Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should CCP be ashamed of themselves?

13»

Comments

• leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135

As far as I know, they're currently doing a 3 weeks long, global, interal feature testing of WoDMMO RIGHT NOW!! Still a long wait a head of us, but at least now we know that they're actually doing some progress. There're some tiny information on twitter and the WoDnews website if you like.

Ok, now back to the topic. CCP have problems they need to iron out, but any major project like this will take not only time, but also a certain amount of luck. The developement of World of Darkness MMO might not be as smooth as we hoped, but that's just the way it is. In my opinion, NO ONE should be ashamed. I'm sure the developers at Atlanta office and White Wolf are doing everything they can to prevent the game from dying in its cradle, even if it mean that they have to work on some side projects for EVE & DUST and will never get credit for whatsoever. As for CCP, I don't mean to sound condescending but... do you even know how much money you'll need to support a sixty people team for just one month? I'm currently working in a similar industry and... well lets just say I believe every single day while WoD is still not profitable, guys at CCP will ask their children to pray sincerely for the game before they go to bed.

As for the part you compare a MMO to a single player RPG... beside the fact that they are different in so many ways, there's one additional and quite important fact you should and might notice: MMO tend not to stay popular for a long time nowadays. You see EQ, WoW, EvE, Rift, GW2 or maybe another one or two and that's it, and some of these aren't even close to popular! The population of a MMO drop so fast that you'll think their developers must have done something horribly wrong with their game while in fact they did not, people just lose interest and move on. It's a lot harder to make a successful MMO than to make an awesome single player RPG simply because you'll need your audience to play the same game for years, and everything that the developers can think of to make their game CONSTANTLY feels fun have pertty much been done in WoW(grindy dungeons & raids, stupid daily and all that) and EVE(free-as-a-bird sandbox elements and well designed social interaction).

I'm not angry at all that the god dame game's developement is takeing fxcking forever(...), but I will be if they end up giveing us a game that goes free to play in one year and no one even remember it in five. For now, let's just be patient and see how it goes, shall we? :)

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by Garkan
    Originally posted by Cursedsei
    Originally posted by bcrankshaw
    Originally posted by sketocafe
    CCP is making an MMO, CD Project is making a standalone RPG. So no.

Derp, I covered that. Fact is the game CD Projekt are attempting is as complex and as challenging as creating an MMO. The challenges they face are different but both are difficult in there own way. 

CD Projekt are creating RPG mechanics covering over 4700 pages in 44 books, in a game filled with huge detail and no set linear path. Its basically trying to create something as detail heavy and as free formed as Morrowind combined with one of Biowares better RPGs like DA:O. The game will also have true next gen graphics. This is not something thats easily done

I don't get your point, it makes no sense

Why would CCP be ashamed because another development company is making a complex single player RPG? Should they also be embarrassed because Bethesda made Skyrim and it was sold millions of copies?

There is very little correlation technically around the development of how an MMO and a single player game is designed. So no, CCP shouldn't be ashamed

-snipping a bunch of useless stuff-

What you don't get, is that CCP has to continually funnel money into EvE, their only real source of income. Remember Monoclegate? That cost them funds due to loss of players, and have been scrambling to implement more player-wanted mechanics and overhauls into EvE Online.

Supporting servers, paying staff for development of new content as well as reworking what is there, it all costs money. Money that is also being used to fund Dust 514's development (Which as a F2P title means there is no guarantee of money from every player). At the time, their cash was split in three ways, EvE, Dust, and WoD.

Considering one of those three titles weren't even in a showable state, when money-squeezing time came, they had to throw one title on the backburner, in order to support their money makers and thus make money.

CD Projekt doesn't have that issue. At most, they pay for upkeep on a site, upkeep that is far less costly than an MMO, and doesn't require nearly as much support. They also aren't stuck constantly having to develop and update a game while trying to work on others. While there is no monthly source of income, overhead is also more than likely lower.

And nowhere has it been stated at all that developing their Cyberpunk title is as costly or hard as an MMO, so you can drop that weak bit of an opinionated argument right there. There is only one title that the Projekt's dev team Red is working on, and thats the Cyberpunk game, with rumors of a 3rd Witcher title popping up.

That's still 2 games compared to Eve's 3 (counting WoD of course).

So no. CCP shouldn't be ashamed of themselves, because there is no bloody reason to. You though, should certainly feel ashamed for yourself due to your lack of insight into any of this, despite you listing off what I essentially just did, as well as an obvious lack of understanding on your part towards the studios and there positions.

Thread Derp MkII 

I listed CCPs financial position relative to CD Projekt in the OP. You also seem unaware of the costs implied in creating next Gen graphics, Epic and Crytek estimate next gen graphics will cost twice or even three times as much to create compared to this gen and will need a huge increase in development time, more artists need to work on the massive level of detail and lighting effects. The Programing behind them is also more difficult. 

So the graphics are a challenge enough then you marry that to a very complicated game, I will not list the challenges again to people who just do not get the challenges that Devs face when creating a game as complicated as a triple AAA next gen RPG with a world as detailed as CyberPunk will be. A game like Cyberpunk runs into the Millions. Other games with multiplatform releases easily hits $30 million, then CyberPunk has the extra costs related to its next gen graphics 

Good Old Games needs development time too, for example they have began converting all their titles to be guaranteed to work in windows 8. 

Just maintaining a website indeed, you have all the gall to call me unaware of things. You didn't have a clue about the development cost of next gen graphics nor how much a game like this would cost and you called GoG "just maintaining a website" Please do some research before trying to call me out.

Sorry guy but you can't compare RPGs to MMORPGs ever. Also nextgen graphics (w/e that actually is) takes longer time sure but as the tools develop as well it is not such a huge increase in time, I know this as I am a 3D artist and sit with this stuff day in and day out. Look back to the time before sculpting programs and how much longer things took to make at that point with great detail. zBrush keeps giving us just more and more lovely features so I have no doubt that instead of getting harder it will stay approx the same or even get easier.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Both CCP and CD Projekt RED have announced that they are working on games.

The only diffrence I can see between the two developers (aside the MMORPG/RPG thing) is CD Projekt RED gave a release date of no sooner than 2015 - which isn't really a release date at all is it?

On behalf of CCP, as someone that has nothing to do with working for the company, I'll make a statement saying that WOD will not be out before 2015 either.  There, now CCP can hold their heads up high.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by leoo88556

As far as I know, they're currently doing a 3 weeks long, global, interal feature testing of WoDMMO RIGHT NOW!! Still a long wait a head of us, but at least now we know that they're actually doing some progress. There're some tiny information on twitter and the WoDnews website if you like.

Ok, now back to the topic. CCP have problems they need to iron out, but any major project like this will take not only time, but also a certain amount of luck. The developement of World of Darkness MMO might not be as smooth as we hoped, but that's just the way it is. In my opinion, NO ONE should be ashamed. I'm sure the developers at Atlanta office and White Wolf are doing everything they can to prevent the game from dying in its cradle, even if it mean that they have to work on some side projects for EVE & DUST and will never get credit for whatsoever. As for CCP, I don't mean to sound condescending but... do you even know how much money you'll need to support a sixty people team for just one month? I'm currently working in a similar industry and... well lets just say I believe every single day while WoD is still not profitable, guys at CCP will ask their children to pray sincerely for the game before they go to bed.

As for the part you compare a MMO to a single player RPG... beside the fact that they are different in so many ways, there's one additional and quite important fact you should and might notice: MMO tend not to stay popular for a long time nowadays. You see EQ, WoW, EvE, Rift, GW2 or maybe another one or two and that's it, and some of these aren't even close to popular! The population of a MMO drop so fast that you'll think their developers must have done something horribly wrong with their game while in fact they did not, people just lose interest and move on. It's a lot harder to make a successful MMO than to make an awesome single player RPG simply because you'll need your audience to play the same game for years, and everything that the developers can think of to make their game CONSTANTLY feels fun have pertty much been done in WoW(grindy dungeons & raids, stupid daily and all that) and EVE(free-as-a-bird sandbox elements and well designed social interaction).

I'm not angry at all that the god dame game's developement is takeing fxcking forever(...), but I will be if they end up giveing us a game that goes free to play in one year and no one even remember it in five. For now, let's just be patient and see how it goes, shall we? :)

Um, didn't CCP say that WoD is being designed and released from the get go as a F2P game?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by Malcanis

Um, didn't CCP say that WoD is being designed and released from the get go as a F2P game?

Really! I must have missed that some how. Care to share your source of this information? 

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Hmmm on searching, I find a widespread assumption (which I shared) that it is, but I can't find any actual statement from CCP to that effect.  I could have sworn they were going for a F2P/Vanity Cash Shop (which would be an absolute no-brainer for a vampire MMO) model, but I can't see where I got that from.  I retract the assertion.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

As far as I know, they're currently doing a 3 weeks long, global, interal feature testing of WoDMMO RIGHT NOW!! Still a long wait a head of us, but at least now we know that they're actually doing some progress. There're some tiny information on twitter and the WoDnews website if you like.Ok, now back to the topic. CCP have problems they need to iron out, but any major project like this will take not only time, but also a certain amount of luck. The developement of World of Darkness MMO might not be as smooth as we hoped, but that's just the way it is. In my opinion, NO ONE should be ashamed. I'm sure the developers at Atlanta office and White Wolf are doing everything they can to prevent the game from dying in its cradle, even if it mean that they have to work on some side projects for EVE & DUST and will never get credit for whatsoever. As for CCP, I don't mean to sound condescending but... do you even know how much money you'll need to support a sixty people team for just one month? I'm currently working in a similar industry and... well lets just say I believe every single day while WoD is still not profitable, guys at CCP will ask their children to pray sincerely for the game before they go to bed.As for the part you compare a MMO to a single player RPG... beside the fact that they are different in so many ways, there's one additional and quite important fact you should and might notice: MMO tend not to stay popular for a long time nowadays. You see EQ, WoW, EvE, Rift, GW2 or maybe another one or two and that's it, and some of these aren't even close to popular! The population of a MMO drop so fast that you'll think their developers must have done something horribly wrong with their game while in fact they did not, people just lose interest and move on. It's a lot harder to make a successful MMO than to make an awesome single player RPG simply because you'll need your audience to play the same game for years, and everything that the developers can think of to make their game CONSTANTLY feels fun have pertty much been done in WoW(grindy dungeons & raids, stupid daily and all that) and EVE(free-as-a-bird sandbox elements and well designed social interaction).I'm not angry at all that the god dame game's developement is takeing fxcking forever(...), but I will be if they end up giveing us a game that goes free to play in one year and no one even remember it in five. For now, let's just be patient and see how it goes, shall we? :)

They've stated that they have 60 developers working on the game. I don't know how many developers it takes to make an MMO, but sixty people sounds like a lot of people. Even if they are working on the game part time, that's still a lot of people. That does not sound like they are giving up on the game to me. But again, it took them a good ten years (initial development + post release development) to really get Eve going. They aren't really quick, but they are determined. I would be surprised if they actually gave up on WoD.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Jester92Jester92 Member Posts: 156
    May I note that Cyberpunk 2077 is by the same people who did the witcher series... And I love the witcher series... And frankly CCP should just keep focusing on EVE and Dust and wait until they have the time to make their next game correctly instead of just scrapping up a team and making an OK game as compared to their two very well off games.

J. B.