plenty time to get the most out of it.

I will only give Bioware a break when EA/BW start progressing the game in leaps and bounds like other MMOs, which is an indication of the game doing good (although that still did not stop SWG and CoH from shutting down) and what STO and SWG got, as I do think that SWTOR is a better game than STO, but BW/EA are just letting it rot.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by mnemic666
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

That's an opinion. Just because you say it's a fact doesn't make it fact. If we were just like animals we would be living in caves grunting at each other. I'll believe we are on the same level as animals when a dolphin builds a rocket and lands on the moon.

Anyway I reiterate...

Please fix SWTOR Bioware, fix the real problems, not issues that clearly are just used to promote the game.

http://kids.discovery.com/tell-me/animals/mammals/are-humans-considered-animals

Here, maybe this website will be at an appropriate education level to help you understand "facts".

That's theory. If you believe in creationism, you will not believe theories like that.

• mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by kevjards

has i said they should be kept out of game..also you say your offended by the violence in first person shooters..well there is violence in mmo's..why do you play them..what do you think killing a mob with magic missiles is?

Um... you kind of did say that it shouldn't be in gaming so...yeah.

My response with regards to violence was to highlight that controversy can appear anywhere, pointing to the current focus on violent video games (primarily first and third person shooters) in relation to the recent US shootings. If we were to create games free of controversy, we would have to stop making those types of games, something which I am categorically against. As far as I'm concerned, games should be made to explore any topic that the game makers want, as they're a unique way to look at different topics.

Originally posted by bigsmif

That's theory. If you believe in creationism, you will not believe theories like that.

No, that's a scientific fact.

And if you believe in creationism, you've already indicated that facts make no difference to you as you will reject facts, and even theories supported by significant amounts of evidence (to the point where there is very little reasoned controversy to the theory). This means that there is zero point in debating further with you as you have no desire to expand your current understanding of the world and deal with facts, but would rather maintain your current world view at the cost of rational thought and knowledge.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

And if you believe in creationism, you've already indicated that facts make no difference to you as you will reject facts, and even theories supported by significant amounts of evidence (to the point where there is very little reasoned controversy to the theory). This means that there is zero point in debating further with you as you have no desire to expand your current understanding of the world and deal with facts, but would rather maintain your current world view at the cost of rational thought and knowledge.

So what happens when I'm an atheist and still believe humans are beyond animals? The world came crashing down :)

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Translation: "If you don't agree with my way of thinking, you are wrong"

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

has i said they should be kept out of game..also you say your offended by the violence in first person shooters..well there is violence in mmo's..why do you play them..what do you think killing a mob with magic missiles is?

Um... you kind of did say that it shouldn't be in gaming so...yeah.

My response with regards to violence was to highlight that controversy can appear anywhere, pointing to the current focus on violent video games (primarily first and third person shooters) in relation to the recent US shootings. If we were to create games free of controversy, we would have to stop making those types of games, something which I am categorically against. As far as I'm concerned, games should be made to explore any topic that the game makers want, as they're a unique way to look at different topics.

well that was my point..keep controversy out of the game by not bringing it in ,in the first place..that way you avoid all that stuff.the idea behind playing rpg's or any game is to get away from all this crap.see my point is this that we are both divided in the way we think..if you dont put that stuff in game in the first place there is no divide.i do understand what you mean but what happens in RL should really not appear in a game..hence fantasy..its to take you away from the RL issues.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I can give Bioware a break for Makeb. They are at least trying, sort of. Their execution is pretty lacking I think, but they are making an effort, and they will be continuing that effort by integrating those options into the rest of the game.

I can't really give them a break for most of the rest of the game though. It doesn't matter how friendly they are to any given community, most of the game is pretty weak.

I would have given Bioware a break for Makeb if it was 1) In by the end of 2012 like they said and 2) FREE, like they said.

In an interview in June with EA/BW, they said it was already written, and they said whether the game fails or succeeds, it will be still added to the game.

They could have put this in in Dec, but are just holding it back to keep subbers strung along, as have no other content (nor willing to pay devs to create more content) to add.

• TrunksZTrunksZ Member Posts: 263
    Originally posted by bigsmiff

That is pretty much how everyone behave in these forums.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Seems like a great way to bring attention to a dead game's new expansion pack thats coming out. If i was gay or cared about this same sex stuff finally being in video games, I would be more offended I think then not.

EA (stop calling them BioWare) is using it as a attention grabbing, and thus a potential money making avenue, nothing more.

No, facts are a thing. They exist. You are either wrong, or right about a fact. The fact doesn't give a fuck if you agree with it or not, it will continue to exist. Here's an example:

Fact: The earth revolves around the sun.

That's currently a fact you can't dispute. You're free to believe that the sun revolves around the earth, but you are wrong. It has nothing to do with whether I agree with you are not, the fact is that you are incorrect in your belief and we can prove that you are incorrect. The same applies to humans being animals.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN

well that was my point..keep controversy out of the game by not bringing it in ,in the first place..that way you avoid all that stuff.the idea behind playing rpg's or any game is to get away from all this crap.see my point is this that we are both divided in the way we think..if you dont put that stuff in game in the first place there is no divide.i do understand what you mean but what happens in RL should really not appear in a game..hence fantasy..its to take you away from the RL issues.

What happens IRL appears in fantasy games all the time. It's a ROLE playing game, so I would imagine that a full role playing game would allow you to fill the role you wanted.If it's going to support romance, it would be remiss not to support both heterosexual and homosexual romances if it wants to stay true to its name.

Again, if we're going to avoid controversy, by your logic we shouldn't have any violent first or third person shooters. They're causing quite a stir now, so they should be removed.

• Bastian_StarBastian_Star Member Posts: 36

So what happens when I'm an atheist and still believe humans are beyond animals? The world came crashing down :)

so now we've got a creationist, an evolutionist, an atheist, and a guy that believes in something approximating evolutionary-creationism...surly the entire universe is going to implode on the paradoxical fault line we've created....wait, we are THAT important right? image

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Bastian_Star

so now we've got a creationist, an evolutionist, an atheist, and a guy that believes in something approximating evolutionary-creationism...surly the entire universe is going to implode on the paridoxical fault line we've created....wait, we are THAT important right? image

Exactly, well said sir. We aren't important at all in the grand scheme of it :)

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

You're free to believe that humans are superior animals that have broken free of their basic instincts (for the most part), I think most people would agree that humans have trancended natural animals as we've moved away from our natural state.

But to say humans are not animals at all is false. We are animals, just highly evolved animals that have broken away from what is natural.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by lizardbones I can give Bioware a break for Makeb. They are at least trying, sort of. Their execution is pretty lacking I think, but they are making an effort, and they will be continuing that effort by integrating those options into the rest of the game. I can't really give them a break for most of the rest of the game though. It doesn't matter how friendly they are to any given community, most of the game is pretty weak.
    I would have given Bioware a break for Makeb if it was 1) In by the end of 2012 like they said and 2) FREE, like they said.

In an interview in June with EA/BW, they said it was already written, and they said whether the game fails or succeeds, it will be still added to the game.

They could have put this in in Dec, but are just holding it back to keep subbers strung along, as have no other content (nor willing to pay devs to create more content) to add.

I have pretty low expectations for EA and SWToR, so it's pretty easy for me to give them a break. I also stopped playing the game...I just couldn't continue playing what amounted to WoW, but not as well done. So it's really easy for me to just say, "Meh" and move on.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Bastian_StarBastian_Star Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Bastian_Star

so now we've got a creationist, an evolutionist, an atheist, and a guy that believes in something approximating evolutionary-creationism...surly the entire universe is going to implode on the paridoxical fault line we've created....wait, we are THAT important right? image

Exactly, well said sir. We aren't important at all in the grand scheme of it :)

thanks image and you're right, we're not that important in the grand scheme of things...now somebody just needs to come up with a REALLY bad joke where we all walk into a bar image ROFL

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Whats with this sudden attempt to force PC (political correctness) on the MMO community? I see no reason to even have a forum if it does not allow people to post their negative views...and the very idea that ANY NEGATIVE comment is being disrespectful and trolling is just plain redonkulous.

P.S. No, I will not give Bioware a break. They made a bad product, they lied continually throughout beta about what their product was going to be...and consumers should call them out on it. Its our right to do so, and I dont mean rights by law, I mean rights by the fact we are consumers and they are a business. Consumers drive all markets, stop making people believe they dont.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

What happens IRL appears in fantasy games all the time. It's a ROLE playing game, so I would imagine that a full role playing game would allow you to fill the role you wanted.If it's going to support romance, it would be remiss not to support both heterosexual and homosexual romances if it wants to stay true to its name.

Again, if we're going to avoid controversy, by your logic we shouldn't have any violent first or third person shooters. They're causing quite a stir now, so they should be removed.

rpg's and other games have got along fine without this.and have done so.to me this is just a gimmick by bioware to do exactly what we are doing now.i totally disagree with this stuff being in game because of the reasons i have stated..i cannot change that.has for the bit you mentioned on fps games.its my opinion it has nothing to do with what happens in RL.

if people think its ok to live their life the way a first person shooter is played they have to be seriously unstable in the first place.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

seriously with all due respect to the OP here giving this story any coverage shows just how much this site is in it for the money and nothing more. Do you seriously think same sex relationships warrents talk like its some grand expansion? Ever think maybe we hate bioware and EA because they continue to take shortcuts and develop a game that just plain out sucks? Maybe we just hate them for the fact they charge people for petty things like action bars and dungeons and pvp games... I do not understand why we should give them a break because they bring in lesbian and gay garbage into a video game instead of putting more meaningful content into the game.

Also Im a liberal and have no issue with gay or lesbians but im sorry people crying about putting them into a video game means you need to go play the sims and not star wars because its a pathetic cause to push into a video game. If it bothers you that much not to be able to flirt and romance same sex relationships in a video game you need to stop playing video games.

This is just a flame topic created by the site staff here , nothing good is going to come of this conversation because you have religion and science all fighting in the same topic and already there is insults here to people who do not believe the same as others do . This garbage has no place in video games and especially on video game sites. Especially a star wars family game , its bad enough you have toons running around mostly naked now but we already know the slimeballs at bioware will do anything to make a dollar .

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Aeonblades So what happens when I'm an atheist and still believe humans are beyond animals? The world came crashing down :)  
    You're free to believe that humans are superior animals that have broken free of their basic instincts (for the most part), I think most people would agree that humans have trancended natural animals as we've moved away from our natural state.

But to say humans are not animals at all is false. We are animals, just highly evolved animals that have broken away from what is natural.

Even saying we've broken away from our natural behavior isn't true. Many of the same things are driving our behaviors in our brains that drove them fifty to a hundred thousand years ago. That doesn't mean we haven't made a lot of progress, and aren't intellectually superior to every other animal on the planet. It just means we have a lot of useless, vestigial behaviors.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Kaynos1972
    What does sexual orientation has to do with a game anyway ?  Can you keep that kind of stuff outside of gaming.

Agreed. Shouldn't be in games in the first place.

No, facts are a thing. They exist. You are either wrong, or right about a fact. The fact doesn't give a fuck if you agree with it or not, it will continue to exist. Here's an example:

Fact: The earth revolves around the sun.

That's currently a fact you can't dispute. You're free to believe that the sun revolves around the earth, but you are wrong. It has nothing to do with whether I agree with you are not, the fact is that you are incorrect in your belief and we can prove that you are incorrect. The same applies to humans being animals.

I am finished with this topic. I have a good "trouble free" streak on this site right now and I don't want to mess it up.

Originally posted by SlothnChunk
    Originally posted by Kaynos1972
    What does sexual orientation has to do with a game anyway ?  Can you keep that kind of stuff outside of gaming.

Agreed. Shouldn't be in games in the first place.

So then they should remove all romances from the game. If sexual orientation has nothing to do for the game, don't make it a gameplay option at all.

This discussion has been closed.