Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Pathfinder Online: What Makes You Pledge?

2»

Comments

• BlueMountainBlueMountain Member UncommonPosts: 147

I've been waiting many years for an MMORPG to be done right. 

I think PFO has the talent behind it to do it right, enough so that I backed the project the best I could.

To dream, perhaps to be.

• FistyMayhemFistyMayhem Member UncommonPosts: 61
    We pledged because it looks like it's going to be a fantast genera game similar to EVE.  Since I like and play EVE but prefer fantasy it's pretty much perfect for me.
  • xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

I didn't backed the game cos none of the devs stand out at the age of thirty years and above.

Anyone know which of them have done a sucessfull MMO?

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

The sad fact is that there are so many good people out there who can make MMO's that are out of a job. Thats why these kickstarter projects have people with a lot of gaming background.

When it comes to staffing, the gaming industry has downsized and bigger companies like EA have bought out smaller ones and then made many of the old staff redundant.

Hope this works out for them.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by sevae
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Nothing here.  I do not trust indie comapnies to deliver.  I'd rather put 100% faith in a triple-A title.

Anyway, I refuse to donate to a project created by someone that didn't invest their own time and money. Kickstarter should be your last resort. They didn't even start working on the game before asking for money... not once, but twice. What a bunch of panhandlers.

So you know that they never invested any of their cash or put any time into the game before they started the kickstarter thing off?

I think your very wrong.. but believe what you want..

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by xmenty

I didn't backed the game cos none of the devs stand out at the age of thirty years and above.

Anyone know which of them have done a sucessfull MMO?

That was lsited on the first page or so..

• tank-n-spanktank-n-spank Member UncommonPosts: 23

PFO is the first and only project I backed on Kickstarter so far.  I opted for the $35 level on the last day of the KS campaign.

Why didn't I back it sooner?  I simply hadn't heard of the KS for it until that day.  I had heard of PFO before but the news about their second KS got lost in the glut of gaming news.  Sadly, I would have loved to get some of the daily perks.

Why didn't I back it for more?  It caught me at a very inconvenient time financially.  After the usual xmas overspending I got hit with some medical bills and car bills so I opted for $35 which afaik was the lowest tier that included the digital download.  Had I been in a better place financially I would have backed it for $175 to get a whole bunch of perks for two accounts (one for me, one for my wife).

Why did I hesitate?  Aside from the financial issues mentioned above, because their reward system was really freakin' confusing.  They probably would have done a lot better if they presented what each reward tier gave you in a more strightforward manner.

Why DID I back it?  The MMO genre desperately needs a modern, high-profile fantasy sandbox.  I loved UO but none of my friends play it on account of its age and style.  And I love EVE despite it's PvP and sci-fi setting.  I've often said that if I win the lottery I would fund a fantasy PvE sandbox MMO.  Since I haven't yet, I'm helping fund other people's MMOs for a more reasonable amount.  It's a worthwhile risk for me and $35 isn't much at all to loose (<2h of employment, about a lunch out for two or 3 movie tickets).  In fact I've lost a lot more by buying $50-80 release games that turned out to be utter crap.

• DreyderDreyder Member Posts: 25

I've backed many kickstarter projects this year and though I wanted to see this one succeed I could not bring myself to pay $100 to demo an MMO I knew so little of.

I found they offered too little in rewards and so little info as to the aims of the projects that I had to leave this up to the guys that believe in this more than I do.

Also I figured I'd catch them on the 3rd kickstarter *wink* *wink*

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390

This was the first Kickstarter project I've ever backed.  It'll probably be the last -- the idea of donating money to a for-profit venture doesn't sit well with me.   That said, I don't regret giving money to PFO.

I didn't do it for the giveaways.  I'm not even sure what I qualified for, to be honest.  I did it for several reasons:

First, PFO is the game I've wanted to play for years, and that no one else seems willing or able to make. I gave because I want to play it that much.

Even if PFO never happens, I'm getting more enjoyment from thinking about it than I have from actually playing any of the current crop of games.  I occasionally buy lottery tickets for the same reason; not because I expect to win, but because I enjoy spending a week dreaming of what I'd do if I did.

I researched the people behind Goblinworks, and I'm satisfied that they know what they're getting into.  The fact that they've secured private financing helped me decide to donate as well.  I really do believe that there's a good chance this game will see the light of day.

And, if nothing else, it sends a message.  AAA publishers have gotten lazy and cowardly, and the MMO genre they created has become an elephant's graveyard of bad games.  Whether or not PFO becomes a real thing, the fact that people were willing to spend over a million dollars on esentially nothing shows that there's an unmet demand out there.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by sevae
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Nothing here.  I do not trust indie comapnies to deliver.  I'd rather put 100% faith in a triple-A title.

Anyway, I refuse to donate to a project created by someone that didn't invest their own time and money. Kickstarter should be your last resort. They didn't even start working on the game before asking for money... not once, but twice. What a bunch of panhandlers.

So you know that they never invested any of their cash or put any time into the game before they started the kickstarter thing off?

I think your very wrong.. but believe what you want..

They never put *any* time into the game before this? You know this how?  As for money, the main reason for business is to make a profit. If they can leverage their skills and experience into that profit, and we get an interesting game in the process then all sides win. 

Someone has to break the endless cycle of suits worshipping at the altar of the risk adverse, and thus trying to come up with another take on WoW, if we are to ever find a way out of this swamp.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I believe in their dream and want to see it come to fruition - the are developing out of love and a passion for their art usually rather than just hustling for the biggest money haul. And I miss the older, sandbox games where you lived your own story, in a huge, extremely detailed, extremely complex, world where the details the players created or changed - made all the difference.

No bitchers.

• orsonstfuorsonstfu Member Posts: 203
    35$ to help fund a company that gives me PnP products that I enjoy. Also sandbox added to my need to feed them money.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I pledged about 750 to Star Citizen, for 3 different ships.  The reason was simple.  The guy had made great video games, he wants to make them again without the dirrection of suits telling him how to make it.

Start citizen was the only kickstarter project I felt that had a real chance of being made, unlike a lot of the other ripoff we continue to hear about. 

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195

Holy crap, I'm just completely baffled by some of the amounts of money that have been pledged. The best part is that it's not even an investment so you won't get any monetary gains in return. It really makes me wonder if people have money to burn or is it really that inequal. We live in an economical crisis FFS and people are losing jobs everywhere!

Are you guys not even once worried that you might get scammed? At least when you burn the money, you are warm for a few seconds.

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97
    I can't help but think the Kickstarter is a fad, it is just a la mode.  When something publically goes tits up or there is a prominent case of fraud it will lose it's appeal.  
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by vgamer

Holy crap, I'm just completely baffled by some of the amounts of money that have been pledged. The best part is that it's not even an investment so you won't get any monetary gains in return. It really makes me wonder if people have money to burn or is it really that inequal. We live in an economical crisis FFS and people are losing jobs everywhere!

Are you guys not even once worried that you might get scammed? At least when you burn the money, you are warm for a few seconds.

Personally, I never invest or donate what I can't afford to lose.  As I've mentioned, I spend well more than $100 a month on my gaming hobby any way.  If there is a chance to get a good game out of this, I'm more than willing to risk it.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Originally posted by vgamer

Your logic is confusing.   You state that people should not have supported the Pathfinder Kickstarter because of the "economical crisis" and "people are losing jobs everywhere".

Maybe you do not understand that by this Kickstarter succeeding, 10 or so jobs are being created.  So if the real reason you objected was the one you stated it makes no sense at all.  The only way out of the "economical crisis" is to spend money and have companies create jobs...

Do i worry I might get scammed?  No. I looked at the long list of people associated with the project and the history of Paizo.  They have a history and are not a flybynight startup.

Do I worry that the project might fail?   Yes, that is a possibility but I am comfortable that it will succeed, and so I pledged.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Depends on what developers have to offer. Is game really innovative? If not, is it old-school? What people develop this project? Basically I didn't flinch about pledging to Pathfinder Online. Same with Star Citizen and Project Eternity.
  • IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Well I want to see decent gameplay and games which for me means thet anything with gamesystems AC1 and previous hit the mark. So for me it is more contributing to developing the games i like if they deliver or not doesnt really matter as long as the genre is moving in the right direction.

With Pathfinder, all the extras pretty much make it a no brainer and value for money.

I see VGGamer saying he can't understand pledges being so high, so let me explain in 1990 I was a poor young gamer with an excess of great games to play.

Now these days I am a rich old gamer with lots of money but absolutely nothing that is challenging to play, that has longevity and community so I contribute even if it is just a concept. Because I can.

"Rich in my view means i have more money than i need not vast ammounts "

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by Fusion
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo

The more a Kickstarter project asks for (1m$) - the more it needs to show off what it already has done.

According to that line, you shouldnt've pledged, since they've really done NOTHING, but a small tech demo (on a licensed engine...)

I definitely would not pledge for such projects, when they've really nothing to show, but an IP and ideas.

I personally am not fond of these kickstarter things and "pre-purchase" things.. i pay when i see it.

I f I took your approach in life, I would have never acheived anything; But at least you have an approach.

I invest in these projects because the concepts are great and so are Paizo. The Pathfinder content you get pays for the donation so its a win win. If tyhey deliver or not the concepts and game development direction is important here.

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by Fusion

I definitely would not pledge for such projects, when they've really nothing to show, but an IP and ideas.

I personally am not fond of these kickstarter things and "pre-purchase" things.. i pay when i see it.

Quote for truth. I also don't believe in Kickstarter and Founders programs. 

• ZackxmZackxm Member UncommonPosts: 31

I didn't back it because it just doesn't seem right to me. So many games fail to ever get released, games with great people working on them and even games at the big companies and they just cancel development. If they are taking fan base $$$$ then if the game gets released that money should be paid back in addition to the little in game perks. It makes no sense to me that the $$$ don't get repaid even if it is a great success. I love the idea of the game but taking donations and then if it works taking the profit to yourself doesn't seem right to me.

on the other hand - I'm glad that so many others did donate. If the game gets made then I'll give it a try and maybe love it. I'll keep my $$$ until then and yeah I'll miss out on a game item or ale being named after me and a forum or game title, big deal. And I may miss beta but probably not because FYI they actually need real BETA testers and not just pay for early entry server load testers.

just my opinion..