Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO vs AOC. My comeback

Few years ago i was disappointed with both games, now i tried again.

First i resubed to LOTRO  and bought 3 expansion packs (it is cheap, 20$). Yesterday i tried AOC again, already had 40 lev Barbarian there, well i didn't  stop to play from yeterday and i made 5 more levels.

1. Graphic---LOTRO nice  Directx 11 graphic, little cartoonish but very nice, . AOC Directx 10. very realistic and very ambiental.

LOTRO works  at full settings around 80-90 fps but for unknown reason i have some strange annoying delays, like hiting in to walls all the time, my latency is around 50-60ms so it is not internet  connection problem, never had any problem with latency in any other mmo.

AOC works around 40-50 fps smooth as heaven or better to say smooth as wow. It is pure joy to play.

2. Sound----LOTRO most of the time very, very anoying guitar banging, it looks to me that some nasty dwarf is playing something like -plang! pling! peng! pong! Brrrrrrrrrr pure horror. 

AOC sound is amazing like from movie, mysterious, ambiental.

3. Combat-- LOTRO hmm.. it is ok but not very impressive and  i have again some strange delays and interruptions, pvp is like in wow but very limited and not so smooth, only in one land you can fight, freeps vs creeps. Ok you can duel but it is far from quality of wow.

AOC--smooth, amazing, impressive and different. I love this animations of beheading. Don't have one single problem in combat, i'm playing on rage eu server and killing never stops, pure adrenaline when you do questing

3.Questing-----LOTRO- Awesome story and epic quests, pure movie feeling. Regular quests are anoying and so stupid so you need to watch which one you do or you can get serious brain damage. For example in WOW you go  kill some monsters in one area and you never return back, you go to another area but here in LOTRO you kill 10 boars and you ride 10 minutes back to quest giver and he sends you to some other quest giver and this one gives you almost same boars killing quest in same area, something like this could happen a lot of times. O man! That is most anoying questing ever-

AOC --well i was afraid to do quests here again, but what a awesome surprise (after week of LOTRO no wonder). Almost any  quest have a sense now. For example in LOTRO you go kill some orcs and you do just that, you kill them and it is over but in AOC you go to kill bandits, you must find key to open cages to release prisoners, you need to save some others which are hanging on stakes, it is always some story there. I did some quest in cave for example and it was so much to do, you do 4-5 things before you come to the end. AND MOST IMPORTANT FOR ME- You need to watch your back because enemy is always somewhere around

My conclusion --I  want to max level my character in LOTRO because i bought expansions and story quests are amazing. But when my sub  ends  i go to play AOC at full pace. AOC is now my favorite comeback game and i could say that LOTRO lose ground in his strongest domain --PVE, about pvp  we don't need to even talk.. Sorry for my bad  English :)

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Hahah been so bored with MMO's lately you've given me the buzz to go back and try some older ones. I was level 40 something in LOTRO (47 I believe), and maxxed out in AoC. I think I might just try both again. Nice comparisons.
  • zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Originally posted by madazz
    Hahah been so bored with MMO's lately you've given me the buzz to go back and try some older ones. I was level 40 something in LOTRO (47 I believe), and maxxed out in AoC. I think I might just try both again. Nice comparisons.

Thank you :)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Both wow clones but Aoc has better combat
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Funny . . was just getting bored of LOTRO around level 25 and considered checking out AoC.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Problem is this...

LOTRO - Endgame grind for gear is HORRID.  Getting a primary weapon upgraded properly takes forever.  Most classes require more than one for multiple specs so double or triple that grind.  Gear is also bad.  You also have to grind kills/quests for the perk thingies (forget what they're called).   Simply put, while I mostly enjoyed the game... the grind in LOTRO killed it for me.

AOC - Pay2Win.  You can buy victory with gear and such that is very overpowered leveling 1-80 or whatever cap is now.  Sure, some of the best endgame items not not be avail for purchase but you can still buy some major boosts/buffs/pots/advantages.

It's not fun to work hard and spend a lot of time on something that another player can just buy with cash.

Originally posted by Painlezz

Problem is this...

LOTRO - Endgame grind for gear is HORRID.  Getting a primary weapon upgraded properly takes forever.  Most classes require more than one for multiple specs so double or triple that grind.  Gear is also bad.  You also have to grind kills/quests for the perk thingies (forget what they're called).   Simply put, while I mostly enjoyed the game... the grind in LOTRO killed it for me.

AOC - Pay2Win.  You can buy victory with gear and such that is very overpowered leveling 1-80 or whatever cap is now.  Sure, some of the best endgame items not not be avail for purchase but you can still buy some major boosts/buffs/pots/advantages.

It's not fun to work hard and spend a lot of time on something that another player can just buy with cash.

Well it is the problem with f2p but i think you get a lot from both games. You must buy something, they can't live from air. But like you said, you can have best end gear without spending money  that is most important. Problem would be if you can't get gear at all. I'm on leveling now and i found AOC much more fun

Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    Funny . . was just getting bored of LOTRO around level 25 and considered checking out AoC.

yea :)  Pain starts somewhere around level 20.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

umm WoW clones..
    I never played AoC (may be an idea!) but LoTRO is NOT clone of fun game WoW which I really enjoyed!
    LoTRO was somewhat boring, OP truly stated about quests, they were just annoying, lot of mobs make it harder then need for low lvl like I was.
    then restrictions about f2p account made it like unplayable before pay like 9$ per month.

honestly, I preferred to pay 15$ for WoW and get fun.

may be I'm wrong but why we all think that deep game must be hard and slow grind? from all hard and boring games I forced me to play (runescape was my first MMO and I got allergic to grind after it.=D), nothing I want to play again.

but games with lot of fun and less challenge, like WoW (not vanilla), get me back all time.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

/snip

may be I'm wrong but why we all think that deep game must be hard and slow grind? from all hard and boring games I forced me to play (runescape was my first MMO and I got allergic to grind after it.=D), nothing I want to play again.

but games with lot of fun and less challenge, like WoW (not vanilla), get me back all time.

Pretty sure 'deep game' doesn't mean 'hard and slow grind'.

Chess is a game that is more deep than any video game ever released and it is not a 'slow grind'.

Some people find the 'hard and slow grind' fun, some do not. Like yourself, I don't find 'hard and slow grind' fun either. :)

I think LoTRO is a world I want to be in more than AoC but that could be my recent viewing of 'The Hobbit' talking. XD

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378

Problem is this...

Nope.  No pay to win in AoC.  Please explain how exactly?  Nothing in the cash shop is Pay to win at all.

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Both wow clones but Aoc has better combat

Funny how much it feels like  your not actually playing thoe , hmmm...

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Those two MMORPG are on the exact same level in my top list. Both are great games, have their own cool features, and I see myself playing any of those. Big selling point of AoC over LoTRO is PvP, while LoTRO cant boast better PvE (I like quests and dungeons in AoC more). But epic storyline and roleplay make up for it.

Overal I prefer AoC slightly more, but I like both

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

LOTRO - Endgame grind for gear is HORRID. 

Just as mindw0rk, for me LotRO and AoC are in the top4 games as well. And as jpnz, I also hate the grind in them :)

But I think you're wrong, LotRO's mid-endgame grind is very bad, but not even close to Khitai... I really love AoC, and the scenery / exploration part of Khitai is keep up with the rest of Hyboria, too bad that the rest of the expansion is worthless for someone who hates grinding. To be honest, noone from my alts (not a single one) has ever touched the factions there... Even the thought to start that months-long grind is horrid. I rather spend those months to play through the game with a new alt and enjoy the world along the way.

So I just want to correct that line, AoC's endgame grind is horrid, LotRO's is "only" very bad :)

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

My problem with this is... who cares?  What difference does it make what other players do?  It's like saying you don't want to play a single-player game because other players might use GOD mode to beat it.  So the hell what?

This is where the absurd e-peen waving gets people.  Stop worrying about what other people do and just  go have fun!

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

Originally posted by Cephus404

My problem with this is... who cares?  What difference does it make what other players do?  It's like saying you don't want to play a single-player game because other players might use GOD mode to beat it.  So the hell what?

This is where the absurd e-peen waving gets people.  Stop worrying about what other people do and just  go have fun!

Exactly!  And that can be very painful for someone who is obsessed with ''what other players have''. Specially in PVP game like AOC.  Like you said, who cares

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lol Aoc isn't a pvp game.

It might have been once, its a wow style raid grinder these days, with go pve some shrines "pvp" if the mood takes you.
    My  AOC Barbarian have  43  kills now, died  25 times  :). I try always to attack  equal level -4 +4. I didn't buy anything from shop, not  even a horse. So  much about P2W
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Lol Aoc isn't a pvp game.

It might have been once, its a wow style raid grinder these days, with go pve some shrines "pvp" if the mood takes you.

Well, you are for sure hardcore pvp player. For us noobs it is good pvp game. You are on another godlike level and we are just normal mortals. You can't  compare this 2 worlds

• X31b0rgX31b0rg Member Posts: 3

Hey Guys..

i start laying LotRO last week and i like this amazing game... the first game where i have fun with questing cause its so story based... dont know the endgame content.... but untill now, i enjoy it very much!!!

best regards..

Manuel :)

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329
    I played LOTRO in beta and twice since then.  The first time I got to about level 20, the lonelands killed it for me.  The second time I got a little further along to the mid 30s and got bored again.  The best part for me was The Shire, nothing else came close as far as immersion and fun.  For some reason I never tried AOC.  I'm reading through the Conan novels now so maybe the time is right to check the game out.  Thanks for the thread!
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by zomard100
    Originally posted by Cephus404

Exactly!  And that can be very painful for someone who is obsessed with ''what other players have''. Specially in PVP game like AOC.  Like you said, who cares

Right on. This mentality has so validity in pvp .. but in pve???? I play D3 .. i wouldn't care less if the guy i group with spend money on RMAH. In fact, it is a plus because a) he probably is my customer!! .. and b) he would be geared, and so a better player to group with.

And this idea about people buying stuff not know their game is just a bunch of balony. In fact, if you see a guy decked in the correct billion gold (or whatever real money equivalent) gear, he is more than likely to know his class and build better. Otherwise, why would he throw money at it? No noob is going to spend $$$ in a game he does not understand.

I just sold a $40 piece of gear last week. I highly doubt a noob will buy it. Only a pro will know which of the stat has a very high roll to worth that price. And only a pro will know what build will need that stat.