Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 million copies sold since august general consensus so far

Comments

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Still love the game.  I log in for at least 8 hours every week as I have since release.  I still have a ton of stuff to do for my main character (don't even have full exotics yet) and there is still a bunch of stuff I haven't done much of.

For the most part, the events they've had have been a blast as well and I look forward to 2013 being even better!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723
    I do wonder about an asian release considering NcSoft's presence there and fact like a large proportion of D3's sales and Wow's user base came from there. The number could probably grow a fair amount if pulled of right.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

GW2 sold over 2 million in the first 2 weeks.

In September they sold around 500,000 between the US and Europe. Which would put the total at around 2.5 million.

Which means they have sold around 500,000 in the months since.

Not bad but also not good for a Buy to play MMO.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Tried it, thought it was trash, but there are alot of people that do enjoy it so good for them, Guild Wars 2 looks like it's going to be successful for years, dont think anyone can deny that.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

GW2 sold over 2 million in the first 2 weeks.

In September they sold around 500,000 between the US and Europe. Which would put the total at around 2.5 million.

Which means they have sold around 500,000 in the months since.

Not bad but also not good for a Buy to play MMO.

Umm we don't know the break down for september and the number is flawed considering 13 days of september near half the month was included in those 2 weeks. so it's either 500k an extra 17 days, or more spread over the 3-4 months. Consider many sites didn't even have stock for the game for a few weeks right up until christmas I was still hearing about it, it was a weird periodThe stopped selling the game for a period time even..

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by PieRad

There's obviously a difference between financial success and game success.

If they sold 3 million copies, then they made money, and it is indeed a financial success.

But that doesn't say jack about how good or how fun the game is, the majority of those sales were done off of hype, promises, and peoples own imagination of what the game would be like.

So is the game itself (gameplay) a success, that's subjective, and my answer is, no.

That is YOUR answer - MY ANSWER IS YES to gameplay success. We cancel each other out :-)

What was the point of that? lol

Yes it's MY answer, or I wouldn't have said it.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

GW2 is a great entry point for players who are new to MMO's and those that are looking for a very casual friendly online gaming experience.

As many have and will state, the game simply doesn't have enough meaningful gameplay / progression options to keep many MMO veterans and hardcore players engaged over the long term. 

Sounds like ANet is seeing this as well which is why the 2013 changes seems to be geared towards player retention which is great.

Aye, the game is perfect for casual players. Too much hand holding for me to have stuck with the game. I knew it was a typical themepark though when I bought it. I treated it like a PS3 game, I bought it, completed it, gave it away.

I think the problem with GW2 is that it a skill based game and folks like the above posters have a real problem getting around the concept ...gone is the gear grind crutch that soothes folks ego's .Meaningful gameplay was grinding gear drops ,the reason someone kills you in pvp was they had better gear but no in GW2 they take away the ego buffer ,now the reason you lose is your opponent is better .MMO veterans and hard-core players have always known that gear grinds and farming drops were just added to keep the cannon fodder happy and thinking they were competitive ...GW2 cuts the cord, it's builds and skills the reign over grinding and loot drops .

Originally posted by Warband
    Originally posted by Xiaoki GW2 sold over 2 million in the first 2 weeks. In September they sold around 500,000 between the US and Europe. Which would put the total at around 2.5 million. Which means they have sold around 500,000 in the months since. Not bad but also not good for a Buy to play MMO.
    Umm we don't know the break down for september and the number is flawed considering 13 days of september near half the month was included in those 2 weeks. so it's either 500k an extra 17 days, or more spread over the 3-4 months. Consider many sites didn't even have stock for the game for a few weeks right up until christmas I was still hearing about it, it was a weird periodThe stopped selling the game for a period time even..

Yes, we dont know the exact breakdown but its mainly due to digital sales not in what month games were sold or when they halted sales.

Considering they bragged about 1 million preorders, a majority most likely online, its hard to say how many copies were counted as sold in August and which of the copies were sold in September to comprise the "2 million sold in first 2 weeks".

What I can tell you for sure is that based on NPD sales data GW2 sold less than 300,000 in the US in September.

The rest may be analyst speculation based on how well other games did in relation to GW2 and such but then what would that put the next 3.5 months at?

With Buy to play games box sales will be very important even months or years after release.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

GW2 is a great entry point for players who are new to MMO's and those that are looking for a very casual friendly online gaming experience.

As many have and will state, the game simply doesn't have enough meaningful gameplay / progression options to keep many MMO veterans and hardcore players engaged over the long term. 

Sounds like ANet is seeing this as well which is why the 2013 changes seems to be geared towards player retention which is great.

Aye, the game is perfect for casual players. Too much hand holding for me to have stuck with the game. I knew it was a typical themepark though when I bought it. I treated it like a PS3 game, I bought it, completed it, gave it away.

I think the problem with GW2 is that it a skill based game and folks like the above posters have a real problem getting around the concept ...gone is the gear grind crutch that soothes folks ego's .Meaningful gameplay was grinding gear drops ,the reason someone kills you in pvp was they had better gear but no in GW2 they take away the ego buffer ,now the reason you lose is your opponent is better .MMO veterans and hard-core players have always known that gear grinds and farming drops were just added to keep the cannon fodder happy and thinking they were competitive ...GW2 cuts the cord, it's builds and skills the reign over grinding and loot drops .

You're wrong, I despise gear grinding BS that I had to do in order to play with my family, friends and guild in WoW. I prefer real mmo's like the ones in the past Ultima Online, DAOC, Asheron's Call. Don't lump me in there with those gear grinding hamsters.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    I'm glad this game exists for the people who are into this type of play.  I'm very thankful there are much more interesting and deeper games coming though.  I think things are going to get interesting from here on out.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Originally posted by Xiaoki GW2 sold over 2 million in the first 2 weeks. In September they sold around 500,000 between the US and Europe. Which would put the total at around 2.5 million. Which means they have sold around 500,000 in the months since. Not bad but also not good for a Buy to play MMO.

Yes, we dont know the exact breakdown but its mainly due to digital sales not in what month games were sold or when they halted sales.

Considering they bragged about 1 million preorders, a majority most likely online, its hard to say how many copies were counted as sold in August and which of the copies were sold in September to comprise the "2 million sold in first 2 weeks".

What I can tell you for sure is that based on NPD sales data GW2 sold less than 300,000 in the US in September.

The rest may be analyst speculation based on how well other games did in relation to GW2 and such but then what would that put the next 3.5 months at?

With Buy to play games box sales will be very important even months or years after release.

GW1 sold over 7 million boxes.

It took this amount of time to reach 1 million boxes.

GW2 also has the gem store from the get go.

Additionally Anet is not keeping its ~250 workers to keep GW2 working, they are working on the next expansion.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Additionally Anet is not keeping its ~250 workers to keep GW2 working, they are working on the next expansion.

They are hiring some more.

Hardly a sign of failure or underperforming. Considering somehow theres a thesis here that "every MMO fires half of its staff at launch or shortly after" :)

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Guild Wars 2 has sold over 3 million copies since its August, according to an update on the MMO’s website from director Colin Johanson, who also outlined the team’s 2013 plans for the title starting with expanding and leveraging the achievement system.

So now that the game has sold 3 million, what are peoples opinions on it's relative success or dissapointments in comparison to recent themepark mmo's and people, still playing there views on the state of the game.

I remember they talking about more than 5 mill like a month before launch. And for a B2P MMO over hyped like GW2 was, 3 mill is not that great. 

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Apr. 10, 2012: ArenaNET announces they are accepting pre-purchases for GW2 but give no release date.

So ArenaNET has sold 3 million copies of GW2 since April not August. So you do the math:

4/10/2012 to 1/15/2013

Nine months GW2 has been up for purchase with only 3 million being sold in that time frame. Sounds less impressive. Don't let that official date or that misleading headline fool you. The person asking the question let ArenaNET slip them a mickey on that one and ArenaNET is making it seems to people not aware of the pre-purchase date that GW2 sold 3 million copies in 4 months, which is not the case.

Example if I sold 3 copies of GW2 on Monday and then turn around and sold 2 more on Tuesday and you ask me how many copies of GW2 have I sold since Tuesday, the correct answer would be 2 not 5.

If instead you asked me how many copies of GW2 have I sold to date, then the correct answer would be 5. With no one the wiser that I started selling them a day early.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

Apr. 10, 2012: ArenaNET announces they are accepting pre-purchases for GW2 but give no release date.

So ArenaNET has sold 3 million copies of GW2 since April not August. So you do the math:

4/10/2012 to 1/15/2013

Ten months GW2 has been up for purchase with only 3 million being sold in that time frame. Sounds less impressive. Don't let that official date or that misleading headline fool you. The person asking the question let ArenaNET slip them a mickey on that one and ArenaNET is making it seems to people not aware of the pre-purchase date that GW2 sold 3 million copies in 5 months, which is not the case.

Example if I sold 3 copies of GW2 on Monday and then turn around and sold 2 more on Tuesday and you ask me how many copies of GW2 have I sold since Tuesday, the correct answer would be 2 not 5.

If instead you asked me how many copies of GW2 have I sold to date, then the correct answer would be 5. With no one the wiser that I started selling them a day early.

Intersting point, the straight from the source says "It’s been a fantastic ride so far – in the few months since Guild Wars 2 launched we’ve sold more than three million games and have become the most critically acclaimed MMO of 2012"

So unless lying it means they've sold over 3 million copies since launch, and then the added whateveridon'tthinkitwaseverannounced number of prepurchases.

GW1 sold over 7 million boxes.It took this amount of time to reach 1 million boxes.GW2 also has the gem store from the get go. Additionally Anet is not keeping its ~250 workers to keep GW2 working, they are working on the next expansion.
    No one cares how many copies GW1 sold. Also, that 7 million includes the original and the expansions and the collection editions over the course of like 6 years.

Why do you keep trotting that out like its some great achievement?

And what does it have to do with Guild Wars 2? Whatever sales GW1 had really has no bearing on GW2.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

No one cares how many copies GW1 sold. Also, that 7 million includes the original and the expansions and the collection editions over the course of like 6 years.

Why do you keep trotting that out like its some great achievement?

And what does it have to do with Guild Wars 2? Whatever sales GW1 had really has no bearing on GW2.

No it doesn't. It's 7 million unique boxes sold, meaning 7 million account. That number does not include expansions. Look at NCSoft earnings reports for proof.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by dlld

4/10/2012 to 1/15/2013

Ten months GW2 has been up for purchase with only 3 million being sold in that time frame. Sounds less impressive. Don't let that official date or that misleading headline fool you. The person asking the question let ArenaNET slip them a mickey on that one and ArenaNET is making it seems to people not aware of the pre-purchase date that GW2 sold 3 million copies in 5 months, which is not the case.

Intersting point, the straight from the source says "It’s been a fantastic ride so far – in the few months since Guild Wars 2 launched we’ve sold more than three million games and have become the most critically acclaimed MMO of 2012"

So unless lying it means they've sold over 3 million copies since launch, and then the added whateveridon'tthinkitwaseverannounced number of prepurchases.

I believe it was around 1 million prepurchases. 

Also @Ramonski: It was 5 million. They projected 3 million purchases by the end of 2012. And if you include prepurchase numbers, as well as 2 million purchases last time the number was announced, they made that.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

They sell a lot of Big Mac's too. That fact doesn't make it a great sandwich. It is just familiar and easily digestable. Kinda like GW2.

I wonder how many people will be playing regularly after the next new game drops. Don't tell me it is buy to play and people can come back anytime they want. I know this. I just wonder will they? Maybe for events.

To me, the buy to play just means I am no longer obligated to log in. At least I don't have to go cancel my sub.

I bought GW2 (actually it was a gift) I treated it like a single player game. It was the only (online) game I got in 2012.

2013 is not looking any better. IMO.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by bookworm438

4/10/2012 to 1/15/2013

Also @Ramonski: It was 5 million. They projected 3 million purchases by the end of 2012. And if you include prepurchase numbers, as well as 2 million purchases last time the number was announced, they made that.

Stop trying to inflate the numbers. What was 5 million? The man said over 3 million copies have been sold. He did not say over 3 million copies have been sold which brings our total units sold to over 5 million now did he? My point is the dates not the numbers. Those he made clear. It's the dates he's trying to use fuzzy math with to make it seem like GW2 was selling like hotcakes in 4 months. To which I respond if that is the case he would have followed up with that or we'd see ArenaNET announcing: Over 5 million copies sold! Which they are not.

Just wanted to add a quote from the article in question:

Just two weeks after launch, Guild Wars 2 had reached 2 million sales and the total now stands at 3 million.

Two weeks after launch: 2 million (which is really 5 months not 2 weeks worth of sales 4/10/12- 9/11/12)

Total now: 3 million

Why are you adding 2 million and 3 million? When he's clearly saying it jumped from 2 million to 3 million.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Originally posted by bookworm438

4/10/2012 to 1/15/2013

Stop trying to inflate the numbers. What was 5 million? The man said over 3 million copies have been sold. He did not say over 3 million copies have been sold which brings our total units sold to over 5 million now did he? My point is the dates not the numbers. Those he made clear. It's the dates he's trying to use fuzzy math with to make it seem like GW2 was selling like hotcakes in 4 months. To which I respond if that is the case he would have followed up with that or we'd see ArenaNET announcing: Over 5 million copies sold! Which they are not.

Haha! You tell em !   I love this guys math. So if they announce 3.5 Million games sold in 2 months does that add up 8 .5 million sold? LOL

Hire this man to the accounting department immediatly !

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

still play it as it free and nothing else appeals me now.
    game is ok, very good looking, only sort of boring (seems they will add content, lets see).

I recall you to see how many perma bans was made after release. ANet ban you for like any false move.
    Don't get me wrong, I report all bots and gold sellers / spammers in any game I play, just seems at GW2 are more reasons to be banned.

I guess some of these banned players simply bought 2nd copy as 1st lesson was not enough.
    Also gold sellers spent a lot on clients as they got banned fast (and need to buy game again).

Problem is of said 3 mil may be 30% or so real play the game and not just log for less then hour time to time, noticed cases inside guild.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

This is fairly pathetic you can preorder some games YEARS in advance in fact Duke nukem's preorders lasted well over 5. This happens with all games and people don't give a shit as the majority don't bother preordering. Your going to moan about this shit moan about EVERY OTHER GAME IN EXISTENCE. Launch day numbers aren't really the amount of people that buy it at that day the majority are perorders. e.g considering diablo 3 sold 3.5 million on launch day without wow subscription sales I'd say there's at least half that games sales were in fact preorders.

Do people not know this? When some news occurs that someone doesn't like they start nitpickin pointlessg unless of course it's they're favourite game then that shit is fine I'm sure.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    I quit a while ago and was pretty disappointed with the game.  Still, I must say that I enjoyed it for a good while when it had just released and am glad I played through it.