Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 million copies sold since august general consensus so far

Comments

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    Thee million sold but yet from levels 1-50 its almost a barren wasteland. It is good they sold that many but not sure people are staying long term.

The starting areas are very easily not barren.

All images of this week.

Desolation - EU.

So wait,2-5 people isn't barren now?That's atrocious compared to October when I could see 10 people pretty much everywhere and even more at the event's.

That is what I would define as barren,I can go to game's that have been out 5 yrs and see more people in every zone.Sorry but seem's like grasping here.

When I say 2-5 people,that's 2-5 plus pet's/illusion's.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by umie214
    as the game grows in popularity this year, which it will due to the upcoming large patches, and when the first xpac rolls out, i think we can expect the sales to easily double. by 2014, GW2 will likely hit 8-10mill sales. if they keep their priorities straight. 

I hope this is a joke.

Originally posted by Jean_Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Slappy1
    Thee million sold but yet from levels 1-50 its almost a barren wasteland. It is good they sold that many but not sure people are staying long term.

All images of this week.

Desolation - EU.

So wait,2-5 people isn't barren now?That's atrocious compared to October when I could see 10 people pretty much everywhere and even more at the event's.

That is what I would define as barren,I can go to game's that have been out 5 yrs and see more people in every zone.Sorry but seem's like grasping here.

Have you tried to level through Pandaland in WoW recently? Yes, WoW, world's most successful MMO with the most players. Well, the leveling areas are empty. I know it, I tried the expansion and leveled my main during the holidays there. Never seen a game that empty just after a major expansion.

GW2's areas in comparison are highly populated. And yes, 5 people IN ONE SPOT is good enough, it means there are dozens in the general area you are in. And when events hit, or world bosses spawn, everyone regroups.

Pandaland is far from barren. On hellscream, it s pretty famn busy, everywhere in the x pac.

All images of this week.

Desolation - EU.

Have you tried to level through Pandaland in WoW recently? Yes, WoW, world's most successful MMO with the most players. Well, the leveling areas are empty. I know it, I tried the expansion and leveled my main during the holidays there. Never seen a game that empty just after a major expansion.

GW2's areas in comparison are highly populated. And yes, 5 people IN ONE SPOT is good enough, it means there are dozens in the general area you are in. And when events hit, or world bosses spawn, everyone regroups.

Why does evryone bring up WOW? It's 8+ yrs old give it a rest man.WOW was expanding it's population 5 month's in,do you remember?It wasn't a ghost town.

To answer your question even more,yes I was in WOW after they did the cross realm's and saw a lot more people there then in GW2.This was in late November.I played on Dawnbringer and was in the Draenei 5-20 areas and saw  more people then I saw even in The human Gw2 start area on Tarnished Coast,go figure.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

Originally posted by Leucent

Pandaland is far from barren. On hellscream, it s pretty famn busy, everywhere in the x pac.

Oh yes, I guess you mean the farmers flying over and gathering the nodes or the hidden treasures...

The leveling areas are already empty. People leveling their main and one alt back when it was released, and now they are just sitting in the town or on their mount waiting for their dungeon or battleground queue. When you level a new character, you meet like one other player every two hours maximum. The world is already dead, except near the cooking dailies area.

There's more people in the world in GW2 than in WOW - and you can't cheat me with hater lies, I actually play both games.

Ya , ok , whatever you say. All I can say, is theres a hell of alot more people in the leveling zones on my server, then there is , in those pics. Hell, my wife re installed GW2, the other day, and she saw a grand total of 3 people in 15 levels, on Sorrow furnace. We see a hell of alot more then that in WoW, without question.

Oh yes, I guess you mean the farmers flying over and gathering the nodes or the hidden treasures...

The leveling areas are already empty. People leveling their main and one alt back when it was released, and now they are just sitting in the town or on their mount waiting for their dungeon or battleground queue. When you level a new character, you meet like one other player every two hours maximum. The world is already dead, except near the cooking dailies area.

There's more people in the world in GW2 than in WOW - and you can't cheat me with hater lies, I actually play both games.

You're just so wrong about WOW,I gave you an example on Dawnbringer in November,not close to dead in Draenei area.Even more peep' then I saw in human start area of GW2.

The problem I see is some fan's/player's of GW2 have become very jaded.Comparing to an 8 yr old game and still come up short from what I've seen.Don't even get started on more recent game's like Swtor,Lotro,EQ2 and other's as I've seen people all over in those game's in the last month.

Arya Stark

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196

3 million sales is pretty damn good for any genre on pc.

I stopd playing gw2 after i hit 80, but so far its my favorite mmorpg. Most i quit long befor i hit the cap. Just waiting for an expansion pack now.

Ya , ok , whatever you say. All I can say, is theres a hell of alot more people in the leveling zones on my server, then there is , in those pics. Hell, my wife re installed GW2, the other day, and she saw a grand total of 3 people in 15 levels, on Sorrow furnace. We see a hell of alot more then that in WoW, without question.

WoW - Europe - Chamber of Aspects server, right during the xmas holidays when all the kids where off schools and adults on a break. Leveling my main from 85 to 90 in Pandaria. I barely encoutered another player except around the cooking town (hilltop) and a couple of other daily quest hubs. It was luck when I saw another leveling character every hour, more like every two hours.

I'm no WoW hater - I don't pay for games I don't like, and I play WoW for 8 years now - but I'm no GW2 hater either, and I know facts when I see them. I meet more people leveling my alts in GW2 than while leveling in Pandaland. Part of the reason is the two game's design, one has flying mounts and dungeon finders so people are totally detached from the world once they hit max level, the other encourages people to still go in the world even at max level.

Telling lies to bash a game is pretty pathetic.

The problem I see here is that you're saying people are telling lies about WOW to bash GW2.That's pretty pathetic to me,cause I bought and played GW2 for over 2 month's,yet I know what the reality is and it's not lies.

Arya Stark

WoW - Europe - Chamber of Aspects server, right during the xmas holidays when all the kids where off schools and adults on a break. Leveling my main from 85 to 90 in Pandaria. I barely encoutered another player except around the cooking town (hilltop) and a couple of other daily quest hubs. It was luck when I saw another leveling character every hour, more like every two hours.

I'm no WoW hater - I don't pay for games I don't like, and I play WoW for 8 years now - but I'm no GW2 hater either, and I know facts when I see them. I meet more people leveling my alts in GW2 than while leveling in Pandaland. Part of the reason is the two game's design, one has flying mounts and dungeon finders so people are totally detached from the world once they hit max level, the other encourages people to still go in the world even at max level.

So now I m telling lies. Ok , whos to say you aren t. I can only tell you what I see and am told. Those are the facts, and thats what I ve seen and been told. Not sure what else you want me to say, but what I m giving you is facts on the servers I play on, or my wife in GW2 I guess. She has no reason to lie to me about GW2 as she thinks it s an ok game.

Lol, Slappy, now you re just wrong. Some people are so clueless.
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

GW2 is a great entry point for players who are new to MMO's and those that are looking for a very casual friendly online gaming experience.

As many have and will state, the game simply doesn't have enough meaningful gameplay / progression options to keep many MMO veterans and hardcore players engaged over the long term. 

Sounds like ANet is seeing this as well which is why the 2013 changes seems to be geared towards player retention which is great.

That's just wrong. I've been playing MMOs for 14 years and have played too many to count during that time. I've logged almost 800 hours so far with GW2 and still going strong! The depth and breadth of gameplay and content is actually pretty staggering. I'm still learning things about the game and I still log in daily with the feeling that there is almost too much to do.

The lack of "meat" in most MMOs seen since the launch of WoW has been discouraging. MMOs with less than 80 hours of content were becoming the norm. At ~800 hours I have repeated some content and had fun doing so, but there are still areas of the game I haven't seen yet.

GW2 puts most other MMOs completely to shame when it comes to "meaningful gameplay".

I hope people see through the negative comments, full of misinformation, that come from people who clearly haven't really played the game or lacked the attention span needed to play it for more than 10-20 hours.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by fiontar
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

GW2 is a great entry point for players who are new to MMO's and those that are looking for a very casual friendly online gaming experience.

As many have and will state, the game simply doesn't have enough meaningful gameplay / progression options to keep many MMO veterans and hardcore players engaged over the long term. 

Sounds like ANet is seeing this as well which is why the 2013 changes seems to be geared towards player retention which is great.

That's just wrong. I've been playing MMOs for 14 years and have played too many to count during that time. I've logged almost 800 hours so far with GW2 and still going strong! The depth and breadth of gameplay and content is actually pretty staggering. I'm still learning things about the game and I still log in daily with the feeling that there is almost too much to do.

The lack of "meat" in most MMOs seen since the launch of WoW has been discouraging. MMOs with less than 80 hours of content were becoming the norm. At ~800 hours I have repeated some content and had fun doing so, but there are still areas of the game I haven't seen yet.

GW2 puts most other MMOs completely to shame when it comes to "meaningful gameplay".

I hope people see through the negative comments, full of misinformation, that come from people who clearly haven't really played the game or lacked the attention span needed to play it for more than 10-20 hours.

I could argue, that what you r saying is just wrong. I ve been playing MMO s for 13 years as well, and GW2 is bar none, the simplest, repetitive, boring, easy and shallow MMO, I ve ever played. I hope people can see through the way too positive posts, full of complete bs, that come from people that have no clue what a good MMO is.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

It is fantastic game - but 3 million ist a disappointment.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Onomic

3 million sales is pretty damn good for any genre on pc.

I agree.

Also I expect more sales in the future once the price of the game drops.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

3 million and did gw2 released in Korean and china yett?

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by sk8chalif

Nope, just west.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

The problem I see here is that you're saying people are telling lies about WOW to bash GW2.That's pretty pathetic to me,cause I bought and played GW2 for over 2 month's,yet I know what the reality is and it's not lies.

Whatever.  It's not a lie, I've been on "new player" servers and full servers and everywhere in between in WoW, and I fully stand by the statements in red, except I never played "Pandaland".  Which is odd, I thought that with the cross server thing, there'd be more people around, not less.

No WoW server I've been on over 4 years and at least half a dozen lvl 85s had tons of players running around zones.  Like the other poster said, it could be because they're doing other things, but it's not an "opinion" that there weren't many people around the zones, no one else was seeing players that I wasn't.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I just hope when it does the people here aren't as cynical about chinese and korean players as they are about their games. I can hear it now:

• Da gold farmerz in china only pay .01 a month ta play Guild Warz tooz!
    • Yar day dont effen pay fo der box!
    • 5 mill kornyan playaz u sayz? Add anudder 15 bucks a month to ANet coffers! har har!
    • I radder has freekun bots dan stoopid azn playaz!
    • Yez go bake 2 playen dat freekun pedeobearz game...Terra!

Or something like that.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• chewy001chewy001 Member Posts: 2
    i also think that it will sell more when Lost Shores comes out and since Mists of Pandaria hasn't done so well has helped sales as well. Oh and that you don't need  a subscription helps too.

Get the latest MMO & MMORPG strategy, tips, news from the best free MMO strategy guides for WoW, GW2, Diablo 3, FFXIV, Neverwinter, SWTOR, Eve and more at http://www.mmo-strategy-guides.com/

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

I just hope when it does the people here aren't as cynical about chinese and korean players as they are about their games. I can hear it now:

• Da gold farmerz in china only pay .01 a month ta play Guild Warz tooz!
    • Yar day dont effen pay fo der box!
    • 5 mill kornyan playaz u sayz? Add anudder 15 bucks a month to ANet coffers! har har!
    • I radder has freekun bots dan stoopid azn playaz!
    • Yez go bake 2 playen dat freekun pedeobearz game...Terra!

Or something like that.

Hmm okay. I only bring that up because some people will said . Oh only 3 million when WoW... just an Exemple.

So ya i think for only the West 3 million is good enouf and great for them.

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Originally posted by Warband
    Guild Wars 2 has sold over 3 million copies since its August, according to an update on the MMO’s website from director Colin Johanson, who also outlined the team’s 2013 plans for the title starting with expanding and leveraging the achievement system.

So now that the game has sold 3 million, what are peoples opinions on it's relative success or dissapointments in comparison to recent themepark mmo's and people, still playing there views on the state of the game.

I can't deny that I am not actively playing it. My interest in MMOs is rather extinguished right now. I do play it every time new content arrives though and thats enough for me. I enjoy the game quite a bit. Once they add the WvW progression I will play it alot more though. The game has certainly been a success on all fronts.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

3 million is really good for a B2P game.  I imagine they have a huge budget to account for though, with advertising and shills.

I recall earlier this year some quote about GW2 being comparable to WoW in sales or something to that effect.  Hinting that GW2 would kill WoW, more or less.  Anyone have that quote?  It was from an ArenaNet rep, and publicized.

While Blizzard has most of it's customer base in China (paying 6 cents per hour gametime and free expansions), I believe a good estimate for their customer base in the West is around 4 million, currently.  Maybe less. (typical estimates are 40% West, 60% China, from past investor statements and current trends)

GW2 came close .. but there is no way in hell all 3 million are still playing the game.  Less than 1 million sure, but more than 500k .. thank you EA for that beautiful line.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I would say WoWs population is closer to 2.5 million in the west, they only sold 2.7 mil of the expansion and some of those would have left already.
  • BaleoutBaleout Member Posts: 141
    Originally posted by tyfon

I played for two weeks trying to have fun, but the lack of tactic, little char progression/diversification and most of all the lack of fun stopped me.

It's just not for someone who likes deep systems, challenging gameplay and ingame rewards.

Hmmm must be a Wow  player

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Originally posted by evilastro
    I would say WoWs population is closer to 2.5 million in the west, they only sold 2.7 mil of the expansion and some of those would have left already.

Yep. Lots of the "subs" for WoW are based on time cards that last a week or two. They don't have the same sub system the states do. It gets kinda fishy at that point. 2.5-3m sounds about right though in terms of US subs.