Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The choice: New server or existing one?

YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

If you are in a position of wondering what type of server to pick when the game finally launches, then some information regarding such may prove useful.  Now, I'm not trying to convince anyone to pick one over the other, but rather simply call attention to something that many may forget in their thoughts for this.  Firstly, I'll say in the most dramatic way possible, that this relaunch is potentially history in the making.  We've had games launch and relaunch with some minor revisions or a cash shop added to them, but A Realm Reborn is something different entirely; one of the few, if not the only that has completely scraped their old engine and nearly everything from the last game and relaunch as practically an entirely NEW game in the same game world (that it in itself was recrafted).

Many are of the persuasion that starting on a fresh server will allow for them to see how the community and economy grows, and endure the hardships and lack of resources that follow.  That memory years from that point where you say, I was on this server at the start.  Indeed, it is perhaps the only way some of us desire to play the game: at the start, and without any past history to speak of. 

But there is another case here that wasn't exactly present in many other circumstances that games have once new servers are opened.  The fact that those who join in existing server will not only be a part of a helpful community that stayed together through thick and thin in the past, but they will experience what may never again happen in the history of MMORPGs.  They will be a part of server that has be completely transferred from one world that no longer exists, to another that has changes to every single system that was once known.  From the hundreds of thousands of characters files transferred, to the altered currency, and differences in how to acquire items and resources (We may even see new players teaching 1.0 players about some systems that seem simple to fresh players, but complicated to old as the old system wasn't like such).

New servers open almost every week spread across the thousands of MMO, but this is the first time that we will see first hand how a community adapts and comes together to reevaluate everything they once knew, from the simplest quest systems to the storylines and even the economy (and the former lack of an auction house).  This isn't just a patch; this isn't just a number to signify extra content.  This is a completely different game, yet in it exists a people who have to learn it all over again, who come from that world and who have to come together as a community to reevaluate every single item, class, profession, dungeon, map, attack and even the simple things such as traveling.  

This is an opportunity to see how this all happens that will be missed if there is just a blank slate to start on -- something that can be seen, again, on a frequent basis throughout all MMORPG games (and even the future if they open new servers again).

It is a great and exciting time, an experiment and something that could say to publishers, if successful, that such a thing can be done and profitable.  As dramatic as it sounds, we could be seeing the entire genre go down one road, or maintain it's path of "if it's unsuccessful the first time, make it be F2P with cash shop after some changes without fixing the problems".

So I guess the choice is really this:

Do you want to say you were there with the start of a server... or do you want to say you experienced what has rarely happened and may never happen again in the history of MMORPGs?  New players will shape this game no matter if it's a new server or not, as they'll participate and become a part of the reformation and adaptation of a community that is practically just as foreign to the game as they are.  The driving factor of their level brackets, and the foundation of the new economy that will arise from the complete changes the past game and economy had endured during the transition.

In my opinion, the "easy" road is joining an existing server as you will have auction houses filled with every at level item you could want at low prices (or even make friends who will make items for you, which the community is known for).  But it is also the most fascinating decision, and something that could change one's thoughts regarding the future of MMOs in general and how the communities form and adapt therein.

When the release date is upon us, what are your plans (subject to those who think they are going to play)?

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.

Comments

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

I'll be continuing with my old character, but know that some have stated they will be restarting from scratch, though I doubt there be many doing that after all the time they put into creating  and developing their character.  I still have all my crafting jobs to complete and some DoW to work on, so I will have the opportunity to play through the storyline from scratch.

There can be both advantages and disadvantages to starting on existing and new servers, I think it depends how you weigh those disadvantages and advantages up.  The following can be taken as either.

New server.

- Everyone starts on same playing field.

- New linkshells.

- Naming of characters unlikely to be taken.

- Fresh start to economy.

- Everyone is a newb.

Existing server.

- Join freinds who already have been playing.

- Able to aquire gear easier.

- Auction house already stocked with materials.

- probability of help to acheive certain tasks/quests.

- Everyone is a noob

• KingKaioKingKaio Member Posts: 48
    I'm glad SE went this route. Those who have been playing for 2 years can keep their goodies and those who wanted to play from the beginning can start in a fresh new world.

I'm joining a new server. I don't want to be exploited by d-bags screwing with auction houses. I've already been through that in FFXI. 

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by KingKaio
    I'm glad SE went this route. Those who have been playing for 2 years can keep their goodies and those who wanted to play from the beginning can start in a fresh new world.

I'm joining a new server. I don't want to be exploited by d-bags screwing with auction houses. I've already been through that in FFXI. 

That's almost always a worry.  Though ultimately those who start with crafting first (in 1.0 crafting took months just to level one profession unless you played 15 hours a day) will have the monopoly without other crafters there to undercut them or see that they're being too greedy and post it at normal prices.

It is highly likely that new servers will be more subject to exploited auction house than new severs in this case, unless the individual uses their first month of free play just crafting and not playing the game.  I considered starting on a new server myself and make a crafter at the start again, but then by the time I would level it up the server would have max levels, there will be other crafters, and it would basically have meant I wasted a month or two as it would be in the same position as existing servers were (and I had little to no fun as I was only crafting).

On my server at least, I know there are crafting linkshells that regulate the economy in a positive fashion ( looking for gouged prices and setting it back to the norm, or even giving free items out).  There won't be that kind of security on new servers as people will be "greedy" and demand will be high as everyone wants the same thing.

I suppose if one just likes playing games, it would be best to start on an existing; if they're a hardcore crafter they would probably do well on a new server.  Otherwise it could just be potentially putting oneself through lack of materials and items as they level (the resources in which to craft will likely cost 3-5x that of existing servers as well as other people may have the same idea of sacrificing play time to craft), with the economy moving close to how the existing ones would've been on a daily basis.

Someone mentioned Top Tier item trades in another thread and how some were trying to trade their gil for gear in hopes to get more out of the 90% reduction in gil (which still gives the same purchasing power as NPC prices on mats are lowered by that amount as well).  Though the devopers said in a live interview not to do that since it may be easier to get materials, materia and meld in the next game.  This may mean people trying to spike High Tier, High Level items (only effects people at max level at start and not new players), but it will quickly fall in prices as people undercut that, and more and more are acquired with ease.  

I do not see items low-medium tier items at max level to be expensive at all; nor the low level items, which many linkshells may be willing just to flat out give or help with if you're social enough.

Ultimately, if it's the economy you're worried about, FFXIV (experiences on my own server) is a unique case whereby the community was fairly tight (it had to be) and prices were relatively low on everything but the top tier, high demand things (which should be easier to get according to Yoshi-P).  I'm not sure about new servers as they will be flooded by players used to other types of games with a "every man for himself" mentality.

Just a few months after the official release the servers will likely be in the same places.  So I guess it's a matter of if one wants a harder time in those months, or an easier one with the abundance of items and resources available to them.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    I played v1 to 50 , but I'm starting a fresh chr on fresh server and see the new storylines

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701
    Originally posted by DarknessReign
    I played v1 to 50 , but I'm starting a fresh chr on fresh server and see the new storylines

I do believe you still get the new storyline on your character if you already have a character.

Even if that is true , fresh economy no instant inflation or corner of markets. It's a even playing field

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Even if that is true , fresh economy no instant inflation or corner of markets. It's a even playing field

I think you may find that prices will be high for shards to craft with due to the high demand from new players, existing servers have an overwhelming abundance of shards.

• Derza10Derza10 Member Posts: 70
    I like to play sub games because it keeps everyone at the same level... I hate joining sub games that have been out for years because I have a huge disadvantage from the start. For those reasons i will be starting on a new server, no reason to join an existing one just to handicap myself.
    That may be true but I always gather my own , and I have things with my linkshell where we take a day and gather mats and crystals . If you don't need to buy a item then there's no cost all profit

That may be true but I always gather my own , and I have things with my linkshell where we take a day and gather mats and crystals . If you don't need to buy a item then there's no cost all profit

If you have a linkshell that's starting on a new server, you may not have to deal with a lot of the troubles of starting on a new server.  I know crafting shells that are going to new servers just to dominate the market with pooled resources -- something that can't be done on existing servers as there will be people keeping prices low ( or at least the supply will be higher than the demand on most items).

It's probably the best thing to do if you have a group of experts who are used to working together in such a way and quite possibly one of the unique factors that is in this Realm Reborn: the economy may be more manipulated on fresh servers than existing.

My initial analysis may be way off, even if it was a personal estimate based only on what we knew.  Those who dedicate themselves to crafting may still be second class when facing off against these large entities who aren't limited in the same way power gamers might be solo (even if they have 24/7 to play).

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    I'll be starting over on a new server. The most exciting time of an MMO is when everything is "fresh."
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I understand the worthy agenda of the OP and can sympathise, BUT...

Sorry, new server for me.

At the very least I want to minimise the 'the game was better back when...' chat and vets moaning about the changes. We have seen them here already on this forum to an extent.

There's nothing wrong with playing on a new server.  Though from some of the expectations I've seen around the web, many are getting the idea that they will be away from "veteran" players in some aspect.  This will hardly be the case, as there have been more 1.0 players that I've known planning to start on new servers than there are (that I personally know) that will be completely new when doing such.

Crafting linkshells starting on these servers are a very real reality and in bulk; these groups work together unlike anything many have seen and these (again the ones I'm aware of) are doing so solely for the purpose of controlling the entire server without the interference of those who would stop them.

In the end it will just be them at the top a few months down the line, and the server will be at the same spot (if not worse) as existing ones are.

Again, just to play it safe as this is pretty much unprecedented as a whole, I can see why new servers are more inviting just based on past experiences.

I actually intend on being on the RP server, which is an existing one, so the realm will likely be full as it was in the past anyway.  It was originally my intent to start over, but then I had several breakthroughs of sorts in that things will just be as they were in a matter of time and I would've just wasted my time (my time, being that I already leveled the crafts I want, and would just do so again).  Now I just plan to start a new character alongside my old and stick to the old community that I know will be mature and quite helpful as opposed to a influx of players from all types of games.

Edit:  Not to mention that when server transfers are open, many who had characters elsewhere will bring their characters to where ever they resettled which could potentially shake the servers again; many who thought themselves rich would be overshadowed over night and may find their resources cut in half in terms of player driven buying power with items.  It could potentially be devastating to be tops one day after working for such a long time and then be at the bottom almost instantly.  One wouldn't be acclimated to such as they didn't start in a society that was helpful and that has a more stable creation of gil (after all, why transfer to a server that has a lot of gil?  Gil will simply leave the existing servers, which will increase the value of such when comparing it to having large amounts flow in from unmitigated sources).

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I'm going to keep my 1.0 character, but I'm considering starting a new character with a friend on a new server to get that brand new feeling again.
  • Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    i have a existing char on ff14, was there for the bahamu strike. But ill probly more than likly be creating a new chat just to experience the new game content from start to finish....no use picking up a new game if your just gonna play from max lvl already :p

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528

Never played 1.0

Found a "fresh start" guild.

Easy choice for me.

No offense, but when I read the OP, I think of Plankton when he encounters snowflakes: "Come back! I wish to rule you!"

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

I'm quite sure the old servers will die horribly. Considering the economy is built on the old v1.0 version and all of it's updates.

Fresh start, fresh economy and fresh community.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

I'm quite sure the old servers will die horribly. Considering the economy is built on the old v1.0 version and all of it's updates.

Fresh start, fresh economy and fresh community.

They're performing a re-denomination, so people will only have 10% of the gil they had at the end of 1.0.

Besides, people who maxed out all of their classes won't easily give up that progress.

• NemhyNemhy Member Posts: 1
    I have been following this game pretty hard. When did they say that there will be seperate servers for people who want "fresh starts"?  From what I understand the new servers are just so there are servers based in the USA. The previous version had all Japanese servers which made a lot of server lag and ruined some encounters for US players. (like the Ifrit fight)   I don't see why they would lock existing characters onto Japanese servers...makes no sense
  • GgrabGgrab Member UncommonPosts: 1

they mention it a while back , they dont want 1.0 vet controlling the servers

they did redouce the gil 10 to 1 ( if u had 10mil u'll have 1mil  now ) but in my server they were still ppl with cap gil 

im starting in a new server because i want to be part of a bigger and better community , the vet server will be cap with just the few ppl that did play 1.0 til the end

• RelleumRelleum Member UncommonPosts: 4

they are reducing gil to 1/10 yes, but the npc prices of items will also be 1/10. so you really dont lose much.  of course people will try to still sell items high, but when no one buys for those prices, they will lower.  i dont think its going to be as terrible as many people make it seem, although many people would like to be on even playing field with everyone else at the start, completely understandable.

im going to whatever server my LS from 1.0 decides to, at least my maxed main, im definately leveling another character though, but still deciding on that one.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Nemhy
    I have been following this game pretty hard. When did they say that there will be seperate servers for people who want "fresh starts"?  From what I understand the new servers are just so there are servers based in the USA. The previous version had all Japanese servers which made a lot of server lag and ruined some encounters for US players. (like the Ifrit fight)   I don't see why they would lock existing characters onto Japanese servers...makes no sense

They aren't locking existing characters to Japanese servers. They're opening up new servers in each region, designating some as new characters only and others as normal. All vet accounts are then being granted free transfers to any of the 'normal' servers they choose, of which there are some in each region.

There were lots of details released about this a while back, just take a look in the compiled info thread on this forum for links to the source.